Penn State Sandusky-Report of the Special Investigative Counsel

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is getting uglier and uglier as Paterno's last dealings with the University and the BOTs are being revealed. when you factor in that 3 Paterno supporters have just been added to the BOT's, including an outspoken advocate of forcing the board to APOLOGIZE to Paterno for his firing, it has the potential to get worse and worse.

What is becomming clear that, is that, far from putting this behind them, the University and the bot have still been unable to overcome the cult of the individual and the power of football in insular Happy Valley and that the great Penn State University is in for a protracted seige of sorts, rather than honestly attempting to put this sordid mess behind them.

in retrospect it is somewhat surprising that the bot was even able to commission an independent investigation of the affair, but they did.

I have wondered as this unfolded about the lack of comment from the leaders of the University at levels other than the administration and the BOT. Where are the nationally respected professional leaders of the academic community? Where is even one comment from them about all this? Penn State has produced leading professionals across the years, Doctors, lawyers, historians, social scientists and physical scientists of note and national reputation. Have none of these people anything to say? Have none of them felt the need to comment on the terrible tragedy that has befallen their University?

Where are they?

as for the Paterno family, they are clearly demonstrating what he and they are made of, and that his reputation, so carefully crafted and nutured over the years (by HIM), was a lie. If there was ever any doubt about who or what he was, they are in the process of clearing it up finally and completely. and the irony is, they don't have a clue. Armed with their Lawyers legalistic arguments against the Freeh report, Jay Paterno spent the entire day on ESPN attacking the report and attempting to diminish its impact in the community at large.

what the Paternos are going to find out, in short order, is that the world is a LOT bigger than Happy Valley, and that the TRUTH cannot be hidden forever nowadays, not outside the confines of Paterno's lost kingdom.

this is increasingly becoming a sad affair made even sadded but clearer by their pathetic and futile attempts to control it.

the same is true for the bot and the administration. no doubt they feel empowered to make statements like "a contract is a contract" as regards their final pathetic acquiesance to Paterno with his obscence retirement contract, but as the details emerge it is clear that the last word has not been spoken: judgements of them, him and that insular culture will be the final word.

The ncaa may be forced in the final analysis to do what they really dont want to do, kill the football program at penn state.

kill it in order to save the university itself. For anything less may not be enough.

J. J. in Phila
But it wasn't covered up at the DA's Office level. Chambers filed a report with the DPW hotline. Schreffler filed everything with the DA's Office. The Chambers' Report was sent to the DA's Office, according to Schreffler's report. It was actually sent there before Seasock became involved.

Victim 6 is the more devastating case to Penn State, especially the football program, because, in 1998, Sandusky is actually working there. So, why didn't the Big Four try to stop LE in 1998, and why do they seem more concerned about the less damaging 2001 incident?

IMO, it may be because after 1998, which they did not control but all 4 knew about, they did not take any corrective action with JS who was still in the football program then and under their supervision. Even though no charges were filed by the DA in 1998, it would look horrible if knowing what happened with the victim, they did not restrict him absolutely from bringing children into the school facilities and taking them to other functions and on trips. They had the power over him at the time to do this. Plus they had given him that handsome retirement package, even with a big bonus, knowing he was a probable pedophile, and were still associating the football program with him and his programs at 2nd mile. They had even sold him the land to expand it, attended fundraisers, all with someone they knew had done this before in 1998 and this new incident more or less proves he is what they suspected in back then.

Then in 2001, when they found out about the new incident that occurred in the school facilities with a believable witness no less, I imagine panic set in (I'm pretty sure there were verbal discussions not known to us or Freeh) about how could this happen again in OUR football showers? what will people say? how will this affect the football program? how will this affect our reputations? That SOB promised he would not do this again!! And now he's out of our control so the only thing left to do is not let it get out or we are burned. Plus we've still been supporting that SOB at 2nd Mile and how will that look, since we knew what he did back in 1998 and took no action to control him. Hell, we didn't even discuss it with him! How will that look to all the fans?

You find this type of criticism from the public, rightfully so most of the time, in other child abuse cases especially when there has been previous involvement with the family and child about abuse. Why didn't the agency do something back then? Why was the child still in the home? Why wasn't the parent charged before?

All IMO from a little past experience.....

This is getting uglier and uglier as Paterno's last dealings with the University and the BOTs are being revealed. when you factor in that 3 Paterno supporters have just been added to the BOT's, including an outspoken advocate of forcing the board to APOLOGIZE to Paterno for his firing, it has the potential to get worse and worse.

I think that this was before the Freeh Report. The world changed with that.

I was someone that defended Paterno, absent of any evidence that he was involved in the decision making in 2001. Well, it is there, and a lot clearer.

You have people that hero worship; sometimes when that hero is less than heroic they either are in denial or they come around.

I have wondered as this unfolded about the lack of comment from the leaders of the University at levels other than the administration and the BOT. Where are the nationally respected professional leaders of the academic community? Where is even one comment from them about all this? Penn State has produced leading professionals across the years, Doctors, lawyers, historians, social scientists and physical scientists of note and national reputation. Have none of these people anything to say? Have none of them felt the need to comment on the terrible tragedy that has befallen their University?

Some of us are speaking.

as for the Paterno family, they are clearly demonstrating what he and they are made of, and that his reputation, so carefully crafted and nutured over the years (by HIM), was a lie. If there was ever any doubt about who or what he was, they are in the process of clearing it up finally and completely. and the irony is, they don't have a clue. Armed with their Lawyers legalistic arguments against the Freeh report, Jay Paterno spent the entire day on ESPN attacking the report and attempting to diminish its impact in the community at large.

what the Paternos are going to find out, in short order, is that the world is a LOT bigger than Happy Valley, and that the TRUTH cannot be hidden forever nowadays, not outside the confines of Paterno's lost kingdom.

Legacy protection never works.

IMO, it may be because after 1998, which they did not control but all 4 knew about, they did not take any corrective action with JS who was still in the football program then and under their supervision. Even though no charges were filed by the DA in 1998, it would look horrible if knowing what happened with the victim, they did not restrict him absolutely from bringing children into the school facilities and taking them to other functions and on trips. They had the power over him at the time to do this. Plus they had given him that handsome retirement package, even with a big bonus, knowing he was a probable pedophile, and were still associating the football program with him and his programs at 2nd mile. They had even sold him the land to expand it, attended fundraisers, all with someone they knew had done this before in 1998 and this new incident more or less proves he is what they suspected in back then.

They knew about 1998, but they also knew that it was not found to be improper.

You find this type of criticism from the public, rightfully so most of the time, in other child abuse cases especially when there has been previous involvement with the family and child about abuse. Why didn't the agency do something back then? Why was the child still in the home? Why wasn't the parent charged before?

Well they would have been asking that of the DA's Office and DPW, but not PSU or the football program.

They knew about 1998, but they also knew that it was not found to be improper.

Legally, no. But there is nothing proper about a middle-aged man showering with a young boy not his son or close relative.

Well they would have been asking that of the DA's Office and DPW, but not PSU or the football program.

Reader laid it out very clearly why they WOULD have been asking that of the football program. The hint of impropriety alone should have made them bar JS from bringing kids to PSU facilities.

Had Joe been the great humanitarian it says he was behind his statue, of course.

Then in 2001, when they found out about the new incident that occurred in the school facilities with a believable witness no less, I imagine panic set in (I'm pretty sure there were verbal discussions not known to us or Freeh) about how could this happen again in OUR football showers? what will people say? how will this affect the football program? how will this affect our reputations? That SOB promised he would not do this again!! And now he's out of our control so the only thing left to do is not let it get out or we are burned. Plus we've still been supporting that SOB at 2nd Mile and how will that look, since we knew what he did back in 1998 and took no action to control him. Hell, we didn't even discuss it with him! How will that look to all the fans?

The Freeh report is very clear that Paterno took no action against Sandusky whatsoever.

"The evidence shows that Mr. Paterno was made aware of the 1998 investigation of Sandusky, followed it closely, but failed to take any action, even though Sandusky had been a key member of his coaching staff for almost 30 years, and had an office just steps away from Mr. Paterno's.

"At the very least, Mr. Paterno could have alerted the entire football staff, in order to prevent Sandusky from bringing another child'' into the building where Sandusky abused several children."

Also, we know that Sandusky took victim 4 with him to bowl games in 98 and 99 AFTER the investigation was closed. That revelation would have been a PR nightmare for Penn State.

What is becomming clear that, is that, far from putting this behind them, the University and the bot have still been unable to overcome the cult of the individual and the power of football in insular Happy Valley and that the great Penn State University is in for a protracted seige of sorts, rather than honestly attempting to put this sordid mess behind them.

in retrospect it is somewhat surprising that the bot was even able to commission an independent investigation of the affair, but they did.

Where are they?

this is increasingly becoming a sad affair made even sadded but clearer by their pathetic and futile attempts to control it.

the same is true for the bot and the administration. no doubt they feel empowered to make statements like "a contract is a contract" as regards their final pathetic acquiesance to Paterno with his obscence retirement contract, but as the details emerge it is clear that the last word has not been spoken: judgements of them, him and that insular culture will be the final word.

The ncaa may be forced in the final analysis to do what they really dont want to do, kill the football program at penn state.

kill it in order to save the university itself. For anything less may not be enough.

Absolutely one great post, costal! Reading it brought me to this question - where do we go from here. What now will be the answer to the chant "We Are:"

Will it be "We are: Sorry" or :We Are: Ashamed."

You all can have a chance to fill in the blank "We Are:______________.

A recent Deadspin article links to a part of Spanier's interview with the Freeh group that I can't find elsewhere- it's a photo of something.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/11/2012/07/spanierstatement_1.jpg

Spannier saying "I have no recollection of that meeting other than Tim was worried about how he should handle things if he informed Sandusky that we were forbidding him from bringing Second Mile youth into our facilities and then Sandusky disagreed with this directive" is an admission from Spannier he knew exactly what what going on. Yet he claims to have no recollection.

And we are/were expected to believe this? Are these people living on planet earth?

Absolutely one great post, costal! Reading it brought me to this question - where do we go from here. What now will be the answer to the chant "We Are:"

Will it be "We are: Sorry" or :We Are: Ashamed."

You all can have a chance to fill in the blank "We Are:______________.

i have been to the scout.com/pennstate forum and I have been surprised at the recognition by MANY of their fans of their fate. it is a FOOTBALL forum, so they are fans, and die hard fans at that. some still defend paterno, and hard as that is to believe, I get it. some folks will never learn. but actually i have seen more than one redo the chant along those lines. many of them understood the Freeh report, and it really hurt. for those, I can feel some compassion and empathy. its a sad thing to see.

thanks azwriter.

I'm saying it would make more sense to move heaven and earth to cover up 1998 than 2001. Yet, though the Big Four knew about 1998, there is no evidence they tried. The decisions there were made off campus.

Well, in 2001, they could have said, **1998 was handled by law enforcement. They didn't find anything.** They could say that, if they reported Victim 2 and charges were filed.

Well, that's just it. The DA and DPW would be hit with that. It would be a major scandal with them, but not with PSU.

I think there could be some other reason for covering up 2001. But what?

Exactly what I have been wondering...I wish we knew why the 1998 investigation was called off...Ganim reports that the mother of victim 6 was told Paterno was aware of the 1998 decision:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/analysis_fbi_director_louis_fr.html

Perhaps PSU did have a hand in the 1998 cover-up, so they had to cover-up 2001 as well?

Who was Gricar's superior in 1998? Was this person connected with PSU or TSM?

Exactly what I have been wondering...I wish we knew why the 1998 investigation was called off...Ganim reports that the mother of victim 6 was told Paterno was aware of the 1998 decision:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/analysis_fbi_director_louis_fr.html

Perhaps PSU did have a hand in the 1998 cover-up, so they had to cover-up 2001 as well?

Who was Gricar's superior in 1998? Was this person connected with PSU or TSM?

Gricar was the top man in 1998. He had no superior.

I think there is a possibility we will find out more about 1998.

Here's the latest post from Lubrano:

As all of you can imagine, the past 48 hours have been extremely difficult. For me personally, they have been very emotional. I love Penn State and I proudly tell you that I loved Joe Paterno. Please be patient. And remember, the tortoise won the race. And I will remember Joe's words to me. "This is not about me, this is about our school and leaving it a better place than we found it." Hang in there.

It's more likely that Penn State would be a smoldering pile of rubble than a "better place" when he and the JoePa loyalists are finished. They are a much bigger threat to the future of PSU than the NCAA, the Dept of Education, and every other outside agency that might be investigating the university.

It's more likely that Penn State would be a smoldering pile of rubble than a "better place" when he and the JoePa loyalists are finished. They are a much bigger threat to the future of PSU than the NCAA, the Dept of Education, and every other outside agency that might be investigating the university.

It will take a while to come to grips with this. Lubrano will eventually come around I think.

Slightly embarrassing, but not enough of a scandal to endanger anything, if reported. It only becomes a problem if it is covered up.

I think we are missing something. It is virtual insanity to risk that much over some very minor embarrassment.

We are definitely missing something, JJ. What did Paterno say (presumably) to Schultz that caused the big four to change the plan?

For the doubters, those three emails in the report (Exibit 5f,g,h IIRC) should be proof enough of who was pulling the strings at Penn State. The 2001 incident went from being reported to state agencies and Second Mile, to nothing.

Just announce. The halo over Paterno's head in the mural "Inspire" was removed by the artist.

And it should have been!

Edit: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2018688338_apuspaternohalogone.html
But...

"Pilato added a large blue ribbon, instead, on Paterno's lapel symbolizing support for child abuse victims, a cause the artist said Paterno had endorsed."

Really, Paterno endorsed the cause? I would like someone to prove that. Other than some trite remark he made along the lines of what the BOT is saying now. What a bunch of bull. That artist should just paint over the entire mural. It is all facade for a giant lie.

We are definitely missing something, JJ. What did Paterno say (presumably) to Schultz that caused the big four to change the plan?

For the doubters, those three emails in the report (Exibit 5f,g,h IIRC) should be proof enough of who was pulling the strings at Penn State. The 2001 incident went from being reported to state agencies and Second Mile, to nothing.

I think you mean Curley. It seems Joe communicated only through Curley in 98 and 2001.

Yes, you're right, we know who was pulling the strings.

the-godfather.jpg

But...

"Pilato added a large blue ribbon, instead, on Paterno's lapel symbolizing support for child abuse victims, a cause the artist said Paterno had endorsed."

Really, Paterno endorsed the cause? I would like someone to prove that. Other than some trite remark he made along the lines of what the BOT is saying now. What a bunch of bull. That artist should just paint over the entire mural. It is all facade for a giant lie.

It is a beginning.

I deal in evidence, logical and unemotional. These folks can't quite do that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back