Paris - Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, Apr 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Incendie de la cathédrale de Nantes : ce que l'on sait du bénévole passé aux aveux

Placed in police custody for the second time on Saturday, the Rwandan-born volunteer confessed to setting fire to the Nantes cathedral. He has been indicted.

After several hours of a second police custody, he finally confessed. Questioned Saturday, the volunteer of the diocese of Nantes Cathedral, responsible for closing the building after the departure of visitors, admitted to be the author of the fire that ravaged the great organ of the building. He told investigators, at around 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning, that he had "lit the three sources of the fire in the cathedral," as the Nantes public prosecutor, Pierre Sennès, described.

BBM

Incendie de la cathédrale de Nantes : ce que l'on sait du bénévole passé aux aveux

Placed in police custody for the second time on Saturday, the Rwandan-born volunteer confessed to setting fire to the Nantes cathedral. He has been indicted.

After several hours of a second police custody, he finally confessed. Questioned Saturday, the volunteer of the diocese of Nantes Cathedral, responsible for closing the building after the departure of visitors, admitted to be the author of the fire that ravaged the great organ of the building. He told investigators, at around 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning, that he had "lit the three sources of the fire in the cathedral," as the Nantes public prosecutor, Pierre Sennès, described.

BBM
What an ungrateful idiot! "Casting pearls before swine" imo. rbbm.
Rwandan asylum seeker admits to setting French cathedral on fire
"My client has cooperated," lawyer Quentin Chabert told the Presse-Ocean newspaper on Sunday, without elaborating on motives for attempting to burn down the Cathedral of Saint Peter and Saint Paul.

"He bitterly regrets his actions ... My client is consumed with remorse," Chabert said.''

''While firefighters were able to contain the Nantes blaze after just two hours and save the cathedral's main structure, the famed organ, which dated from 1621 and had survived the French Revolution and World War II bombardment, was destroyed.

Also lost were priceless artefacts and paintings, including a work by the 19th-century artist Hippolyte Flandrin and stained glass windows that contained remnants of 16th-century glass.''

Last edited:
Crime like this are the reason why many French don't want so-called "asylum seekers" in their country...
I hope this <modsnip> gets a lengthy sentence.... (it's not gonna happen, I know...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Crime like this are the reason why many French don't want so-called "asylum seekers" in their country...
I hope this <modsnip> gets a lengthy sentence.... (it's not gonna happen, I know...)

It really makes me wonder if the fire at Notre Dame was an "accident". Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
The unbelievable truth behind the Notre-Dame fire

Now, with his new film Notre-Dame on Fire, director Jean-Jacques Annaud (The Name of the Rose) has turned these real-life events into one of the most compelling dramas of the year. Approached with the idea of making a documentary, the 78-year-old Oscar winner, whose other films include Enemy at the Gates and Seven Years in Tibet, saw the dramatic potential of recreating the fire when he began researching precisely what had happened.

“I read the early articles,” he tells me. “I had the feeling that I was dealing with talented journalists who were inventing elements similar to very good screenplay writers in Hollywood. Frankly, I said to myself, this cannot be true. This is invented. It’s impossible.”
Annaud set about contacting those who were involved on that fateful evening – conducting more than 150 interviews – “and what they revealed to me was far more bizarre, more incredible, or should I say, not credible – yet it was the truth.”

In fact, so many new details came out, he says, that “I was asked to see the justice department, which I refused because I am a film-maker and I don’t belong to the police department. But I’ve learnt so many things, even after finishing the movie... people will tell a film-maker things that they wouldn’t trust to the justice department.”

These included documents from a French chemist at Shanghai University, which showed that the timbers had been sprayed a year earlier with an anti-fungal gel – Xilix Gel Fongi+ – that made them more flammable. “Neighbours from the very narrow streets close to the cathedral had remembered the smell of it being applied … it was on all of the carpentry.
“I learnt from the factory that the spray comes with a warning: ‘In case of fire never use water.’ Because water on that product will intensify the size of the flames. I said it to the firemen. I had the impression that they had no idea … that they were not informed.
“There were so many mistakes, so many misfunctioning elements. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong.”

BBM

much more at link (paywall)

The unbelievable truth behind the Notre-Dame fire

Now, with his new film Notre-Dame on Fire, director Jean-Jacques Annaud (The Name of the Rose) has turned these real-life events into one of the most compelling dramas of the year. Approached with the idea of making a documentary, the 78-year-old Oscar winner, whose other films include Enemy at the Gates and Seven Years in Tibet, saw the dramatic potential of recreating the fire when he began researching precisely what had happened.

“I read the early articles,” he tells me. “I had the feeling that I was dealing with talented journalists who were inventing elements similar to very good screenplay writers in Hollywood. Frankly, I said to myself, this cannot be true. This is invented. It’s impossible.”
Annaud set about contacting those who were involved on that fateful evening – conducting more than 150 interviews – “and what they revealed to me was far more bizarre, more incredible, or should I say, not credible – yet it was the truth.”

In fact, so many new details came out, he says, that “I was asked to see the justice department, which I refused because I am a film-maker and I don’t belong to the police department. But I’ve learnt so many things, even after finishing the movie... people will tell a film-maker things that they wouldn’t trust to the justice department.”

These included documents from a French chemist at Shanghai University, which showed that the timbers had been sprayed a year earlier with an anti-fungal gel – Xilix Gel Fongi+ – that made them more flammable. “Neighbours from the very narrow streets close to the cathedral had remembered the smell of it being applied … it was on all of the carpentry.
“I learnt from the factory that the spray comes with a warning: ‘In case of fire never use water.’ Because water on that product will intensify the size of the flames. I said it to the firemen. I had the impression that they had no idea … that they were not informed.
“There were so many mistakes, so many misfunctioning elements. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong.”

BBM

much more at link (paywall)

I want to see this movie!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member