Penn State Sandusky Trial #11 (Verdict - GUILTY!)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

How long will the jury deliberate?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd forgotten about that. No wonder he feels JS is being vilified by the media. :rolleyes:

Well, it was written last year, but holy cow! There is such a lack of good judgement there. Is this why he's bonded with Jerry? He did say he would always be in touch in one of his recent statements.

i don't know why the media is putting on so much stigma on the victims who potentially are looking for some sort of compensation.

Me neither. There's not enough money in the world to buy back a child's innocence.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I believe in PA it must be reported to the Department of Public Welfare versus higher up the chain in the educational institution.

I know it sounds hard to believe, but here is the relevant section of the Pennsylvania Code:

[SIZE=+1]§ 3490.13. [/SIZE]Reports by employes who are required reporters.

(a) Required reporters who work in an institution, school, facility or agency shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school, facility or agency or the person in charge’s designee of suspected abuse. The person in charge, or the designee, shall be responsible and have the obligation to make a report of the suspected child abuse to ChildLine immediately. Nothing in this chapter requires more than one report from any institution, school, facility or agency.

No he wasn't. He could not institute a police investigation any more than Schultz could order plays on the football field.

That is not say that Paterno couldn't have done some follow up, and put pressure on Schultz or Spanier to do more. I wish he was more decisive and had pressured them to investigate.

You want to give Paterno godlike powers, not only over the football program, but the university and Centre County government. A powerful figure, who was powerful because he raised money for the university, yes. In absolute control beyond the football program, no.

Does State College not have a police department separate from PSU's that Paterno could have reported the incident to?

Me neither. There's not enough money in the world to buy back a child's innocence.

Izzy, can I use your quote in my signature?

The problem is that sports is more important than academics. More important than individuals. The glorification of a game that makes it like a religion. A winning coach is revered. A long term winning coach is seen like the pope. He can do no wrong.

Joe P. was a human being with flaws. He was not perfect. He had a legacy for winning football games and winning teams. That doesn't make him a saint, though that's the broad brush he was painted with over the years.

Not quite. I've never seen say, Nick Saban or Les Miles or Pete Carroll when he was at USC painted as saints simply because they are winning football coaches.

Unlike those men and others, JP actively, with the collusion of the media, promoted himself as a saint in part because he was able to build a winning football team that was also squeaky clean, unlike all the other programs.

Now we know that it wasn't cleaner at all. The dirt was just better hidden to protect JP's saintly image.

Not only the Sandusky dirt, but players getting in trouble as well. That came out with Sandusky too.

I posted several quotes from the book back during the early days following Sandusky's arrest. Based on my reading, I did not get the impression Sandusky was molested by his father. He seemed very worshipful of his father. I recall he took his father's death very hard. As of yet, no abuse allegation pre-date the death of his father, which, I believe, was late 91. Perhaps Sandusky's respect for his father kept his sexual perversions in check. I'm certain Sandusky never wanted to disappoint him.

As for Sandusky's relationship with his mother, the picture is not as clear. He is more muted when discussing her. It may be significant to note that his mother set him up with Dottie. Did he marry his mother? I don't know. I think it's pretty clear he was not sexually attracted to women. He may have even been hostile to them, in partcular, to mothers since they were his rivals for the affections of the boys he desired.

JMO

BBM.

I need to clarify this again. I think it's pretty clear he wasn't into adults. What Sandusky did had nothing to do with being into the same sex. It had to do with torturing and dominating and manipulating someone weaker and smaller and defenseless.

1. "Suicide Watch" is automatically done for convicted felons with their first time in prison. It's standard policy to watch them for several days and doesn't mean the person is actually suicidal.

2. Sandusky will never get out of prison. NEVER! I don't care who got parole in some other state way back 30 years ago...in this case, with this felon, he will die in prison. You can count on that.

3. Any appeal will fail. Sure his attorneys will try. And they will fail.

4. A prison to house sex offenders is as much to keep them away from a general population than anything else. Prisons are under legal obligation to house prisoners in a secure and safe manner.

5. Sandusky is not going to admit his wrongdoing. And even if he did (which he won't), he will not get parole that will have him out of prison by his 80th Bday. That's ridiculous! He'll die in prison. He's 68 now. Even if he is eligible for parole in 30 years, that's 98 yrs old. You really think he'll still be alive at 98 in prison? Nyet.

God bless you. 100% agree!

Indeed. There's no way anyone reaches that age and doesn't know a man can do that to another man. And JP proved to the end that he wasn't senile, with his preemptive statement to try to save his own azz that he would retire at the end of the season, right before the university sacked him.

O/T I made a decision today to never to refer to him as JoePa again. I've read that was a nickname given to him affectionately as a father figure to PSU students, football players or not.

And he failed spectacularly to act as a father figure to Sandusky's victims.

So that nickname is IMO just another lie.

Except Sandusky never did "that" to another "man". He raped babies, little boys, adolescents. I think Paterno's use of the word "man" was an attempt to minimize what happened.

You could very well be right. Growing up in the enviroment that he grew up in places a child in a vulnerable position, especially an only child with no older siblings to look after them.

I'm still perlexed by the lack of victims prior to 92, when Sandusky was 58. We assume there more, but, as of yet, none have come forward.

He has the interpersonal skills of a 12 year old, so who else is he going to have sex with? It's a "what came first? the chicken or the egg?" argument. I don't believe in applying a textbook answer to the question of why an individual behaves in a certain way. We need to learn more about him and his past before we can say anything more definite.

I'm probably going to be offending everyone today but describing a pedophile as a just a big kid who is into little kids because that's simply his mental age, his peer group, is what apologists for pedophiles always say.

It is a misconception. Sandusky is NOT a little kid or mentally stunted or emotionally retarded. He is a cunning, sociopathic predator who manipulated his young victims and their families (you better believe he wasn't just a "big, goofy kid" when it came to the parents of these victims), and later used the same techniques to try to manipulate the public and the jury. That failed.

Being able to snow young children with the act of being the kindly father figure or fun "uncle" or big brother, and being able to snow potentially concerned adults around those victims with the facade of the noble man who cares about and wants to rescue the hurt, is part of the game for these sickos. It is a diabolical part of their act and they get off on it.

Sandusky's letters to his young victim did not display, IMO, the mindset of an emotionally immature person who feels on par mentally with his victim. They showed a frightening monster who knew how to push his victim's buttons and who was trying, desperately, to maintain his psychological hold, via techniques that worked before, such as guilt trips and reminders of what were supposed to be innocent, father-son memories that his victim so needed to have and would have treasured had they not been irrevocably destroyed through the reality of child rape.

Pedophile are not adults who never grew up. They are evil monsters who relish catching weaker, defenseless prey and slowly destroying that prey. Make no mistake about that.

No he wasn't. He could not institute a police investigation any more than Schultz could order plays on the football field.

That is not say that Paterno couldn't have done some follow up, and put pressure on Schultz or Spanier to do more. I wish he was more decisive and had pressured them to investigate.

You want to give Paterno godlike powers, not only over the football program, but the university and Centre County government. A powerful figure, who was powerful because he raised money for the university, yes. In absolute control beyond the football program, no.

I may be taking this out of context (sorry) but I don't think picking up the phone and calling the police is god-like powers.

Question, in additon to the moral responsibility, wasn't Paterno a mandatory reporter as defined in PA law?

One would think. And even if not, to me it;s not rocket science. You hear of possible child abuse occurring in your domain, you call the damn cops. THEN, you've done your job and can rest.

The truth is, IMO, they didn't want to get rid of Sandusky or risk his perversion being made public. Football was more important than small boys.:twocents:

Not quite. I've never seen say, Nick Saban or Les Miles or Pete Carroll when he was at USC painted as saints simply because they are winning football coaches.

Name one other coach who coached one college football team for 50 years? It was Paterno's longevity and winning record in combination that led to him being seen as special. Yes, he helped his image along for sure! He was the most famous person at that school and probably will remain, whether he should or not.

I may be taking this out of context (sorry) but I don't think picking up the phone and calling the police is god-like powers.

And say what? "I didn't witness anything, but ... " Had he walked in on Sandusky, that would be different.

One would think. And even if not, to me it;s not rocket science. You hear of possible child abuse occurring in your domain, you call the damn cops. THEN, you've done your job and can rest.

Neither Paterno nor McQueary were mandatory reporters to child services. I think they were required to report it to their superiors, which they did. Whether that was by statute or policy, I don't know.

Does State College not have a police department separate from PSU's that Paterno could have reported the incident to?

Yes and no. Yes there a State College Police Department, but no, my understanding is it is University Police's jurisdiction.

By policy or statute, I'm not sure which, the procedure was to report it to your superior, up to a certain level. I think that level was Curley.

Name one other coach who coached one college football team for 50 years? It was Paterno's longevity and winning record in combination that led to him being seen as special. Yes, he helped his image along for sure! He was the most famous person at that school and probably will remain, whether he should or not.

You forgot something; he raised big money for the school.

Part of the issue with Paterno is a multi-generational gap. This is not an excuse at all, but men in their 70's and 80's are often ignorant about understanding sexual abuse and then realizing it must be reported to police immediately. Again, this does not excuse Paterno, nor his chain of command AT.ALL. He should have known how seriously bad this was.

I'm sorry, but baloney. If that had been JP's own son or grandson in the shower, I doubt he would have hesitated to report it immediately.

And say what? "I didn't witness anything, but ... " Had he walked in on Sandusky, that would be different.

Neither Paterno nor McQueary were mandatory reporters to child services. I think they were required to report it to their superiors, which they did. Whether that was by statute or policy, I don't know.

"One of my coaches reports he saw another coach doing something sexual with a child in the locker rooms. I can't have anything like that happening here. I would like you to investigate."

"One of my coaches reports he saw another coach doing something sexual with a child in the locker rooms. I can't have anything like that happening here. I would like you to investigate."

They would have directed that to .... .... ... Gary Schultz.

He was being painted as a saint decades before the 50-year mark.

Bear Bryant coached Alabama for 25 years. Don't remember him being painted as a saint who could do no wrong.

At the pro level, Tom Landry. Coached for 29 years. Not considered a saint by any means.

Thanks wasn't enough. Exactly.

He was being painted as a saint decades before the 50-year mark.

Bear Bryant coached Alabama for 25 years. Don't remember him being painted as a saint who could do no wrong.

At the pro level, Tom Landry. Coached for 29 years. Not considered a saint by any means.
So what was the difference in these guys? Was football just that more important to this community???

This writer expresses my views way better than I can:

This is an icon, the most powerful man in his community, failing to follow up on a report of an unspeakable act beyond informing the equally unconcerned people above him on the organizational chart. ...

[snipped for length]

Children may have been molested because of that inaction. Those people -- now young adults -- don't get a do-over because Paterno went out on his lawn and asked everyone to say a prayer for them. They probably appreciate his statement Wednesday: "...

[snipped for length]

With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more." Guess what they would appreciate more: To have lived lives in which they were never molested.

(We'll pause here with a message for that vocal minority still blindly supporting Paterno while foisting blame for inaction on Curley, Schultz and Spanier. Legally speaking, Paterno did just enough. Morally speaking, he's in the same boat as they are.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...e-joe-paterno-legacy/index.html#ixzz1ykVslpOn

BBM

The writer goes on to say "this major lapse in judgment does not and should not erase all the good Paterno has done in his life."

With which I also agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member