Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2004, after several incidents involving football players, Mr. Paterno told the Allentown Morning Call newspaper that the players weren't misbehaving any more than usual, but that such news was now more public. "I can go back to a couple guys in the '70s who drove me nuts," he said. "The cops would call me, and I used to put them in bed in my house and run their rear ends off the next day. Nobody knew about it. That's the way we handled it." http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204443404577052073672561402.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet .....................................And nobody knew about it, it was just covered up just like he did with Jerry.

The following day, Dr. Triponey sent an email to Messrs. Spanier, Curley and Puzycki summarizing the meeting and sharing her thoughts and concerns. In the email, which was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, she said that football players were getting in trouble at a "disproportionate rate" from other students, often for serious acts. She said her staff had tried to work with the athletic department, sometimes sharing information, but that whenever her department initiated an investigation into a football player, the phones lit up. "The calls and pleas from coaches, Board members, and others when we are considering a case are, indeed, putting us in a position that does treat football players differently and with greater privilege." http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204443404577052073672561402.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

The following day, Dr. Triponey sent an email to Messrs. Spanier, Curley and Puzycki summarizing the meeting and sharing her thoughts and concerns. In the email, which was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, she said that football players were getting in trouble at a "disproportionate rate" from other students, often for serious acts. She said her staff had tried to work with the athletic department, sometimes sharing information, but that whenever her department initiated an investigation into a football player, the phones lit up. "The calls and pleas from coaches, Board members, and others when we are considering a case are, indeed, putting us in a position that does treat football players differently and with greater privilege." http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204443404577052073672561402.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

Well, that just says it all! :banghead:

I used to tutor athletes when I was a college student, and believe me, it is another world beyond the ordinary university life. At our university, they had their own dorms, cafeteria (with steak instead of fish sticks), tutors, and the coaches were more like parents than teachers. One year the English professors were complaining because the basketball schedule gave the athletes more excused absences than other students, but they were told too bad, so sad. Sports comes first.

Top Stories

penn state scandal
By Luke O'Brien
Nov 22, 2011 3:25 PM

Jerry Sandusky’s Attorney On Hotel Sex And Why Tom Corbett’s Investigation Took So Long

Teenage impregnator and Jerry Sandusky attorney Joe Amendola appeared today on ABC news to say a few things in front of a fake fire and a bad painting. First, he stated the obvious: He expects more charges to be filed against Sandusky.

He then argued—with a twinkle in his eye— that Sandusky couldn't have had repeated sexual contact with boys at his home because he was never alone at his home with boys. A brief transcript of Amendola's conversation with ABC host Jim Avila:

Amendola: "This house was like a hotel, particularly on football weekends."

Avila: "But, Joe, a lot of people have sex in hotels."

Amendola: "You're right they have sex in hotels. But this was a house. And the house was filled with people."

Clarence Darrow this is not. Amendola also defended his client by pointing to how long it took Gov. Tom Corbett, who was Pennsylvania's attorney general at the time, to investigate Sandusky:

If you believe that Jerry Sandusky was a pedophile, then you had to believe there was a substantial risk while you were continuing a three-year grand jury investigation which could've resulted in an arrest with the first boy coming forward three years ago.
http://deadspin.com/5861899/
His wife, Dorothy the enabler, harassed one victim by calling him after knowing that he didn’t want any contact with Sandusky, so she is definitely not going to testify any differently. Other kids, including his own, will likely testify against Sandusky because he was warped in multiple ways in addition to being a child rapist. Here is one example:

In Sandusky’s book, he bragged about how he put his hands around boys’ throats physically threatening them, but then states it was in jest. (Sandusky is huge. Having a huge unknown man threatening to strangle you if you are disobedient is never humorous.)

“Sandusky wrote that one night he was talking to two Second Mile boys who had rebelled against their foster parents, with one boy telling how his foster father had 'grabbed me around the back of my shoulders and he made me do something when I didn't want to do it.'
'Do you ever grab your kids like that?' the boy asked Sandusky.
'No, I don't grab my kids like that,' Sandusky answered. 'I grab them like this.' He wrote: 'With that, I put my hands gently around their throat. It was an apparent jest.

*'I could tell they were totally confused,' Sandusky wrote. 'Both boys had a scared look in their eyes.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-wife-Dorothy-abuse-victim.html#ixzz1eTLaVcMw

That same fall, Dr. Triponey's office suspended Dan Connor, a Penn State linebacker, who had been accused of making harassing calls to a retired assistant coach. Shortly after the suspension was handed down, Mr. Paterno ordered the player to suit up, according to a person familiar with the matter. Dr. Triponey informed the player that if he suited up for practice, he would be in violation of his suspension and could face expulsion. Mr. Connor says he recalled being suspended only for games, not practice.

The incident prompted Mr. Spanier to visit Dr. Triponey at her home. Dr. Triponey confirms he told her that Mr. Paterno had given him an ultimatum: Fire her, or Mr. Paterno would stop fund-raising for the school. She says Mr. Spanier told her that if forced to choose, he would choose her over the coach—but that he did not want to have to make that choice.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204443404577052073672561402.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet
Later, Mr. Connor's suspension was reduced to 10 days, allowing him to return to football.

Regarding the campus ban on Sandusky's presence following the 2002 shower incident:
---
Indeed, eight days before [Sara] Ganim first broke the news of the Sandusky Grand Jury investigation in the Harrisburg Patriot-News, and a year after Patriot-News reporter Ganim first asked Spanier about his knowledge of the investigation, Spanier, Curley and Sandusky all attended a small reception at Beaver Stadium on March 23, 2011, honoring the Penn State wrestling team.
---
much more, with pictures of the event also, at link below:

Small 2011 PSU Event: Sandusky, Curley, Spanier (sportsbybrooks.com)

Top Stories

penn state scandal
By Luke O'Brien
Nov 22, 2011 3:25 PM

Jerry Sandusky’s Attorney On Hotel Sex And Why Tom Corbett’s Investigation Took So Long

Teenage impregnator and Jerry Sandusky attorney Joe Amendola appeared today on ABC news to say a few things in front of a fake fire and a bad painting. First, he stated the obvious: He expects more charges to be filed against Sandusky.

He then argued—with a twinkle in his eye— that Sandusky couldn't have had repeated sexual contact with boys at his home because he was never alone at his home with boys. A brief transcript of Amendola's conversation with ABC host Jim Avila:

Amendola: "This house was like a hotel, particularly on football weekends."

Avila: "But, Joe, a lot of people have sex in hotels."

Amendola: "You're right they have sex in hotels. But this was a house. And the house was filled with people."

Clarence Darrow this is not. Amendola also defended his client by pointing to how long it took Gov. Tom Corbett, who was Pennsylvania's attorney general at the time, to investigate Sandusky:

If you believe that Jerry Sandusky was a pedophile, then you had to believe there was a substantial risk while you were continuing a three-year grand jury investigation which could've resulted in an arrest with the first boy coming forward three years ago.
http://deadspin.com/5861899/

Seriously?

Even if he lived in a flippin tent and other people were in it this guy could have still assaulted these poor kids.

Man, I'd love to testify that these freaks take the chances especially if they have relatives that put on the blindfolds. I could let them know they'd attack a kid at a lake while a party went on all around them.

This attorney is a piece of work. Could that defense actually work? It's like he knows something we don't.

After Dr. Triponey's departure, the university hired Bob Secor, a former vice provost at the school, to head a committee to examine the judicial-review process. Mr. Secor says that Mr. Paterno told him that he didn't think other people should be able to decide whether a football player should be able to play or not. "And we agreed with that," he says.

On Oct. 1, 2007, Mr. Spanier accepted the committee's recommended changes. Under the new rules, the judicial-review process would have only a limited ability to end a student's participation in activities—including football. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204443404577052073672561402.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet Paterno got what he always got and wanted. No crime by anyone would stop his football.

Regarding the campus ban on Sandusky's presence following the 2002 shower incident:

much more, with pictures of the event also, at link below:

Small 2011 PSU Event: Sandusky, Curley, Spanier (sportsbybrooks.com)

That sportybrooks article is full of spin. That was a huge party for hundreds of individuals involved as boosters for the Penn State wrestling team to honor the wrestling coach. Also in this article, Graham Spaniar is incorrectly stated to be a child psychologist. He has a bachelors degree in political science and a PhD in SOCIOLOGY.....not a child psychologist.

Well, that just says it all! :banghead:

I used to tutor athletes when I was a college student, and believe me, it is another world beyond the ordinary university life. At our university, they had their own dorms, cafeteria (with steak instead of fish sticks), tutors, and the coaches were more like parents than teachers. One year the English professors were complaining because the basketball schedule gave the athletes more excused absences than other students, but they were told too bad, so sad. Sports comes first.
Sadly, it is like this at most huge institutions and has been for almost a century. People PAY to see college sports and this brings in money that funds all kinds of other university needs. Like everything else, it is all about the $$$$$$.

When dinosaurs ruled the Earth, I had Human Physiology in a huge auditorium at the University of Oklahoma with no less than 4000 kids in that course. A football star's girlfriend was enrolled in this course and she was allowed to bring their toddler to the lecturers. He ran up and down the uncarpeted stairs frequently falling and crying. No one said anything. The professor knew her name and always welcomed her when she entered the lecture hall.

I was required to take a CPR and First Aid Training as a one hour course at OU like all Nursing majors at that time. This was an easy course so numerous football jocks were enrolled. During the CPR certification exam, one football player BLEW OUT the lungs on the resuscitation dummy. The grad student thought this was hilarious. The nursing students had to beg the local YMCA to quickly offer us another certification exam because an expired CPR card would prohibit us from going to our clinicals.

That sportybrooks article is full of spin. That was a huge party for hundreds of individuals involved as boosters for the Penn State wrestling team to honor the wrestling coach. Also in this article, Graham Spaniar is incorrectly stated to be a child psychologist. He has a bachelors degree in political science and a PhD in SOCIOLOGY.....not a child psychologist.

Yes, you're right, looks like a reporter's error on Spanier. How that qualifies as "spin" is debatable.

As for the informal get-together, it looks like exactly that - a booster's club function at the end of a successful wrestling season with a "brief program" and casual dress. If that's "a huge party," Penn State's party standards would seem limited.

President Spanier and athletic director Curley were at a function on campus in 2011 also attended by Jerry Sandusky, years after Sandusky was allegedly banned, according to Spanier and Curley, for activities in a Penn State shower. That the ban was unenforceable and that no one limited Sandusky's on-campus visits and that the president and athletic director of the university were at this event, as was Sandusky - this all speaks for itself.

Yes, you're right, looks like a reporter's error on Spanier. How that qualifies as "spin" is debatable.

As for the informal get-together, it looks like exactly that - a booster's club function at the end of a successful wrestling season with a "brief program" and casual dress. If that's "a huge party," Penn State's party standards would seem limited.

President Spanier and athletic director Curley were at a function on campus in 2011 also attended by Jerry Sandusky, years after Sandusky was allegedly banned, according to Spanier and Curley, for activities in a Penn State shower. That the ban was unenforceable and that no one limited Sandusky's on-campus visits and that the president and athletic director of the university were at this event, as was Sandusky - this all speaks for itself.
I thought that Sandusky was only banned from the athletic facilities (locker rooms) not celebration parties (honoring the wrestling coach) or other functions in 2002? (He should have been banned from the entire university.... by being sent to prison.)

Exactly how did they inform Sandusky that he was barred from the athletic facility? Was this letter released yet to the press?

How did they inform Sandusky that he was not to enter the athletic facilities anymore? I want to see this correspondence (which you know doesn't exist). What did the President do? Did he send him an email or pull Sandusky aside stating, "Hey dude! It is like really uncool to rape little boys in the university's showers so you can't go in there anymore. K?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro