POLL: How did JB do in closing statements pre-lunch?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

How did Jose Baez do so far?

• 1 - I pity the fool

Votes: 214 48.7%

Votes: 52 11.8%

Votes: 44 10.0%

Votes: 25 5.7%

Votes: 21 4.8%

Votes: 21 4.8%

Votes: 20 4.6%

Votes: 23 5.2%

Votes: 8 1.8%

Votes: 11 2.5%

• Total voters
JB brought up issue after issue and said something that amounted to "We'll get back to that."

Does JB not remember that he has told us all along that "we'll get back to that" and we will know all the answers to everything. He told us he would bring us in on the molestations and the RK factor, etc. and he dropped the ball on all of the promises.

I find this insulting. And I believe the jury will find it insulting. "we'll get back to that" implies that you have a reasonable explanation to something, and now is not the time to share with you, but in a few minutes a better time will appear. But, poof, JB never explains. Does he think we are all so gullible that we will believe what his initial implication was without an explanation?

I really believe that JB thinks he is the smartest man in the courtroom. At any time during the trial, regardless of the area of expertise, JB treated witnesses like he knew more. Does he really think he is smarter than JA or HHBP? Or FG and LDB? Or CM? He struts around the courtroom with his visual aids like he owns that courtroom and the rest of us are so pliable.

I wish I had started to count how many times he said "we'll get back to that" in his closing and how many times he actually did get back to it.

Again, he gives me a headache.

Respectfully,
BeagleMom

I think he did a pretty fair job.

In my opinion his goal (or strategy) is to redefine (in the jury's mind) the standard of proof the prosecution is expected to meet. He keeps repeated loaded language and phrases that, while technically correct semantically, are deliberately deceptive.

The recap he is offering, coupled with the narrative above, is designed to allow him to hammer this fallacy home. Further, while some here find it laughable, I believe that his charts have been well employed. When he removed all the images on the one side of the who smelled what chart, the couple pictures remaining looked mighty lonely. It was nonsense of course, but crafty nonsense.

The guy is smart. He is doing a lot with the little that he has. That's his JOB.

Fortunately I do not believe that it will be enough. The prosecution is going to have a the final word, and it is going to be devistating.

I agree with this.

I know she isn't popular around here, but I did read Andrea Lyon's book (Kindle Freebie). She had an acronym in there that basically mean Guilty Client and a Bad Case. I think that is what Jose has here. A more experienced attorney would have done what Andrea Lyon says in her book. Try to make the jury see the defendant as a human being. JB did none of that.

I would feel sorry for him if he were just attacking the evidence and not trying to throw innocent people under the bus.

He is blathering. It is a disjointed series of statements. It is not a cohesive closing argument. JB now adds the prosecution and state as the evil bad guys "only trying to win" and "hiding evidence".

He is boring......:banghead:

I'm embarrassed for him.

How can he spin this out for four hours unless it's for a love of his own voice...

zzzzzzz...What..? Oh..?! Sorry, you woke me up. :D

I wish <modsnip>'s Aquafina bottle contained a nice, cool, refreshing sip of <modsnip>. Poor <modsnip>. Ashton's a tough act to follow.

:crazy: Sorry! I was unaware of this.

GO TEAM CAYLEE!!!!:rocker:

I think hes doing a great job breaking it down that Casey is not mentally right. Hes doing a great job. jmo

He is blathering. It is a disjointed series of statements. It is not a cohesive closing argument. JB now adds the prosecution and state as the evil bad guys "only trying to win" and "hiding evidence".

He is boring......:banghead:
projection

I think hes doing a great job breaking it down that Casey is not mentally right. Hes doing a great job. jmo

I totally agree. I was like, this is supposed to be in her defense?!
I think JB is an Ashton-Wannabe! Can ya blame him? :crazy:

Mr. Baez, please stop flailing and acting like a madman. The jury isnt gonna mirror your outrage simply because you're loud, wanton, belligerent, and out of order.

:loser:

He reminds me of Rush Limbaugh. They make some good points here and there but it's covered by an avalanche of crap that contradicts itself. (I'm not talking about Rush's political leaning, just the coherence of his arguments). Plus they both love to hear themselves talk. Baez could have been a lot more effective had he been concise but his ego won't allow it. His closing has been like his opening...started off okay but really lost the plot as he went on and on and on, and still not finished as I type this.

He did the best he could do with what he has using tactics I do not agree with contradicting himself every other statement with a smug hypocrisy. I rated him a 4 pre lunch. He's all over the place again... lacking focus, throwing around too much in every direction. He has not improved since opening statements.

The state has it and has had for some time, imo.

I honestly feel sorry for him. It is sad watching him up there, and he really can't keep my attention. My mind keeps wandering off to other things.

He made no sense in the morning session.

Everyone is against his client, including her parents. All the experts are liers. He paints a nasty picture about his client and claims the State is painting that picture. He reminds the jury how the family buries their pets, then brings up CASEY borrowing the shovel. The ONLY person allowed to lie, is his client. He seemed to be working more for the State, then his client.

He was a little better in the afternoon.

I think if you had never smelled decomposition your first thought would not be it is a dead body. You have no memory bank in your head for that smell.I have smelled a decomposing body Unfortunately, a dear friend of mine committed suicide and I and another friend found her I hope I never smell it again. But if I did I would know that smell now.. Like everyone says you never forget that smell. It has been years but I can still smell that smell.

Kind of like a house fire. I was 3 when it happened to my family personally but I always have a strong reaction knowing the smell the few times when I have smelled it since.

I thought JB did fine with the closing arguments about the computer forensics. Where he bashed GA and ridiculed the suicide note won't go over with the jury, IMO. This jury will realize that he never covered any of the sexual abuse allegations (they won't know that he was precluded from doing so by HHJP) and I think they will hold it against him.

I am a little worried. I was at work earlier, but was listening when he brought up the ten people who did not smell the smell in the car. If I was on the jury, that wouldn't phase me, because I feel there is enough circumstantial evidence and her behavior during that time speaks volumes. My concern is that there are what...12 people on that jury? Are all twelve going to feel the same way as me? I am not so sure.

As far as the smell and those who did not smell it, it since they in all likelihood have never been exposed to such a smell, so how would they know? The fact is that several different people who have smelled it before, did smell it.

Ugh, the suspense is killing me.

I slept in until 8 AM my time and fiddled around a bit---I am pretty much done watching the trial---just waiting on a verdict.

I did watch some of the state though.

Did Baez actually point at the Ashton and yelled out "this laughing man" Holy moly. I am just speechless at that. What the heck is Baez doing?

JMHO

The thing with Baez, IMO, is he's all smoke and mirrors. Much like a slick salesman. His closing was good, as was most of his opening - the thing is though it's all junk, which the State can easily crush. Like the way they crushed Baez's opening statement during trial, even Baez backed away from it.

I fully expect LDB to demolish the DT's closing.

JB did bring out a few things through all the BS that woke me up.

1. As JB pointed out and in the trial I did not see a fetal shaped stain in the trunk carpet. Just didn't see it. Maybe I need a stronger pair of magnifying glasses. If someone can point it out to me, I will definitely go get a stronger pair of glasses.

2. The heart shape sticker supposedly on the duct tape the prosecuting attorney's was putting into evidence. It's true there was no heart shape sticker of that type in all of the stickers in Caylee/Casey's room.

:twocents:

I don't recall the State claiming it was a fetal shaped stain.

But I'm tired as all heck and scatter-brained at the moment, so...

The heart shaped sticker doesn't matter a whit, IMO, either way. I don't really care if it was there or not.

I thank JB for this - calling ICA a liar and a *advertiser censored* more than once.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousKet
Back