Found Deceased PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 *Evelyn Colon* *Arrest* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The prepackaged food is really interesting considering the 70s is the time when more people started relying on convenience items.

I've often thought of Little Miss Panasoffkee being American too. I have some time today. We should all go look at her thread again.

Not to be rude to the classmates posting on ********, but I think they have this Evelyn Colon confused with someone of the same name. They posted a picture of her saying it was for the class of 1976. She was only 15 that year so I don't think it's very likely to be her. Someone earlier posted a picture that they believe to be her and if you look through that same database, another Evelyn Colon comes up who looks more similar to the girl with glasses being posted by former classmates. These pictures are from 1978, 2 years after Evelyn died. Basically, I don't want to question people who seem to have actually known her but it just seems to me that she is being mistaken for someone of the same name

Not to be rude to the classmates posting on ********, but I think they have this Evelyn Colon confused with someone of the same name. They posted a picture of her saying it was for the class of 1976. She was only 15 that year so I don't think it's very likely to be her. Someone earlier posted a picture that they believe to be her and if you look through that same database, another Evelyn Colon comes up who looks more similar to the girl with glasses being posted by former classmates. These pictures are from 1978, 2 years after Evelyn died. Basically, I don't want to question people who seem to have actually known her but it just seems to me that she is being mistaken for someone of the same name
The woman who posted the high school picture also posted a picture of Luis Sierra with the caption:
This is the picture of her killer. Of course back in those days his hair was lighter (that I remember) and so was his mustache. He lived on Sixth Street I believe

And a further comment on another post: I went to school with Evelyn. Used to see this monster watching her everyday. I only just learned about what happened

and: "She never showed up to the High School" so the 1976 image isn't necessarily a picture of a high school graduation? (sorry I don't know how people graduate in America)

The brother has been posting and hasn't denied that it's her but then again the pictures aren't the best so maybe he doesn't know if it is or isn't.

Last edited:
This article states Evelyn couldn't write.
Evelyn Colon Cold Case Details Released | Eyewitness News
Another poster stated she couldn't read.
Was she cognitively impaired? Because, it sounds like she may have been in some way.
Also, if she couldn't write, who wrote the letters and numbers on her hand?

I just read the article and it says the letter was written in Spanish. Then it says that it could not have been from Evelyn because she did not know how to write. Maybe someone along the line was saying she did not know how to write in (Spanish)and that is why they knew the letter was not from her. Could that be the case? Then something got lost in translation and now people are just saying she did not know how to write at all?? For some reason that is what it seems to me.

I for instance was fluent in Spanish even before going to school. My mother insisted on speaking to me in Spanish because she said for the rest of my life I would be speaking English everywhere I went.
BUT reading and writing properly I learned it only when I took Spanish classes in HS. Prior to that I only knew how to speak it and write very little. Iam thinking that is might be the case with her.

Like Alleykins mentions if she did not know how to write then who wrote the letters and numbers on her hand?

below is the snip from the article

Attachments

• 7B4A2660-769B-48A7-8AF0-1AF5D196580F.jpeg
    7B4A2660-769B-48A7-8AF0-1AF5D196580F.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 25
I was reading a LOT of the articles regarding the case. And there was something what made me wonder if I understood it well. And, please, do not think I am judgmental or nosy or curious. Not at all.

It is about Evelyn’s family. It was written that Evelyn did not feel well one day, and she asked her Mom to bring her soup. Her Mom is going there and finds an empty apartment. Her brother said that they found only a baby stroller. Wasn’t that suspicious to them that Evelyn would move out of the apartment without telling them, especially if she spoke to them already that day or day before? And that she would leave the stroller behind when she was heavily pregnant?

Also, it is said that the family did not report Evelyn missing because she was living with her boyfriend. But wasn’t that boyfriend abusive toward her and wasn’t he locking her in the apartment? Were they afraid of him? Or were they afraid that he would take revenge on her if he finds it out?

They were looking around for her for sure. I also read in one article that Luis’s family lived close to Evelyn’s family. Couldn’t they provide any information about Evelyn and Luis?

There is one gruesome detail. I will put it in white letters. I think that I read that baby was cut out of her womb and if Luis did it, he should’ve known the gender. Why would he write then that a baby boy was born?

Also, her brother said that she didn’t look like any of her composite drawings, but her niece said that she did.

I know – it is too many questions and maybe some of them will be answered later. I was just wondering if I got it right.

With the advent of forensic genealogy, which can tell us who a specific person is with certainty, there is zero need for a “science” that tells us a geographic region that the person MIGHT come from. Don’t be a bit surprised if it turns out that the Lake Panasoffkee doe isn’t from Greece at all.
The Lake Panasoffkee JD isotopes were done by the same people. So you might be right.

Anyway, familial DNA, and genealogy and family trees came through once again. But only because the nephew left his DNA profile public so they could find their missing aunt. And because the officials decided to used the service which is not always the case.

If not for that, we'd still be left looking at the old fashioned clues, including those from the sciences like isotope analysis I personally can attest that isotope analysis works for forensic anthropology and for John/Jane Doe's from before 1940.

I guess now we're learning the limits of the science. As you say, it no longer make sense in the age of bottled water. Maybe the tap water was not drinkable in her area.

I was reading a LOT of the articles regarding the case. And there was something what made me wonder if I understood it well. And, please, do not think I am judgmental or nosy or curious. Not at all.

It is about Evelyn’s family. It was written that Evelyn did not feel well one day, and she asked her Mom to bring her soup. Her Mom is going there and finds an empty apartment. Her brother said that they found only a baby stroller. Wasn’t that suspicious to them that Evelyn would move out of the apartment without telling them, especially if she spoke to them already that day or day before? And that she would leave the stroller behind when she was heavily pregnant?

Also, it is said that the family did not report Evelyn missing because she was living with her boyfriend. But wasn’t that boyfriend abusive toward her and wasn’t he locking her in the apartment? Were they afraid of him? Or were they afraid that he would take revenge on her if he finds it out?

They were looking around for her for sure. I also read in one article that Luis’s family lived close to Evelyn’s family. Couldn’t they provide any information about Evelyn and Luis?

There is one gruesome detail. I will put it in white letters. I think that I read that baby was cut out of her womb and if Luis did it, he should’ve known the gender. Why would he write then that a baby boy was born?

Also, her brother said that she didn’t look like any of her composite drawings, but her niece said that she did.

I know – it is too many questions and maybe some of them will be answered later. I was just wondering if I got it right.

I have to say I have had the same question about the soup episode. She called her mom to make her scrumptious homemade soup. Her mom went over and the entire apartment was cleaned out except for a baby stroller.
I would think the mother found it odd. It’s not like they had a big fight and Evelyn left. The last thing she spoke to her mom about was not feeling well and having her mom come over.
Iam thinking there must be pieces to the whole story that are missing.

I can say, I have the same questions. Probably more. It’s baffling to me. I can also say, speaking from experience, that having a missing family member is hard. No matter what your relation, it’s unpredictable. I have told my cousin’s story from a 2nd/3rd hand point of view, and she went missing only a handful of years ago. And we were close. I can’t even imagine being a distant (or close) relative AND during the 70’s. I am by no means trying to “be mean”, but I see things from a few perspectives. It’s hard! Things are almost never what they seem.

I’ve obsessed over Evelyn’s death more now than ever and it’s one of the most heartbreaking cases. I know justice will be served.

I expect that some of these inconsistencies or head-scratching "facts" now being documented are confusing us because news sources are scrambling for info in the immediate wake of Evelyn's identification and charges laid against LS, and are choosing to publish first, possibly clarify later. Also, the family members being interviewed were mostly children at the time of Evelyn's disappearance, and their memory of the timeline may be sketchy.

My ideas on some of your questions:

– Regarding the soup, in one news source I saw a relative was quoted as saying the soup was not delivered the same day that Evelyn asked for it, but later in the week.

– I can't address anything about what LS' family might have known, but he was legally an adult and may not have been in regular contact with them, as it seemed 15-year-old Evelyn was with her own family. Even her family seemed to view it as not abnormal that a man and "woman" with their own apartment might decide to up and move without giving advance notice to family, without saying where they'd gone, and without making further contact beyond one "we're fine" note.

– The niece and brother may well have different recollections of Evelyn's appearance. Perhaps there were not many family photos to aid their very youthful memories. (This was the era of film, and processing usually cost more than the film roll did, so people didn't take nearly the number of pictures we're now used to.)

– I agree with a poster above who said that LS claiming the baby was a boy was an expression of his misogyny, or possibly of machismo. Even though he'd killed the baby, it apparently was generally understood by those who knew the pair that this was his child, and he may have wanted people to think he'd fathered a son, because that made him feel more virile than acknowledging a daughter did. (It's really revolting to me that he apparently had no problem at all referencing his baby as alive and healthy in the misleading letter to poor Evelyn's family, when he knew exactly what he'd done to that baby and its mother. That is bone-chillingly cold.)

– Apparently Evelyn told her mother that LS might kill her, but it seems that was not taken seriously even when Evelyn disappeared. I find this hard to fathom, but we are coming at it from the perspective of 45 years later. Domestic abuse was usually not even considered an offense worth interfering in then. A man's home was his castle and all that. Maybe Evelyn's comment was just seen as something a dramatic teen girl would say to get attention. Or maybe a certain level of men "disciplining" "their" women was seen as unremarkable by her family. :(

I hope these and other confusing points in the narrative of these first few days will be clarified in the weeks ahead, and that the case continues to draw a good amount of interest and coverage. Evelyn deserves to be recognized as a young woman whose potential was stolen from her by a brute at a tender age, her almost-born daughter Emily Grace deserves to be recognized as an innocent victim of a callous monster, and their murderer's name – the one person who, above all, should have cherished and defended them in his household – should go down in infamy.

Last edited:

You're not alone, I have some similar questions. It appears there is more to the story. You have a point, it doesn't add up that a child in her condition, who was ill and had called her mother for help, who may not have been able to read and write and possibly may have had cognitive impairments, and was known by the family to be with an abusive man, was not reported missing. I apologize if this sounds cold, but this is weighing heavy on my heart. If she were an adult, I could stomach it and accept it, but, under the circumstances, I find it upsetting how her disappearance was handled.

As to why the letter stated her as having a boy, it probably has to do with the timing. If she & the baby were found before the letter was written, who ever wrote it most likely read about it or saw it in the news, and the wrong gender was deliberately mentioned as a red herring. So, if her family got wind of the murders, it wouldn't set off any red flags it could be her. She was found mere hours away, so chances are it was in the local paper and the local news.
Lastly, I hope they find whoever wrote that letter, because if someone other than the murderer wrote it to cover for the person who murdered her, I want them held accountable, too. Did the family state they still had it?

How far is White Haven from Jersey City?

As for some family members saying reconstructions looked like her and some not, I think maybe some people were looking for more exact details and some were just looking at "the bigger picture". She also had her nose severed, so maybe they were putting more stock into her nose. Unfortunately, the photos of her are so blurry it's really hard to make out any features and compare. :(

I think it'd be helpful to know if English or Spanish was her first language because nobody seems clear on that.

I wonder if she was having Braxton Hicks contractions and that's why she was feeling unwell and asked her mom for soup.

I really want to know why Luis's family never asked him why they never saw Evelyn and baby Emily, presuming he was still in touch with them. Did he just say Evelyn got cold feet and took off 9 months pregnant?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nocturnalmeee
Back