Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My two cents: Don't shoot the messenger. :twocents:

A journalist can be young and still be good. Woodward and Bernstein were young.

I knew a guy who won the Pulitzer Prize in his twenties for a series of articles in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

In my opinion, whoever broke this story did a courageous thing, and considering the outcry over Paterno's firing, and the fact that every single Judge in the county has to recuse themselves from this case to avoid the appearance of corruption, it's obvious the press was up against some powerful people.

Sara is a "spinner". She stated that she interviewed victims, but Sandusky's own attorney can't find the victims because they are anonymous except for the Mill Hall boy and now Sandusky's grandchild. Sara is spinning that she has interview victims since the last two weeks in this statement .

And just why should we believe everything Sandusky's attorney says? They can't find the victims? I'm sure Jerry knows exactly who they are, so they aren't anonymous to him.

Sara stated: “The victims I’ve talked to have said it’s been a lot more about the scandal and lot less about them, so I have to remember not to lose their voice in this.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/...-reporter-beat-journalisms.html#ixzz1eh4ztlkF

I call bs.

Journalists do not have to reveal their sources, and I think at this point they might be seeking her out to thank her. JMOO

BTW, Sue Paterno is not "the enemy". There is no "light" that needs to be shone upon her. She is an elderly woman without any guilt in this crime.

Neither she nor her husband have been charged with a crime . . . yet.

However, just because she is (a) elderly and (b) a wife doesn't make her blind or clueless about what has been happening for the past 20 years, does it?

The "I didn't see anything" defense is only going to take people so far. The university wasn't buying it from Paterno, and I doubt they'd buy it from his wife either.

I'm sorry they are both going through this now while they are elderly, but that's what the Football Program gets for sweeping this under the carpet for so many years. They delayed the inevitable. :cow:

Pensfan said:
There is no chance in hXXX that she wore a bathing suit daily for 46 years in front of football players (required behavior to swim in their pool). A "light" should be shone upon those who hope to further their pathetic career off the back of an elderly innocent woman by portraying her as feeling entitled or slutty (if this is where Sara intends to take this new spin to her story).
I think that's just an outrageous claim to make against a journalist who has done the whole world a favor by outing this child rapist. Who is calling Mrs. Paterno a *advertiser censored*?

If this whole thing is a publicist trying to make the press sound confused, or paint Mrs. Paterno as a victim, then I guess it's working. But as I wrote before, if either one of the Paternos expects to show up on campus and get the royal treatment, they are delusional.

The tool Sara Ganim sort of retracts her FALSE statement about Sue Paterno.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/in..._didnt_ban_sue_pate/3032/comments-newest.html

The title of her new article is 'Penn State campus pool didn't ban Sue Paterno; it's closed"

Notice in her backtracking and butt-saving new article there is no longer a good friend of the Paternos who supposedly told her this important info. Her new source of this information is now a HUGE group called Intercollegiate Athletics. ROFL How convenient that Intercollegiate Athletics probably has 10,000+ people so one person cannot be contacted to verify that they told Sara Ganim this bs.

And just why should we believe everything Sandusky's attorney says? They can't find the victims? I'm sure Jerry knows exactly who they are, so they aren't anonymous to him.
If Sandusky has 50-100 victims like fixated pedophiles are stated to have in the medical literature, Sanduaky might not know which of the 50-100 boys he raped testified against him.

Journalists do not have to reveal their sources, and I think at this point they might be seeking her out to thank her. JMOO
I think these young men wanted to remain anonymous in the grand jury testimony because they want to remain anonymous. They aren't going to call or visit a complete stranger and discuss the most embarrassing occurrence in their lives..

Neither she nor her husband have been charged with a crime . . . yet.
However, just because she is (a) elderly and (b) a wife doesn't make her blind or clueless about what has been happening for the past 20 years, does it?
The "I didn't see anything" defense is only going to take people so far. The university wasn't buying it from Paterno, and I doubt they'd buy it from his wife either.

I'm sorry they are both going through this now while they are elderly, but that's what the Football Program gets for sweeping this under the carpet for so many years. They delayed the inevitable. :cow:
There is NO evidence that states Sue Paterno knew that Sandusky raped a child in the shower. None.

I think that's just an outrageous claim to make against a journalist who has done the whole world a favor by outing this child rapist. Who is calling Mrs. Paterno a *advertiser censored*?

If this whole thing is a publicist trying to make the press sound confused, or paint Mrs. Paterno as a victim, then I guess it's working. But as I wrote before, if either one of the Paternos expects to show up on campus and get the royal treatment, they are delusional.

Read Sara's latest "story". She is backpeddling and has now changed the details AGAIN. I really did not like the last time Sara Ganim changed the details and stated in her twitter that Sue Paterno had been denied the use of the athletic/football players' pool (since Sara realized the other pools were closed). That same article stated that Sue Paterno used their pool daily. Since Sue Paterno has been on this campus for 46 years, that implies that she is in the football players' pool/athletic facility in her bathing suit every morning for the last 46 years. Do you see what can be construed from such a statement?

If Sandusky has 50-100 victims like fixated pedophiles are stated to have in the medical literature, Sanduaky might not know which of the 50-100 boys he raped testified against him.

I think these young men wanted to remain anonymous in the grand jury testimony because they want to remain anonymous. They aren't going to call or visit a complete stranger and discuss the most embarrassing occurrence in their lives..

But you are assuming that those same people wouldn't speak anonymously to a reporter who will protect their sources. Actually, the mother of one of the victims was speaking out just yesterday, so I'm really not surprised that others might want to talk.

Pensfan said:
There is NO evidence that states Sue Paterno knew that Sandusky raped a child in the shower. None.

No, but her husband did. She'll never have to testify against JoePa anyway, so it's all good.

Pensfan said:
Read Sara's latest "story". She is backpeddling and has now changed the details AGAIN. I really did not like the last time Sara Ganim changed the details and stated in her twitter that Sue Paterno had been denied the use of the athletic/football players' pool (since Sara realized the other pools were closed).

Maybe someone is leaking bad information to this reporter? It happens, and there are probably hundreds of people right now who want to discredit her. I'm betting on shenanigans.

None of this stuff about the pool changes the facts about the case at all, and that was her original story.

Pensfan said:
That same article stated that Sue Paterno used their pool daily. Since Sue Paterno has been on this campus for 46 years, that implies that she is in the football players' pool/athletic facility in her bathing suit every morning for the last 46 years. Do you see what can be construed from such a statement?

No, I really don't understand your point at all, so I'm just going to drop this whole thing. But you seem to be assuming for some reason that the whole football team is swimming in the pool every morning for the past 46 years too, and I've never known any football players from any school who would go swimming in the morning. Running and football practice yes, but not swimming.

:cow: :cow: :cow: This is really a tempest in a teapot and a holiday distraction from the actual case as far as I'm concerned.

They made a mint from the taxpayers dole over the years.

Actually the money isn't from the taxpayer's dole:

"Penn State said Paterno's compensation does not come from state appropriations or student tuition since he works for athletics, a self-supporting department funded largely through ticket sales."

So in this case it is not the 1% but general American culture that provides Paterno with such largess. Once a closely guarded Penn State secret, years of litigation finally brought to light Paterno's salary:

"Records released Friday by the university show the 82-year-old Hall of Famer is Penn State's highest-paid employee, making more than $1.03 million last year [2008]. That includes his base salary plus any bonuses, but does not include compensation from outside the university that top coaches typically collect. Paterno's compensation from other sources is not a public record."

I'd guess he got a cartload of gold from the "other sources" which probably involves a lot of 1% stuff.

Above information came from this concise informative article:
ESPN article

She then changed her story to state that Sue Pa was trying to swim in the football players' pool.

Wow that's pretty cool for a sports team to have their own pool. I wonder how often Jerry was in on the water sports there. He did seem to like pools a lot. He even kept boys bathing suits in trunk of his car in case one was needed.

NYT article

(link has already been posted above)

Since Sue Paterno has been on this campus for 46 years, that implies that she is in the football players' pool/athletic facility in her bathing suit every morning for the last 46 years. Do you see what can be construed from such a statement?

Actually no I don't see what can be construed from such a statement. I have done lap swimming throughout my life, let's see, for 40 years or so. Swimming is always co-ed, there is no implication when women swim with men. What are you implying? Some fundamentalist religious idea that a female is compromising herself if she swims laps with males?

Furthermore it's possible that Sue Paterno swam during early hours or some other time when the players were not there. She certainly would have had access at any time she wanted. The fact that she has been a regular workout swimmer rises her up a notch in my judgment. Until evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume she did not know the worst of what was going on. It may be that Joe, if he was the older traditional male type, did not tell his wife details about Sandusky's abuse of children.

Jerry Sandusky Accused of Molesting Own Family Members

http://sports./viewArticle.action?articleId=281474980811823

Sandusky needs to be thankful he's not married to this gal:

Pakistani woman suspected of killing, cooking husband

In an interview broadcast late Thursday, she claimed to have killed her husband because he wanted a physical relationship with their daughter -- and said she did not regret her actions.

"I killed my husband before he dared to touch my daughter," she told ARY News.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/25/world/asia/pakistan-husband-stew/index.html

Personally, I wish he was. :rocker:

"Joe Paterno: Linebackers" -- was released in the late '90s and features Sandusky running a hands on tackling drill with a group of young boys. This website actually has a clip from the video (as well as an interview with Sandusky about Second Mile, clips of Paterno, etc.)

ThatsHipHop

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/...y-court-strategy-20111124,0,420872,full.story

When Jerry Sandusky makes his next court appearance court Dec. 13 for a preliminary hearing on 40 counts of sexually abusing children, the former Penn State assistant football coach and his attorney face a decision that will signal how they plan to handle the rest of the case.

A preliminary hearing is the first opportunity for a criminal defendant to face his accusers, and defense attorneys who specialize in sexual abuse cases and high-profile trials say it's a valuable chance to assess the defendant's testimony before trial.

"If Sandusky maintains that adamant stance that 'I didn't do anything' and 'This is all wrong,' then I would expect that he and his defense team will want to go through with the preliminary hearing," Easton defense attorney Phil Lauer said.

To forgo the hearing would be a tactical mistake for a defendant who plans to go to trial. But if Sandusky passes up that opportunity, it would be a strong indication that he doesn't plan to contest the charges, Doylestown attorney Sara Webster said.

"If he waives the preliminary hearing, that's an absolute giveaway that he's going to plead guilty," Webster said.

More at link....

Good info on preliminary hearing....On another topic-- Someone posted an article previously about the possibility that jury pool is tainted, sandusky may not be able to get 'fair' trial... the fact that every judge in county recused themselves point to this...
Also this article mentions 'star' witness McQuery, who now maitains he reported sandusky, though there is no police report to that effect. Possibility defense will run with "McQuery is a liar" angle and cast more doubt on eyewitness testimony? I guess I'm thinking worst case scenario possibilities...

Good info on preliminary hearing....On another topic-- Someone posted an article previously about the possibility that jury pool is tainted, sandusky may not be able to get 'fair' trial... the fact that every judge in county recused themselves point to this...
Also this article mentions 'star' witness McQuery, who now maitains he reported sandusky, though there is no police report to that effect. Possibility defense will run with "McQuery is a liar" angle and cast more doubt on eyewitness testimony? I guess I'm thinking worst case scenario possibilities...

He said in his SJ testimony that he reported it to Shultz; Shultz oversaw the University Police. Shultz says McQuery reported it. So, that isn't exactly incorrect and I think he said that in the e-mail.

The stronger charges are those involving Victim 1 and Victim 6; those will be difficult to defend. Victim 6 is a strong case, but what Sandusky is alleged to have done is not the worst of the allegations.

Public Radio International's "American Life" is playing hour long show on local Penn State reactions to Sandusky coverup.

A statement from the Patriot Press that they stand behind their reporting on the "Sue Paterno-pool incident".

Sue Paterno, wife of former head football coach Joe Paterno, was indeed told to leave a Penn State campus pool recently, according to a source close to the family.

The story created online chatter about the Penn State Natatorium's holiday schedule. When university spokesman Bill Mahon said Thursday that Sue Paterno was not turned away from the Natatorium - because the facility is closed for Thanksgiving - it created the impression that The Patriot-News' original story was wrong.

Our story was correct. Sue Paterno never even went to the Natatorium. She always works out at the football building's pool and that is the pool she was asked to leave.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_and_sue_paterno_wor.html

Actually no I don't see what can be construed from such a statement. I have done lap swimming throughout my life, let's see, for 40 years or so. Swimming is always co-ed, there is no implication when women swim with men. What are you implying? Some fundamentalist religious idea that a female is compromising herself if she swims laps with males?

Furthermore it's possible that Sue Paterno swam during early hours or some other time when the players were not there. She certainly would have had access at any time she wanted. The fact that she has been a regular workout swimmer rises her up a notch in my judgment. Until evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume she did not know the worst of what was going on. It may be that Joe, if he was the older traditional male type, did not tell his wife details about Sandusky's abuse of children.
There are NO facts known about Sue Pa except that she has tirelessly worked for Special Olympics and to raise funds for the university. This shameless story came from a tiny news source that has changed that story multiple times. No one, but this source has ever stated that that Sue Paterno swims every day and works out. I would bet my retirement that the Paternos have their own exercise equipment in their own home like the majority of wealthy Americans and they likely have a pool in their backyard behind their modest home. The Patriot New's spinning that elderly, frail Sue Pa feels entitled to swim and exercise with a bunch of young male athletes is shameful. It was a shameful story in the beginning and became more shameful as Sara Ganim's lack of research was uncovered and she began to cover her mistake.

A statement from the Patriot Press that they stand behind their reporting on the "Sue Paterno-pool incident".

Quote:
Sue Paterno, wife of former head football coach Joe Paterno, was indeed told to leave a Penn State campus pool recently, according to a source close to the family.
The story created online chatter about the Penn State Natatorium's holiday schedule. When university spokesman Bill Mahon said Thursday that Sue Paterno was not turned away from the Natatorium - because the facility is closed for Thanksgiving - it created the impression that The Patriot-News' original story was wrong.
Our story was correct. Sue Paterno never even went to the Natatorium. She always works out at the football building's pool and that is the pool she was asked to leave.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...terno_wor.html

Bill Mahon did NOT post a statement that the pools were closed. ROFL This was uncovered right here on this thread on Websleuths. The original story stated that a university spokesman was not aware of any directive on this (Sue swimming in the pool) and that Joe Paterno still held tenure. Half a day later, Sara changed that story and wrote, "Uh.... yeah. I knew the pools were closed....uh...uh....Sue Paterno was trying to swim at the football players' facility. Yeah...that's the ticket." She then changed her source to "Intercollegiate Athletics" (includes 10,000 kids). ROFL

I would be willing to bet all of my leftover pecan pie that the athletic facility pool was also closed during Thanksgiving break too. LOL

<modsnip>

There are NO facts known about Sue Pa except that she has tirelessly worked for Special Olympics and to raise funds for the university. This shameless story came from a tiny news source that has changed that story multiple times. No one, but this source has ever stated that that Sue Paterno swims every day and works out. I would bet my retirement that the Paternos have their own exercise equipment in their own home like the majority of wealthy Americans and they likely have a pool in their backyard behind their modest home. The Patriot New's spinning that elderly, frail Sue Pa feels entitled to swim and exercise with a bunch of young male athletes is shameful. It was a shameful story in the beginning and became more shameful as Sara Ganim's lack of research was uncovered and she began to cover her mistake.

BBM Well, if they do have a pool behind their modest house, I guarantee you she ain't using it these days. It's COLD in PA. I don't know the point of your stating that in the first place.

BBM Well, if they do have a pool behind their modest house, I guarantee you she ain't using it these days. It's COLD in PA. I don't know the point of your stating that in the first place.
Many people have bubbles over their inground pools. Others have pools inside garden rooms/atriums.

I just caught up here, and amazingly the majority of the last four pages were about Sue Paterno's rebuff at the pool. Okaaaaay, here's what I have to say about it.

Who cares-- I mean, if she's meant to have rights to swim there they will be restored to her through proper channels. This is a bump in her ordinary routine that her husband's PR machine decided to exploit, and it's worked. The message is And now they're picking on poor old Sue, who just wanted to swim her laps like she's been doing for the past forty years. What was the harm? Then the cynic in me asks: why did the Paterno's PR people need to elicit public sympathy for Sue too? I mean heck, there's a lung cancer recently announced, isn't that enough to tread lightly on this pair who appear to be on the sidelines of the scandal anyway?

The answer is, imo: Since we don't have any idea what the rest of the Grand Jury testimony reveals about the Paterno's knowledge/reaction to the alleged crimes, I can only surmise that because there's a public relations firm hired by Paterno-- and lung cancer followed by a certain death and Sue's peding widowhood is not enough to cushion the public response-- I'd say they absolutely knew, and a long time ago decided it was none of their business. PR firm has advised, imo, that we the public will NOT understand how little boys being raped with their awareness can mesh with the kindly couple of Penn State. They are calculating pity cards as we speak, and it sounds like Sue's plight at the grocery store might be next. Or maybe she'll be uninvited to the bridge club she's played with since the 1960's. You get the picture.

I think that PR firm is staging a "haven't they been through enough" campaign before their testimony becomes public. I have no idea if they might be culpable criminally or civilly, but this is one game in a series.

All of this is jmo.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members