Police Misconduct??

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
it is illegal-from the chiefs mouth A CLASS 3 FELONY

It is my understanding from what I have read that the charges he wants to file are a class three felony. But he has also said the charges are unrelated to the disappearance of Stacy and he hasn't said what kind of misconduct the charges are for.

Drew never misused police database, his lawyer claims
PETERSON CASE | Says cops routinely did personal searches

Drew Peterson never misused police databases to get information on family or friends, including a man with whom his missing wife, Stacy, traded sexually suggestive text messages, Peterson's lawyer said Monday.

On Monday, McGury said the alleged misconduct didn't involve improper computer background searches. McGury has said he planned to forward information to prosecutors for possible criminal charges.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/peterson/679601,CST-NWS-boling04a.article

Isn't that something of a contradiction? Drew P didn't do it, but it was routine to do it

The state periodically audits Law Enforcement Agencies Data System computer usage, Teppel said, and does not tolerate misuse. In fact, a dispatcher was fired in March 2006 for providing sensitive LEADS information to automobile repossessors.

If the audits turned up misuse of computers, the state could pull its service and threaten the department's existence, Teppel said.

"If you don't have access to the LEADS system," he said, "you can't be a police department."

On top of that, Teppel said Brodsky is way off base as to what police Chief Ray McGury presented to Glasgow.

"That would be part of the criminal investigation by the state police," Teppel said of the supposed allegations that Peterson misused department computers. "The state would turn that over to us.

snip: The information unearthed by state police and sent to Bolingbrook for the internal investigation is not related to Savio's death or Stacy Peterson's disappearance, Teppel said.

Police Chief Ray McGury planned to present the information from the internal investigation to the state's attorney's office, but that so far has not resulted in criminal charges against Peterson.

"There's nothing, outside the investigation (of Stacy Peterson's disappearance), the chief has brought us that warrants criminal charges," Pelkie said.

By resigning from the department, Peterson dodged an interview with internal affairs investigators. By failing to show, he was not informed of the accusations being brought, and Teppel doubted either Peterson or his attorney know what they are.

"How does Brodsky know?" the lieutenant said. "Drew refused to show up or have an attorney come in."

Confronting Peterson and demanding he answer the allegations would have made his statements inadmissible in court, Teppel explained.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/679353,4_1_JO04_PETERSON_S1.article

So Brodsky may be fighting a battle over the wrong thing!

Bringing this forward

Drew many very well be guilty of misconduct, but if his pension is stopped, it will be the kids who will suffer. If the misconduct charge is something a lot of officers do, let it be.

I'm not so worried about the kids financially. DP probably had life insurance on Stacy and it would go to the kids if he is convicted of murdering her. Plus, the children would probably get Social Security Survivor's benefits. Since she adopted his children from KS marriabge, they would probably also qualify for her survivor benefits.

lol, true. They have 29 years worth to follow up on!

lewie-pls don't make me puke- this is not your dispatch screen you are typing on it is WS so pls leave the itchy parts in the squad.thx-susan

Is anyone else having trouble with the smileys? I can't get them to work!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :hand: :sick: :silenced:

:blowkiss: Guess it was me, thanks guys!

Thank you Mysteriew I thought that I might have missed some where along the line what criminal charges the chief was discussing.

So why is Brodsky going off half cocked about this computer use for background checks..he is just giving the LEO more ammunition if you ask me.

Brodsky is reacting to this article that appeared in the local newspapers yesterday about doing unauthorized background checks. But it would appear that this might be just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=5810272

DP knows what he's done, he's been caught, and he knows they've got him, so he resigned in order to protect his pension and to stop the investigation from going forward. But, it appears the police chief is going forward with this by forwarding what they have to the prosecutor.

Last night on Greta Van Susteran, Chief McGury was on and after Joel Brodsky made the statement that his client did nothing wrong, that all policemen in the dept. were using the computers to do personal background checks, Chief McGury demanded that Joel Brodsky send him a list of all Bolingbrook police officers that were using the system to do personal background searches.

Greta also cornered Joel Brodsky in regards to a time line - where was his client on Sunday, October 28th into the early morning hours of October 29? She's going to pursue this and I think there will be more tonight.

I was glad to see Chief McGury get all fired up and defending his department. He was really snapping, good for him. What a nightmare. Brodsky is a a good match for DP.

I've talked to a couple of Chief's locally, and they are all 100% behind Chief McGury. When I asked why, they all gave the same first reason. ANY POLICE OFFICER THAT MAKES A MOCKERY OF OUT THEIR DEPARTMENT, had better have done so with a squeaky clean background while they were there as a police officer. (they think DP should have been gone long ago with what has come out so far)

Also, the LEADS is available to all police officers and the dispatcher and they all have a policy on the use. First and foremost, it is ONLY TO BE USED FOR OFFICIAL POLICE BUSINESS. However, one or more did say that it had been used for "personal" reasons, like checking on older children or doing a favor for a friend. However, for Brodsky to say that all police officers do it nightly, is just another "pinnochio" lie according to them as they would not tolerate it from their officers.

........Also, the LEADS is available to all police officers and the dispatcher and they all have a policy on the use. First and foremost, it is ONLY TO BE USED FOR OFFICIAL POLICE BUSINESS. However, one or more did say that it had been used for "personal" reasons, like checking on older children or doing a favor for a friend. However, for Brodsky to say that all police officers do it nightly, is just another "pinnochio" lie according to them as they would not tolerate it from their officers.

Littledeer - I think you are right that it is against police policy to use it for personal reasons (e.g., to checkout a daughter's boyfriend), but it becomes against the law when you take the info and use it against someone or give it to someone else. The example he used was that the BBPD fired a dispatcher last year for looking up info in LEADS and then "giving" the info to a repo man. I put giving in quotes because he may have sold the info - but either way - passing the info on to an unauthorized person is proabably what's against the law.

The thing is the Chief denys that that is what the misconduct is, and he says it isn't related to the investigation into Stacy's disappearance.

It is possible that he is denying it in order to keep Brodsky and Drew P on edge, but at this point all we have is the Chief's denial.

cricket:

snip
against the law when you take the info and use it against someone snip

So your saying the Chief can have charges pressed against DP because he used LEADS to sell the info, or possibly pressure someone to do something, because he found information on them from the LEADS system???

I agree totally with that. I was just trying to show how other area police chiefs are thinking about this case only on my question of how they felt about Chief McGury and the latest information about DP possibly illegally using the LEADS system.

(snip)
Illinois state investigators have subpoenaed the personnel files of three men with connections to the village of Oakbrook Police Department. Among them: Steve Peterson, one of Drew Peterson's sons.

and

When Steve Peterson's current stepmother, Stacy, 23, vanished almost six weeks ago, he was on vacation, according to police sources - a vacation that he extended several times in November.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=5817217

Randy, Uh oh, what's going on?

(snip)
The I-Team has also been told by investigators that state police seized the Oakbrook department personnel files of two of Peterson's closest friends on the force. One recently resigned while under investigation for professional misconduct. The other was recently terminated for lying and unauthorized access of criminal files

The I-Team has also been told by investigators that state police seized the Oakbrook department personnel files of two of Peterson's closest friends on the force. One recently resigned while under investigation for professional misconduct. The other was recently terminated for lying and unauthorized access of criminal files.

That is the same allegation that sources say Drew Peterson is facing in Bolingbrook - the sale of criminal records.

This is much more interesting than TV soaps. Every day brings someone new to the case. Honestly, I can't recall a case with so many far-reaching twists.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rndy
Back