Peru - Stephany Flores, 21, murdered in Lima hotel room, 30 May 2010 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the extortion attempt, the consensus on either JVM or NG (I can't remember which, sorry) was that it was a "sting", JVDS was set-up. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy JMHO.(read sarcasm here)

Hi Jmarple, I went back and pulled this link from pp #1 cause I've had a hard time understanding it too:

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wbrc/docs/VANDERSLOOTCOMPLAINT.pdf

The trigger point I see that fits in this case now:

* Sending money via a money-wire transfer internationally seems to be against the law when only a promise for something to be traded back for it is given.

Anyone else see how it actually was that the law was broken? I think it is a weak possibility, but then I don't know all about it either. LOL

Hi Jmarple, I went back and pulled this link from pp #1 cause I've had a hard time understanding it too:

* Sending money via a money-wire transfer internationally seems to be against the law when only a promise for something to be traded back for it is given.

Anyone else see how it actually was that the law was broken? I think it is a weak possibility, but then I don't know all about it either. LOL

The best example I have heard so far is think of the David Letterman extortion.

Me too Panthera. Do you think he will walk willingly across the line or will he need a big push?

I wonder if the news media will be there filming Joran walking across the border? This story is big and I suspect they'll be there.

Time of death - 8:30am and what times were given for Joran going out for coffee? TIA

I think the time given for Joran leaving the hotel is 8:00am. Stephany could have been mortally wounded, unconscious, but not deceased when Joran left.

The extortion that I see here is obtaining money through trickery or through the use of a device that would cause the person extorted to experience severe emotional distress.

Have we heard if the rucksack and suitcase has been recovered? If the scene was bloody-I'm sure Joran's clothes were too! He may not have had time to dispose of them and was still carrying them with him!:waitasec:
Hopefully, another link in his chains!!:furious:

I'm very curious about whether or not Joran's luggage was recovered too.

I mentioned this in the previous thread............In 2006, after murdering his ex-wife by brutally stabbing her and almost decapitating her, Reno, Nevada businessman, Darren Mack, escaped Reno in a rental car and drove south into Mexico. He was arrested 12 days later at a resort in Cabo San Lucas, and his luggage contained his bloody shoes and a pair of blood splattered jeans. Extradited, convicted, and now serving life without parole in Nevada.

Hopefully, incriminating evidence will be found in Joran's luggage, if the authorities recovered his belongings.

The extortion that I see here is obtaining money through trickery or through the use of a device that would cause the person extorted to experience severe emotional distress.

Ahhh ! What confused me is it is highly likely he could tell them how she died and where she was put. That doesn't matter then, and would be extorting the family because it would cause them severe emotional distress to know about it.

Thanks. I think I get your point now.

The thing is - None of these officials have psychic powers. If this horrible tragedy of the murder of Stephany Rameriz had never happened and Joran had played this poker tournament in Peru as he planned and lost all his money....AGAIN.... It is likely that he would have contacted them again for the balance of the $250,000. IF it had worked out that way and he would have made his way to the U.S., he would have been arrested on American soil. Instead of the criticism, the FBI and AL U.S. Atty. would have been praised from the rooftops for their skills in getting him on U.S. charges...IN THE U.S. this time. They would have been heralded for their smarts.

Sadly, it did not happen that way. I feel horrible for everyone involved. Even the FBI and AL U.S. Atty. You know what they say about hindsight..... No one had any way of knowing he would use that $15,000 to go on another murder excursion in South America.

Great post. They put together a case against him that could have put him away for a considerable amount of time, and possibly have saved someone's life. They have been building this case for awhile, and they came forward with the charges now because it added a second layer of him not being given back to Aruba. If for any reason Peru did not come for him, we were saying we have this case and we want him sent here.

Obviously it would have been nice if they had felt they were far enough in the case and his whereabouts were known to be in a location that would pick him up and send him to us for such a charge prior to this poor girl being killed but I cannot understand the criticism to the FBI at all personally.

OK, I found a link that says they will leave Santiago with Joran at 8am tomoz and will fly him up to Arica:

http://www.livinginperu.com/news-12362-breaking-news-chile-decides-expel-joran-van-der-sloot-peru-prepares-arrest-him

Snippet
" . . . . Van der Sloot, who is also related to the disappearance of US citizen Natalee Holloway in Aruba, will leave at 8:00 a.m. and will be sent by plane to Arica,.

Once in Arica, he will be moved to the border with Peru, where he will arrested by Peru police, reports Chilean daily La Tercera."

xox

how can they determine an exact time of death? that seems almost impossible

The first time of death that was announced very soon after the discovery of her body was 8:00 a.m. That was incredibly fast. Now, apparently, it has been changed to 8:30?

So much info floating around. I read that they arrived at his hotel around 5 a.m., and that he left the hotel at 8 a.m., and came back at 8:40 a.m. with two cups of coffee, and that he left the hotel for good at 9 a.m.

If LE plays their cards close to their chest, I will just go insane! All of us will, lol. I pray they will give out some reliable information.

For those who thought Joran was smirking when he got out of LE car after being arrested, I'd like to know what you think about his expression at 14-15 seconds into this video:

http://elcomercio.pe/noticia/489302/vea-como-fue-captura-holandes-joran-van-der-sloot-chile

The "smirk" photo came from later on in this video, I believe, but it was much more than a smirk at 14-15 secs.

Thanks, scandi, knowing that Joran is on his way to justice is sweet beyond words for me.

I'm very curious about whether or not Joran's luggage was recovered too.

I mentioned this in the previous thread............In 2006, after murdering his ex-wife by brutally stabbing her and almost decapitating her, Reno, Nevada businessman, Darren Mack, escaped Reno in a rental car and drove south into Mexico. He was arrested 12 days later at a resort in Cabo San Lucas, and his luggage contained his bloody shoes and a pair of blood splattered jeans. Extradited, convicted, and now serving life without parole in Nevada.

Hopefully, incriminating evidence will be found in Joran's luggage, if the authorities recovered his belongings.

Hi Leila.

I read or heard that he was travelling with two suitcases while in the 'getaway' cab.

Great post. They put together a case against him that could have put him away for a considerable amount of time, and possibly have saved someone's life. They have been building this case for awhile, and they came forward with the charges now because it added a second layer of him not being given back to Aruba. If for any reason Peru did not come for him, we were saying we have this case and we want him sent here.

Obviously it would have been nice if they had felt they were far enough in the case and his whereabouts were known to be in a location that would pick him up and send him to us for such a charge prior to this poor girl being killed but I cannot understand the criticism to the FBI at all personally.

Hi Impatieneredhead, I haven't heard it is an international warrant for Joran out of Alabama. I think it is a warrant that has to be served to him on American soil.

I also read that the extort is valid as it was against a US citizen, living on USA soil and was instigated in the USA as well I guess that is because the money was sent from an American bank out of the country. IMO, makes sense to me.

Wasn't sure if anyone had posted this already, but it's an "exclusive" interview with Jug Twitty, Natalee's stepfather.

http://www.cbs42.com/content/localnews/story/Exclusive-interview-Jug-Twitty/Vp7af3v-ykaT6VJjG9tGxQ.cspx

Thank you for the link to the Jug Twitty interview. I live in Birmingham,but did not see the interview. I thought Jug was well-spoken,and once again he voiced regret that he did not look in the trunk of Joran's car the first night that he and Beth got to Aruba. On an aside, I noticed a picture of Beth and Natalee in the background,and that Jug spoke in present tense about Beth, and wondered if they are together again. I followed Natalee's case very closely, and remember the sadness I felt about the divorce because Beth had lost so much because of a sociopath. Not that it matters,but if they were together now,or at least close friends it would be a small victory in the face of all that was lost at the hands of Van der Sloot.

Thanks, scandi, knowing that Joran is on his way to justice is sweet beyond words for me.

You bet 'cha Lynx. Now I'm going to see how the time zones are in Peru/US.

It is 1am in Lima, Peru right now which is the same as our Central Standard time. Just to give us a bearing. So if they leave Santiago at 8am that would be 10am in CST. It might take an hour and a half to fly there and drive up to the border from Arica, so I'm guessing it will be around 11:30 CST when Joran steps into Peru. Just a rough guess. xox

Thanks Beach2yall. I thought Jug had married again right after the divorce, but I always had the impression that divorce would never had happened but for the tragedy of Natalee's disappearance in Aruba. He certainly respects and admires her, and remains very supportive. I am sure it has not been easy for him either.

As for Stephany's family I must say they have displayed great class in the face of tragedy also. But this time, Joran is on someone else's turf,and the prominent people are related to his victim, not to him. And, he has absolutely no pull whatsoever with the Peruvian court system, unlike the situation in Aruba. If I remember correctlym the chief of police at the time of Natalee's disappearance,VanderStratten, was Joran's godfather. This time,any godparents, or friends of the family belong to Stephany. Karma has arrived for Joran,though I fear he may not get to use that "porta-potty" hole in the ground plumbing in the Peru prison for too long before he becomes a victim of the other prisoners.

Karma has arrived for Joran,though I fear he may not get to use that "porta-potty" hole in the ground plumbing in the Peru prison for too long before he becomes a victim of the other prisoners.

This is what is so interesting about Joran's arrest in Peru!! Most of us have no idea what the court system is like there let alone the actual prisons It's going to be a learning experience for many of us. Hang on to your hat!!

The code charged specifies "Interference with commerce by threats or violence".

1951(a) reads as follows: "Whoever in any way or degree obstructs, delays, or affects commerce or the movement of any article or commodity in commerce, by robbery or extortion or attempts or conspires so to do, or commits or threatens physical violence to any person or property in furtherance of a plan or purpose to do anything in violation of this section shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove