Found Deceased PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 *Evelyn Colon* *Arrest* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Trying to catch up on this case. Interesting ideas on the connection to Europe. Adoption of an older child from an orphanage in Europe may have been why she was brought over.

Maybe a deeply religious couple could have adopted her, she strayed too far from their strict lifestyle by getting pregnant, they brutally murdered her for humiliating them? Could this have been their culture to not bring shame on the family?

Possibly this girl had family (father, brothers, uncle) who abused her and knew the baby would be evidence against them?

... The punishment of cutting off the nose brings to mind the passage in which the prophet Ezekiel (xxiii. 25), after, in the name of the Lord, reproving Israel and Judah for their adulteries (i. e. idolatries) with the Assyrians and Chaldeans, threatens the punishment—' they shall take away thy nose and thy ears,' which Jerome states was actually the punishment of adultery in those nations.

One or both of these mutilations, most generally that of the nose, were also inflicted by other nations, as the Persians and Egyptians, and even the Romans ; but we suspect that among the former, as with the latter, it was less a judicial punishment than a summary infliction by the aggrieved party. It is more than once alluded to as such by the Roman poets...

It would also seem that these mutilations were more usually inflicted on the male than the female adulterer. In Egypt, however, cutting off the nose was the female punishment, and the man was beaten terribly with rods...

LINK:
Adultery - punishment, nose, law, cutting and husband

Did "Beth Doe" have one or both breasts removed?
In ancient times a priest would remove the left breast of an adulteress..
Abraham's Children

In "modern"times..
Isis use torture device dubbed 'The Biter' to impale women who breastfeed in public | Metro News
Dec 2014
"The Biter’, which descriptions suggest is similar to a Medieval torture tool called the ‘Breast Ripper’ or ‘Spider’, is a claw-like device with spikes or ‘teeth’ on the end which was used in the Middle Ages to rip off or shred the breasts of women accused of adultery, abortion or other perceived crimes."
"Residents in the city say that a woman discovered nursing her child at the city’s bus station screamed in pain as Al-Khansa militants used the device on her"

Noting that in these 2 cold cases, each teen had a breast removed/disfigured, Could it be the same perp who killed "Beth"? speculation,fwiw.
San Diego’s Unsolved Cold Cases
"On Aug. 13, 1978, Barbara Nantais and her boyfriend, James Alt, were sleeping on the sand at Torrey Pines State Beach when they were attacked by an unknown suspect or suspects. Nantais – only 15 years old at the time – was raped, and beaten and strangled to death. Detectives discovered the teen’s killer had also severed one of her breasts. Nantais’ killer was never found. Alt survived the violent attack, but suffered a severe head wound that left him semi-conscious with no recollection of the assault. A couple of years ago, Alt told NBC 7 the murder still haunts him. Nantais’ case has similarities to the killing of another San Diego teen, 14-year-old Claire Hough, who was murdered on the same stretch of beach as Nantais. Hough’s breast was also disfigured. Evidence in both cases suggest the killings could have been committed by the same perpetrator."

Perhaps her family were Coptic.that might explain the connection between the nose disfigurement and Egyptian punishments.Tennessee has the largest Coptic diaspora outside Egypt.New Jersey also has a Coptic community

I once watched a documentary about women in the Coptic community who were ostracized for being divorced

The Mediterranean features on her could be a throwback trait when some 13th Armenians went to Egypt and gradually assimilated into the Coptic community

There used to be a thriving Greek community in Egypt until Anwar Sadat took over and expelled most of them during the Arab nationalist/baathist regime in the 60s.many urban Copts of Egypt have recent Greek dna

I once read that many Coptic songs in Church were originally sung to honor the pharaoh but during the christinization period of Egypt the lyrics that had pharaohs were replaced with jesus

Last edited:
In other words the Coptic community keeps Egyptian traditions(no duh) and are from what I gathered,very traditional unlike their neighbors the Maronites who are known for their more modern lifestyle

The Pope of the Coptic Orthodox church has told women of his community to stop using birth control so the community could grow

I have even saw some sectarian Muslims complain about the Coptic birth rate

I wonder why DNA doe project still hasn't taken her in

Granted there might not be a lot of Copts in the diaspora when it comes to DNA sampling/comparison compared to the other Middle Eastern Christian communities such as the Chaldeans,Assyrians,Melkites and Maronites

Thoughts on this women possibly being Beth Doe. I know it says her eyes are blue but I have always thought in the postmortem photo Beth's eyes didn't really look brown. This women seems like she was traveling a bit. Plus her family fears she had joined a cult.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10212115481120738&set=gm.2817157418314793&type=3&theater
I was searching through the different states on the Charlie Projects site. They were one's that boarder TN. I found someone I had not seen before. Her name is Teresa Joanna Gossage. She lived on a military base with her family. She disappeared with her boyfriend in October of 1976. Her height and hair color matches. Eye color is listed as hazel. Does not say she is pregnant but she could have been hiding it.

I want to know if anyone can track down Military records?One of her parents were in the military. I would need to see if we could find records of them being stationed overseas. If this is found then there is even more of a chance since the isotope test suggest that Beth Doe had lived overseas for part of her life. Her family and the family of the person she disappeared with lived on the Fort Leonard wood base in MO.

I am new to websleuths and apologize if I am overstepping. However Teresa Gossage and Alfred Marshal were probably killed by Johnny Lee Thornton. He was an MP on Ft. Leonard Wood who 3 months after their disappearance kidnapped 4 teens two boys two girls killing 3 of them. He killed the two boys and then raped the two girls took them all out in deserted area and shot them again however, 1 girl played dead and walked 6 hours to a home off of the base. 3 Months earlier Thornton was first on the scene of Gossage and Marshal's abandoned car reporting it the next morning and having it towed away. Google, Frozen Tears: The Fort Leonard Wood MP Murders. FT. Wood is 75,000 acres of woods, hills, rivers, and there is no doubt in my mind he killed the two Gossage and Marshal and hid their bodies.

Thornton is still alive in Federal Prison in Arizona.

I am new to websleuths and apologize if I am overstepping. However Teresa Gossage and Alfred Marshal were probably killed by Johnny Lee Thornton. He was an MP on Ft. Leonard Wood who 3 months after their disappearance kidnapped 4 teens two boys two girls killing 3 of them. He killed the two boys and then raped the two girls took them all out in deserted area and shot them again however, 1 girl played dead and walked 6 hours to a home off of the base. 3 Months earlier Thornton was first on the scene of Gossage and Marshal's abandoned car reporting it the next morning and having it towed away. Google, Frozen Tears: The Fort Leonard Wood MP Murders. FT. Wood is 75,000 acres of woods, hills, rivers, and there is no doubt in my mind he killed the two Gossage and Marshal and hid their bodies.

Thornton is still alive in Federal Prison in Arizona.
Welcome to Ws Zach93, thanks for chiming in!
You are not over-stepping at all, although if a link is not posted, just add something like "in my own opinion" imo.

Teresa Joanna Gossage – The Charley Project
"In January 1977, three teenagers were murdered at Fort Leonard Wood while out on a double date. Johnny Lee Thornton, a military police officer, pulled them over as they crossed into the fort, shot the boys to death, sexually assaulted the girls, shot them also, and dumped the four bodies. One girl from the group survived by playing dead. She walked for six miles to the nearest house to call for help."

"In spite of the circumstances, however, no evidence has been found to tie Thornton to Alfred and Teresa's disappearances. He remains in federal prison and the cases are still unsolved."

I wonder why DNA doe project still hasn't taken her in

Granted there might not be a lot of Copts in the diaspora when it comes to DNA sampling/comparison compared to the other Middle Eastern Christian communities such as the Chaldeans,Assyrians,Melkites and Maronites
I read your posts with great interest because in my DNA ethnicity report, I have little Coptic Egyption! I had never even heard the word much less knew what it meant. I had to Google that. Then at Christmas, my 85 year old Slovakian aunt shows me a photo of her maternal great grandmother - first words out of my mouth were - Is she Japanese??? I was shocked at the Asian influence and then I thought back to my DNA results. So I asked both my aunt and my 77 year old Slovakian uncle (they are siblings) if they had Asian DNA in their results. They both immediately said yes as if I had asked the oddest question of all time! My uncle and I are on both Ancestry and 23andMe. I am on GEDmatch and ftDNA - of course opted in on both.

Hmmmm....I always thought the removal of the ears, nose, and breasts were just another way of making an ID difficult. Great theory on the thought of certain religion or custom rituals...makes me think in a whole new direction. Maybe, due to her being pregnant , she was viewed as committing adultery or being with child and unmarried. Also, she was shot in the neck/throat...this is sometimes viewed as meaning to silence one who spoke about something they shouldn't have...loose lips.

Hmmmm....I always thought the removal of the ears, nose, and breasts were just another way of making an ID difficult. Great theory on the thought of certain religion or custom rituals...makes me think in a whole new direction.
Or maybe there was no special meaning and her killer was just particularly disturbed.

While riding down interstate 80 coming home from northern PA I noticed an overpasses had SR written on it. I wonder if this could have something to do with the WSR, As gruesome as it sounds maybe the trucker was looking at a map and used her hand until he could find a piece of paper to write down the area he was interested in dumping her body. I was really close to the area she was found in when I noticed this, probably about 30-40 minutes max.

While riding down interstate 80 coming home from northern PA I noticed an overpasses had SR written on it. I wonder if this could have something to do with the WSR, As gruesome as it sounds maybe the trucker was looking at a map and used her hand until he could find a piece of paper to write down the area he was interested in dumping her body. I was really close to the area she was found in when I noticed this, probably about 30-40 minutes max.
That is interesting, did you see that fairly close to the "dumping" site?

Can we please all suggest Beth Doe to Dna Doe Project ?
This is they new form
Case Suggestion Form
Also have any of you tried to contact the LE about doing Genetic Genealogy on her?Cuz based on the dna doe page it seems like a lot of LE counties reached to them after recieve callings from citiezens
I would love do that but it will be hard since i'm in Europe

If I recall, the medical examiners said that Beth Doe's killer knew exactly what they were doing when it came to dismembering a body. It wasn't with the precision of a surgeon, but it was pretty close. Could her killer have been someone who was going to medical school to become a surgeon? Perhaps he was the father of her unborn baby, kept the pregnancy from him for months, and when he found out about it he told her to get an abortion, she refused, and then proceeded to kill her in a fit of rage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back