PERU - Jesse Galganov, 22, Canadian, Huarez, 29 Sept 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know how his mom is keeping it together...:(

I understand his dad is there as well, I hope they can give each other some support through this nightmare.

His mother said that Amazon and Apple have released information requested by Peruvian police. It is hoped the information from Jesse Galganov's Kindle and iPhone will lead police to him. T-Mobile -- Galganov's service provider -- has yet to supply information requested by Peruvian police.

image.jpg

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mother...and-amazon-co-operating-with-police-1.3647422

Hostel manager of Kame House Backpackers speaks out (Oct 24)

http://www.thehuaraztelegraph.com/2...-investigation-orders-press-stop-speculating/

La Presse article (Oct 25)

<translated> T-Mobile, Jesse Galganov&#8217;s American cell phone provider revealed which local service his phone was last connected in Peru. Legal proceedings are under way in Peru for this local supplier to reveal to which antennas the last connections were made. "It's a very complex process. This information may help, but the most critical data is the one in his Apple account. We are doing everything we can to facilitate the process, "says Clamen.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2...=cyberpresse_meme_auteur_5141103_article_POS2

The Search for Jesse Galganov Continues (today, Oct 26)
Seven-minute phone interview with Jesse&#8217;s mother (audio on Peruvian end a little muffled).

http://www.nachumsegal.com/search-jesse-galganov-continues/

New information: Apple did give the data from his iCloud account directly to a member of the (US) State Department in encrypted form and was permitted to pass it along to Jesse&#8217;s mom but it is not openable, so they&#8217;ve asked the FBI to decrypt it.

Hostel owner originally said Jesse stayed there on 28[SUP]th[/SUP], left early on 29[SUP]th[/SUP], second interview said Jesse never came there, never stayed there. Digital info says Jesse was at hostel early morning of 28[SUP]th[/SUP] after getting off bus, nothing definitive as to whether he returned later that day and slept overnight.

Last communication from Jesse&#8217;s phone was early morning of 29[SUP]th[/SUP] but they don&#8217;t yet know location.

Was to hike Santa Cruz Trek from Cashapampa to Vaquería Sept 29 - Oct 2. Unconfirmed sightings in Caraz (town near Cashapampa).

Need helicopter and pilots with high altitude experience.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...s-prayer-event-for-montrealer-missing-in-peru
A Montreal synagogue is organizing a prayer event for Jesse Galganov, a 22-year-old Montrealer who has been missing in Peru since September.

Shaare Zion Congregation says it wants people to &#8220;join together in prayer and support.&#8221;

&#8220;We are gathering together to send a message of support to Jesse Galganov, his parents, family and friends on Sunday, Oct. 29 at 5 p.m.,&#8221; the synagogue said in a Facebook post on Thursday. &#8220;Let us hear good news soon.&#8221;

The synagogue is on Côte-St-Luc Rd., near Somerled Ave., in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce.
attachment.php

We are gathering together to send a message of support to Jesse Galganov, his parents, family and friends on Sunday October 29th at 5pm. Please share and spread the word. Let us hear good news soon

Attachments

• 22729021_973792752758658_2987781826595914331_n.jpg
    22729021_973792752758658_2987781826595914331_n.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 161
Such good news for Nathan today......please let there be the same for Jesse.

He seems like such a nice decent guy, he just wants to do this adventure before going to medical school....and vanishes who knows where..
II's just heartbreaking...

&#8220;Unfortunately, nothing concrete has come out yet,&#8221; his mother said Thursday.

Search parties are checking the trail where he was supposed to be hiking, as well as the nearby villages. Aircraft are also being used to scour the harsh terrain.

His mother said there is an ongoing criminal investigation at the hostel in Huaraz where Galganov was last seen. The owner of the hostel originally told police Galganov stayed there overnight, but later said he didn&#8217;t.

The files Apple has sent to police were encrypted and investigators have been unable to open them. She is now working with the FBI to find a way to get access to the information.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/explor...-continues-for-missing-montreal-man-1.3652068

Nov. 1 2017
[video=youtube;vd9zSDXt9nU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd9zSDXt9nU[/video]

http://www.chabad.org/news/article_...abbat-for-Medical-Student-Missing-in-Peru.htm
Many of Galganov&#8217;s friends will gather for the Friday-night meal at the Rohr Chabad Jewish Center at McGill University. For some, it will be a first, but they say they are excited to do something positive for their friend.

&#8220;I bumped into the son of a client of mine who does not observe Shabbat, and he and his friends heard about the projects, and they will be getting together for Jesse,&#8221; reports local resident Natalie Fyon.
In the heavily Jewish Montreal suburb of Côte St.-Luc, many people will gather after their meals at home for a communitywide Torah class at the the Beth Chabad community center.

Beyond Quebec, the movement has spread to the nearby Canadian province of Ontario, where Shabbat events are being held at Chabad on Campus centers in Waterloo, London and Ottawa. There is even a Shabbat for Galganov planned in Newfoundland, where Chabad just put down roots earlier this year.

Organizers report that events are also planned in the United States and beyond.

He arrived in Huarez at 6:19 am and it's a 10 minute walk to the hostel. The hostel check starts at 7 am so we know forsure he did not go straight to the hostel. From the pictures, it looks like there are only three bedrooms, with a total of 5 single beds and 1 double bed. I think it's important to find out if he reserved a shared or private room because he could have potentially met other people planning to hike or wanting to hike along with him. He could have met people and explained he was leaving the next day to hike on his own and his roommates may have decided to steal from him or something once he was out in the mountains. If he were abducted like some articles are saying, it would require more than one person since he seems quite strong.

https://youtu.be/n-Z8PL3a5DI?t=6960 This is a screenshot of a text Jesse sent to a friend saying "Ripping this 4 day solo on Friday." I think he sent this to his friend sometime before Thurs. Sept. 28 because he might be more likely to say "tomorrow" rather than saying "on Friday." So with this time frame in mind, he may have decided to go with a guided tour, but I don't believe he registered with one.

Alisa also said he texted her around 7am on Sept. 28 saying he would be unreachable for the next four days. Does that mean starting from that day or the next day on the 29th?

The Santa Cruz Trek also takes about 4 days and he had a return ticket for Oct. 2 (I'm not sure what time it was for) which means he would be very rushed for time. He may have decided to start on trek on the 28th to make sure he wouldn't miss his Oct. 2 ticket back.

I know that his friends and family say they stopped receiving texts from him on the 29th but does that mean his last text was on the 28th or the 29th? If he was still going according to his initial plan of doing it on his own and leaving on the 29th, it seems odd if he didn't text anyone in the morning before leaving saying something about starting the trek.

If he did go on his own, he would need the proper equipment like a tent, sleeping bag, water purifier, enough food etc. I doubt he would bring all of this with him from Lima so he could have been shopping for these things on the 28th and maybe encountered a dangerous situation during the day.

This hiking guide (http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/santa-cruz-trek-peru-a-guide-to-hiking-in-the-cordillera-blanca) says you should spend 1-2 nights (but they recommend 2) in Huarez to allow enough time to acclimatize to the high altitude. It also says to allow for another night once the hike is over because a lot of people regret going straight from a 4 day trek to a night bus. I've seen quite a bit of documentaries about Everest and although the altitude is much higher, nobody knows how their body will react to high altitude and it can come out of nowhere and the situation can become critical fairly quickly. It's possible he was hiking alone or during the night sometime and he started experiencing symptoms of cerebral edema, like an altered mental state, loss of consciousness, nausea, vomiting etc. and it's basically the brain swelling from high altitude. This mixed with a concussion seems very dangerous, especially if he's alone. Maybe he went off the trail a bit, being unfamiliar with the route and started experiencing something like this and didn't have a satellite radio to contact help.

In the Youtube video linked above, I think they say luminol was sprayed throughout the hostel and although it's been quite awhile since the 28th, there was no blood evidence. Many of the reviews say it's "dirty and smell" so it seems fairly unlikely they would have been able to clean up every trace evidence of blood if something happened in the hostel.

Another thing that is a bit confusing is the date on the missing person's report is Oct. 17 [video=twitter;921404841649426437]https://twitter.com/helpusfindjesse/status/921404841649426437[/video] but this article says "On October 14, Clamen filed a missing persons report, and then flew down to Peru on October 17 to aid in the search." http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5012189/Canadian-student-22-missing-nearly-month-Peru.html

Jesse is from the same city as me and I am constantly thinking and worrying about him and I cannot imagine what his friends and family are going through. I hope more information will surface asap and that his loved ones find out what happened to him.

I hadn't thought about the possibility he went on the hike and got into trouble, but that's a very important possibility to consider, since he was planning to go solo.

There's certainly theft in Peru, and in extreme cases someone might be killed during a robbery, but thieves have no reason to hide a body, it's unnecessary effort and expense.

"The US State Department's travel advisory about Peru says that robberies that turn violent have been on the rise.
'We have yet to find anyone who actually saw him,' his mother told Fox. 'He was at the entrance of the trail.'"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5055973/Canadian-hiker-vanished-Peru-missing.html

Another article has the same quote, but the author gave a bit more context: "“We have yet to find anyone who actually saw him,” his mother said of the day, and the days since then, her son appeared on the surveillance video. “He was at the entrance of the trail.”" http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/0...ackpacking-trip-no-contact-since-sept-28.html

It's weirdly worded and I'm not sure if this means they have surveillance video of Jesse on Sept 29 at the entrance of the Santa Cruz Trail or the author thought this is what was implied.

The article also says he did not register at the trail. I previously believed they meant he did not register with any guide companies, but I guess they are referring to some kind of fee or permit.

"There is a fee of 65 soles to enter the Huascaran National Park, which allows you to stay in the park for up to 21 days. It's essential to buy as there are two checkpoints along the route. When entering the park via collectivo/combi/minibus, the driver may or may not remember to stop at the park office and let extranjeros (foreigners) pay the fee and receive a ticket, so if you speak a little Spanish you might want to remind him."

"Arriving at the Llamacorral camp, at 3,750 meters, we dropped our backpacks and began setting up camp. Here, one of the rangers charged us the park fee of 65 soles."
https://www.travelsauro.com/santa-cruz-trek-budget-hiking-cordillera-blanca-peru/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/0...ackpacking-trip-no-contact-since-sept-28.html
US college grad disappears in Peru while on backpacking trip, no contact since Sept. 28
attachment.php

Jesse Galganov, 22, traveled to Peru on Sept. 24 and hasn't been heard from since Sept. 28. (Courtesy of Alisa Clamen)
Clamen told Fox News that she spoke to her son on Sept. 28, just before he boarded the bus to Huaraz. He told her he was likely to experience connection problems in the Andes Mountains, and assured her he would contact her as soon as he returned to Lima four days later, on Oct. 2
There is a $10,000 reward for information that could lead to answers about what may have happened, and Montreal businessman Mitch Garber, chairman of Cirque Du Soleil, has donated $100,000 for the search. Galganov and Garber’s son are good friends.

“We have yet to find anyone who actually saw him,” his mother said of the day, and the days since then, her son appeared on the surveillance video. “He was at the entrance of the trail.”

But he did not register at the trail, a routine step for people planning to trek it before they start their adventure.

Clamen said she is trying to hold her feelings of devastation at bay in order to have the energy and presence of mind to help in the search, and to press authorities to investigate with diligence what happened.

Attachments

• 1509989545489.jpg
    1509989545489.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 181
http://www.queensjournal.ca/story/2017-11-06/lifestyle/when-security-endangers-safety/
When security endangers safety

A look into the ethics behind Apple's privacy policy
November 7, 2017

web_1.jpg

Map of Huaraz, Peru where Galganov's location was last pinned.

According to his mother, Jesse Galganov used his iPhone to contact his loved ones every day, as most of us do. Now Galganov is missing, his mother is fighting for Apple and T-Mobile to tell authorities where and when he last used it and in this case, common sense appears to have been suspended.

CBC reports that on Sept. 28, the 22-year-old Galganov texted his mother, Alisa Clamen, from Peru, informing her of his plans to go on a four-day hike and that he would contact her again on Oct. 2. The Montrealer had landed in Lima on Sept. 24 to begin an eight-month-long backpacking trip through South America and Southeast Asia before beginning medical school in Philadelphia. But after Sept. 29, all communication from his phone stopped and nobody has heard from him since.
Travelling alone, Galgnaov shared his location with his mother through the Apple feature &#8220;Find my Friends.&#8221; According to the Montreal police report, the last location indicates Galganov was in Huaraz, 400 km north of Lima, at 4:53 p.m. on Sept. 28. His T-Mobile account, to which his mother has partial access, indicates the last time his iPhone connected to the Internet was at 4:52 a.m. on Sept. 29.

At press time, Peruvian authorities had received limited co-operation from Apple and T-Mobile. But further clues about Galganov&#8217;s movements and contacts around that time remain locked, despite his mother&#8217;s pleas.

To access another person&#8217;s &#8220;Find my iPhone&#8221; location, a 90-hour account recovery process is started, contingent on an international law enforcement agency&#8217;s request to release the information. On Oct. 15, Ms. Clamen contacted Apple through Interpol and the RCMP to initiate this process.

Apple has yet to respond to her request on the grounds that sharing Jesse&#8217;s information is considered a violation of his privacy.

I spread Jesse story's with several friends in the LA area this past weekend - hikers who have been to Peru actually. Keeping him in my thoughts and hoping for the best... IMO... I am leaning to a hiking accident now though...

Regardless, hope never hurts.

This is an article about Jesse written several years ago, he seems to be a remarkable young man, truly hoping that he is found, somehow safe and sound.
As previously suggested by another poster, could the concussion affect him now due to travel?

http://montrealmom.com/life/communi...ncussive-syndrome-from-a-curse-to-a-blessing/
[h=1]Meet Jesse-Turning Post Concussive Syndrome from a Curse to a Blessing[/h] written by Tanya Toledano November 27, 2012
Meet Jesse Galganov, a 17-year old, grade12 student at LCC.

On October 12th, Jesse was injured during an LCC football game and received a concussion. Suffering from post-concussve disorder, Jesse is unable to do all the things he should be doing now, most notably reading, studying and applying to university.

Many 17 year-olds would sink into a depression. Imagine working so hard towards the very goal of University admission and then being faced with the possibility of not being able to apply due to an injury. Imagine being one of the team captains and not being able to continue playing in your final year. That would be enough to make anyone sulk&#8230;

197004a9cacd50030237e9e5b70077d8-50a7cc8faafc2-hero.jpg
But not Jesse. Jesse decided to turn a negative into a positive. Rather than focusing on what he CAN&#8217;T do, Jesse has decided to focus on something he CAN do which is to &#8220;Grow his Mo&#8221;, and generate both funds and awareness for Movember to benefit research into prostate cancer.

As he put it:

&#8220;Now, blessed and cursed with &#8220;post concussion syndrome&#8221;, I have been able to use all of my (limited) energy and free time to do just that (raise money & awareness for Movember). Movember has allowed me to turn a negative thing into a positive one&#8230;&#8221;

The latest information says that they've been able to see from his telephone signal that Jesse, in fact, left Huaraz en route to Caraz like he had originally planned. It is there that he would have begun the Santa Cruz Trek that he had been planning on doing. Also, it was confirmed that he did not stay at the Kame House hostel in Huaraz, but instead stayed one night at the Casa Blanca Hotel as they have video footage of him leaving the following day from this location as well as his signature at the front desk.

It seems they are now searching the Santa Cruz Trek trail as there could be a possibility that he could have actually entered the trail. Apparently he had planned on arriving in Caraz and starting the trek immediately.

I was reading about the Trek and it is recommended that you wait one or two days in Caraz before beginning the Trek to acclimatize. So that's interesting.

http://www.thehuaraztelegraph.com/2...-went-caraz-santa-cruz-area-according-police/

Sounds like they're making progress!

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

The latest information says that they've been able to see from his telephone signal that Jesse, in fact, left Huaraz en route to Caraz like he had originally planned. It is there that he would have begun the Santa Cruz Trek that he had been planning on doing. Also, it was confirmed that he did not stay at the Kame House hostel in Huaraz, but instead stayed one night at the Casa Blanca Hotel as they have video footage of him leaving the following day from this location as well as his signature at the front desk.

It seems they are now searching the Santa Cruz Trek trail as there could be a possibility that he could have actually entered the trail. Apparently he had planned on arriving in Caraz and starting the trek immediately.

I was reading about the Trek and it is recommended that you wait one or two days in Caraz before beginning the Trek to acclimatize. So that's interesting.

http://www.thehuaraztelegraph.com/2...-went-caraz-santa-cruz-area-according-police/

Thank you for the update svarela128 and Welcome to WS!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back