PERU - Jesse Galganov, 22, Canadian, Huarez, 29 Sept 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...g-in-peru-says-he-may-have-been-abducted.html

Oct 23 2017
Clamen flew to Peru last week after deciding that something was seriously wrong. After not hearing from her son for nearly a month, she has posted a $10,000 (U.S.) award for any information that leads to her son being found.

She said she has been corresponding with Peruvian authorities since her arrival, who she said have been working flat out to try to locate her son.

“All of (the information) is leading to the conclusion that Jesse, somehow, was abducted,” said Clamen.

“It is really the only plausible theory at this point, because nobody really disappears into thin air.”
Clamen says that obtaining Galganov’s information from his iPhone, as well as his Kindle e-reader device will be critical in the investigation. However, she said that Apple, T-Mobile (Galganov’s service provider), and Amazon haven’t been co-operating with the investigation.
“Sometimes I feel like that, like I have to collapse, but I just can’t do that, because I need to find my son.”

For that reason, she says there’s no point in regretting her son’s trip, because it won’t help with the task at hand. She said Galganov, who had just been accepted to medical school, could not have planned this trip more meticulously.

Clamen said she knew and researched every detail of the trip with him, right down to the weight of each item in his backpack.

“I can’t let regret consume me, because it’ll break me.”

I wonder if he made it to the hostel, dropped off his big backpack, paid the money for his room that night and set out on an acclimatization day hike? If something happened on the day hike and he didn't show up back at the hostel, maybe hostel staff helped themselves to the contents of his pack and are now too embarrassed to fess up? Hence the ostensible duplicity...

Jesse's phone pinged from a cell tower at 4:18am the next day (29th, Friday). The hostel has WiFi ( https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Kame-House-Backpacker/Huaraz/279128 ) so if the phone was just updating apps at that time it probably wasn't at the hostel. moo

Just checking on any news

found this:

And, on his FB, someone commented under his mom's post, that a person in Huarez, who is helping, went to the hostel, and was told he never checked in.

don't like the conflicting stories......:(

I doubt the owner of the hostel wants to discuss the case with a random stranger, the rumours could destroy his business/livelihood. From Airbnb, it's a small, owner-run hostel. He would have to be very self-destructive to make a guest disappear. https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/18666579

I worry about the snapchat evidence, unless it was saved. People's memories are so unreliable weeks after the fact, especially if they're not familiar with the different places he was visiting, and are now in a panic to remember.

I wonder if he made it to the hostel, dropped off his big backpack, paid the money for his room that night and set out on an acclimatization day hike? If something happened on the day hike and he didn't show up back at the hostel, maybe hostel staff helped themselves to the contents of his pack and are now too embarrassed to fess up? Hence the ostensible duplicity...

Jesse's phone pinged from a cell tower at 4:18am the next day (29th, Friday). The hostel has WiFi ( https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Kame-House-Backpacker/Huaraz/279128 ) so if the phone was just updating apps at that time it probably wasn't at the hostel. moo

IIRC, he reserved ahead of time online, so he would have paid at that time, and would appear on the hostels books as having, paid regardless of whether he showed up.

from the link I posted last night: The lad from Montreal appears to have travelled using Cruz del Sur and this bus left Peru´s capital Lima at 21:30pm the previous day, which means that he should have arrived around 6am in Huaraz which makes a check-in 17 hours after arrival very odd. "

If the hostel check in time is correct,
Is it possible someone else used his identity to check in 17 hours after Jesse arrived in Huarez? Someone nefarious who absconded with his documents?
Trying to find an explanation for the time period.
Seems strange that he would not check in right away and deposit his back back...I don't know...

https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Kame-House-Backpacker/Huaraz/279128

"Cancellation policy: 48 hours before arrival. Check in from 07:00 to 23:00. Check out before 11:00. Payment upon arrival in cash."

I guess you book on-line and then pay cash when you get there? It makes sense that he planned to drop off his big backpack and pay at 7am. jmo

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/peru
[h=1]Peru[/h][h=1][/h][h=1][/h][h=1][/h] Last updated: October 16, 2017 15:21 ET

Still valid: October 23, 2017 17:34 ET

Latest updates: The Safety and security tab was updated - census.
[h=2]Risk level(s)[/h] [h=3]Peru - Exercise a high degree of caution[/h]There is no nationwide advisory in effect for Peru. However, you should exercise a high degree of caution to serious crime, as well as social conflicts and strikes that may occur across the country.

[h=3]Regional advisory - Avoid non-essential travel[/h]Global Affairs Canada advises against non-essential travel to the following areas due to terrorist and criminal activity:

• the districts of Kimbiri, Pichari and Vilcabamba in La Convención province in the department of Cuzco (the city of Cuzco and Machu Picchu are not affected)
  • Huallaga and Tocache provinces in the department of San Martín
  • the Upper Huallaga and Ene river valleys in the departments of Huánuco and San Martín
  • Padre Abad province in the department of Ucayali
  • Huacaybamba, Humalíes, Leoncio Prado and Marañón provinces in the department of Huánuco
  • Concepción and Satipo provinces in the department of Junín
  • Tayacaja province in the department of Huancavelica
  • the districts of Abancay, Andahuaylas and Chincheros in the department of Apurímac
  • Huanta and La Mar provinces, in the department of Ayacucho
See Safety and security for more information.

[h=3]Border area with Colombia - Avoid non-essential travel[/h]Global Affairs Canada advises against non-essential travel to areas within 20 km of the border with Colombia due to drug trafficking and occasional incursions by armed guerrilla forces from Colombia into Peru.

[h=3]Border area with Ecuador - Avoid non-essential travel[/h]Global Affairs Canada advises against non-essential travel to areas within 20 km of the border with Ecuador, especially in the Cordillera del Cóndor region, as landmines pose a safety threat. See Safety and security for more information

[h=4]Travel Health Notice - Zika virus[/h]

http://www.thehuaraztelegraph.com/2017/10/jesse-galganov-10-000-reward-tip-leads-finding/
rbbm.
attachment.php

Journalists of Peruvian broadcaster America TV travelled to Huaraz to find out more about the disappearance of the 22-year-old Jesse Galganov from Canada. The team of Cuarto Poder interviewed not only Alissa Clamen and Todd Galganov but also the administrator of Kame House; the hostel where Jesse ostensibly stayed one night on the 28[SUP]th[/SUP] of last month. During the broadcast on Sunday, the programme also showed footage of the video camera which shows Jesse leaving the Cruz del Sur bus station.
Mother Alsisa was able to identify her son on the surveillance camera footage. The footage confirms the arrival of Jesse to the city of Huaraz and shows the youngster talking with a tout outside the bus station. Jesse leaves the terminal at around 06:19am carrying his backpack when he is offered probably some tours or tourism services by an unidentified tout. Jesse shows no interest and continues walking on Jirón Simón Bolívar towards the direction of Kame House which is only five blocks away; a mere 10 minutes walking distance. Half a block away, Jesse reviews his cell phone, probably to check whether he´s going into the right direction. On a second video camera, Jesse is seen walking past the Parque Internacional where he is almost attacked by a stray dog. This is where Jesse is less than half a block away from Kame House. As the camera doesn’t follow Jesse´s direction, this is the last recorded footage of the Canadian traveller.

Attachments

• thumb.php.jpg
    thumb.php.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 169
his mother has such a positive outlook - she is working to find her son and staying positive. I hope she gets answers soon and Jesse is safe somewhere...

Huarez to Lima is about 250 miles to the South.

So his phone pinged in Lima later on the same day he had checked into that hostel in Huarez, do I understand that correctly?

Didn't Jesse send a snapchat from the hostel? Was that on the 28th. or morning of the 29th?

.. and what time it was when his phone was active 250 miles away.

Doesn't sound good at all.....:(

He just came from Lima on the bus, was planning to be in Huaraz on the 28th and then head out on the 29th for a 4 day hike north of Huaraz (opposite direction from Lima).

I don't know if his phone *pinged* back in Lima per se, because that would information obtained from his cell phone provider T-Mobile, who apparently aren't forthcoming with that data at the moment. Apple might be able to say whether and where Apps were updated or active though. Just a guess on the ping stuff, I'm a techno-eejit.

He sent a Snapchat to a friend on the 28th showing him at the hostel, but the news article didn't say whether he was inside the building or outside.

Maybe Jesse just walked by the hostel to get his hearings and headed out for a day hike, planning to check in later? He would arrived at the hostel before they open at 7am so maybe he just kept going?

Wondering if there are any coffee houses near the hostel and if so, did Jesse head to one before or after stopping in at the hostel, if indeed he did go there?
speculation, imo.
https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=21169
rbbm
Peru 2017 Crime & Safety Report
Armed robberies, assaults, express kidnappings, carjackings, burglaries, and petty theft are common in Lima. While gratuitous violence committed against foreigners is infrequent, assaults and robberies involving violence have been increasing over the last several years. According to the Peruvian National Police, 157,786 documented robberies occurred in 2016. The number of murders in Peru increased from 1,533 in 2015 to 1,914 in 2016.
U.S. and foreign visitors are often perceived as relatively wealthy and may be targeted for their valuables. Counterfeit currency is a serious concern; travelers should exchange currency through hotels and banks rather than through the numerous money-changers that operate along city streets
Incidents involving incapacitating agents have been reported in the Lima area. Criminals debilitate the victim with a drug to facilitate theft/sexually assault. It is advised to purchase one’s own drink and never leave it unattended. If for any reason the beverage is left unattended, drinking it is strongly discouraged

Additionally, travelers should exercise caution when withdrawing money from ATMs. Criminals have been known to stake out banks, and after identifying an individual who has withdrawn cash, either immediately assault them or follow them to another location before committing the robbery. There have been instances of ATM card cloning, where thieves make a copy of an ATM card and withdraw cash from that person’s account.

Galganov is a dual citizen of the U.S. and Canada; his mother filed a missing person’s report on Oct. 14 with the U.S. State Department. Galganov, who was slated to go to medical school next year, was staying at the Kame House, a backpackers' hostel in Huaraz, before he vanished. Conflicting reports from the hostel’s employees led authorities to open a criminal investigation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...cker-possibly-abducted-peru-article-1.3584083

In a statement to Global News, Apple said, “As we do with emergency requests from law enforcement, we have immediately responded to legal requests for information from U.S., Canadian and Peruvian authorities in this case.”

“We don’t have location information on our partner networks when customers are roaming, but will certainly provide anything else we can to help,” T-Mobile said in a statement provided to Global News.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3820758/jesse-galganov-missing-geolocation-data/

Hopefully phone location information will be forthcoming from Apple today. I don't really understand why T-Mobile can't get the tower ping information from the Peruvian carrier they contract to provide their signal service.

45A1CAA500000578-5012189-image-a-5_1508850181790.jpg

45A1CAB500000578-5012189-image-m-4_1508850165559.jpg

45A21ADA00000578-5012189-image-a-25_1508850685842.jpg

Galganov was last seen at the Kame House hostel in Huaraz (pictured) on September 28. The owner of the hostel at first said Galganov checked in, but later changed his story and said he did not when he was questioned by police.

The investigation into Galganov's disappearance appears to be centered on the hostel where he stayed in Huaraz, Kame House.

Authorities know that he stayed there because he Snapchatted a friend from the hostel before his disappearance. Other employees at the hostel also gave various reports of when he arrived and left the hostel. The hostel is now under investigation by the local District Attorney's office.

Authorities also know that Galgavnov did not show up for his bus back to Lima on October 2, or use his ticket for an October 5 flight to Bolivia.

Clamen's mother is now focused on pressuring Apple, Amazon and T-Mobile to give up information on her son's cellphone and Kindle e-reader in hopes that geo-locating technology will help track him down. Clamen says they have not been cooperating.

Clamen is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to her son being found. She has plastered about 500 flyers in the country about her son's disappearance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-missing-nearly-month-Peru.html#ixzz4wRlYibwz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AgentA
Back