Penn State Sandusky Trial #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a look at the Judge's instructions to the jury:

You will have list by child with each crime, and a worksheet with each crime and a list of questions you must enter before reaching verdict. Verdict sheet, too.

Instructions on law you must apply - Defense argument first, then prosecution case.

1) The verdict must arise from own independent review of facts and application of law, good common sense, oath you you. We all rely on integrity and good judgment.

2) The defendant is presumed to be innocent. He is assumed to be innocent throughout this trial unless and until you conclude that the Commonwealth has proven to your satisfaction he is guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

The defense is not required to present any evidence or prove anything. Commonwealth has burden.

If they have failed, your verdict must be Not Guilty.
by Shaun Ganley/Staff edited by Shaun Ganley/Staff 7:23 AM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yRDv8RGt

From judge: Reasonable doubt is not an imagined doubt…

Not enough that evidence cast doubt on innocence of doubt….to find guilty, you must be convinced of guilt to same degree…

You may not find guilty based on mere suspicion. Must prove beyond reasonable doubt.

You will have to confront question, when does innocent conduct become criminal? Not necessarily a crime to touch a child. Ski coach, wrestling coach demonstrates moves, teacher puts comforting arm around crying child.

Is a crime for man to have oral sex with boy? If you believe the testimony in this case, you may find defendant guilty. But other forms of contact more problematic – not necessarily crime to take shower, lather boy’s hair, shoulders, give back rub. Might just be poor judgment, but not criminal. Not necessarily a crime for adult to make child feel uncomfortable. Intent with which it is done makes it a crime.

Different between family affection from lust. Display of affection not lust. But when performed with sexual motive at expense of child, that is a crime.
Test is not what child felt then or now, critical issue not child feeling uncomfortable. Issue is what the defendant intended…

If you decide defendant has engaged in various behaviors, must decide which acts committed to satisfy own sexual behavior. If he did not act out of sexual behavior, no crime, just poor judgment.

Must review each charge – was there criminal intent?

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yRE1Xahf

IMO, the showers, back cracking, etc all sexually excited Jerry. I hope the jurors remember that Costas interview. Sandusky's recollections were creepy.

mo

wm

Wonder how Dottie's holding up in her first day of court since the openings...? Can't wait for the details! (Sara Ganim will tell us!)

Jurors can work thru the weekend correct? If so i predict a verdict late Friday or Saturday. They have quite a bit to go thru. Assuming they get the case this aft. :moo:

I say-5 hrs for verdict!!!

Cleland asked them to consider the defense first, then the prosecution-- but, the defense was so weak and not directly applicable to the instances of abuse! They didn't really offer a defense that can be worked like that, so I think it's going to go super fast too.

I mean, it would be like this: Defense= Jerry is a nice man with lifelong friends.
Prosecution: sexual grooming in the car, swimming pool, shower, oral sex, anal rape. Hmmmmm, :waitasec: I guess he's ___________.

:cool:

Wonder how Dottie's holding up in her first day of court since the openings...? Can't wait for the details! (Sara Ganim will tell us!)

Prolly quietly planning her future as a single :maddening:

I think it might be longer than that SyraKelly. If I were a member of this jury I would want to compare each charge and the law with the evidence presented.

IMO this jury has a huge burden in this small town. I don't envy them one bit.

My prediction is Tues for verdict.

BTW, I wish for Jerry to be locked up for a long time.:jail: I'm just trying to look at it as a 'mock juror'.

moo

wm

From judge (continued:) As judges of facts, you are judges of credibility of witnesses, must judge each one’s truthfulness. Do you believe some, part or all?
What to consider: was witness able to see or hear or know what they testified to? How well could they remember? Did they testify in way that was convincing to you? How did they look? Did they appear confused? Was witness ever convicted of crime involving truthfulness? How well does testimony square with other evidence? Did witness have any interest in outcome of case – anything to gain or lose? Bias? Motive?
Finally, draw on your own experience, common sense.
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 7:55 AM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yRL3PFRH

I think the jury will get hung up on the notion of intent with regards to some of the lesser charges and things will take awhile. I say they deliberate through the the next couple of days and take their time to sift through things. They'll go back and forth, possibly concede on some of the lesser charges to get everyone onboard with the overall group decision and come back around noon Monday. Verdict? Guilty on most of the counts, not all.

She ought to be shopping condos in Florida-- she's a fool if she doesn't get out of dodge. :moo:

Agree. She needs to leave so the Community can heal. Who knows with the mindset we have seen. I believe she believes she has done nothing wrong. I dont believe she lived with that man and never had that gut feeling something wasn't right. As to what she "may" have witnessed and turned a blind eye she will answer that to a higher power :moo:

From judge: Counts 36 – 40, alleged victim #8, janitors in shower room. Hearsay statements of Mr. Calhoun. Statement of Mr. Calhoun is not sufficient standing alone to sustain conviction. Must have other evidence which satisfies you that crime has been committed.
Circumstantial evidence just as valid as direct (he gives an analogy about deer tracks in a yard).
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 7:58 AM

Regarding the alleged Victim #4 ...
Counts 16 & 17 dismissed - lack of evidence to sustain charge of Involuntary Deviate Sexual Intercourse.
Count 18 dismissed with prejudice. Was a repeat of Count 17.
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 7:57 AM

From judge (continued:) Character witnesses – Law recognizes person of good character not likely to commit crimes….good character testimony is enough to create reasonable doubt.
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 7:57 AM

From judge (continued:) Dr. Atkins and O’Brien – expert witnesses. Because they have special knowledge, may offer specialized opinions. But they are only opinions. You must weigh whether to accept the testimony.
Their testimony seemed to conflict – if you decide conflict is contradictory, may consider their credibility, etc.

Atkins testified of Histrionic Personality Disorder explaining love letters. If you believe he committed any acts, cannot use testimony to justify those acts. Even if you believe Sandusky suffers from HPD, may not use that as an excuse for not guilty verdict.
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 7:56 AM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yRLkk7Rb

I think Jean Carasez is a bit overly dramatic in her presentation. I always take what the legal comentators and run it through my own sense of things. I do know they attempt to be impartial in their analysis and when the evidence is piling up against the defendant, they want to show their fair-mindedness by their interpretations. I'm sure she could have argued the opposite with fervor.

In the end, with the jury as uell as us... it's our own common sense that counts.

well i agree totally. but she just repeated the conundrum they might face and they threw it to the legal guy. nobody ever said a word about how raping 8 boys isnt covered by this instruction. Jean just keeps focusing on Jerry's intent when he touched a knee, with a furrowed brow.

at least the legal guy said, lets turn to the evidnce.

Jean loves to jack up the drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member