Pope Benedict XVI resigned-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has been elected

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I LOVED his Prada shoes
popeshoes.jpg

On the other hand I am shocked and keep wondering if he is going before some type of caca hits the fan.

I am Roman Catholic BTW

That business of the seagull attacking the dove bothers me. I am not much of a conspiracy theorist but we are living in strange times

[video=youtube;-NSz-9qqgKE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NSz-9qqgKE[/video]

Filly ponders what they will now do with the ring?

After the Pope dies they have to break the ring. He's not dead. There's going to have to be a new rule for the ring. Will he still wear it? Pass it on? Break it anyway? It's not like he's a greeter in Wal-Mart and just up and quits.

Special prayers for the Church and remember us Catholics have to say the Rosary. Lucinda said so.

I hope the Church continues it tradition and not try to "liberalize" itself. Any pope who went too far with that CAN be removed by the Cardinals.

As for the name, yes, each Pope choses their own name, usually representing something about them. None in over 2,000 years have ever chosen Peter, however, out of respect for the first Pope.

Filly ponders what they will now do with the ring?

After the Pope dies they have to break the ring. He's not dead. There's going to have to be a new rule for the ring. Will he still wear it? Pass it on? Break it anyway? It's not like he's a greeter in Wal-Mart and just up and quits.

Special prayers for the Church and remember us Catholics have to say the Rosary. Lucinda said so.

I'm certain the ring will be broken as he is no longer Pope at that time.

Am I the only one who thinks he may have resigned for other reasons? He has been called into question for the way he handled the sex scandal at times. Maybe something was going to come out?

I have no opinion but, no, you are not the only one. On some message boards there is speculation that Ratzinger needed to remove himself because he will be a plaintiff in future law suits against the church.

Again, I don't know enough about church legal issues to have an opinion and Dark Knight's argument that an able pontiff wouldn't quit just before Easter is very convincing.

Regarding the speculation, however, HBO currently has available on demand a documentary called MEA MAXIMA CULPA: SILENCE IN THE HOUSE OF GOD about the long-term molestation of students at a school for the deaf in the American Midwest. The film traces the responsibility up through the channels of the church squarely to Ratzinger's office before he became Pope. The film is riveting and horrifying, IMO.

Here's a discussion of the resignation announcement with the film's director:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/mea-maxima-culpa-director-alex-gibney-praises-pope-170013599.html

I hope the Church continues it tradition and not try to "liberalize" itself. Any pope who went too far with that CAN be removed by the Cardinals.

As for the name, yes, each Pope choses their own name, usually representing something about them. None in over 2,000 years have ever chosen Peter, however, out of respect for the first Pope.

BBM: Want to count again, DK? By any measure I have seen, Jesus was at most a teenager 2,000 years ago! He hadn't even met Peter yet. :)

Please elaborate Dark Knight!

DK is referring to a legendary clairvoyant of the 12th century, sometimes called "St. Malachy" (to distinguish him from the Hebrew prophet, Malachi).

Prophecy of the Popes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Malachy is said to have had a vision of 112 future popes, extending to the end of the world. The final paragraph of his vision reads as follows:

In the extreme persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will sit [i.e., as bishop] Peter the Roman, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations: and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the terrible judge will judge his people.
The End.

UTTER SPECULATION ON MY PART: whomever is elected as the next pope will be said by some to fit the prophecy on the ground that all popes succeed from Peter in Rome and Malachy was using a symbolic name for the last one. Per Wikipedia, the Church itself thinks the "Prophecy of Malachy" is a forgery.

BBM: Want to count again, DK? By any measure I have seen, Jesus was at most a teenager 2,000 years ago! He hadn't even met Peter yet. :)

Oops, good catch, Nova! I shoulda said in NEARLY 2,000 years, or something similar. You are correct, sir! :)

DK is referring to a legendary clairvoyant of the 12th century, sometimes called "St. Malachy" (to distinguish him from the Hebrew prophet, Malachi).

Prophecy of the Popes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Malachy is said to have had a vision of 112 future popes, extending to the end of the world. The final paragraph of his vision reads as follows:

UTTER SPECULATION ON MY PART: whomever is elected as the next pope will be said by some to fit the prophecy on the ground that all popes succeed from Peter in Rome and Malachy was using a symbolic name for the last one. Per Wikipedia, the Church itself thinks the "Prophecy of Malachy" is a forgery.

Some may do as you speculate, but by and large people expect something a bit closer, I think. He was pretty darn close on John Paul and Benedict, among others, which is why people think the next one is the final one. Benedict being the "benedictine" pope he spoke of.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back