Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Debra Notachance ‏@DebraTweets 2m

I need Dr Janeen DeMarte to test me for #jodiarias trial induced disorders. I'm definitely suffering from DRD (Defendant Repulsed Disorder)

Please ask if she will offer a group plan?

There goes Jean. Talking about jurors standing with their arms crossed, not talking to each other, looking defiant. She loves reporting this. What is her deal? She's such a Debbie Downer for no reason!

i don't remember who she was talking to the other day iirc she admitted that she likes to play devil's advocate and look at issues from (my words) the dark side. wish i could remember who it was she was talking to darn it. help me out if someone else saw it. :stormingmad:

In my younger, more innocent years, I was opposed to the death penalty.

In 2008, my adult daughter was kidnapped from her home in the middle of the night by her abusive ex. He brutally assaulted her with the intention of murdering her. If the police had not miraculously rescued her (thanks to a concerned neighbor who heard my daughter's screams as she was dragged into the woods & to our LE who responded quickly) she would not be alive today. My daughter required 2 facial reconstruction surgeries to repair the physical damage. She's just now beginning to heal from the psychological/emotional damage.

My daughter's horrific experience changed my view of capital punishment, because she came so close to being murdered by an abusive sociopath (much like JA). My daughter is a survivor. It nauseates me when I hear JA promote herself as a survivor of domestic violence, when SHE'S the abuser, SHE'S the aggressor, SHE'S the murderer.

My heart breaks for the Alexander family. They deserve Justice. Travis deserves Justice.

I firmly believe that some people are such monsters that they need to be eradicated - like a cancer. JA is a cancer to society, IMO. In one of her most recent interviews, she arrogantly declared that she "deserves a second chance". As far as I'm concerned, she forfeited any 2nd chance on June 4, 2008 when she savagely murdered Travis Alexander.

:hero:

Please tell your daughter that she is my hero!

Thanks for sharing!

Maybe I'm wrong, but Jodi is smiling when Wilmott sits down and appears to have said "What was it?" or something.. A few secs later, the smirk is wiped off her face. She then tenses up. She keeps talking even through the judges first words like she's ranting. I think it was bad for the defense from this video.

I agree about ja, in fact 1st time in this trial I have seen her jaw clinched. I have looked for that many times, never saw it until today.

Let's have a two-fer today!

Justice for Shaniya and ultimate punishment for JA!!!!!!!!!!!

They take this "talking head" stuff seriously, apparently. :rolleyes: I mean I understand in their business dead air is....deadly. But really...yadda yadda yadda. If Beth K. or Mark Eyelash isn't on, my mute button gets a workout. :)

I haven't muted but I've tuned them out. TV is in the room next to me which means I'd have to get up.

Just fed to the back teeth with this woman. She pointed her index at the row where her family sat and said "that" & "them" as the reason she had changed her perspective on death. Like they were the stake in a poker game, something inanimate. It was repulsive. So was the hollow voice that went with this ugly gesture. Please, jury, come back with your sentence so we can sweep her off the scene. Please!

That was so odd to me Tuba, she appeared to be a lackluster store clerk casually pointing to aisle 5 when asked where Le Sueur baby peas could be found....... The flopping hand said it all, no emotion.

If the jury follows their instructions, I don't see how they can come with anything less than death. The burden of proof is on the defense, they have to PROVE THE MITIGATING FACTORS, and then, for it to be life, the jury has to come to the conclusion that the totality of the mitigating factors is more than the totality of the aggravating factors.

I don't think this has anything to do with other cases, they should not be thinking about serial killers, "worst of worst", etc. etc.. They have a duty to only evaulate THIS case.

I don't think the defense proved that any mitigating factor was substantial. I pretty much agree with everything Juan said about them (surprise, surprise).

To me, the only thing which would be a real mitigating factor in this case would be if Jodi had a child or children. That would cause me some pause, I have to admit, even for me. But in this case (luckily) we don't have any kids involved.

Another would be if she had done some kind of service for the world before the crime, whether it was part of her job (like nurse or something) or other things like REAL volunteer work, some real contribution to society.

FUTURE things should not count....that is not evidence, IMO and CANNOT BE PROVEN WHAT SHE"LL DO IN THE FUTURE. So all the prison stuff should be totally discounted, IMO.

So ....to me the decision is pretty simple.

in a criminal case, burden of proof is on the prosecution who has to prove that she is guilty. they did just that...over and beyond and then some..

other than that I agree with you. there were absolutely zero mitigating factors. in logical world, the defense failed on that.

Just for the record my stomach is in knots! lol
Can't wait until this drama of a trial is in the past.

As far as the discussion between the jurors goes,
I find it hard to believe that those in favor of the death penality
could consider being swayed to a verdict of LWP.
Maybe it's just me but those in favor of death, have already
made the decision that is warranted in this horrible crime.

Don't know where those considering LWP are getting the koolade they
seem to be drinking but I find it frightening that this crime is not one
of the worst of the worst in their thinking. I wonder what their thoughts would be if was THEIR loved one that went thru this unbelievable
suffering.

That said, I believe if it's not a death penalty verdict it will be a
hung jury. I can see those for LWP coming to their senses and
going with those that want death for ja, but I can't see the death
penalty jurors changing their mind. They have already made that
big leap for the prosecution, the Alexanders, and Travis.

THEY are not killing ja; they are following the laws of the state regarding
this type of murder. jmo

The jury is not killing the torture murderess.

Jodi Ann Arias exposed herself to execution when she executed Travis.

The jury won't even be administering the injection.

In fact, at this point, they're merely an administrative formality.

Seven have dragged the other five this far.

Let's hope the Just Seven can tote the Reluctant Five across the Finish Line.

My concern...

I hate, hate, hate and don't want to even consider that the Alexander family will have to continue on this legal path, and will be horrified if they had to endure another jury being impaneled.

In addition, the costs involved for the State of AZ, and again, the family, if this continues. (Costs are important, but not as important as the emotional hell the Alexanders are having to go through seeing this witch in court, playing the system. JMO)

I still have faith that they will reach agreement this afternoon, but I must say I'm concerned at 10.5 hrs plus. Just being real.

BUT AM SO RELIEVED THE GUILT PHASE IS DONE AND CAME TO THE RIGHT CONCLUSION! THAT CAN'T BE TAKEN AWAY! (Well, except appeals.)

My bold. How does Jodi--or any defendant/convict for that matter--"play" the system? They are IN the system, and it's par for the course that they take advantage of the defense, rights, appeals, etc. afforded to them, is it not?

Maybe I'm wrong, but Jodi is smiling when Wilmott sits down and appears to have said "What was it?" or something.. A few secs later, the smirk is wiped off her face. She then tenses up. She keeps talking even through the judges first words like she's ranting. I think it was bad for the defense from this video.

I also saw CMA stick that tongue out meaning she didn't like what she heard. Not one smile or laughter after JW sat down to explain what the question was...Yesterday she was smiling and laughing with the Bailiff talking about pop rocks or whatever...Not today! I did see Juan Martinez smile at Flores.

Ya think Ryan Owens' comment about her appearance as a "church lady/ librarian with glasses" scorched her ego a bit? :floorlaugh:

My DD and I watched that video last night (she had not seen it) and she I SWEAR fell off the couch laughing. The whole interview was a burn.
Paraphrasing:

"Why don't you just go ahead and die?"
Jodi: "What? I don't understand what you are asking"

"Why you look so hideous now?"

"Why are you still talking to the media?"

Somebody could make a freaking hilarious video montage with Ryan Owens' piece of video.

In a 6 hour period how many times does HLN scream BREAKING NEWS?

Commercials are beginning to be a relief from the BREAKING NEWS JURY STILL IN DELIBERATION!

The Atlantic City odds on this being 11 to 1, can no longer be wagered on. That's how sure they feel about this being One hold-out. I'll re-state what I posted earlier. I think if you take a moment and think deep on this, you'll have to agree. This is what I said:

Going back to the first letter to the judge, just a couple hours in, saying they were deadlocked can only mean One thing.

I believe it can only indicate that someone on the Jury, One Juror, had already told the Foreman that there is No way they are going to issue JA a DP. That's the only way I think it possible for a letter like that to go out, after just a couple/few hours...IOW, this person was saying that there is no point in having deliberations because there is No way they will change their mind.

If that ONE has been adamant from the GET GO this jury would have been back HUNG 1 hour after Question 3. IMO

The Atlantic City odds on this being 11 to 1, can no longer be wagered on. That's how sure they feel about this being One hold-out. I'll re-state what I posted earlier. I think if you take a moment and think deep on this, you'll have to agree. This is what I said:

Going back to the first letter to the judge, just a couple hours in, saying they were deadlocked can only mean One thing.

I believe it can only indicate that someone on the Jury, One Juror, had already told the Foreman that there is No way they are going to issue JA a DP. That's the only way I think it possible for a letter like that to go out, after just a couple/few hours...IOW, this person was saying that there is no point in having deliberations because there is No way they will change their mind.

Then this "one juror" is a LIAR! They have no business being on this jury.

Okay y'all, I will be taking an exam in less than hour, so...since I won't be available for the jury's decision, y'all can expect it anytime between 4-6 CST.
Real life always interrupts my WS life at the most inopportune times! :doh:

in a criminal case, burden of proof is on the prosecution.

other than that I agree with you. there were absolutely zero mitigating factors.

For the penalty phase, the burden of proof is on the defense - to prove their mitigation factors. That's why they went 1st and last

What the heck has happened to this jury?

Is this is the same jury that asked astute, intuitive questions during the trial and made thoughtful, intelligent choices for the guilt and aggravation phases? What has happened to them?

I am very concerned and need some hand-holding. Please help!:please:

but what you're describing is really a juror who's refusing to deliberate. if that were the case, that juror can be replaced. if they REFUSE to listen to the others and consider what they have to say, they can go.

if there's a problem, and i'm not convinced there is, i think it may be MORE than one juror. but they haven't given up, so i'm not either.

I just wanted to share:

FORMER WAITRESS AND CONVICTED MURDERER, JODI ARIS

I love when I see this in writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads