POLL: How did JB do in closing statements pre-lunch?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

How did Jose Baez do so far?

• 1 - I pity the fool

Votes: 214 48.7%

Votes: 52 11.8%

Votes: 44 10.0%

Votes: 25 5.7%

Votes: 21 4.8%

Votes: 21 4.8%

Votes: 20 4.6%

Votes: 23 5.2%

Votes: 8 1.8%

Votes: 11 2.5%

• Total voters
JB seems scared and defeated, it seems to be oozing from his pores.

I think Mr. Baez is an insult and an embarrassment to the ethics of the law, HHBP, the jurors, his client, the spectators and us.

CBM

I gave him a 3, mostly for the visual of the pictures. But as Bette said, 3 is generous. Even though there were more people that didn't smell it, the people that did smell it have smelled a dead body before and they all knew what it was. There may be fewer that smelled it, but the people that did carried more weight, imo.

I also feel JB was disorganized and it was confusing, not powerful. I am not crazy about him, but I am trying to be objective.

I think if you had never smelled decomposition your first thought would not be it is a dead body. You have no memory bank in your head for that smell.I have smelled a decomposing body Unfortunately, a dear friend of mine committed suicide and I and another friend found her I hope I never smell it again. But if I did I would know that smell now.. Like everyone says you never forget that smell. It has been years but I can still smell that smell.

Respectfully, are you suggesting that Ashton would have sat in silence while JB violated the laws and rules of evidence? In any case JB is there to do everything within the law to get his client off. He doesn't have a lot to work with here.

I understand that to MANY people this job he has is distasteful, but that's our system and it's a damn good one.

There is nothing wrong with the system. I had no problem working with criminal defense lawyers at all. My problem is with JB himself not the system. Also, Ashton has not sat silently by and watched JB violate the laws. They've gone round and round plenty. The State will be up again... Ashton is handling this correctly as a good lawyer should.

Don't forget the contempt charges pending against Baez for breaking the rules of evidence and continually disobeying the Judge's orders.

If you get past the bad taste in jokes during a murder trial (was he trying to compete with pigs in a blanket?) and the rambling that never quite seemed to get to a point, there may be bits and pieces that connect with the jury.

I'll give him a 4.

I too wondered why GA, former LE, who smelled the smell one never forgets, who loved his daughter and granddaughter never called LE.

But I think I might be overcompensating for my inability to be objective when it comes to JB.

I wondered about that too and I think he made points but it's just all over the place and doesn't make sense in some places.

I think if you had never smelled it your first thought would not be it is a dead body. You have no reference in your head for that. I have smelled a decomposing body Unfortunately, a dear friend of mine committed suicide and I and another friend found her and God forbid I never smell it again. But if I did I would know that smell now.. Like everyone says you never forget that smell. It has been years but I can still smell that smell.

So sorry Buckeyefan1 that is really sad. Just horribly sad.

Respectfully, are you suggesting that Ashton would have sat in silence while JB violated the laws and rules of evidence? In any case JB is there to do everything within the law to get his client off. He doesn't have a lot to work with here.

I understand that to MANY people this job he has is distasteful, but that's our system and it's a damn good one.
I don't find his job distasteful in the least. Everyone has a right to a fair trial. I find Baez distasteful. As BS put it, Baez's defense strategy was sleazy. IMO, not all defense lawyers lack integrity and ethics. There are a lot of good ones.

IMO, those who lack ethics should be called to the carpet for it by their peers; not excused as par for the course.

The bar should be set higher.

He's fixated on that trash that is not even smelly garbage. Empty containers, wet or dry, could not possibly create the smell people have described. JB only has the trash which does not create reasonable doubt. Besides, at one point I could swear he admits a dead body was transported in that car.

He doesn't come across in a professional manner and he's not well spoken on the whole. He can make some good points but then he ruins it with all this minutia surrounding it. He doesn't know when to make a point and just let it sit.

I found it offensive that he wants to leave emotions out of it when he's played on emotions the whole time with the sex abuse allegations.

Can't vote from my phone, but i would probably give him a 2.

Problems:

Went on too long about how the defense doesn't have to put on a case after they went on and on and on. This argument has more weight if they have brief or no case.

Child abuse - I think everyone knows of cases where abuse is hidden for years.

Argument that we don't know how Caylee died, after telling us in opening that we knew exactly how she died and the state had wasted everyone's time and money by overcharging Casey.

Calling Casey a "lying no good *advertiser censored*." No one called her that in this whole trial except him. I don't even really think it was implied. He went on and on about how the SA tried to get them to hate her...but there wasn't any of that from the state.

Utter failure of sex abuse allegations. Not really about closing, but the jury has to be wondering why it's not there any more.

Even more, but it's 1:30. Gotta go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, he just did not back up his opening statement. From what I've read that is a huge problem.

I saw this mentioned on HLN, I took it to mean that this lady has already made up her mind so she can tune out whatever JA was saying, at least that's how I see it.

I was inititally worried but you make a good point.

Perhaps Jeff Ashton might have given that consideration as well before commenting on "pigs in a blanket" and "A dog buried it? Coyotes (laugh) we aren't blessed with those here (snicker)"

Sometimes it's helps to have a little bit of relief from formality but trying to be respectful of the victim.

With respect, JA had to bring up blankets---because he had to show the test w/ the pigs was not the way Caylee was disposed of.

AND the dog comment was a RESPONSE to the RIDICULOUS assertion that nice lady the DEFENSE put up there to claim a dog or coyote had buried Caylee's bones, and that could explain why they had only been there 'two weeks', in her opinion.

'Cut the Cheese' ---nobody CUT anything here. Except duct tape.
JMO

I'm giving him a 3, because while he was truly awful, I suppose he could have been worse. He could have admitted she was guilty!

As someone earlier posted, why isn't ICA's photo not on JB's board as one who told a friend that her car smelt of death. Coming directly from the horses mouth, so to speak.

If you get past the bad taste in jokes during a murder trial (was he trying to compete with pigs in a blanket?) and the rambling that never quite seemed to get to a point, there may be bits and pieces that connect with the jury.

I'll give him a 4.

I too wondered why GA, former LE, who smelled the smell one never forgets, who loved his daughter and granddaughter never called LE.

But I think I might be overcompensating for my inability to be objective when it comes to JB.
Not an unreasonable question, however the Anthonys (through Cindy) were in almost daily contact with KC and had no reason to believe at that point that anyone was dead...other than the smell. Although I believe it had become clear to the Anthonys that KC was trying to pull something. When George opened up the trunk, there was no body. The police were called later that day and I believe the smell in that car, combined with KC's unwillingness to produce Caylee, was a major factor for Cindy to contact police. If George had called the police from the tow yard, they would have come out, smelled it and then tried to locate KC and Caylee just as Cindy did that same night. With just a smell, what more could they have done, and that may have been what George was thinking. Sometimes when adults are missing, the police are slow to act. George might have felt that since KC and Cindy had been on the phone communicating recently that the police wouldn't have been in a hurry to find their adult child and her own daughter. George was trying to keep a new job. I believe he intended to and almost certainly would have have investigated more later himself once he got home...except Cindy had taken matters into her own hands the police were already there.

I feel sorry for JB. I know, I know, he chose this case, he wasnt assigned or forced in any way, but all he ever COULD say was whatever ICA said he could, and there never WAS a defense.

That's pretty much what I've felt all along. His Play-Do was petrified from the get go.

I suppose an experienced, talented defense attorney could have avoided the mistakes Baez made. ICA deserved that, murderer that she is.

This is PAINFUL to watch! JB sounds like he is on the verge of tears...not for ICA, but for his legal future!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back