Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am horrified by this case, and, am trying to catch up on everything. :(

New PSU staff takes shape without Jay Paterno

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/01/10/3047828/new-psu-staff-takes-shape-without.html#storylink=cpy

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Jay Paterno is leaving Penn State's coaching staff after spending 17 years as an assistant under his father, Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno........."I wish the program the best of luck in carrying on the academic and athletic excellence that have been a hallmark of this university for decades," Jay Paterno said in a statement.

Jay Paterno said he and O'Brien spoke this week and the two "reached the conclusion" he would not be part of the new staff. He planned to take the next few weeks to consult his wife and family about options both inside and outside of football.
------

Defensive coordinator Tom Bradley, who applied for the head-coaching job while serving as Paterno's interim replacement, is among other assistants from Paterno's staff not expected to return. Secondary coach Kermit Buggs posted Tuesday on Twitter that he had been let go.

More at link...

the 'Murder in the Stacks' of Betsy Aardsma, an innocent grad student, may have been because she witnessed illicit activity? Are these circumstances urban legend, or is there something to this??

http://www.statecollegemagazine.com...ws]=351&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=2dd074a930

http://www.defrostingcoldcases.com/forensics/pennstate-remembers-betsy-aardsma-1969

but maybe Haeffner and Sundusky were partaking of something illict in the stacks when happened upon by Betsy....as I said...it's a leap....but so much of this is unbelievable...

Penn State president to face alumni in Pittsburgh

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=18778308&ps=1011&cat=&cps=0&lang=en

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Penn State University President Rodney Erickson is facing a crowd of alumni Wednesday in Pittsburgh, some of whom aren't happy about how the school handled the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal, the firing of football coach Joe Paterno and a lack of transparency over the case.

Erickson is attempting to repair the school's image with alumni, faculty, staff and students, more than two months since Sandusky's arrest brought controversy, criticism and contemplation to the school.
------

The alumni meeting comes as investigators re-interview current and former employees of Penn State's athletic department as part of the case against the 67-year-old Sandusky, a longtime football assistant who's charged with sexually abusing 10 boys over a 15-year period. He has denied the charges and remains out on $250,000 bail while awaiting trial.

The alumni meeting in Pittsburgh is the first of three; the others are planned in coming days in suburban Philadelphia and New York. They are being sponsored by the Penn State Alumni Association, which has received thousands of emails and phone calls about the scandal, association president Roger Williams said.
------

"I hope that they come in with an open mind and actually listen to what the students and alumni have to say and truly hear why we are so upset. It has nothing to do with football — it has to do with the veil of secrecy that's been operated under for what appears to be numerous years."

More at link...

From BigCat's link:

TrusteeMtg.jpg

I know Poole is not an uncommon name but with this bunch, you've at least got to wonder if it was the TSM head honcho.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/report-sandusky-in-psu-presidents-box-2-mos-ago-29952

Former Penn State athletic director has cancer

http://news.yahoo.com/former-penn-state-athletic-director-cancer-004319204--spt.html

PITTSBURGH (Reuters) - Former Penn State University Athletic Director Tim Curley, who faces perjury charges stemming from the child sex abuse scandal that has rocked the school, is suffering from lung cancer, his family said on Wednesday.

A malignant cancerous tumor was discovered in June 2010 and half of Curley's lung was removed, his family said in a statement. The statement said he had not undergone chemotherapy or radiation, but did not elaborate.

More at link...

For alumni, few answers from Penn State president

http://news.yahoo.com/alumni-few-answers-penn-state-president-085126248--spt.html

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Penn State University President Rodney Erickson had comforting words but few answers to tough questions at a town hall meeting with alumni in Pittsburgh in the wake of the school's child sex abuse scandal.
------

Dave Hrinak, a 1980 graduate who lives near Pittsburgh, said before the meeting that he has one main message for Erickson.

"Never again let anybody get as much power as Joe Paterno had," Hrinak said, adding that he feels that way even though he respects Paterno and is a season ticket holder at football games.

The most sustained and passionate applause of the evening came from a questioner who suggested that the entire board of trustees step down, but Erickson failed to build on the emotion.

"I think the board will have to make those decisions," said Erickson, who is also scheduled to speak to alumni in New York City on Friday.

More at link...

http://news.yahoo.com/alumni-few-answers-penn-state-president-085126248--spt.html

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Penn State University President Rodney Erickson had comforting words but few answers to tough questions at a town hall meeting with alumni in Pittsburgh in the wake of the school's child sex abuse scandal.
------

Dave Hrinak, a 1980 graduate who lives near Pittsburgh, said before the meeting that he has one main message for Erickson.

"Never again let anybody get as much power as Joe Paterno had," Hrinak said, adding that he feels that way even though he respects Paterno and is a season ticket holder at football games.

The most sustained and passionate applause of the evening came from a questioner who suggested that the entire board of trustees step down, but Erickson failed to build on the emotion.

"I think the board will have to make those decisions," said Erickson, who is also scheduled to speak to alumni in New York City on Friday.

More at link...

Erickson is only staying at Penn State until 2014 per an article I read in Sporting News. That is the length of his contract.

Seems like Erickson is going to be the out front guy taking all the grenades tossed by disgusted alumni, fans and media, etc. and hopefully get this Sandusky situation under control and behind them.

This was something I thought they would do with the hiring of the football coach but not sure how O'Brien will fit into the program. Maybe this is the plan for him as well. Time will tell.

------

More at link...

I'm glad to see the alumni holding these people's feet to the fire. :thumb:

What's the over/under number on days until the next Second Mile/Penn State "pedophiles involved with Sandusky in the same group" rumor gets floated? Because it surely will. And with the way this case has gone already - well, who's to say, who's to say.

If the new coach has filled all his assistant slots what does this mean for McQueary?

From the Pittsburgh Post Gazette this morning 1/14/12

Franco Harris: 'Bad leadership at Penn State'
Friday, January 13, 2012

By Frank Fitzpatrick, The Philadelphia Inquirer
Thursday night's fog delayed Franco Harris' flight to Philadelphia so long that he missed Penn State president Rodney Erickson's question-and-answer session with 600 agitated Nittany Lions alumni at the Radisson Valley Forge.

But the former all-American running back from Mount Holly said he'd heard more than enough from university leadership in the aftermath of the child sex-abuse scandal that led to the dismissal of his old coach, Joe Paterno.

"There's been a lack of leadership at Penn State," Harris told a group of reporters and fellow Nittany Lions graduates who had gathered in a conference room just below the hall where Erickson was speaking. "There's been bad leadership at Penn State. This leadership does not represent me."

Harris and disgruntled Penn State graduate Anthony Lubrano, a major athletic donor from Chester County, hastily scheduled the session because they were frustrated with the answers Erickson had given at a Wednesday night Q&A in Pittsburgh.

Since Jerry Sandusky's early November arrest triggered the crisis at his alma mater, Harris, 61, has been an outspoken critic of the board of trustees' decision to dismiss Paterno.

"Nobody has done more for Penn State than Joe Paterno," he said.

For Harris, that discontent with Erickson and the trustees intensified Thursday when he read a fresh board statement on Paterno's firing. In it, the trustees said that "given the serious allegations ... Coach Paterno could not be expected to continue to effectively perform his duties."

"Serious allegations? Those were serious allegations," Harris noted. "But those serious allegations weren't against Joe Paterno."

Harris called for the replacement of the entire 32-member board, but, in response to a question, said he would not be a candidate.

"My running days," he said, "are over."

Ron Musselman's Penn State blog and videos are featured exclusively on PG+, a members-only web site from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Our introduction to PG+ gives you all the details.
First published on January 13, 2012 at 11:38 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12013/1203301-143.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX#ixzz1jRFFCpHB

According to CBS Chicago Sports today - we have been mislead by Penn State Officials - Paterno was never fired.

To read more go to chicago.cbslocal.com

Following is a brief portion of the report

“The Board of Trustees and Graham Spanier have decided that, effective immediately, Dr. Spanier is no longer president of the University. Additionally, the board determined that it is in the best interest of the University for Joe Paterno to no longer serve as head football coach, effective immediately.”

The fans in the room gasped. Some reporters did too. The headlines were immediately written: “PATERNO FIRED”. The students rioted.

Article written by Adam Hodge at CBSChichago.com

After 61 years at Penn State, the unthinkable had happened. Joe Paterno did not leave Penn State on his own terms. He had been fired.

Or so we thought.

As if no one would notice – and oddly, no one did – the Board of Trustees released their statement Thursday revealing that Paterno was still being paid as a faculty member and that the university intended to “honor the terms of his employment contract and is treating him financially as if he had retired at the end of the 2011 football season.”

In other words, Penn State didn’t fire him. They suspended him with pay for the rest of the season and now that the season is over, Paterno is willfully retiring.

Written by Adam Hodge CBSChicago.com

to Tipstaff, thanks for article excerpts above.

"...Board of Trustees released their statement Thursday revealing that Paterno was still being paid as a faculty member and that the university intended to “honor the terms of his employment contract and is treating him financially as if he had retired at the end of the 2011 football season.”

Per Tipstaff "In other words, Penn State didn’t fire him. They suspended him with pay for the rest of the season and now that the season is over, Paterno is willfully retiring."

If I follow correctly, another way to express it (respectfully, Tipstaff) =

Starting in early Nov---
--- employer PennSt cont'd paying e'ee for services under contract, thru (?);
--- employee JoePa did not perform services, per bd/t'ee's action.
Neither party negotiated for new contract.

Paterno: the Sally Jenkins interview, Washington Post:

Joe Paterno’s first interview since the Penn State-Sandusky scandal

Lengthy piece. Judging by the first page (of six pages), the general tone seems to be one we've heard sounded before:
“I didn’t know exactly how to handle it and I was afraid to do something that might jeopardize what the university procedure was,” [Paterno] said. “So I backed away and turned it over to some other people, people I thought would have a little more expertise than I did. It didn’t work out that way.”
Remember, this is in response to being told a child was being molested in your athletic building's shower. Sheer bullsh-t: "I didn't know the procedure" - uh, how 'bout calling 911.

I haven't read the whole thing. Maybe interesting, maybe not. But it is the first full interview with disgraced JoePa since this all came down. The rest of it's at the Washington Post link up top.

to Tipstaff, thanks for article excerpts above.

"...Board of Trustees released their statement Thursday revealing that Paterno was still being paid as a faculty member and that the university intended to “honor the terms of his employment contract and is treating him financially as if he had retired at the end of the 2011 football season.”

Per Tipstaff "In other words, Penn State didn’t fire him. They suspended him with pay for the rest of the season and now that the season is over, Paterno is willfully retiring."

If I follow correctly, another way to express it (respectfully, Tipstaff) =

Starting in early Nov---
--- employer PennSt cont'd paying e'ee for services under contract, thru (?);

--- employee JoePa did not perform services, per bd/t'ee's action.
Neither party negotiated for new contract.

Alpine those were the words of the CBS sportswriter Hodge - but it does seem to me that Penn State allowed the misrepresentation of Paterno's tenure and ending to continue.

In some twisted way the fact that Paterno was permitted by the University to retire will play big in favor of Sandusky and his attorney at trial. IMO

This pretty well sums up critical thinking re: the Paterno Washington Post "interview" piece (linked above):

Joe Paterno’s First Interview Since The Sandusky Scandal Is A Five Page Waste Of Time (Deadspin)
On things that may make other people throw up their hands in disgust and say "are you kidding me?": "'You know, he didn't want to get specific,' Paterno said. 'And to be frank with you I don't know that it would have done any good, because I never heard of, of, rape and a man. So I just did what I thought was best. I talked to people that I thought would be, if there was a problem, that would be following up on it.'"
Other highlights (lowlights?) of interview at link (and also another link to Washington Post interview itself)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Horrorgirl87