Pete Rose has died at 83

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I, too, had always hoped they would let Pete in the HOF. Give him an asterisk or something, like they did with Bonds. I saw Pete signing autographs outside the HOF in Cooperstown when Bill Mazeroski was inducted. I wish I had been able to wait in the line and get one, but I did not.

At a luncheon back in the day, I publicly challenged local sportscaster Stan Savran, (now deceased) who spoke at the luncheon and was vehement that Pete shouldn’t be admitted. As I was driving out of the parking lot, I saw Stan and pulled up next to him to thank him for engaging with me on the topic. Stan laughed and said, ‘I thought you were driving towards me to run me over, for Pete’s sake’. We shared a laugh, but Stan was right, I had been fuming about it.

Rest in peace, Pete.
You are a legend.

jmo

For fans who came of age in the 1960s and '70s, no player was more exciting than the Cincinnati Reds ' No. 14, "Charlie Hustle," the brash superstar with the shaggy hair, puggish nose and muscular forearms. At the dawn of artificial surfaces, divisional play and free agency, Rose was old school, a conscious throwback to baseball's early days. Millions could never forget him crouched and scowling at the plate, running full speed to first even after drawing a walk or sprinting for the next base and diving headfirst into the bag.

A 17-time All-Star, the switch-hitting Rose played on three World Series winners. He was the National League MVP in 1973 and World Series MVP two years later. He holds the major league record for games played (3,562) and plate appearances (15,890) and the NL record for the longest hitting streak (44). He was the leadoff man for one of baseball's most formidable lineups with the Reds' championship teams of 1975 and 1976, with teammates that included Hall of Famers Johnny Bench, Tony Perez and Joe Morgan.

My parents were both huge baseball fans, and we attended many Reds games in the 70s. It was one of our favorite family activities from the time I was 6 or 7 years old.

I’ve got a couple of baseballs autographed by every member of the Big Red Machine.
As do I, for the Phillies.
Proud owner of a1980 team signed ball.
Rest easy, Charlie Hustle.
Say hi to Tug.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members