Peru - Stephany Flores, 21, murdered in Lima hotel room, 30 May 2010 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What baffles me is the fact that Joran 'forgot' to pay for the two days owing in rent before he left for good. If he was to carry out her body in the duffelbag like it was reported but he was afraid that the girl at the reception would have stopped him and ask for the money.
IF he robbed Stephany of all her winnings & cash, would he not have enough money to pay for the two days so he wouldn't get questioned.

I am anxiously waiting to see the missing parts of the videos and what he did or didn't transport to and from his hotelroom during the 'coffeerun'

It seems that Joran tells one lie after another...He cannot tell the truth...If he robbed Stephany, he WOULD have had enough to pay his back rent due...But IMO...he is not going to let the officials know he DID rob her and could have paid his money owed for the room...But I believe the officials knew he robbed her...Her wallet was empty...He had some currency on him when they examined his belongings...CANNOT FIND LINK...

I believe we will eventually see the "missing video,and other evidence they have collected from him and hotel...

Whether she was looking at his computer, asleep and he robbed her, she hit him first...etc.....HE KILLED THE WOMAN......He's going to rot in Peru's prison.

Hi, I've not posted before but I'm a long time lurker! I just wondered has anyone else seen the cover of the National Enquirer? It has a crime scene photo on the cover!

Oh dear! Fortunately I haven't seen it. WELCOME to the fray! :)

Colombian intelligence agency DAS ruled out a report that linked Dutchman Johan Van der Sloot, who arrested on Thursday for the murder of a 21 year-old Peruvian girl, with the disappearance of two young girls in Bogota.

A DAS official told W Radio Wednesday morning that their records indicate that Van der Sloot was indeed in Colombia, but that he was merely in transit to his final destination of Lima, Peru, and never left Bogota's El Dorado airport.

http://colombiareports.com/colombia...tchmans-role-in-colombians-disappearance.html

Bringing this over for the question from 2curious. Thanks to krowdkat.

Has anyone heard anymore about the 2 missing girls in Colombia? Last night I heard that this could be related to van der Sloot also. I have read through this thead and couldn't find anything new on this.
I did find this:

Police in Colombia are investigating whether Dutch national Johan van der Sloot was involved in the disappearance of two girls in Bogotá
http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/colombia-police-investigate-van-der-sloot-over-missing-girls
Supposedly not true.

Has anyone heard anymore about the 2 missing girls in Colombia? Last night I heard that this could be related to van der Sloot also. I have read through this thead and couldn't find anything new on this.
I did find this:

Police in Colombia are investigating whether Dutch national Johan van der Sloot was involved in the disappearance of two girls in Bogotá
http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/colombia-police-investigate-van-der-sloot-over-missing-girls

I think that story is being scrubbed because I think they concluded that he was waiting at the airport in Bogota and never left the airport. But tomorrow we may hear different.

PERHAPS IT WAS JORAN WHO WAS DOING THE INTERNET SEARCHES BECAUSE HE IS A NARCISSIST WHO LOVES ATTENTION AND HE KNEW IT WAS THE 30th OF MAY AND THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN NEWS UPDATES ABOUT HIS CASE? ESPECIALLY SINCE HE WAS EXTORING MONEY FROM BETH?

1. Okay I have difficulty believing that Stephany would actually search Joran's name on his own computer. She looked quite timid walking behind him in the hotel, not looking as someone who would walk into your hotel room and search your name. Besides did she know his last name to search him? How many of us introduce ourselves to acquantainces with our first and last name? And why would she search his name after she was already in the room with him? If she was going to do that, wouldn't she do it before going into the room with him? Or after he went home? And wouldn't she have enough time to close a silly webpage hearing him unlocking the door upon his return? If she was doing something she knew she shouldn't be doing probably she would have enough time to close the page before he even entered the room and say something silly as I wanted to check my email.

2. Also for me it is a BIG of ''coincidence'' that both incidents happened on the same date. I don't believe he was upset and he lost it again because of the anniversary. I think it is more possible that exactly because of the anniversary he was googling himself for any updates on the Holloway case, especially since he was now extorting money from Beth. I have this suspicion that perhaps he was googling himself earlier in the date, left the webpages open, just closed the laptop and perhaps Stephany opened it to write an email, check her facebook or whatever waiting for him to come back. If it is true that there is a hint of true in every lie, I think this is more plausible.

I totally agree and another thing we need to keep in mind is that the FBI, DEA and other LE agencies seize millions of $$ each year from criminals. This is where a lot of the money that is used to conduct all types of sting/undercover/LE operations comes from, so its not necessarily (or IMO usually) $$ that should have been used for some other purpose or was ever earmarked/budgeted for other uses. Unfortunately, the nature of the beast when dealing with criminals requires LE to sometimes, at least appear, to operate just like the criminals themselves. We may not like the idea of this, but it is what it is.

Also, I've never been a judge like our esteemed colleague SoCalSleuth, but I am a regular old run of the mill attorney who in theory at least has substantial legal knowledge and would like to follow up on cases where the FBI has jurisdiction. Now, SoCalSleuth, certainly correct me if I am wrong in this post or in any post actually, but what establishes the FBI's jurisdiction in a case isn't just 1 thing, it is a combination of several things including geographical location, the alleged crime commited, the alleged parties involved in the crime and in cases where its a financial crime, there will be a minimum $$ amount that must be met before the FBI becomes involved. That's a super oversimplification (I wish civ pro was that simple), but I think its an important thing to understand.

You are essentially correct. And yes, I agree that Civ Pro (and Crim Pro) are not simple subjects--that is why our offices are lined with all those leather bound books! There is no question that the FBI had no jurisdiction whatsoever to arrest Joran in Aruba for the crimes charged. No way, no how, could not do it. I think what everyone is also failing to understand is that the FBI is merely an investigative agency. They did not file the criminal complaint and they have no ability to do so. They do not prosecute cases and they have no ability to do so. They investigate and turn the results over to the US Attorney's office whose lawyers then decided whether or not there is enough evidence to prosecute. If the sting went down on May 10th--I don't care how much or what evidence the FBI had--there is no way the US Attorney's office would have had the time to receive all of the information, confirm the investigative results, confirm chain-of-custody-determine the offense occurred and was prosecutable, etc. on that day or by the time Joran left Aruba.

BBM - This is the first time I've read/heard this:

After Flores and he awoke early on May 30, van der Sloot said that he went out to get coffee and rolls. When he returned, he said Flores was using his laptop. Van der Sloot, according to police sources, said Flores had pulled up information relating to his alleged involvement in the case of Natalee Holloway, a young American who went missing in Aruba in 2005. Van der Sloot, who had been the prime suspect in the Holloway case, said Flores' snooping sent him into a rage. "It was an invasion of my privacy. She had no right," he allegedly told the investigating officers. He said they fought and he beat her repeatedly, breaking her neck.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1995435,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

I hope this sick excuse for a man doesn't get off easy! It angers me to see his mom trying to help him out AGAIN! I remember following Natalie's case and reading Beth's book on the whole ordeal and this just seems like dejavu! Even the Aruban government took extensive measures to cover for him then. I pray that there is no way that any outside government can get him out of peru, I pray that he has to stay there and answer to their laws!

I have been waiting for this for days.

Some news accounts have suggested that the FBI provided $25,000.00 in funds that were transmitted to van der Sloot. This is incorrect. The funds involved were private funds.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20007285-504083.html

The FBI official adds that the Arubans couldn't stop him from leaving the country, and neither could the FBI because "it's not our country and he isn't a US citizen."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20007271-504083.html

Yeah, makes no sense to me since he planning to leave anyway. Besides the girl at the reception does not have x ray eyes and would not know if he left with or without Stephany in the duffelbag.

I'm thinking she was too large to fit in the duffelbag and he had no other choice but to leave the body behind. He would have had a very difficult time carrying a duffelbag with one hand or two hands out of there due to the dead weight of the victim.

BBM - This is the first time I've read/heard this:

After Flores and he awoke early on May 30, van der Sloot said that he went out to get coffee and rolls. When he returned, he said Flores was using his laptop. Van der Sloot, according to police sources, said Flores had pulled up information relating to his alleged involvement in the case of Natalee Holloway, a young American who went missing in Aruba in 2005. Van der Sloot, who had been the prime suspect in the Holloway case, said Flores' snooping sent him into a rage. "It was an invasion of my privacy. She had no right," he allegedly told the investigating officers. He said they fought and he beat her repeatedly, breaking her neck.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1995435,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

He COULD have asked her to just leave....at that point...

she would probably have been GLAD to leave....

It has not ceased to amaze me....WHY NO ONE..heard her screaming while she was being beaten?????

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100608/D9G743I82.html

snipped
"A fixture on true crime shows and in tabloids after Holloway's disappearance, he gained a reputation for lying - even admitting a penchant for it - and also exhibited a volatile temper. In one Dutch television interview he threw a glass of wine in a reporter's eyes. In another, he smashed a glass of water against a wall in a fury.

Bolded by me. I've not heard anything about a glass of water. Is there a video on that as there is on the wine that he threw on the reporter?

Saw the video here of the wine throwing incident... wow. Very disturbing. I'm sure it was a YouTube link. Heard about the throwing of the glass incident but haven't seen video of it... that's another one I'd like to see.

I don't know... there was something about his demeaner when he threw that glass of wine at the reporter and even how he was afterward about it while the poor guy is suffering with major stinging eyes that just really for the first time made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up about Joran. I can't even really put my finger on why I found it so disturbing. Maybe it was like a tiny little glimpse into whatever goes on in his mind. It bothered me so much more for some reason than any of the photos with that smirk of his.

PERHAPS IT WAS JORAN WHO WAS DOING THE INTERNET SEARCHES BECAUSE HE IS A NARCISSIST WHO LOVES ATTENTION AND HE KNEW IT WAS THE 30th OF MAY AND THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN NEWS UPDATES ABOUT HIS CASE? ESPECIALLY SINCE HE WAS EXTORING MONEY FROM BETH?

1. Okay I have difficulty believing that Stephany would actually search Joran's name on his own computer. She looked quite timid walking behind him in the hotel, not looking as someone who would walk into your hotel room and search your name. Besides did she know his last name to search him? How many of us introduce ourselves to acquantainces with our first and last name? And why would she search his name after she was already in the room with him? If she was going to do that, wouldn't she do it before going into the room with him? Or after he went home? And wouldn't she have enough time to close a silly webpage hearing him unlocking the door upon his return? If she was doing something she knew she shouldn't be doing probably she would have enough time to close the page before he even entered the room and say something silly as I wanted to check my email.

2. Also for me it is a BIG of ''coincidence'' that both incidents happened on the same date. I don't believe he was upset and he lost it again because of the anniversary. I think it is more possible that exactly because of the anniversary he was googling himself for any updates on the Holloway case, especially since he was now extorting money from Beth. I have this suspicion that perhaps he was googling himself earlier in the date, left the webpages open, just closed the laptop and perhaps Stephany opened it to write an email, check her facebook or whatever waiting for him to come back. If it is true that there is a hint of true in every lie, I think this is more plausible.

BBM
Your post makes sense. Clicking thanks wasn't enough, so thank you for typing out what I have been thinking !

It infuriates me that our tax dollars were used to fund this moron's trip to Peru which in turn caused Stephany's death. I am pissed about this. I'm sorry but why is NH's death since 5 years ago a 25k expense? There are tons of missing children, women and some men in this country. How much hard cash is used to find them? What makes her case so special? I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this. I feel for Beth Twitty but there are kids like Adji and Haylee missing. This type of money has not been spent on them. I know as a minority woman if I went missing the FBI would not spend 25 bucks on me. I hope this method of doing business stops. It literally caused the death of another!!!!

I believe that another sleuther previously posted that the money given to JVDS didn't come from tax dollars, it would have come from funds confiscated by the FBI in other cases.

Still, I see your point! They could use these tremendous amounts of money to help find missing children instead of giving it to people who will misuse it (to put it mildly), like JVDS.

He COULD have asked her to just leave....at that point...

she would probably have been GLAD to leave....

It has not ceased to amaze me....WHY NO ONE..heard her screaming while she was being beaten?????

Perhaps...he wasn't angry about the supposedly invasion of his privacy but because he was angry that he lost his gold ticket? If he was so desperate for money and he thought he could scum her somehow for money, her finding out who he was he knew there was no chance to do that anymore? If his story is the truth of course.

As for the not being heard screaming I am curious too. Perhaps toxicology exams will tell us more, whether she was in a position to scream. If she was given any kind of drugs it definitely changes his story about her looking on the computer. Or how many people where living in the hotel at the time, next room, room downstairs, etc.

There is no possible way to know the exact time of death forensically. Even in the best of circumstances and a liver temperature taken very soon after death it is simply not possible to be more accurate than a time frame window of a couple of hours or so. Considering that Stephany was not found until days later the most accurate time frame of death would have to have been figured out by the time she was last heard alive in the room (argument had allegedly occurred) and the time Joran left the hotel to begin his run from the police.

Not the exact time of death, but about a 10 or 15 minute window.

He didn't leave the room wearing clothes that he killed Natalee in. Using the surveillance footage, they know it was around 30 minutes that he entered the room with his old clothes, and then left the room for good in the new, with the bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop