Pageant/showbiz moms show?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
tipper said:
Whatever the Ramseys spent on the pageants they could afford it.

And therein lies the problem. What happens when you give a wino on the street money? Give him enough and he''ll drink himself to death.

The Ramsey's money eased the constraints on a personality that had difficulty mediating it's impulses. Twelve Christmas trees???? Remodeling a house to the tune of 50% of the purchase price???? It's like giving Erric Harris the keys to the gun store.

The odd thing to me is that Patsy downplays the amount of money/time spent on the pageants.

Most people I know--especially the more "noveau riche" type--and even to some extent the old money types--will not hesitate to openly admit the costs of the more expensive activities or sports. It is more or less a source of pride to be able to say "I can afford this for my kid," even if it's done in a sort of "Oh my God, I can't BELIEVE how much I spent last week on this ....but you know it's all for little Johnny or Janie!"

Did Patsy feel guilty about the involvement required for the pageants, and she wasn't willing to openly admit the emotional and financial investment in them? Pageants are far more than a "weekend" thing. Nobody with children NEEDS something to do "on the weekends." Pageants in particular are very time-consuming--not like a two hour soccer or baseball game--they require hours of prep before hand with the costume plans and purchases, the talent rehearsals, etc--dancing and singing lessons and rehearsals--

It isn't the pageants, it's Patsy's attitude of downplaying them that has me puzzled. She seems defensive about them in most every comment she made. Why? Was it because pageants seem to be more the hobby (lack of better word) of more lower-income people--or was she aware that it was more her choice of activity rather than JB's? (I actually have a former relative who did the pageants thing with her child...Despite the money involved it seems more of a lower class/income "ticket to riches" activity--the upper classes going for horses, ballet, tennis, golf...all sports involving private facilities and teachers for practise as well as $$$)

Again, it's not the activity, it's the whole attitude that has me suspicious of something else going on here.

An interesting and somewhat humorous look at Kiddie Pageants is on the Show Ruby Wax's American Pie. There is even a reference to JonBenet.

Cherokee, just had to tell you that our town has a "Miss Cherokee" pageant. I know you are honored. :p LOL

The following is my opinion and meant solely for discussion purposes.

I have some very strong opinions about the industry of pageants for children and the show on Bravo.

First the show on Bravo - I watched last night. They showcased 5 families and out of the 5, I'd say ONLY one kid and mother had it on the ball and were doing it for the right reasons.

The mother of the boy in Florida is convinced her kid will be a teen idol. The child has no talent. Quit pushing him or find pros to tell you that. You are NOT Paula Abdul in a garage.

The mother of two daughters in CA has put her life on hold to focus on the career of one child. She has forgotten about school, grades and her husband and IMO stands to lose everything. Plus her daughter is beginning to be an all American PITA teen. Deal with what you need to deal with and find some balance in your lives.

The single black mom in CA has the right attitude for her child. It appears acting is what Jordan wants to do and she has a talent, but her mom is in the right place providing support and love with a balanced lifestyle and will step back and let the pros (directors, etc) do the acting work, while she remains mom. I bet if her daughter decided to not act and to play sports she'd be just as supportive and Jordan will be a success.

The father in NY who uprooted his family from a home in Vermont to a two bedroom apartment in NY to pursue HIS dream for them all, is just plain NUTS. Somewhere this guy with seven kids has not come out of the closet and the entire family is headed for therapy if one of his kids don't murder him first. He has a bad holier than thou attitude and is headed for disaster.

And the mother in FL who, with the grandmother, is pushing her four year old in pageants to obtain that great collection of crowns and trophies is just wrong. I agree it is one thing to try a pretty baby contest, but I personally am against children's pageant where glitz and glamour is the highlight and those fluffly little dresses cost over $400. IMHO the bottom line with those are the organizers are in it for the money. Pageants, when run like this, working off the insecurities of mothers and babies are run by people who's sole purpose is to make money. There is no higher purpose in it.

I also have some strong opinions about why JonBenet was in pageants. From Patsy's perspective there was a need or an emptyness to fill and I think it was a generational one. Both she and Pam were pushed by Nedra to fill a void and prove themselves. Kinda tough, when no matter what you do, it's not good enough. I have seen the claim that Nedra was so proud that she was the mother of the first sister team at Miss America. A claim that is totally false. There were sister teams at Miss America long before Patsy and Pam. Something was wrong in the Paugh household for many years and it drifted down to JonBenet. There was no need to submit this child to this type of routine. If she wanted to be "presented" she need only sing or dance in school or church. Not compete in expensive clothing as a prized posession. I have always maintained the most telling piece of evidence as to what Patsy thought of her children was on a Christmas video where she (sitting with Burke and JB in matching sweaters) says, "Hi, I'm Patsy Ramsey, this is burke and THIS IS JONBENET!" Poor burke (with a lower case) must not have mattered much to his mom.

Sleuthie

(Official Disclaimer - as in all items, this is my opinion, based on fact, experience and sometimes conjecture!)

Sleuthie_lu said:
From Patsy's perspective there was a need or an emptyness to fill and I think it was a generational one. Both she and Pam were pushed by Nedra to fill a void and prove themselves. Kinda tough, when no matter what you do, it's not good enough...

Something was wrong in the Paugh household for many years and it drifted down to JonBenet.
I completely agree, Sleuthie_lu.

Thanks for posting your report of the show. :) Interesting. I wonder if the show will be on again ?

Ivy said:
Well, they should, Toth. I heard on CNN the other day that kids who are adept at playing video games have good eye/hand coordination and make excellent surgeons.
Or sharpshooters, or folely artists, etc.
But surgeon-hopefuls would do better to study chemistry and biology and anatomy rather than video games.

Sleuthie said "Somewhere this guy with seven kids has not come out of the closet and the entire family is headed for therapy if one of his kids don't murder him first."

That is exactly how I felt about this guy! Plus he kinda gave me the creeps!

I also totally agree about the cute little black girl. I fell asleep before it was over, but that little 4 year old broke my heart, with her fake tan, big hair and crazy mom pouring pixie sticks down her throat.

And you are correct again, the Aaron Carter lookalike has no singing talent whatsoever!

"Meet the Nutters" sounds like a big hit to me :D NOT!

I agree with the two recaps above. I too fell asleep before the show ended.

I didn't watch the show, I have a former sister-in-law who did the pageant thing, I saw enough of it with her.

Fortunately, (for the child) she had NO talent whatsoever that could be exploited, so her mama put her in cheerleading instead.

My parents once when looking at homes for sale, saw one with a "pageant" daughter. The family had mirrored the walls of the study and filled them with glass shelves, upon which were dozens of trophies, many of them as tall as a child.

It was obvious that the pageants were equally, if not more so, important to the parents, than the child. I've never seen a parent who displayed their son's baseball trophies in a special room, for example. (At least until they entered the majors!)

Texana said:
I've never seen a parent who displayed their son's baseball trophies in a special room, for example. (At least until they entered the majors!)

Texana, that's an interesting comment. It reminded me of this comment:

"Mom, am I fat? What's wrong with me? Everybody's oohing and aahing over her. You know, because of course, she's so perfect."

Burke Ramsey

JMO

As far as I am concerned, child beauty pageants should be illegal. I don't care how much fun they are or could be. Children need to look like children, not small sex kittens. Quite apart from the fact they it teaches children at a very young age that being good looking is all that counts.

FWIW, I think that if Patsy had JB's hair bleached she should be charged with child abuse.

JonBenet wanted to be an olympic ice skater yet I have not read anywhere where Jonbenet received any ice-skating lessons.

What did Patsy Ramsey do for Patsy Ramsey?

Brefie said:
As far as I am concerned, child beauty pageants should be illegal. I don't care how much fun they are or could be. Children need to look like children, not small sex kittens. Quite apart from the fact they it teaches children at a very young age that being good looking is all that counts.

I agree wholeheartedly.

FWIW, I think that if Patsy had JB's hair bleached she should be charged with child abuse.

Then charge her, because Pam Paugh (Patsy's sister) admitted that JonBenet's hair had been bleached blonde.

http://thewebsafe.tripod.com/09161997vanityfair.htm

>"Paugh concedes that JonBenet's hair was lightened, which Patsy always denied."<

IMO

Toltec said:
JonBenet wanted to be an olympic ice skater yet I have not read anywhere where Jonbenet received any ice-skating lessons.

What did Patsy Ramsey do for Patsy Ramsey?
Did she ask for ice-skating lessons?

>"Paugh concedes that JonBenet's hair was lightened, which Patsy always denied."<

She then goes on to brag that she designed the clothes? Is she hoping for a job offer?

"That child wore so little make up...." Honey, that child was 6. The only make up she should have been wearing was when playing dress up, and the make up should have been all over her face as though a 6 yr old applied it - not "a Chanel make up artist."

She should also be charged with child abuse. Sounds like all the Paugh women should be.

It's absolutely sickening.

Cherokee said:
Then charge her, because Pam Paugh (Patsy's sister) admitted that JonBenet's hair had been bleached blonde.

IMO

Maybe it not too late. If the statute of limitations hasn't run out, bring 3rd degree mental child abuse charges.

Toltec said:
That would have required Patsy to submit control over her daughter to a coach, which includes her "style", make-up and dress. I don't think Patsy would have ever been willing to be second fiddle to another adult in total control over her daughter's life.

cookie said:
"I'd like to see how many kids would be playing Little League baseball if it cost their parents thousands of dollars for the equipment to play in."

Oh, there would certainly be some no matter what the costs. There are many goofy parents out there that just can't accept the fact that their little Johnny or Joanie might actually be in something and not be a standout when it comes to their ability. My grandson falls into that classification. He is getting private batting lessons for little league for Pete's sake and he is only seven years old. Little League baseball and other young sports like that should be strictly for their entertainment and not to further the parents ego. I have a HUGE problem with parents who want and expect their children to be the best of everything in everything they do. Simply teach them to try to DO their best and be happy with themselves, the rest is parent gratification.
We know a little league parent like that. Their son is ten, they are convinced he will be a Major League Pitcher one day. They send him to training camps all over, buy him books on the greats, the child though too is obsessed with baseball, BUT he is now have recurring injuries and stress fractures no child that age should have from wear. That's not right!

We also know soccer parents who are totally obsessed with their child getting a scholarship. These kids are on traveling competitive teams, for which the try-outs each year are big time! But, statistics show, the kids that have been doing this from 5 years of age on will burn out on soccer by then, if they are on two or three different teams at a time, and many will leave the sport once THEY have the choice.

You will find parents like this also in areas where the Cheerleading squad or Dance squad is the status symbol too. What happens when the child simply can't meet the parents expectations physcially or emotionally anymore?? I think you could search through just the court tv files or about.com and find lots of examples.

As a child I was an Irish dancer. That hobby is too expensive for words, but I can tell you this; my parents never forced me to anything. The agreement was that if I let them spend the money, then I would go to class twice a week. END OF STORY. I had very elaborate costumes and hair accessories that cost a fortune, but if I didn't want to compete, then I didn't have to and so help me if I cried for not winning, because I was going to hear all about what a brat I looked when I got home.
I used to hear the mothers promising new costumes, new anything really 'if you win'.
Not to mention all the, "Well I thought my Sarah should have won that."
My mother would never have said anything of the sort. On occassion she said to me, "I thought you deserved to do better, but that's what thought does."
Make Up - NO WAY! Mother wouldn't allow it - dance teacher wouldn't allow it. Although now I believe even Irish dancing competitions are like pageants with a specific talent section.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back