Found Deceased PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 *Evelyn Colon* *Arrest* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
While riding down interstate 80 coming home from northern PA I noticed an overpasses had SR written on it. I wonder if this could have something to do with the WSR, As gruesome as it sounds maybe the trucker was looking at a map and used her hand until he could find a piece of paper to write down the area he was interested in dumping her body. I was really close to the area she was found in when I noticed this, probably about 30-40 minutes max.

In this context I'm 99% sure SR means "State Route". I often see it on highways to indicate state-maintained roads. List of state routes in Pennsylvania - Wikipedia
It's more of a PennDOT reference I think - I've only ever seen it on those green overpass signs. I've never heard people call a road State Route 11, for example, they'd just say "Route 11".

However, I'm not sure what a similar road would have been called in the 70's.

Another option might be a "Star Route" mailing address. The wiki article says they were used until the 1970's but I can say I know many people using them until at least 1985 when it became "HCR". Star routes - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I'm always on the lookout for Beth. This girl looks interesting.

Missing Person / NamUs #MP65214
Wanda Ann Herr, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact June 1, 1976
Missing From Gresham, Oregon
Missing Age 19 Years

Height 5' 1" (61 Inches)
Weight 110 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Wanda was last known to be in a group home in Gresham, Oregon before family lost contact with her in June 1976.

Attachments

• Missing Person NamUs #MP65214 Wanda Ann Herr.png
    Missing Person NamUs #MP65214 Wanda Ann Herr.png
    561.6 KB · Views: 65
I'm always on the lookout for Beth. This girl looks interesting.

Missing Person / NamUs #MP65214
Wanda Ann Herr, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact June 1, 1976
Missing From Gresham, Oregon
Missing Age 19 Years

Height 5' 1" (61 Inches)
Weight 110 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Wanda was last known to be in a group home in Gresham, Oregon before family lost contact with her in June 1976.
Very interesting!

Wonder if Wanda had a connection to the letters -S R. as in WSR?
imo, speculation.

While riding down interstate 80 coming home from northern PA I noticed an overpasses had SR written on it. I wonder if this could have something to do with the WSR, As gruesome as it sounds maybe the trucker was looking at a map and used her hand until he could find a piece of paper to write down the area he was interested in dumping her body. I was really close to the area she was found in when I noticed this, probably about 30-40 minutes max.
The first thing that occurred to me was, she took a pen from her purse and started writing directions on her hand of where they were going. West State Road..... It made me think she knew she was in trouble, she knew she'd need to call home and she'd have to give someone directions to find her.

Very interesting!

Wonder if Wanda had a connection to the letters -S R. as in WSR?
imo, speculation.

I couldn't find the name of the place she had been living at in Oregon but I was wondering about that name and the letters.

I searched her name and the town in Oregon and found a woman in the UK that seemed to be talking about a Wanda on ancestry forums. I though that was interesting because of Beth's isotopes saying she was foreign born. Every time I clicked on it though I seemed to lose the post about the Wanda.

Just MOO here...but I highly doubt the letters have anything to do with her name. I often write things on my hands and it is always to help me remember something because I don't have a piece of paper to jot it down on. I believe that it has something to do more of directions or something she was wanting to remember. And thinking about it from a logical standpoint, why would a woman write her initials on her hand? If she was afraid she would of been killed and wanted help identifying her I would think she would of wrote her full name out, not something so cryptic. And also had she had something identifying on her body I would imagine the perp would of made sure to get rid of it...especially with as much time as dismembering her body took, he would of noticed something as identifying as her initials or name.

If I recall, the medical examiners said that Beth Doe's killer knew exactly what they were doing when it came to dismembering a body. It wasn't with the precision of a surgeon, but it was pretty close. Could her killer have been someone who was going to medical school to become a surgeon? Perhaps he was the father of her unborn baby, kept the pregnancy from him for months, and when he found out about it he told her to get an abortion, she refused, and then proceeded to kill her in a fit of rage.

I often think it was someone that hunted deer. In PA we have a lot of Deer Hunters. Many of them also cut their own deer up.

Do we know if a sample/DNA still exists from the fetus? With today's technology, they may get a hit.
Also, the writing on her hand shows She did not have paper available but it was important enough to write down.
Not sure if they have a sample or DNA from the fetus, although they do have DNA and fingerprints on file. (The Doe Network doesn't specify whether it's Beth Doe's or the fetus's, I assumed it's the latter but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

Were there any contents found in her stomach? Maybe we could infer her diet with her teeth. That diet could then be compared to regional variations, and that might give an idea from what community she hailed from.

Just stumbled across this from Nov 1976 poconos newspaper:

"DALLAS -- The Pennsylvania Game Commission will operate two deer checking slations in N o r t h e a s t e r n Pennsylvania d u r i n g the first three days of the 1976 antlercd deer seasons, according lo an announcement by iM.J. Molski, Northeast Division Supervisor. One station will be located at the rest area on the east-bound lane of Interstate 80 near White Haven. The other will be located in the parking lot of the Shohola Waterfowl Area on U.S. lioute 6, about midway between Lake Wallcnpaupack and Milford. Doth stations will be operated f r o m Tuesday to Thursday, inclusive. Successful hunters are requested to cooperate in this vital deer management program by presenting their deer for examination. The deer will be weighed and antlers measured. Age will be determined by examination of the teeth. The general physical condition of the deer, including (lie presence of disease will be noted. These examination stations are part of the Game Commission's continuing efforl to secure important data for proper management of the Commonwealth's vast deer herd. Sufficient personnel will be present lo expedite the examination in order lo eliminate unnecessary delay lo the hunter. Game Commission Biologist Lincoln Lang will be in charge of the White Haven station and Forester Thomas Wcnrick will be in charge of the Shohola Station. In commenting upon the upcoming deer season w h i c h opens November 29, 1976, Supervisor Molski stated that the deer herd in the Northeast Division is at a high level. Field officers report sighting numerous oilier person is not in the line of fire. Visually, the easiest way to do this is for every hunter to wear clothing of u daylight ftourescent orange material. Fluorescent orange does not occur in nature, and no animal or bird has this color. Or perhaps the hunter makes his or her presence known with a friendly, spoken greeting, or possibly through a discreet cough. A noisy exchange might even be necessary. Such an occurrence might deprive a hunter of a shot at a turkey, say, but it is far belter for a hunter to be upset about missing a piece of game than to have a gunshot victim. At any rate, there should be some communication. A rustle in Ihe leaves or brush cannot be recommended to (el another hunter know aboul one's presence, since game can normally be expecled lo make a similar noise, too. Doer-vehicle troihei iiie Whitelail deer are still being killed at a fast pace on highways in Pennsylvania this year, G a m e Commission records show. During Ihe firsl nine months of 1976, Game Commission personnel picked up 14,341 deer which had been killed on roads in the slate. One year ago, during the same time period, there had been 15,343 whitetails recovered from highways in Ihe commonwealth. In 1975, a record 29,914 deer killed on highways in the stale were picked up by Game Commission employes. The number of deer killed on Pennsylvania roads reaches ils peak during Ihe monlhs of November and December, and motorists are warned to be on the lookout for whitetails 24 hours a day everywhere in the commonwealth between now and the end of the year. Must dear be displayed? Many hunters apparently... "

The Pocono Record from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania on November 27, 1976 · Page 18

click show text to see

To me...the handwriting was important to HER. If the killer felt that way, he would have taken care of that before disposing. A lot of effort was made for her not to be ID...
Think this was planned....and the dump site too. I believe the suitcases and handles painted/removed were for camouflage in the brush/water. Handles removed so no snagging on branches or rocks, ect. Killer never thought one would fall open. Seems personable, not random in my opinion. She was about to give birth, and someone wasn't happy about it.

I was just thinking about another person... I don't know if she had been mention here before, but what are your thoughts about Rosemarie Roginski?

Rosemarie Roginski – The Charley Project

Slightly older (I think she was 21 when disappeared), but she has Slovene roots from both - paternal and maternal side...

I was just thinking about another person... I don't know if she had been mention here before, but what are your thoughts about Rosemarie Roginski?

Slightly older (I think she was 21 when disappeared), but she has Slovene roots from both - paternal and maternal side...
Interesting, they do not mention if she was pregnant or not, but her stats suggest it is possible, imo, speculation.
Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'4, 140 - 160 pounds
  • rosemarie_roginski_1.jpg
Roginski, circa 1973

Interesting, they do not mention if she was pregnant or not, but her stats suggest it is possible, imo, speculation.
Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'4, 140 - 160 pounds/QUOTE]

She disappeared in 1973...

Rosemarie has DNA available. (That's how she was ruled out as Perry County Jane Doe - The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) ) If she were Beth Doe, there should've been a DNA hit.

Additionally, her hair looks considerably lighter than Beth Doe's.
JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mommysbabies24