DNA Solves

Who Should Give Prosecution Closing Argument

• Linda Drane Burdick

Votes: 261 60.6%
  • Jeff Ashton

Votes: 170 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For closing, the SA needs the person who will break the jury's hearts all over again. The jurors need to leave the courtroom mad, and ready to convict.

Heartfelt and strong passion is what's needed for this closing. Play that tape of Caylee singing to her Papaw. I am not forgetting that there were at least 2 jurors against the death penalty. How they managed to squeek through, I'll never understand, but they are there, and someone is going to have to light a fire under those two jurors, IMO.

I'd reserve closing until after JB has presented his case.

There is no reason why he wouldn't be able to.

If you're referring to his raised voice, it happens all the time in courtrooms across this nation on a daily basis.

Care to explain?

Prosecutors, during closing arguments, need to be very careful not to try to appeal to emotions, fears, or the sympathy of the jury. He can raise his voice all he wants but he CANNOT use this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rAV5...eature=related - heartbreaking scenario of Caylee and the duct tape during closing or anything even resembling it.

Florida Criminal Procedure is very clear on what a prosecutor can and cannot say or do during closing. We know they walk a very, and I mean VERY fine line. It's unfortunate but the law is the law.

The last thing SA wants is a reversible error committed during closing. DT will be scrutinizing every word uttered looking for just that.

Prosecutors, during closing arguments, need to be very careful not to try to appeal to emotions, fears, or the sympathy of the jury. He can raise his voice all he wants but he CANNOT use this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rAV5...eature=related - heartbreaking scenario of Caylee and the duct tape during closing or anything even resembling it.

Florida Criminal Procedure is very clear on what a prosecutor can and cannot say or do during closing. We know they walk a very, and I mean VERY fine line. It's unfortunate but the law is the law.

The last thing SA wants is a reversible error committed during closing. DT will be scrutinizing every word uttered looking for just that.

I'm interested in seeing what you are linking to, but the link isn't working for me. :waitasec:

TIA if you can help me out!

For closing, the SA needs the person who will break the jury's hearts all over again. The jurors need to leave the courtroom mad, and ready to convict.

Heartfelt and strong passion is what's needed for this closing. Play that tape of Caylee singing to her Papaw. I am not forgetting that there were at least 2 jurors against the death penalty. How they managed to squeek through, I'll never understand, but they are there, and someone is going to have to light a fire under those two jurors, IMO.

I'd reserve closing until after JB has presented his case.

Remember that only a majority vote is needed to sentence Casey to Death, not unanimous.

That would be 7 of 12 for the Penalty Phase.

Penalty Phase is much different than the Guilt Phase where all Jurors must agree.

"Make him stop!"

Obviously, they both get under KC's skin but I think JA does just a tad more than LDB. That's the reason I want JA to do the closing. But, I agree with the poster above who said JA's cough would be too distracting. Not only is excessive coughing distracting, some people find it annoying.

I do not want anyone on the jury feeling annoyance toward the prosecution as they take the case to deliberation. Also, even if delivered passionately, driving home all the important points of their case, a closing argument punctuated with coughing would lose some of its punch.

JA has about a week give or take to be cured of whatever is ailing him. If that doesn't happen, LDB has to do the closing.

I'm always pleased when Linda gets up because she speaks clearly and in a way which is easy to understand, she doesn't feel the need to fluff up her words. Her no nonsense approach is wonderful and like Cecybeans said, she has great credibility. I do think her no nonsense manner can seem slightly void of emotion sometimes. However, she opened the case and I believe she should close it.

I admit that I struggle listening to Jeff, unfortunately his cough is distracting (at least to me) and he can seem a little disorganized or fidgety in comparison to Linda.

:dunno: Uggggh! Such a tough decision!

I agree that JB's opening had more emotion than Linda D-B's, but IMO the emotion had nothing to do with how Caylee died.

As the case has progressed I can see how Linda D-B's style works, while IMO the DT's theory has just backfired on them.

I too have noticed Jeff A.'s body language and I agree that it makes LBD look even more classy. But I didn't vote for LBD because I think JA would not do a good job, LBB is just that good.

I do think that Linda D-B shows that she cares, she is just not dramatic. I agree that LBD excels at presenting a logical and straightforward case that is easy to follow. Her style underscores that the defense's case is none of those things.

I also agree that Caylee singing "You Are My Sunshine" would be wonderful for the closing. The video is heartbreaking and the jury could see that there is a huge difference between LBD maintaining composure even while fighting for justice and ICA's/JB's superficial emotional performances.

I don't think the SA's approach can be set in stone, but because LBD and JA have such different styles the prosecution can adjust their strategy and still be able to present a strong closing argument.

Remember that only a majority vote is needed to sentence Casey to Death, not unanimous.

That would be 7 of 12 for the Penalty Phase.

Penalty Phase is much different than the Guilt Phase where all Jurors must agree.

I learn something new everyday! I did not know that.

I'm interested in seeing what you are linking to, but the link isn't working for me. :waitasec:

TIA if you can help me out!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rAV535Cgi8&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪WESH 2's Bob Kealing On Casey Anthony's Court Day‬‏[/ame]

.... This should work

Thank you for this info Desdemona, its very interesting, but it makes it even harder for me to decide between LDB and JA.:crazy:

My questions are in purple.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/criminal-trial-procedures-overview-29509.html

Respectfully sniped....

Prosecution rebuttal. The prosecutor offers evidence to refute the defense case.
Are the prosecutors allowed to refute any aspect of the DT"S case even if they have already refuted it? Or are the SA's limited to refute only those aspects that just came up when the DT presented their case? Same with evidence, are there any limitations to what they can use during rebutal?

Respectfully sniped...

Prosecution rebuttal. The prosecution has the last word, if it chooses to do so, and again argues that the jury has credible evidence that supports a finding of guilty.
What are, if any, the prosecutor's limitations here? Can they do something like a quick and powerful emotional appeal for justice within the appropriate guide lines? Or can they only respond directly to specific aspects of the DT's case, closing arguments or the style in which they were presented?

All of I sudden I feel like I did at the beginning of the trial, unsure about where this case is going and how it is going to get there. I feel like I need to know exactly what is going to happen until both the prosecution and defense rest their cases.

I hate this feeling.

I know that Caylee is not technically "here", but I feel like I'm letting her down when I have doubts like this. I know that she wouldn't be looking down at me, but I feel like its very important to show complete faith that justice will be served. I hope that she knows that she is loved and missed by thousands of people she never knew in real life yet want to see justice for her.

I have to get going but didn't GA teach ICA "You Are My Sunshine" right before she died?

If the defense can use the video, can they include that little tid bit? Would that help to counter any doubts in GA's innocence?

Isn't there a video of GA teaching Caylee the song? Since the DT brought up ICA's ability to mother, could they possibly use that infer that GA had a deeper bond with Caylee?

I know we've heard testimony ICA was a good mom, but have we ever seen ICA's bond with Caylee like we see it with GA?

WITHOUT taking Jeff Ashton's previous emotional case summary during a previous hearing into consideration (since the jury has not heard it)..

And based SOLELY on the demeanor of the prosecuting attorneys during witness questioning, and how you feel the jurors responded to them...

Who do you think would serve Caylee best in presenting the final, impassionate prosecution case summary during Closing Arguments?

I, too, voted for LDB before I read the first post... for me, it comes down to a choice between methodical (LDB) and gut wrenching (JA). It's a hard decision and I wouldn't want to be the one to choose between them.:fence:

I have served on a jury where the two prosecuting attorneys shared the closing argument, maybe this will happen in this case since I believe the two of them have a lot to offer and I think that the jury need a detailed summary as well as the emotional, heartfelt gut wrenching plea for justice for Caylee.

I think LDB has to do it. She's been around enough courtrooms to know what she has to do. She has to firmly explain the holes in the defense case, and remind the jurors that if they think the evidence and testimony shows ICA committed murder, they have to vote guilty even if they think someone else helped cover it up, or even if they aren't sure where the body was for how long. This is a murder trial.

JA could do that too, but the last part of the close is where LDB is needed....she has to remind them about Caylee and advocate for her like a MOTHER would. She has to draw on that feminine instinct and be the "mother" advocating for her child....which will draw a stark contrast between her and Caylee's actual mother.

I think Linda because of ability to emote with the jury and connection with Cindy I think she would be best equipped to evoke the senseless tragedy of what happened to caylee as well as align all the facts presented with the truth.

:I also agree that Caylee singing "You Are My Sunshine" would be wonderful for the closing. The video is heartbreaking and the jury could see that there is a huge difference between LBD maintaining composure even while fighting for justice and ICA's/JB's superficial emotional performances. .

I would like to see them use that video too, but since it hadn't been entered into evidence before now, does that mean they can't use it in the closing argument?

I can't vote, I love them both. I love Jeff's emotion and passion...during the motion hearing, I was sobbing..I love Linda, she's so cool and to the point. They say it's a sandwich, first the state, then the defense...then the state has the last word, so WHYYYY can't we have both?? :) One before...one last.

I can't vote, I love them both. I love Jeff's emotion and passion...during the motion hearing, I was sobbing..I love Linda, she's so cool and to the point. They say it's a sandwich, first the state, then the defense...then the state has the last word, so WHYYYY can't we have both?? :) One before...one last.
Perhaps we will see both of them, and perhaps one will do the rebuttal and the other the surrebuttal. Overall, I like Jeff's fire and passion, but Linda is very good, it is her case, and as a woman, I don't think it should be taken away from her. Besides, I think she bugs Casey more, because she's everything Casey is not: an educated, beautiful, and classy woman!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet8vip
Back