Penn State Sandusky-Report of the Special Investigative Counsel

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm to the point where I think the statue should be moved.

The campus is big and putting it in a less prominent spot is appropriate.

Maybe it should be near Old Main, where future administrators can look at it out of their windows, just as a reminder.

You are not alone:

Posted on Fri, Jul. 13, 2012

READER POLL

Should Penn State remove its statue of Joe Paterno?

Yes. Paterno should not be honored in that way.

2589 (73.7%)

No. He was still a great football coach and generous donor to the school.

925 (26.3%)

Total votes = 3514

http://www.philly.com/philly/polls/162302546.html?c=r

How Penn State officials buried suspicions about Jerry Sandusky

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120713_How_Penn_State_officials_buried_suspicions.html

In May 1998, Gary Schultz scribbled two words that in hindsight look chilling.

"Other children?" he wrote............

Schultz's handwritten notes were among the most damning evidence disclosed Thursday in the long-awaited report on what the most powerful men at Penn State, including former football coach Joe Paterno and president Graham B. Spanier, did about signs that Sandusky was sexually abusing boys.

Its conclusion: Not much.

Instead, the team of investigators headed by former FBI Director Louis Freeh found a paper trail suggesting that Paterno, Schultz, Spanier, and then-athletic director Timothy Curley discussed and worried about - but ultimately ignored - suspicions in order to avoid scandal, a decision that effectively allowed Sandusky to assault more children............

"The evidence clearly shows, in my view, an active agreement to conceal," Freeh said during a news conference at a Philadelphia hotel.............

Curley and Schultz are awaiting trial next year on charges they failed to report Sandusky's 2001 assault on the second boy and later lied to a grand jury about it. Sources have said they also expect Spanier to be charged.........

A month after it started, campus police closed the 1998 investigation and stashed the report in a file labeled "administrative information."

Schultz was relieved, according to his files. "I think the matter has been appropriately investigated and I hope it is now behind us," he told Spanier and Curley in an e-mail, the report says.

Freeh said he was struck that none of the four men interviewed Sandusky about the report, "including the coach, who was a few steps away from his office."

At his news conference, Freeh walked a tightrope in describing Paterno. He said the coach left a "terrific" legacy but also might have made the worst mistake of his life.

"The facts are the facts," Freeh said. "There's a whole host of evidence here and we're saying the reasonable conclusion from that evidence is that he was an integral part of this active conspiracy to conceal. I regret that, based on the damage it does, obviously, to his legacy."...........

Spanier later told Freeh's investigators he meant it was "humane" to explain to Sandusky the reason they were taking steps against him. [But they did not talk to him at all about those reasons.]

According to the report, Curley told a lawyer for the Second Mile soon afterward that "publicity issues" were the reason Sandusky could no longer bring children on campus............Despite being copied on the 1998 e-mails, Spanier told investigators that "the subject matter of a university employee in a shower with a child had never come up before" 2001. ...............

Attorney General Linda Kelly said the report would not impact her office's investigations or the forthcoming prosecutions.

"The Freeh report should prove helpful to decisionmakers, the Penn State community, and the public at large in understanding how this disturbing situation developed, as well as how to prevent it from being repeated in the future," she said.

More at link.....

Jason Whitlock at Fox Sports thinks outside the box, this time probing the role of sexism in the scandal:
---
What I do believe is you could scan the globe and it would be impossible to find four women who climbed the leadership ladder within a major institution who would conspire to protect a child molester. A group of women wouldn’t sympathize with a molester. They wouldn’t fret about how to “humanely” treat an adult who couldn’t control his criminal and sick sexual urges while ignoring the welfare of kids. Women wouldn’t understand.
---
the whole column here: Sexism played role in Penn St. horror

Jason Whitlock at Fox Sports thinks outside the box, this time probing the role of sexism in the scandal:

wlock is always ready to blame anything on whatever ism he might conjur up. he specializes in finding ism's. he might have a point here, but so what, it was four men. i'm surprised he didnt say, "four white men" but that might be taking it too far even for him

oh and I note the two bot's most promiment at the press conference were> 1. a black man, and 2. a womanism...and that Freeh indicted the board as well as the four leaders for not doing its job and for helping create the atmosphere that allowed the coverup and enabling to flourish.

wlock is always ready to blame anything on whatever ism he might conjur up. he specializes in finding ism's. he might have a point here, but so what, it was four men. i'm surprised he didnt say, "four white men" but that might be taking it too far even for him
Couldn't disagree more. Your criticisms seem to jerk at the same knee as many of his other detractors. I've read Jason since his early days at the Kansas City Star, and such criticisms show only intellectual laziness and Twitter-level thought.

Couldn't disagree more. Your criticisms seem to jerk at the same knee as many of his other detractors. I've read Jason since his early days at the Kansas City Star, and such criticisms show only intellectual laziness and Twitter-level thought.

i dont twitter. And i fail to see how an observation on my part might be categorized as "intellectual laziness". It makes no sense to me how something I have observed over the years about Whitlock could accurately be described as laziness. It could be wrong, but its not. But I do like the zing in your pretenious dismissals.

This is the argument made opposing any NCAA punishment for any school. There's no way the NCAA can punish a school for anything without punishing players and others who weren't involved in the infractions.

To use just one of many examples, none of the USC players who have been ineligible for bowl games for the past two years had anything to do with Reggie Bush's parents' housing arrangements.

So by that argument, the NCAA should never punish any school for anything.

Just jumping off your post. I'm not arguing that the NCAA should give PSU the death penalty.

Fair point, but I'm also not saying there should be no punishment, just that there should be no death penalty. Also, in almost all other cases, including USC, most of the school's administration/athletic dept personnel was the same for the period of time the school was under sanctions as it was when the infractions occurred and in many cases some, if not all, of the coaching staff remained. There will always be the problem with the kids who have to deal with the punishment usually weren't even on campus when the infractions occurred, but that's something that can't be avoided due to the fact that they only have 4 years of eligibility. In this situation, none of the people on any level who were involved in the actions that would bring punishment are still at PSU, at least none of the people with culpability or any oversight obligations. I don't think they are still there anyway, but I continue to be surprised at PSU's actions in this case so it wouldn't surprise me to find out there are some leftovers.

I hope this report finally clears up any "confusion" there may have been regarding Paterno and his cronies' responsibility to the young children abused by Sandusky during their watch.

It was clear to me before and it is even clearer to me now: JoePa and his friends did not do their job. They shirked their responsibility, morally, ethically, as leaders AND legally, to take decisive action when the first reports of Sandusky's "romps" with young boys were made.

I am heartsick about this. Football was simply more important than a little child's life.

Whitlock is not probing the role of sexism. Instead, he himself is expressing a sexist view, IMO.

I understand, somewhat the sentiments you quoted. Because I have mostly believed that women are inherit nurturers. We protect. Our inborn job is to ensure the survival of the species so we are alert for danger to children.

However, it is my above-stated belief, actually and Whitlock's argument (that these men protected Sandusky out of an innate understanding of a man's sexual urges), that is sexist. Sexism didn't play a role in what happened. It is the argument as to why it happened that is sexist.

In reality, there are plenty of men, real men, who would never excuse or justify or brush off sexual abuse of children due to their subconscious identification with Sandusky's inability to control his urges. Really, that's kind of a horrible thing to say - that men are less likely to report such abuse because they understand out of control sexual urges. What?

And my own belief in women's innate need to nurture and protect is disproved every day as "mother" after "mother" allows some man to beat, rape and murder her child.

So I don't think sexism played a role in this horrific cover-up but I do think it may play a role in justifying or excusing it.

I still don't follow JJ's point. The Penn State 4 covered up 2001 to avoid bad publicity, that was the conclusion of the Freeh report.

If they could have covered up 98, they would have. It's not like one of them reported JS to university police. It was out of their hands.

First, they didn't know about the 1998 incident, until the police reported it. There is no evidence that they tried to influence RFG regarding it. Anything that goes back to 1998, and the answer is, **It was reported and investigated to the DA and DPW. They made the decisions.**

2001, Sandusky is no longer part of the football program. Yes, it's a bit of an embarrassment, like a graduated player being charged with a crime committed after he graduated. It doesn't reflect on the football program.

Now, I'm thinking, could it somehow involve TSM? They had ties to PSU and Sandusky was active in it, and part of the leadership.

I'm to the point where I think the statue should be moved.

The campus is big and putting it in a less prominent spot is appropriate.

Maybe it should be near Old Main, where future administrators can look at it out of their windows, just as a reminder.

Agree...but even if they move it I like the idea that was in one of the articles I posted yesterday:

Right next to it, university officials should erect another figure in bronze: a young boy crying out in anguish and being coldly ignored.

That would be a reminder that could not be ignored.

Legal experts say Paterno could have faced charges

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=5&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L5_UNEWS

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — If he were alive today, Joe Paterno — the coach who stood for so long for character and integrity both on and off the football field — could be looking at charges such as child endangerment, perjury and conspiracy.

Legal experts said emails and other evidence in the Penn State investigative report released Thursday suggest that Paterno may have misled a grand jury when asked when he first heard about Jerry Sandusky's misconduct, and show that Paterno and other university officials put boys in danger with their failure to report sexual abuse allegations against Sandusky more than a decade ago.

Duquesne University law professor Wes Oliver said the report by former FBI Director Louis Freeh reads like a prosecution case for a child endangerment charge against Paterno, then-President Graham Spanier, athletic director Tim Curley and now-retired vice president Gary Schultz. Oliver noted that a former top official in the Philadelphia Archdiocese was convicted of that charge in June for allowing a suspected pedophile priest to be around children.

"If you look at what happened here, it's very clear that they were aware that they had a pedophile on their campus," Oliver said.

Will Spade, a former Philadelphia prosecutor who worked on a grand jury investigation of priests about a decade ago, agreed: "Spanier, Paterno, Schultz and Curley are arguably responsible for endangering all of those kids that were abused later."

More at link.....

Wonder what ole Dottie thinks about all this and if she is expecting her season tickets to the Nittany Lion Club this season?

First, they didn't know about the 1998 incident, until the police reported it. There is no evidence that they tried to influence RFG regarding it. Anything that goes back to 1998, and the answer is, **It was reported and investigated to the DA and DPW. They made the decisions.**

2001, Sandusky is no longer part of the football program. Yes, it's a bit of an embarrassment, like a graduated player being charged with a crime committed after he graduated. It doesn't reflect on the football program.

Now, I'm thinking, could it somehow involve TSM? They had ties to PSU and Sandusky was active in it, and part of the leadership.

That's it. You said it, it would have been a bit of an embarrassement. The Penn State 4 enabled a child predator to avoid a bit of an embarrassment. It difficult to wrap one's mind around that kind of evil, but that's what were dealing with here.

That was the conclusion of the Freeh report. (And this is, after all, the Freeh report thread.)

What are you suggesting? Freeh was wrong? Crooked? What exactly?

Curious about the timing of the release of the Freeh Rpt.

Post JerSan conviction. Pre-JerSan sentencing. Coincidence?
What effect, if any, will this rpt, have on JerSan sentencing? Of course, no official effect.
Judge-imposed sentencing, I take it?

Had Bd/Tee's set deadline for report completion?
IIRC, initially, arrangement was that B/T wd be able to preview a draft, before final release.
If so, did they? Could B/T's preview or reactions hv influenced rpt-release timing?

Could release timing hv/bn influcenced by upcoming fall elections?

Could rpt release timing affect other crim investigations & proceedings?

TIA to the many knowledgeable and local folks commenting here.

Here's a column from one of the top 2 or 3 sportswriters, in my opinion, Rick Reilly.

The sins of the father

What a stooge I was.

I talked about Paterno's "true legacy" in all of this. Here's his true legacy: Paterno let a child molester go when he could've stopped him. He let him go and then lied to cover his sinister tracks. He let a rapist go to save his own recruiting successes and fundraising pitches and big-fish-small-pond hide.

Here's a legacy for you. Paterno's cowardice and ego and fears allowed Sandusky to molest at least eight more boys in the years after that 1998 incident -- Victims 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10. Just to recap: By not acting, a grown man failed to protect eight boys from years of molestation, abuse and self-loathing, all to save his program the embarrassment. The mother of Victim 1 is "filled with hatred toward Joe Paterno," the victim's lawyer says. "She just hates him, and reviles him." Can you blame her?

What a sap I was.

I hope Penn State loses civil suits until the walls of the accounting office cave in. I hope that Spanier, Schultz and Curley go to prison for perjury. I hope the NCAA gives Penn State the death penalty it most richly deserves. The worst scandal in college football history deserves the worst penalty the NCAA can give. They gave it to SMU for winning without regard for morals. They should give it to Penn State for the same thing. The only difference is, at Penn State they didn't pay for it with Corvettes. They paid for it with lives.

What a chump I was.

I tweeted that, yes, Paterno should be fired, but that he was, overall, "a good and decent man." I was wrong. Good and decent men don't do what Paterno did. Good and decent men protect kids, not rapists. And to think Paterno comes from "father" in Italian.

This throws a can of black paint on anything anybody tells me about Paterno from here on in. "No NCAA violations in all those years." I believe it. He was great at hiding stuff. "He gave $4 million to the library." In exchange for what? "He cared about kids away from the football field." No, he didn't. Not all of them. Not when it really mattered.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8162972

That's it. You said it, it would have been a bit of an embarrassement. The Penn State 4 enabled a child predator to avoid a bit of an embarrassment. It difficult to wrap one's mind around that kind of evil, but that's what were dealing with here.

Slightly embarrassing, but not enough of a scandal to endanger anything, if reported. It only becomes a problem if it is covered up.

That was the conclusion of the Freeh report. (And this is, after all, the Freeh report thread.)

What are you suggesting? Freeh was wrong? Crooked? What exactly?

I think we are missing something. It is virtual insanity to risk that much over some very minor embarrassment.

Here's a column from one of the top 2 or 3 sportswriters, in my opinion, Rick Reilly.
What a great column.

Think Victim #1's mother and all other parents of one of these kids deserve settlements also. It is an outrage that this was allowed to continue unabated.

Parents have to live with this for the rest of their lives also. Sad, sad, sad.

Curious about the timing of the release of the Freeh Rpt.

Post JerSan conviction. Pre-JerSan sentencing. Coincidence?
What effect, if any, will this rpt, have on JerSan sentencing? Of course, no official effect.
Judge-imposed sentencing, I take it?

Had Bd/Tee's set deadline for report completion?
IIRC, initially, arrangement was that B/T wd be able to preview a draft, before final release.
If so, did they? Could B/T's preview or reactions hv influenced rpt-release timing?

Could release timing hv/bn influcenced by upcoming fall elections?

Could rpt release timing affect other crim investigations & proceedings?

TIA to the many knowledgeable and local folks commenting here.

Not local, but I don't think the Freeh report will influence JS's sentencing....the judge has his legal guidelines to follow, there will be a report from probation, and the victims are supposed to be there to give statements I understand. JS also has to be evaluated to see if he is a
sexually violent predator and that might make a difference.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8114854&postcount=202"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Penn State Sandusky Trial #12 (GUILTY-post verdict discussion)[/ame]

As far as I know there was not a deadline from the BOT and the report was released to all parties including the public and BOT by Freeh at the same time, 9am on Thurs. on a special website.

Can't help with Penn. politics, lol...help from locals?

The AG made a statement that the report will be helpful to the school and community in making needed changes (close) but their investigations for future prosecutions continue. From me: Spanier!
Freeh did say his group shared information with the AG.

BBM - well, Freeh could not get to TSM but I really hope the AG with their subpeona powers is able to get into their files and get testimony from the CEO and Courtney among others...wouldn't be surprised if there are more charges involving TSM and JS's involvement with the kids there with their knowledge...need Pensfan here....lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back