Pope Benedict XVI resigned-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has been elected

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A good spot to watch for insider church news and gossip is the blog Whispers in the Loggia: http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/

Newest post, btw, links to a Vatican statement made after Benedict's announcement, that says upon retirement, Benedict will move to Castel Gandolfo, but will later move into space in the Vatican occupied by an order of cloistered nuns which is currently undergoing repair.

Am I the only one who thinks he may have resigned for other reasons? He has been called into question for the way he handled the sex scandal at times. Maybe something was going to come out?

I'm not sure about that being the reason, but reading the full statement, along with the statement that he will eventually be moving in with an orders of cloistered nuns for a life of prayer makes me wonder now if his reasons for retirement aren't spiritual rather than physical.

Am I the only one who thinks he may have resigned for other reasons? He has been called into question for the way he handled the sex scandal at times. Maybe something was going to come out?

I also believe there are other reasons for this. His butler is in jail for stealing confidential papers. Maybe some of this information has "leaked"??

Only a few weeks ago, he started twitter and he appeared to be quite pleased. Another reason why I'm surprised by this news.

The last few times I saw him on t.v. he looked very fragile. I was wondering if his health was okay. Then I saw the thread on the twitter and thought, oh, that's how he can continue, he can go digital and not have to travel or make a lot of appearances. I guess that is really not possible. I can see traveling being too much. It stresses me out, I can't imagine how I would feel if I were not doing well.

Detroit's archbishop surprised by pope's resignation plans

Archbishop Allen Vigneron says he's also saddened

Published On: Feb 11 2013 08:50:53 AM EST

DETROIT -
The leader of 1.3 million Roman Catholics in southeastern Michigan says he was surprised by the announcement that Pope Benedict XVI plans to resign.

Archbishop Allen Vigneron said in a statement Monday that surprise was followed by "sadness, a sense of grief at losing his fatherly care for all us." The leader of the Archdiocese of Detroit invited Catholics to pray for the pope and "guide him through what lies ahead"...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...lans/-/1719418/18494128/-/8seybk/-/index.html

The German theologian, whose mission was to reawaken Christianity in a secularized Europe, grew increasingly frail as he shouldered the monumental task of purging the Catholic world of a sex abuse scandal that festered under John Paul II and exploded during his reign into the church's biggest crisis in decades, if not centuries.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/11/3228175/popes-mission-to-revive-faith.html

But Benedict never admitted any personal or Vatican failure. Much to the dismay of victims, he never took action against bishops who ignored or covered up the abuse of their priests or moved known pedophiles to new posts where they abused again.

If there were any doubts about Benedict's priority to reinvigorate Christianity in Europe, his choice of a papal name was as good as any indication.

Benedict told cardinals soon after he was elected that he hoped to be a pope of peace, like Pope Benedict XV, who reigned during World War I. But the first Benedict - St. Benedict of Norcia - was also an inspiration.

God bless Benedict...I hope he is able to live his life the way he wants to, as a resigned pope.

And I will say that the other day, I had the crossing thought that well, after Benedict, Malachi says only one more...and now I find this. Sigh.

Best-
Herding Cats

Poking around the Catholic corners of the web, I see lots of Italians on the short lists for next pope. Best hopes for liberalization seem to be with the Brasilians. :please:

Pope to resign Feb. 28, says he's too infirm

By NICOLE WINFIELD and VICTOR L. SIMPSON, AP
2 hours ago

VATICAN CITY — Declaring that he lacks the strength to do his job, Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday he will resign Feb. 28 — becoming the first pontiff to step down in 600 years. His decision sets the stage for a mid-March conclave to elect a new leader for a Roman Catholic Church in deep turmoil.

The 85-year-old pope dropped the bombshell in Latin during a meeting of Vatican cardinals, surprising even his closest collaborators even though he had made clear previously that he would step down if he became too old or infirm to carry on.

Benedict called his choice "a decision of great importance for the life of the church."

Indeed, the move allows the Vatican to hold a conclave before Easter to elect a new pope, since the traditional nine days of mourning that would follow the death of a pope doesn't have to be observed...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20130211/EU.Vatican.Pope/

Cardinal Roger M. Mahony praised outgoing Pope Benedict XVI for his legacy of spreading Catholicism throughout the world and said he looks forward to traveling to Rome to help elect a successor.

Last month, after the release of thousands of pages of records about sexual abuse by priests, Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez announced that he had relieved Mahony of all public duties. The move, spurred by what Gomez said was Mahony's mishandling of the abuse cases, is unprecedented in the American Catholic Church.

Despite the public censure, Mahony is still allowed to help select a new Pope.

Mahony has since apologized for his actions in the sexual-abuse cases.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/02/pope-benedict-cardinal-mahony.html

I didn't know that popes could resign. i thought they were there for life. Just learned something.

I was shocked and had to run here to talk to someone. I'm not Catholic, but in my life time I have never seen a Pope resign. It scares me. The world is going all to pieces now is how it feels. I hope that his replacement is a devout person, loving, and good.

Don't be worried, gracenote. The church has been around for 2000 years, and despite the corrupt clowns that seem to run it sometimes, it still hasn't managed to self destruct (or be destructed) yet. :)

I'm pretty amused, personally, thinking of how Benedict managed to keep such a secret in such a gossip- and politicking- heavy environment as the Vatican is known to be!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinCaseBreakGlass
Back