Pope Benedict XVI resigned-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has been elected

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to what I've read, the Cardinals will enter the chapel sometime Tuesday afternoon, and the first vote will take place. The chimney will be smoking during the conclave at approx. noon and six Rome time, so perhaps at 6 Rome time in Tuesday we will see results of the first vote.

Edit - so right now Rome is six hrs ahead of Boston. After our time change, it will be five hours (Italy does not switch until later). So the time to watch will be 1pm eastern on Tuesday. I wonder if anyone will be live streaming it. EWTN, or Boston Catholic TV perhaps. :crazy:

Scola of Italy has edged out Turkson of Ghana at Paddy Power...

I better best as soon as possible, the odds keep going down. I have a question for anyone who has used the Paddy Power site, if we bet and win but the odds have changed, do we get money based on the odds that had been posted when we first betted or the final odds?

If it's the former I'm kicking myself for not having betted when the list was first put up online.

Re: web cameras, there will be a live chimney camera in a few days.

Maybe I am wrong, but it appears to be a more open field this time around.

It will be interesting to see how these odds change over the weekend. In 2005 I believe the odds were 20/1 if I am not mistaken. I believe I read that someplace with respect to Pope Benedict.

@Veidt - not sure on how that works with respect to the odds at the time of betting. I would think it would be the final odds prior to the first vote maybe?

Dang I am not even sure if they change during the process.

I better best as soon as possible, the odds keep going down. I have a question for anyone who has used the Paddy Power site, if we bet and win but the odds have changed, do we get money based on the odds that had been posted when we first betted or the final odds?

If it's the former I'm kicking myself for not having betted when the list was first put up online.

Re: web cameras, there will be a live chimney camera in a few days.
When one bets, one bets the odds at the time of the bet, and that is on which the potential payoff is based.

There's also a Ladbrokes link in one of my posts above, perhaps better odds for one's candidate there.

AND this morning it looks like Scola's threatening to run away from the field - nay (no pun), could he be the Secretariat of the 2013 papal election? - at 5/2. Turkson has faded to 7/2 then it's Bertone on the outside challenging to place at 5/1. Canada's Ouelett is fading at 10/1 and Brazil's Scherer (8/1) has passed him by. My Jesuit Bergoglio is down to 50/1 and appears to be running the wrong way. The Dolan/O'Malley exacta is not exactly making much headway - 20/1 and 33/1, respectively.

Only bitter deadlock will deny Scola the papacy. But if it does occur, candidates with long odds may pay off handsomely.

Please post when you find one, Wuffy...

Best-
Herding Cats
Haven't found a specific one yet but all major networks will have one; they did for Benedict, anyway.

The chimney does have its own Twitter account now: @PapalSmokeStack.

Some nice pics here, at Daily Mail, of workers setting up the chimney and the cast iron ovens.

Thanks, wf, that post gave me the giggles!

Paddy power now has Richard Dawkins (!) at (aptly?) 666/1, ahead of both Bono and the fictional Fr Dougal. :lol:

My favorite from Brasil is so far out that he can't be seen now.

I would be okay with Bergoglio, simply because I love me some Jesuits. I confess I know absolutely nothing else about him. I will make an educated guess, though, that he will be nixed because although he is a South American, his family appears to be of Italian extraction - too much colonial baggage.

Since my other "okay with" choice (O'Malley) is petering out, I'll say I'd be okay with Schoenborn, as both a scholar, and someone who has in the past entertained conversation about both relaxing priestly celibacy, and use of condoms (good grief, the Vatican truly does move at glacial speed, doesn't it?). He seems to find favor with both conservatives and liberals. But, I doubt they will go with another German (okay, Austrian, but ethnically identical, I think?). Also, maybe too young if they are looking for just a caretaker pope.

Pace, Dark Knight, Please no to Dolan. :crazy:

Why do they need smoke signals in the days of the cell phone and the internet?

It wouldn't be the church without old, arcane traditions.

Wy do we bless throats with candles? Why do we kiss statues? Why do we bury St Joseph? Why do we bow when we are censed? Why do we get blessed to chalk to bless our homes with by writing a weird mathematical formula every three kings day? :crazy:

As bad a catholic as I am, I love the traditions. The world gets a little less magical every time an old tradition is lost - catholic or non catholic ones. Cell phones and the Internet are just not as mysterious or fun as watching the color of smoke from a chimney. :twocents:

The cardinals are in conclave - where?

Casa Santa Marta.

When the conclave begins - what first?

Mass at St Peters.

The votes are cast - where?

Sistine Chapel.

How many electors are there?

115 electors.

How many votes does one need to win the papacy?

Two-thirds of the total - 77 votes.

We're looking for - what?

White smoke.

Why do they need smoke signals in the days of the cell phone and the internet?

Tradition. That's the way that it has always been done. When the Cardinals are assembled in the Sistine Chapel for Conclave, they have no communication with the outside world. The "smoke signals" are the only means of conveying the message universally about the selection of a new Pope. Other traditions tied to the naming of the new head of the Catholic Church include destroying the previous Pope's ring and Papal seal.

Forgive me for saying it, but the ritual traditions are the BEST thing about the Catholic Church. Its bureaucracy is corrupt, its politics are sexist and homophobic, and its dogma is often nonsensical.

Take away the incense (and black/white smoke), and what will be left?

(ETA despite the way it probably appears, this post is not a slam against the Church, but an acknowledgement of what it does best.)

It's so true! That's why it's so love/hate for me!

And as a woman who is a feminist, I don't take any of those charges lightly. I think they're true. And yet... It really is like that proverbial crazy uncle in the family. You hate him but you love him, because he is family!

And down the stretch they come!

Scola 2/1

Turkson 4/1

Bertone 5/1

Scherer 7/1

Ouellet 10/1

Ravasi 12/1

Schonborn 12/1

After that it's the deeper waters of 18/1 and up.

Cardinal Dolan charms worshippers at Rome Mass

New York archbishop gives homily at church in Rome before conclave begins

Author: From Chris Cuomo and Eric Marrapodi CNN

Published On: Mar 10 2013 10:15:50 AM EDT Updated On: Mar 10 2013 10:40:04 AM EDT

ROME (CNN) -
Crowds lined the walls and spilled out the front door of the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe on Monte Mario on Sunday to catch a glimpse of the gregarious American Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who smiled broadly as he came into the church, stopping to wave to photographers and kiss a baby whose parents were holding him up.

A local officiant began the service by saying it was great to have Dolan at the church close to Easter...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...Mass/-/1719418/19257154/-/i3oo28/-/index.html

Last night I was reading some chatter about Filipino cardinal Tagle being a favorite among some of the other cardinals. Youngish, makes big use of social media, very popular in the Philippines. Apparently some of the euro set doesn't like him because he cried when he was made a cardinal. Too emotional, I guess. :what: Jesuit-educated, has a background in liberalish theology (came under fire from conservatives in the 90s over a group paper that gave a very liberal interpretation of Vatican II). Very socially conservative in spite of that, however.

Oh, and Paddy Power has Tagle at 20/1. Not out of the running quite yet.

If it's black smoke after each of the first two ballots, things are tight; if it's black smoke after a third, anything could happen.

Scola breezes in first time around, that's my take.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416
Back