Penn State Sandusky-Report of the Special Investigative Counsel

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seriously, those people are vile. They should all be swept out of there. It is absolutely disgustng how gutless they are. "Whah! Whah! They won't tell us what to do! Whah!" Just more proof that they have absolutely no accountability. I'll bet anything it'll go back to how it was before... they'll just make sure not to leave any sort of trail the next time. Clearly no lesson has been learned by these people and they continue to show a complete lack of regard for the victims.

Just vile. :/

But...

"Pilato added a large blue ribbon, instead, on Paterno's lapel symbolizing support for child abuse victims, a cause the artist said Paterno had endorsed."

Really, Paterno endorsed the cause? I would like someone to prove that. Other than some trite remark he made along the lines of what the BOT is saying now. What a bunch of bull. That artist should just paint over the entire mural. It is all facade for a giant lie.

Agree! Paterno may have 'endorsed' support for child abuse victims but he certainly did not LIVE up to that cause. Instead, he manipilated the system he controlled to put them in more danger! What a farce this is...if they don't get rid of the entire mural they should take out anybody on there that is associated with the football program including and first Paterno...the worship of that program through him is what caused the cover up...have they no shame? This just shows the delusion the school is still suffering and how they are still trying to make Paterno a 'good guy'. He may have been so for some things but certainly NOT for children that were not his own.

Penn State's Rep Proves to Be False Triumph of Paterno Marketing
Howard Fineman

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-fineman/penn-state-reputation-paterno_b_1672415.html

First, last and beyond everything else, it was the uniforms: blindingly ascetic white, with no names on the jerseys or insignia on the helmets.

When you saw Penn State on the football field, you saw team spirit and self-abnegation in action. You saw what coach Joe Paterno wanted you to see, which was his nameless players executing his grand design in religious obedience. The Penn State football team was a secular holy order, and because they looked so clean -- and because Paterno made sure they graduated -- he was seen as the pope of college football.

But it was a facade, and those who knew the story from the inside knew that. The program wasn't clean. Paterno wasn't clean. Penn State wasn't clean.

It was a masterpiece of relentless branding, built on a product that wasn't as advertised. It was a fake.......

But now it stands exposed.

Skeptics have been peeling back the Penn State onion for several years now. In 2008, ESPN calculated that in the previous six years, 46 Penn State football players had faced a total of 163 criminal charges; 27 had been convicted or had pleaded guilty. Why the wave of bad behavior? ESPN said it was because the aging Paterno had had an unprecedented four losing seasons in five years.

The narrative that Freeh lays out makes vivid sense if you see it against the background of a football empire that had come to rest on shaky ground by the late 1990s. Paterno could not afford scandal. The university could not afford scandal. To hell with the raped kids.........

I just wanted to say thanks for finding this....just proves that Spanier is still lying not only to the GJ but now to the Freeh group...More than ever this type of statement means he needs to be charged by the AG...

I found the Spanier interview among the Freeh Report appendices when I finished reading it. Only Spanier's interview was singled out for inclusion. He told so many lies- even gratuitous ones about telling a staffer that he intended to change the agenda of a Board meeting to discuss Sandusky and that he had told trustees who say he didn't. Spanier likely was known among staff and associates as a chronic liar about many things.

This news story has a photo of Graham and the Tickle Monster, taken at a Second Mile Golf event in 1997, before Spanier knew about Jerry. A moderately long search of Google images finds no other publicity pictures of them together.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...port-ups-legal-risk-for-former-president?lite

I swear these people just don't get it. They just don't care. There needs to be massive consequences to what they allowed to happen. I don't think just paying the victims hundreds of millions(or tens of millions) would be enough. They'd think they got off lightly and would ask for more alumni donations. They need to suffer. I just don't know what the punishment should be, beyond paying the victims millions and having the football team shutdown for a few years.

And then one day in late 2004, as disciplinary sanctions were being considered against a member of the football team, she received a visit from Paterno's wife, who had tutored the player.

He's a good kid, Sue Paterno said. Could they give him a break?
She noted that Paterno preferred to keep the public in the dark about player infractions involving violence, and he pushed for not enforcing the student code of conduct off campus. She added that having "a major problem with Coach Paterno should not be our concern" in making disciplinary decisions.

"I must insist that the efforts to put pressure on us and try to influence our decisions related to specific cases ... simply MUST STOP," she wrote. "The calls and pleas from coaches, board members and others when we are considering a case are indeed putting us in a position that does treat football players differently and with greater privilege ... and it appears on our end to be a deliberate effort to use the power of the football program to sway our decisions in a way that is beneficial to the football program."

She followed up with another e-mail to Spanier on September 1, 2005, stating her objection to Paterno's attitude and behavior, which she called "atrocious." She said others, including students and their parents, were mimicking him.

"I am very troubled by the manipulative, disrespectful, uncivil and abusive behavior of our football coach," she wrote. "It is quite shocking what this man -- who is idolized by people everywhere -- is teaching our students."

Paterno ridiculed her on a radio show as "that lady in Old Main" who couldn't possibly know how to handle students because "she didn't have kids."

Tensions reached the breaking point in 2007 over how to discipline half a dozen players who'd been arrested at a brawl at an off-campus apartment complex. Several students were injured; one beaten unconscious.

Triponey met with Paterno and other university officials half a dozen times, although she preferred to remain neutral as the appeals hearing officer.

At the final meeting, Triponey urged the coach to advise his players to tell the truth. Paterno said angrily that he couldn't force his players to "rat" on each other since they had to practice and play together. Curley and Spanier backed him up on that point, she said.

Spanier came to her home and sat in her living room after Paterno lost his temper at the meeting about the players involved in the brawl. She said he told her, "Well, Vicky, you are one of a handful of people, four or five people, who have seen the dark side of Joe Paterno. We're going to have to do something about it."

She shakes her head, recalling that conversation now. "'Doing something about it,'" she says, "ended with me being gone."

"I tell my players there are two things in life," he added. "You've got your name and you've got your reputation. And you know what? Vicky still has her name and she still has her reputation."

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/triponey-paterno-penn-state/index.html

I swear these people just don't get it. They just don't care. There needs to be massive consequences to what they allowed to happen. I don't think just paying the victims hundreds of millions(or tens of millions) would be enough. They'd think they got off lightly and would ask for more alumni donations. They need to suffer. I just don't know what the punishment should be, beyond paying the victims millions and having the football team shutdown for a few years.
All of the visual tributes to Paterno- the statue and the murals need to be removed. I think the statue of Paterno should be put into a warehouse somewhere out of public display. He is no god/saint/angel, just a corrupt man who had the power over the football program.

He's famous for saying he stayed in coaching because had he left, "it would leave college football in the hands of the Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers," two coaches known for their winning ways, and for breaking NCAA rules along the way.

But Paterno didn't break NCAA rules in covering up for his buddy Sandusky, and allowing the coach a clear field to wreak havoc on the lives of numerous young men. What Paterno did break was the moral code that every man and woman should abide by.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/opinion/martin-paterno-coward/index.html

All of the visual tributes to Paterno- the statue and the murals need to be removed. I think the statue of Paterno should be put into a warehouse somewhere out of public display. He is no god/saint/angel, just a corrupt man who had the power over the football program.

I agree but unfortunately the PSU BOT apparently does not.

Really, these people are clearly living in their own private Idaho.

From link, BBM:

The trustees' reluctance to remove the statue is motivated, in part, by a desire not to offend alumni and students who adore the late coach despite the damning findings of his role in the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse cover-up detailed in the Freeh report, the sources said. :what:

Although some trustees said in discussions Thursday and Friday in board meetings in Scranton, Pa., they believed the statue eventually would have to be torn down, most quickly reached a consensus it should remain standing in the coming weeks and months, trustees and a person briefed on their discussions said. Some trustees went even further, insisting Paterno's statue outside Beaver Stadium in State College, Pa., never should be removed.

"It has to stay up," said another trustee. "We have to let a number of months pass, and we'll address it again. But there is no way, no way. It's just not coming down."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8166643/joe-paterno-statue-remain-penn-state-sources-say

I asked before about a text of the report that could be copied. This is what I found at the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ument.html?ref=ncaafootball#annotation/a64119

It has the original document, doc by pages, by NYT's notes on certain passages and by text which can be copied. There is list of notes on the right margin by page. Here are some notes I copied on the 1998 incident:

The fact that investigators were able to retrieve 14-year-old e-mails is striking. Many organizations and individuals don't keep them that long.

Alycia Chambers, a psychologist who had treated the boy before the shower incident, interviewed him about relationship with Sandusky.
Chambers determined, after consulting with colleagues, that Sandusky had followed a likely pedophile's pattern in building his relationship with the boy.
(she also made a report to the Pa. child abuse line.)

This is the first time the public has been told that Schultz kept notes on the 1998 incident, and hid them from investigators.

This note of Schultz's from 1998 is the earliest indication yet made public that top Penn State officials understood how serious the situation could be.

Despite police acknowledging multiple conflicts of interest for the Centre County Children and Youth Services, and being told to postpone a second psychological evaluation of Victim 6, a second evaluation was performed by a counselor who had connections to C.Y.S. That counselor's report would later have key ramifications on the investigation. (Arnold asked Schreffler to hold off on a 2nd evaluation for further investigation but they did it anyway.)

The report from John Seasock, the counselor with ties to C.Y.S. who conducted an evaluation that was supposed to be postponed, "severely hampered" the case against Sandusky.

This is the first indication we've had that another boy was identified in that investigation.

A crime log entry would have made the initial Sandusky investigation public, but the chief of police justified not creating one because of "lack of clear evidence of a crime."

Again, this e-mail shows that Spanier was told in 1998 that something was being looked into, and that it involved Sandusky. But as there was no finding of abuse in that investigation, it does not contradict Spanier's claim that he was never told of any abuse.

Sandusky was not banned from campus after the 1998 investigation, but Spanier, the university president, did ban a sports agent a year earlier for buying $400 worth of clothing for a football player. The agent "fooled around with the integrity of the university, and I won't stand for that," Spanier said.

Despite e-mail chains, notes and other interviews that contradicted their testimony, Spanier, Schultz, Curley and Paterno either deny complete knowledge of or have feint recollection of the 1998 Sandusky investigation.

Again, a very unusual and unexplained benefit conferred on Sandusky when he left. It remains unexplained why the university was willing to give him so much.

Here is the section about JS's retirement pay off that shows he did not receive the full amount after taxes were deducted:

III. Sandusky's Retirement Agreement Penn State's payroll records show that Sandusky received a $168,000 special payment on June 30, 1999. After tax withholding and other deductions, the net amount was $111,990.18.

218 A senior official in the University Controller's office advised the Special Investigative Counsel that in his many years at the University, he had never heard of a payment being made to a retiring employee like the one made to Sandusky.

219 A retired Senior Vice President who worked at Penn State for over 32 years similarly said he had never heard of this type of lump sum payment being made to a retiring employee.

220 While the $168,000 lump sum payment made to Sandusky at his retirement in 1999 was unusual, the Special Investigative Counsel did not find evidence to show that the payment was related to the 1998 incident at the Lasch Building. At the same time Sandusky's retirement agreement was being finalized, Curley sought to have him re-employed as an "emergency hire," because Sandusky had been "integrally involved in the planning and instructional aspects of preparation for this coming [1999] football season and is essential to the continuity of the program's success .........

Maybe the special payment was to get JS to come back for the 1999 season...wasn't that when they won the 2nd championship?

Here is the section about JS's retirement pay off that shows he did not receive the full amount after taxes were deducted:

III. Sandusky's Retirement Agreement Penn State's payroll records show that Sandusky received a $168,000 special payment on June 30, 1999. After tax withholding and other deductions, the net amount was $111,990.18.

218 A senior official in the University Controller's office advised the Special Investigative Counsel that in his many years at the University, he had never heard of a payment being made to a retiring employee like the one made to Sandusky.

219 A retired Senior Vice President who worked at Penn State for over 32 years similarly said he had never heard of this type of lump sum payment being made to a retiring employee.

220 While the $168,000 lump sum payment made to Sandusky at his retirement in 1999 was unusual, the Special Investigative Counsel did not find evidence to show that the payment was related to the 1998 incident at the Lasch Building. At the same time Sandusky's retirement agreement was being finalized, Curley sought to have him re-employed as an "emergency hire," because Sandusky had been "integrally involved in the planning and instructional aspects of preparation for this coming [1999] football season and is essential to the continuity of the program's success .........

Maybe the special payment was to get JS to come back for the 1999 season...wasn't that when they won the 2nd championship?

Penn State won national titles in 82 and 86. They went undefeated in 94 but finished 2nd.

Many Penn State football fans insist the 99 team was one of the more disappointing, especially on defense. They were loaded with stars but didn't produce at the expected level.

Pictures- Graham and the Tickle Monster at the 1997 Second Mile Golf tournament was cropped. The original linked below also shows Lance Shaner, CEO of Shaner Hotels Group, which has its HQ in State College and owns 5 hotels there, including the Toftrees, close to Jerry's home, where Vicitms 4 (Oct 1996 TO Dec 2000) and 10 (Sept 1997 to July 1999)say they were molested. There have been questions as to who OK'd Jerry using the hotel facilities when he wasn't registered, if I remember rightly.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45286859/ns/us_news-state_college?q=State College
The first photo is from 1990, a Second Mile Easter egg hunt at Penn State
The second is the one with Shaner, Spanier and Sandusky.

Attachments

• 2012-06-06t100042z_2_cbre85508kr00_rtroptp_3_usa-crime-sandusky_grid-6x3.jpg
    2012-06-06t100042z_2_cbre85508kr00_rtroptp_3_usa-crime-sandusky_grid-6x3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 2012-06-05t210946z_685519661_tm3e86517i001_rtrmadp_3_usa-crime-sandusky_grid-6x3.jpg
    2012-06-05t210946z_685519661_tm3e86517i001_rtrmadp_3_usa-crime-sandusky_grid-6x3.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 11
We were talking about the statue and one of the men mentioned that as long as it is prominently displayed then the BOT and adm. have not changed their focus. He said that he doesn't believe the only depts. that had no moral compass were adm and football, it probably infected the entire campus and he would be suspect of any research that originated there. So in some peoples' thinking it really taints the whole place.

Howard Fineman

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-fineman/penn-state-reputation-paterno_b_1672415.html

First, last and beyond everything else, it was the uniforms: blindingly ascetic white, with no names on the jerseys or insignia on the helmets.

When you saw Penn State on the football field, you saw team spirit and self-abnegation in action. You saw what coach Joe Paterno wanted you to see, which was his nameless players executing his grand design in religious obedience. The Penn State football team was a secular holy order, and because they looked so clean -- and because Paterno made sure they graduated -- he was seen as the pope of college football.

But it was a facade, and those who knew the story from the inside knew that. The program wasn't clean. Paterno wasn't clean. Penn State wasn't clean.

It was a masterpiece of relentless branding, built on a product that wasn't as advertised. It was a fake.......

Skeptics have been peeling back the Penn State onion for several years now. In 2008, ESPN calculated that in the previous six years, 46 Penn State football players had faced a total of 163 criminal charges; 27 had been convicted or had pleaded guilty. Why the wave of bad behavior? ESPN said it was because the aging Paterno had had an unprecedented four losing seasons in five years.

The narrative that Freeh lays out makes vivid sense if you see it against the background of a football empire that had come to rest on shaky ground by the late 1990s. Paterno could not afford scandal. The university could not afford scandal. To hell with the raped kids.........

JP didn't see his football players as individuals no more than he saw those little boys as individuals. They were just numbers to him, like the victims are. I hope the new coach plasters the players' names on the back of the jerseys this season!

Grrr! The more I read the more angry and flabbergasted I am!

moo

Absolutely one great post, costal! Reading it brought me to this question - where do we go from here. What now will be the answer to the chant "We Are:"

Will it be "We are: Sorry" or :We Are: Ashamed."

You all can have a chance to fill in the blank "We Are:______________.
.....Penn State.

Sandusky and FOUR spineless CYA males are ex-employees of PSU, but contrary to what some believe, these males were not all-inconclusive of Penn State, a university with 500,000 alumni, 94,000 students, and consistently the highest educational ratings.

Howard Fineman

No offense to you, Reader, but that HuffandPuff article of really full of bs. Except for a tiny stripe on the cuff of the sleeve, Penn State's uniforms have been the same very boring style since 1938 which is way before Paterno. (I did get a big laugh out of them trying to spin the truly retro uniforms as a symbol of purity.)
http://www.gopsusports.com/blog/2011/06/penn-state-football-uniforms-through-the-years.html

HuffandPuff also "spun" Penn State's academic record. Shame on them as usual. They forgot to add this:
-PSU is rated in the top 1 percent of higher education institutions worldwide.
-In 2012, Penn State University was ranked #12 by U.S. News & World Report in its “Top Public Schools” list.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

JP didn't see his football players as individuals no more than he saw those little boys as individuals. They were just numbers to him, like the victims are. I hope the new coach plasters the players' names on the back of the jerseys this season!

Grrr! The more I read the more angry and flabbergasted I am!

moo
Many coaches in various sports have not put the names of players on the back of their jerseys. This is supposed to remind the players that there is no "I" in team (or in girls' basketball it means PASS THE BALL). My daughter's bb coach also does this. Fortunately there are only a handful of girls on the bb court so it is easy to identify my kiddo. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak
Back