Polly Klaas's killer Richard Allen Davis wants death sentence overturned - April 4, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Friday, May 31st:
*Judge’s Decision Due (@ am PT) – CA - *Polly Hannah Klaas (12) Polly & two friends were having a slumber party. Around 10:30pm, Oct. 1, 1993 an intoxicated Davis entered her bedroom, carrying a knife from Eve Nichol's kitchen. He told the girls he was there to do no harm & was only there for money. Davis tied up both of her friends, pulled pillowcases over their heads & told them to count to 1,000. He then kidnapped Klaas. Petaluma. Polly found Dec. 4 1993. *Richard Allen Davis (39 @ time of crime/now 69) was convicted on 6/1996 of first-degree murder with four special circumstances (robbery, burglary, kidnapping & attempted lewd act on a child) in Klaas's death. A San Jose Superior Court jury returned a verdict of death. At his formal sentencing, Davis provoked national outrage by taunting his victim's family, extending both middle fingers at a courtroom camera & later saying that Klaas's last words just before he killed her implied that her father molested her. Judge Thomas Hastings then formally sentenced Davis to death, telling Davis that his conduct in the courtroom made the decision to pass the death sentence significantly easier. Davis has been on death row since 1996. As of January 2024, he remains on California's death row in the Adjustment Center at San Quentin State Prison. Sonoma County
Appeal: On 6/1/99 the California Supreme Court upheld Davis' death sentence. Davis had argued that his jailhouse confession was inadmissible because it was given without an attorney present. The court ruled this was justified by the public safety exception to Miranda v. Arizona. His lawyer, Phillip Cherney, told reporters he intended to ask for a rehearing & that he would be lodging a habeas corpus appeal with state & federal courts.
For more info reference link:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...eath-sentence-overturned-april-4-2024.709224/

4/5/24 Update: Davis’ lawyers argue that a recent criminal justice reform law that invalidated certain sentencing enhancements entitles Davis to have his sentence reconsidered. Sonoma County prosecutors & Polly’s father, Marc Klaas, who became a crime victim advocate after her murder, disagree. Lawyers for Davis argued in a February court filing that the law that took effect in 2022 invalidates Davis’ sentencing enhancements for four prior serious felony convictions & three previous prison terms & entitles him to a full resentencing. But prosecutors with the Sonoma County District Attorney’s Office argue that the law doesn’t apply to his death sentence for Polly’s murder & would affect only two years worth of his prison sentence on other charges related to the crime. Judge Benjamin Williams said he plans to issue a ruling on 5/31/24.

ok, so if there's effectively no death penalty in California, resentence him to a life sentence, then throw away the key and let nobody hear from him ever again.

If there isn't actually any executions happening in California, are those sentenced to death just imprisoned indefinitely on the assumption that maybe one day there will be executions again?

Poster boy for lethal injection. He should have been executed years ago!

My husband and I were talking about this very issue the other day, why is it so difficult to administer the death penalty? Apparently states have had problems with getting the right drug "cocktail" to kill people effectively.

I don't understand it. Fentanyl appears to be killing people all over, why not send people away with a horse size amount? Done. Or as someone mentioned earlier, get a rope. I am not inhumane. My humanity is for the victims, not the killers.

ok, so if there's effectively no death penalty in California, resentence him to a life sentence, then throw away the key and let nobody hear from him ever again.

If there isn't actually any executions happening in California, are those sentenced to death just imprisoned indefinitely on the assumption that maybe one day there will be executions again?

I was hoping they are all on "hold" - until a new Governor gets in....

There are men on Death Row in California who were sentenced back in the early 1980's, some 40 years ago! A scandal. Millions of taxpayer dollars spent on endless appeals. There's only been a few executions since 1977 and most of those were men who decided to end their appeals. The whole system is a travesty, and now Newsom wants to empty Death Row in San Quentin and send these men to various prisons throughout the state.

Good!!

May 31, 2024
A California judge on Friday rejected a resentencing bid made by Richard Allen Davis, who in 1993 killed 12-year-old Polly Klaas after kidnapping her from her bedroom at knifepoint in a crime that shocked the nation.
[.....]
Davis’ attorneys argued in a February court filing that his death sentence should be recalled because of recent changes to California sentencing laws. They also noted California’s current moratorium on the death penalty. In 2019, California Gov. Gavin Newsom placed a moratorium on executions, calling the death penalty “a failure” that has discriminated against defendants who are mentally ill, Black and brown, or can’t afford expensive legal representation.” A future governor could change that policy.

The Sonoma County District Attorney’s Office said that Davis’ attorneys’ arguments are “nonsensical” and that the laws they are citing don’t apply to Davis’s death sentence for Klaas’ murder.
[.....]
Legal analyst Steven Clark said Friday's ruling could also affect the cases of other condemned inmates. California currently has 638 inmates facing death sentences.

"The judge said loud and clear that Richard Allen Davis is not going to be the beneficiary of the legislature's new sentencing reforms," Clark said.

Weird that his name is "Richard Allen", same as the accused killer of Delphi girls, "Richard Allen".

The man who killed Polly Klaas is a vile, disgusting person whose name I don't even want to type. Of course the judge did not grant his absurd wish. I don't think he even expected the judge to grant it... I think he just wanted to be back in the public eye in hopes of tormenting Polly's family a little bit more. So I'm done talking about him.

I do, however, want to send love and good wishes to Polly's family, her parents Eve and Marc, and her sisters, Annie and Jess. And to Polly's friends, especially the ones who were also assaulted (to a lesser degree) by the man who took Polly, watching it happen, unable to stop it.

I've noticed that all of the public's good wishes go only to Polly's dad. He's the most vocal/prominent family member in the media, yes, but Eve, Annie, and Jess deserve just as much respect and good wishes. To that end, here's a great article about Eve Nichol and the work she's done to help at-risk youth - EVE NICHOL, LOOKING FOR HOPE, FINDS 'LIFEWORKS'

And here's a link to Annie and Jess's website, and their podcast, A New Legacy. Jess Nichol Annie Nichol I'm really glad that Annie and Jess are now publicly sharing their stories, their thoughts, their perspectives....which are very different from Marc's in many ways, but the foundation is love for Polly and a commitment to children's safety.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms
Back