Parents of third graders outraged at diversity tape

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dark Knight said:
Don't knock it 'til you try it. :p
rofl! Ya know, I'd prolly end up in the er cause I tend to be a bit clumsy. OUCH!

Nova said:
In my experience, religious faith is often a source not only of comfort, but of great good on the part of believers.

But that is not to say that a religion-based society is ultimately a healthy one. In fact, one can argue that many religions are entirely incompatible with democratic functions.
You and I have both agreed in the past that the Catholic Church has done a LOT to alleviate human suffering, via Catholic Relief Services, various missionary groups, the Vatican itself, etc. Billions upon billions of dollars and labor have been spent on the poor and the suffering.

I would tend to agree that there would be some democratic drawbacks to a theocracy, but some countries, such as Isreal, do a decent job with it.

Kitty5001 said:
...why should I subject my children to gay relationships simply because you think it's best?

Children are "subjected" (if you want to call it that) to greed, lust, murder, slavery, genocide, starvation, torture and war. And that's just in history class.

Why is the domestic relationship between two consenting adults more dangerous than the many other things they learn about? You are still free to tell them you disapprove when they get home.

Nova said:
Um, ladies, please. Most of our accoutrement are far smaller than the "girls" Jeana and the rest of you take on your motorcycle rides. And they don't get in the way of our carrying things.
Hmmm I'm wondering though....does it hurt worse or not as bad as when I closed the door on my...uh...assets? I don't think that sent me crying on the floor lol

BhamMama said:
rofl! Ya know, I'd prolly end up in the er cause I tend to be a bit clumsy. OUCH!
:eek: Well, I can tell you, once you've worn one long enough, you learn to be VERY careful with it! :D

Nova said:
Um, ladies, please. Most of our accoutrement are far smaller than the "girls" Jeana and the rest of you take on your motorcycle rides. And they don't get in the way of our carrying things.
But to paraphrase Paul Harvey, if we were logical, MEN would be the ones who ride a horse side-saddle! :crazy:

Dark Knight said:
You and I have both agreed in the past that the Catholic Church has done a LOT to alleviate human suffering, via Catholic Relief Services, various missionary groups, the Vatican itself, etc. Billions upon billions of dollars and labor have been spent on the poor and the suffering.

I would tend to agree that there would be some democratic drawbacks to a theocracy, but some countries, such as Isreal, do a decent job with it.

Absolutely, DK. I hope you didn't think I was retracting my earlier statements.

I agree with you that for many people, religion is a great source of good. And that churches do great good for many people.

(I don't agree that religious faith is the only source of good, or that churches are the only institutions that do good for many. But that's another argument.)

I just want church and state kept separate.

Dark Knight said:
But to paraphrase Paul Harvey, if we were logical, MEN would be the ones who ride a horse side-saddle! :crazy:

I just heard that for the first time the other day and it totally cracked me up! It's so true!

BhamMama said:
Again, it's not the gay relationship I'm saying you need to teach. I'm not caring if your kid ever knows or learns about anything. My stance is GOVERNMENT stepping in and pushing any kind of anything on parents using schools as their medium.

The quote from above you are using as a basis for your argument is in direct relation to the things said about religion. It was said that religion should be in everything and I'm saying uh...no, it shouldn't.

The school thing, the gay subject are seperate. I was talking directly to those and not to the school thing. I don't have a dog in that race as I don't send my kids to public schools. And after these types of conversations I'm soooo glad they've never been subjected to that environment.
Gotcha- I agree that there is no place in the school system for any of it. I meant that religion needs to play a part in our lives not necessarily in the schools for a teaching mechanism but in our own private lives when we make choices. As far as the school system goes, the government better not be pushing anything but math, social studies, reading and science to my children.

Since I have given up ALL hope of getting back on topic here, let me just say that in MY OPINION...

Religion was specifically designed by MEN to help 'control' the actions of other men. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now.

"Why not?", you say.

"The human brain.", I reply. Enough said.

SeriouslySearching said:
Since I have given up ALL hope of getting back on topic here, let me just say that in MY OPINION...

Religion was specifically designed by MEN to help 'control' the actions of other men. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now.

"Why not?", you say.

Oh brother. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

SeriouslySearching said:

"Why not?", you say.

Chuckle.

narlacat said:
Yeah why?

Is that a trick question?
LOL! Sorry, I'll be nicer from now on, even when you post off the wall comments that drive me crazier than usual. :)

Kitty5001 said:
Gotcha- I agree that there is no place in the school system for any of it. I meant that religion needs to play a part in our lives not necessarily in the schools for a teaching mechanism but in our own private lives when we make choices. As far as the school system goes, the government better not be pushing anything but math, social studies, reading and science to my children.

Gay domestic partnerships are one subject of social studies. Now I'm not saying kids need a whole chapter on the subject. But looking at the different forms that families take is very much an appropriate aspect of the field.

Nova said:
Gay domestic partnerships are one subject of social studies. Now I'm not saying kids need a whole chapter on the subject. But looking at the different forms that families take is very much an appropriate aspect of the field.

Can't say that I agree with you. I don't feel that discussion in the school about single parents, married parents, gay parents, or monkey parents belong in academics- those discussions belong at home.

Dark Knight said:
LOL! Sorry, I'll be nicer from now on, even when you post off the wall comments that drive me crazier than usual. :)
Omg, what's with you today :p

I've woken up in a different dimension obviously LOL

What did you mean, did I sleep?

Was that a dig?

Ahh it doesn't matter....carry on, Kitty needs you.

narlacat said:
Omg, what's with you today :p

I've woken up in a different dimension obviously LOL

What did you mean, did I sleep?

Was that a dig?

Ahh it doesn't matter....carry on, Kitty needs you.
aww you being sweet? ;)

Kitty5001 said:
Can't say that I agree with you. I don't feel that discussion in the school about single parents, married parents, gay parents, or monkey parents belong in academics- those discussions belong at home.

Yes, and here we are - 700 posts later - and I'm still asking, "Why not?"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back