VA VA - Mamta Kafle Bhatt, 28, mom & pediatric nurse, 'involuntary missing,' husband reported her missing Aug 5, Manassas Park, 31 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
She’s broken all known patterns, as she always let people know when she was away from her husband (it seems to be after arguments); their marriage does not appear to have been a happy one.

Law enforcement is saying that the isn’t missing in her own volition, even upping the case to “critical.”

So it doesn’t appear they themselves are entertaining that option. I think they know a lot that we don’t.
Good point and I agree. (I still hear the nagging voice, though.)

jmo

8/15/24

Kafle's friend, Nadia Navarro, who organized Tuesday's gathering, told WJLA that it is unlike the mother to leave her 11-month-old daughter.

"Even if she was desperate, even if she might have been facing something, she wouldn't have left her daughter," Navarro told WJLA. "She was very self-sacrificial that way, no matter what would have been happening."

8/14/24

"The timelines are not aligning," friend Nadia Navarro said.

The last time Navarro heard from her friend was just days before she went missing.

"July 28 probably is the last time she tried to contact me," Navarro told FOX 5. "It was a missed call."​

She didn’t think anything of it until she saw a poster online saying that her 28-year-old friend was missing.

"I was like, ‘that’s strange.’ We had just planned a sleepover to see each other," said Navarro.

The two were roommates back in 2021 when Kafle’s husband was deployed.

"Mamta was more like a big sister to me," Navarro said.

Kafle and her husband later moved into their home in Manassas Park where they were raising their 11-month-old baby girl. Now, friends of Kafle’s like Navarro are questioning why she would just up and leave her little girl.

"She loved her baby more than anything else in the world," said Navarro.

8/15/24

Kafle's friend, Nadia Navarro, who organized Tuesday's gathering, told WJLA that it is unlike the mother to leave her 11-month-old daughter.

"Even if she was desperate, even if she might have been facing something, she wouldn't have left her daughter," Navarro told WJLA. "She was very self-sacrificial that way, no matter what would have been happening."
This is why I don't believe there's any chance she left of her own volition.

And remember, everyone, we have seen many cases where PD is quiet until an arrest is made and then we learn they knew all along the partner was responsible even though we saw them say 'They're being cooperative' and didn't name them as a POI. They need to get their case together, often requiring search warrants and then an arrest warrant that needs to be reviewed and signed. They may remain hush so as not to screw their case. It is not all in the PD's control. Entirely possible that is the case here.

I honestly have two working theories right now. One is the hinky meter clicking away about the husband and the other is a quiet voice wondering if she left on her own volition. At the moment, I'm on the fence, tbh, with the realization that is likely an unpopular (and uncomfortable) place to be sitting right now.

jmopinon at the moment, subject to change as we learn more
I wish I could sit on the fence with you, @Inthedetails--but there are two big things that just prevent me from being able to believe she is missing of her own volition.

The first is that she has a young baby, and it just seems...unlikely...that she would leave without the child. Now, is it possible that maybe she felt the baby would be at risk while she fled,or she honestly believed the child would be safer/better provided-for (temporarily or long-term) if in the care of its father? Of course! But just going by the cases I've followed, it would be a pretty unusual circumstance for a new mother (whose friends describe her as loving her baby "more than anything in the world") to abandon her infant without a word to anyone about it.

Second: she had an INS interview coming up that she apparently just missed. I hope anyone who's more knowledgeable about this than me will weigh in, but I believe it can take a while for a person to even get an interview slot--so it would seem to follow that most people don't miss those appointments without a very, very good reason (and if they know they are going to miss it, I would think most people would at least attempt to officially cancel the appointment so as to not look irresponsible/careless/negligent to the agency which dictates their visa/citizenship status!).

Last edited:
I wish I could sit on the fence with you, @Inthedetails--but there are two big things that just prevent me from being able to believe she is missing of her own volition.

The first is that she has a young baby, and it just seems...unlikely...that she would leave without the child. Now, is it possible that maybe she felt the baby would be at risk while she fled, or she hadn't really wanted to have a child in the first place, or she honestly believed the child would be safer/better provided-for (temporarily or long-term) if in the care of its father? Of course! But just going by the cases I've followed, it would be a pretty unusual circumstance for a new mother to abandon her infant without a word to anyone about it.

Second: she had an INS interview coming up that she apparently just missed. I hope anyone who's more knowledgeable about this than me will weigh in, but I believe it can take a while for a person to even get an interview slot--so it would seem to follow that most people don't miss those appointments without a very, very good reason (and if they know they are going to miss it, I would think most people would at least attempt to officially cancel the appointment so as to not look irresponsible/careless/negligent to the agency which dictates their visa/citizenship status!).
I just looked it up on the USCIS website, and the processing time for the application for naturalization (N-400) at the Washington DC office is 7 months.

There's an extended interview with the husband here. In cases like this we generally find ourselves wishing later that reporters asked certain questions. She asks some really good ones here, and we get some clarity on some things:

He never contacted police when she left before.

When he was searching for his wife in those early days (before the report), he says that he was just driving around and looking outside the places where she typically went.

She was supposed to work the next morning, after their alleged dinner on the 31st.

It doesn't sound like they typically slept in the same bedroom, and he makes reference to one of them apparently sleeping on the floor when they did sleep in the same room. On the night in question, his last memory is allegedly of him hearing his wife in the kitchen after dinner (he and the baby had supposedly gone upstairs to bed).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Venusflytrap100
Back