Police find suspect Steven Stephens in Facebook Live homicide dead in Erie PA

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
he probably shot himself in motion then hit the pole

The car is clearly visible in may of the stories. He crashed into a pole before taking his own life
attachment.php
attachment.php

~

I don't think suicide was his plan. If so, he would have done it after killing that innocent victim.

He knew he was caught and wanted control of taking himself out. (imo)

When people talk of feeling suicidal and homicidal, they should be taken seriously and need treatment. IIRC, he spoke to his mother about these feelings (?) Not blaming her. As mentioned upthread, I, too, wish mental health services were available to everyone. Or if available, (in this case? IDK) utilized before a tragedy.

I feel for all the families... especially Mr. Godwin.

rbbm
Bingo, imo,speculation
'He didn't really know how to talk to us ladies,' Lee said. 'The snake was meant to draw my attention and he regularly told me he had a crush on me.

'But he wasn't my type at all. There was nothing attractive about him. He did have a nice personality though.

Another local woman Charisse Leonard, 28, said: 'I thought he was confused about his sexuality and could even have been gay.

'I had never known him to have had a girlfriend. But he had a nice nature as did his mother and family. I never saw his dad.'

One news media site played a 911 call early on from home owner near the car-- eluding to the fact that he crashed and was dead in the car and perhaps police weren't on scene and maybe lost site of him for a block or so? I couldn't listen to the entire call as I am at work: but that's the gist of what I heard. I'd bet my left eye that the feds knew he was in the area already by monitoring social media or email accts etc. If he turned off old phone and bought a track phone he would have to use his gmail/yahoo etc to start a new FB to monitor his fame. I'm sure they were watching ALL of that. He was way too big of an attention wh*re to resist social media and apps like FB have VERY accurate plotting when trying to ping someone. All areas are different based on cell provider and tower capabilities, etc-- but I've had occasions where we could not accurately locate someone via AT&T or Sprint etc., due to them only providing phase 1 location information (vs phase 2) yet the person was using FB and I was able to get a "plot" on the user via FB that was dead on. He probably pulled off in the woods somewhere to lay low and creeped out today to eat, leave area or otherwise... I don't think he hit a pole from anything that I've heard either.

I look forward to your impression after viewing the interview. Seriously. It left me very feeling very uncomfortable.
Are you thinking she's happy? Not sad enough? Not affected at all? What were your impressions?

I'm still trying to find video. The one linked doesn't work right now. But I will say, the media tends to be pretty intrusive in these situations. I understand that it's their job. But this woman has been through a hellish whirlwind over the last 2 days, and who knows what before that. So I don't really have any particular expectations for her affect in front of a bunch of cameras. Especially less than an hour after her son shot himself in the head, after he murdered an innocent man in cold blood, and it's been all over the media. The enormity of the situation is just unfathomable to me. I'd probably need to be medicated.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

[h=1]Neighbors of Steve Stephens Say He Had a Gambling Problem and Seemed to Have a Hard Time With Women[/h][h=3]"He would tell the kids, 'Stay out of trouble, go to school and don't be knuckle heads.'"[/h]
Published 1 minute ago

The Facebook murderer who took his own life earlier today (April 18) after a pursuit with Pennsylvania State Police had a troubled past with women, according to several neighbors. Steve Stephens, 37, was on the run after shooting and killing 74-year-old Robert Godwin.

http://www.bet.com/news/national/20...ens-say-he-had-a-gambling-problem-and-se.html

There was a local rumor about why he and his girlfriend broke up.
Assuming he did in fact use animals to attract then intimidate people, consider the particular pets he allegedly displayed for that purpose..

A Bird and a Snake.
imo, speculation.

I have not seen the interview with his mother. Early on I did hear him speak about his interaction with his mother on Saturday. He described her as uncaring and unsympathetic. He had just lost a three year relationship and had an issue with gambling. He appeared upset that she was so unsympathetic when he was in such pain.

I wonder if she had had enough of him. With different addicts there is a saying about detaching with love. The tactic (more often than not) makes addicts angrier because they are not getting what they want-- attention, money....

I think we will get a different picture of this murderer as the days and weeks go by. I will continue to look for her interview because I want to see what is being discussed. I do think his relationship with others is way more complicated than what we have heard so far.

Here is a longer video of his mother speaking with the press today.

Again mother speaks at 16:44 of the video. (He owed her money)

Presser begins at 18:54

[FONT=&amp]Steve Stephens Found Dead : Press Conference : Mother Speaks[/FONT]

[video=youtube;sdzcdX-Woyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdzcdX-Woyo[/video]

Are you thinking she's happy? Not sad enough? Not affected at all? What were your impressions?

I'm still trying to find video. The one linked doesn't work right now. But I will say, the media tends to be pretty intrusive in these situations. I understand that it's their job. But this woman has been through a hellish whirlwind over the last 2 days, and who knows what before that. So I don't really have any particular expectations for her affect in front of a bunch of cameras. Especially less than an hour after her son shot himself in the head, after he murdered an innocent man in cold blood, and it's been all over the media. The enormity of the situation is just unfathomable to me. I'd probably need to be medicated.

I agree with everything you've said here. I probably shouldn't have even posted so impulsively. I was just taken aback by her words and demeanor. I wish I could adequately describe it, although I know it's subjective and others will interpret it differently.

I know it's their job but it always disgusts me to see media knocking on the doors of loved ones within minutes of something like this. I'll just say it would have been wiser to have told them she would issue a statement after having time to absorb this news.

That said, I'm sorry for her, JL and, of course mostly, for the Godwin family who have so graciously already expressed forgiveness.

Here is a longer video of his mother speaking with the press today.

Again mother speaks at 16:44 of the video. (He owed her money)

Presser begins at 18:54

[FONT=&]Steve Stephens Found Dead : Press Conference : Mother Speaks[/FONT]

[video=youtube;sdzcdX-Woyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdzcdX-Woyo[/video]

That is a very odd interview given that your child has killed himself after committing murder. It is clear he was looking for help but she didn't understand how grave the situation was. She just seemed resigned to the fact that this was his fate.

Very sad and senseless tragedy.

That's what I heard from friends/family in Cleveland. Again it's just rumours but heard it from a lot of different people.

Which is one of the reasons I thought law enforcement might have had a hand in what his ex girlfriend said in her statement. They maybe told her we need you to saynice things and help calm him down. And I also thought maybe why law enforcement were saying they had no idea what set him off - when asked they said "only Steve knows that". It was almost like they were trying to get out there they weren't publically outing him and she wasn't either. Maybe they profiled that that mattered a lot to him and were trying to minimise things. Was just a theory I had watching things.

(Obviously nothing that happened was a reason for him to do the things he did. I'm just saying police were maybe trying to calm him down.)

[h=1]Steve ‘Stevie’ Stephens Dead: Photos & Videos From the Scene In Erie, Pennsylvania[/h][FONT=&quot]Published 1:48 pm EDT, April 18, 2017

Pennsylvania State Police responded to a tip that said a vehicle similar to Stephens’ was in the parking lot of a McDonald’s. When police followed-up on the tip and approached the car, Stephens fled and a pursuit ensued, which lasted roughly 10 minutes.
A witness told Cleveland 19 News that officers in pursuit of Stephens rammed the back of his Fusion, leading to him spinning out and coming to a stop on Buffalo Road, across from the former Burton Elementary School.
[/FONT]

http://heavy.com/news/2017/04/steve...facebook-car-suicide-cleveland-robert-godwin/

BBM Yep they rammed his rear bumper.

~~~~~~~

I agree with everything you've said here. I probably shouldn't have even posted so impulsively. I was just taken aback by her words and demeanor. I wish I could adequately describe it, although I know it's subjective and others will interpret it differently.

I know it's their job but it always disgusts me to see media knocking on the doors of loved ones within minutes of something like this. I'll just say it would have been wiser to have told them she would issue a statement after having time to absorb this news.

That said, I'm sorry for her, JL and, of course mostly, for the Godwin family who have so graciously already expressed forgiveness.
Now that I've watched it, I agree, it's weird. But I also stand by my previous statement. I have a very personal story about this. I'm going to choose not to share it right now, but yes, the media is notorious for catching people who are in shock, and almost making them feel like they have to speak. It's exploitative, IMO. Considering the circumstances, I would have expected her to seem off.

What a horrible situation he has caused!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackerjack82