Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The judge was correct. The jurors asked for guidence on what to do if they couldn't reach a unanimous decision. imo

Not getting where judge is "correct"? Jury sent out note stating they had QUESTION......

QUESTION was...."...what to do IF they couldn't reach a unanimous decision?"

Judge STATED in open court...

"The jury CANNOT reach a unanimous decision...", then proceeded to state she sent back helpful guideline....

Now where did judge correctly get information from jury that they COULD NOT reach unanimous?????

ETA: Judge must be having incredibly bad day...first *forgets* something as important as jury instruction in death penalty case, and now appears to have made major faux paux in interpreting jury question....wonder if jury is shaking heads and saying WTH???!!!

:wave:

Attention Please!

Wow! I thought we were almost done here, now I dunno. Looks like we'll be here for awhile. Might as well move over to a new thread for this afternoon. This thread will close in about 15 minutes.

Please continue the discussion here

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9479527#post9479527"]Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #3 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Life in general prison population certainly isn't a vacation. This girl isn't street wise, she'll never make it unless she separated from them. I'm good with the Judge making the decision. I have had enough of this.

Tuba - Can you weigh in on this development???? PLEASE????

I can tell you this...IF this jury does not give this heinous murderer the Death Penalty. I will become the leader of a movement in this country to implement safeguards in the jury selection process that ENSURES when a juror states they are able to give DP when applicable, that there is VALIDITY and VERACITY to their claims.

I FIRMLY DISAGREE. JSS will give her life WITHOUT PAROLE...she has seen her lie and commit perjury on the stand. She will not be givinb her chance for parole. So what does the state have to lose? They can re-try this part and possibly get death verdict second time around.

Zippity doo dah, LWOP. She can be popular! Oh what a beautiful day! *eyeroll ala Samantha!*

I'd much rather have the jury disband and a new jury seated for the sentence, than have the DP jurors overridden because they just want out.

DEAR GOD NO! AZ has spent $2 Million dollars on this Killer so another jury will cost about 1/2 Million more. Then, Jodi can bask in the limelight of her supposed celebrity and Travis' family will be forced to endure another couple months with NO Justice.

The thought of a mistrial at this point is terrifying.

I love Beth Karas, but she just said she feels since the jury is split the state should take DP off the table! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Anyone think Juan would actually do this? I want a new jury just like we've been told would happen...

Come on Jurors who are hold-outs...have you forgotten this from yesterday???

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34264&stc=1&d=1369251111

I think the state will take DP of the table versus another expensive trial. They are aware that the citizens of AZ know how costly this has already been

Page all screwed up right now. Completely confused about this. If they can not come to a unanimous decision they will need a new jury? How will that all work? How can they find 12 new AZ citizens who have not heard any of this case or heard the murderer speak in her interviews? Not to mention if these new people were to be taken seriously they would have to hear all of the evidence in the courtroom. If that is how it is then this is beyond stupid. Hung jury should mean judge gets to decide what life sentence she gets.

BBM. How convenient for CKJA! I'm sure nobody on her DT thought that this (inability to reach a decision) might happen, and her running out and talking to everyone in sight would seriously taint the possible jury pool! :banghead:

I apologize if I come across as grouchy. It's sad to see the family in such a broken hearted state of mind. I know we all agree to disagree and sometimes we rub each other wrong! Because what we say sometimes doesnt come across the way we want it too. So much frustration waiting for this poor family to go on with their lives.
Sorry if I've offended anyone
Not my intent

Prayers for the jury and the Alexander Family. G-d, give them strength.

unless Arizona is different than other states in this regards, that is not true.

I have watched plenty of "interviews" of LWOP inmates. she will have MANY MANY privileges including contact with the outside including media and the ability to write a book (although not profit from it).

LWOP will be easy for her - she adapts to ANY situation and will for prison.

yep...like I said yesterday, lwop wiill be a cakewalk for her...

She will be able to live in a dorm-like setting in a couple years...

The 8 mitigating factors listed by the defense are a joke. Thus, IMO, if this jury is hung up on any mitigating factor, it is the borderline personality diagnosis put forth by the prosecution.

Dr. Drew said that Juror #8 told him that there was sympathy for JA from "several" females on the jury, and they were "not young."

I say, let these people go home. The Alexanders can go home with the knowledge that when they come back with a new jury for the sentence, the very least that JA will get is life. They can rest and restore themselves, and regain their strength.

Better to wait than to get this wrong.

I thought they weren't allowed to discuss the case before deliberations .. Juror number 8 needs to stop talking NOW if that's true, could this mean a new trial on appeal?

Are you sure that's right? I was under the impression they were choosing life or death. If they choose life, then the judge sets the terms (parole or natural life.) Can someone verify?

My understanding from CNN, HLN, and ABC is that the judge determines LWP vs LWOP.

:seeya:

Snipped and BBM: This is JMO, but I honestly believe that her father does not really care about her ... and the rest of her family, well, either they are just like her or they have gone along with her "stunts" and manipulation because they know what she is like and just tolerate her ...

Oh I don't even know if that made sense ... but KWIM ?

I am so upset right now ...

:moo:

The father showed up. All the way from the top of Cali , and he's supposed to be majorly sick.

The convicted killer said he was balling and all, real broken up when he heard the verdict.

She used them, and they showed up for it.

I firmly believe without them as guilt props, she would have been given death by now.

Is anyone ok with LWOP?

Not really. Because I am too hesitant that Jodi could still get out one day. Laws can be changed Or worse still what if Judge Stephens grants her LWP after 25

Two, I think that Jodi would continue to give interviews while serving her sentence. She will continue to bash and trash Travis. She will thrive in jail. Totally thrive in prison. And she's dangerous and sneaky enough that she could try to make a weapon and hurt a guard.

Make no mistake a woman like Jodi is the worst of the worst and she's one of the most dangerous killers I've seen. She's smart, sneaky, and gutsy. She wouldn't hesitate at all to kill again. She needs to be eradicated permanently from society.

A brand New DP phase would begin with a brand new jury; the worst possible outcome for the TA family. Shame on Jurors, for Shame. If there is a death penalty holdout they should be replaced with an ALT and then a verdict can be rendered. Let's hope this jury knows they can kick ppl off if need be.
They can ALSO put another juror as foreperson.

I find this comment shocking. You are suggesting replacing the jury member who won't vote for death until you find one that will. That's not a jury. That's a lynch mob pretending to be a jury.

If the death penalty was a cut and dried as a lot of you seem to think it is, the law would just say you get death for this and that and that etc. But it's not cut and dried so people (jury or judge) deliberate and think about it.

I'm sorry that you don't like the system, but I find it really upsetting that people seem to think the jury is only doing it jobs correctly if it comes down with the sentencing they want. We are the rule of law, not the rule of emotions and the jurors get to do their job. I was disgusted with how the CA jurors were treated. And I hate seeing that same mentality here.

I feel bad for the Alexander's, but as much as it would be nice for them to get the verdict they want I don't think the jury or the judge is obligated to give it to them. Justice is not being done to satisfy and bring closure to the Alexander's, it being done for society following and applying the rule of law.

Look at the flip side, if the Alexander's were saints who didn't believe in Life never mind DP and said -- "Hey we believe only in rehabilitation. We want her to get 10-25 at most." Would you want their desire granted then? I wouldn't.

Frankly, I think it's really easy crying for the DP when you are not the one who will be responsible for deciding to end a person's life. Regardless of the fact that CMJA might deserve death in your eyes, her death will be the responsibility of the jury. Just because it's the right thing to do doesn't make it easy or any less burdensome for jurors to carry that burden rest of their lives.

The 8 mitigating factors listed by the defense are a joke. Thus, IMO, if this jury is hung up on any mitigating factor, it is the borderline personality diagnosis put forth by the prosecution.

Dr. Drew said that Juror #8 told him that there was sympathy for JA from "several" females on the jury, and they were "not young."

I say, let these people go home. The Alexanders can go home with the knowledge that when they come back with a new jury for the sentence, the very least that JA will get is life. They can rest and restore themselves, and regain their strength.

Better to wait than to get this wrong.

Sympathy for a killer. SMDH. :stormingmad:

I wonder, wonder if there is a death penalty opponent on the jury who covertly went through the process knowing they would never give death.

You may be right- because this sure is fast- somebody obviously came right out of the door and said no way, no how am I going for death no matter what you all have to say- right? Or why pose the question so quickly??

BUMP to insure everyone sees this. Thank you MGN
Deciding life, death takes toll on jurors

When the deliberations began, the nine women and three men took a vote. Only three supported a death sentence, with four favoring a life sentence and the others undecided, said juror Mary Fobes, 74, of Mesa.

Catalano said he wasn't sure.

"I still hadn't made up my mind. I was giving her the benefit of the doubt," he said.

After one day, the jury went home for a three-day weekend that some called full of soul searching.

When they reconvened, Catalano gave a pivotal speech outlining his reasons for supporting a death sentence, and the vote swung to 11-1 in favor of execution, Fobes said.

"It was very passionate on why he thought she deserved the death penalty," Fobes said. "The more I thought about it, how could she be so brutal? She must have totally flipped her wig. I don't know how anyone could do that."

But the jury was on the verge of a deadlock, with one holdout, a senior citizen from Gilbert, saying he was adamantly against the death penalty.

From Wendy Andriano case .. she is now on death row in Arizona :)

http://www.nlada.org/DMS/Documents/1106668066.47/0124deathjurors24.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member