Possible IT, Computer & Tech. Connection to the Long Island Case, Perp & Victims

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am operating on the assumption that the perp visits, posts and reads websites about himself. Given his predilection for taunting the victim's families and possibly law enforcement, I am thinking it is a strong Possibility he employs such methods. IMHO, it's Possible that the perp has his own website.

If the perp has installed a rootkit into computers that he Might be hacking/cracking, those anti-viral programs can be "killed" or rendered inoperable. Anti-virus programs can also be made to appear functional and even perform a system scan (with clean results of course) when they are anything but functional with a rootkit. Rootkits are difficult to detect with conventional anti-virus software.

Rootkit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

"A rootkit is a stealthy type of malicious software (malware) designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enables continued privileged access to a computer.[1] The term rootkit is a concatenation of "root" (the traditional name of the privileged account on Unix operating systems) and the word "kit" (which refers to the software components that implement the tool). The term "rootkit" has negative connotations through its association with malware.[1]

Typically, an attacker installs a rootkit on a computer after first obtaining root-level access, either by exploiting a known vulnerability or by obtaining a password (either by cracking the encryption, or through social engineering). Once a rootkit is installed, it allows an attacker to mask the ongoing intrusion and maintain privileged access to the computer by circumventing normal authentication and authorization mechanisms. Although rootkits can serve a variety of ends, they have gained notoriety primarily as malware, hiding applications that misappropriate computing resources or steal passwords without the knowledge of administrators and users of affected systems. Rootkits can target firmware, a hypervisor, the kernel, or—most commonly—user-mode applications."
Its funny you know so much about it as thats what they have going on @ the LISK site....you can get it fixed......I think the info is coming out now just because......certain people are being monitored & they clearly did this to all the honest people on LISK, that is why one needs an externalhard drive to back up & save all as I have. So they are unable to rid saved info from those drives...LISK IMO wants to get rid of evidence as to their unethical ways.....most posters are sock puppets ...I would say only 4 or 5 are not & that number is high

Was the LISK website a sockpuppet website?

wiseGEEK
What is a Sock Puppet Website?
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-sock-puppet-website.htm

“A sock puppet website is a website created to support an artificial personality, known in Internet slang as a sock puppet, shadow puppet, or glove puppet. While few sock puppets go to the length of making websites, preferring to remain in the shadows of bulletin boards, blog comments, and other forums, some do, and are sometimes capable of deceiving otherwise highly educated and knowledgeable individuals. A sock puppet website can be used to create the illusion that a false personality is real, advance a viral marketing campaign, as part of an astroturfing effort, or to undermine people with opposing views.”

*The wiseGEEK website also has a good glossary of Internet slang and terms, IMHO.

**I still wonder if the LISK website was owned and operated by the perp. I hope LE will subpoena the site's records if they haven't already to thoroughly investigate that possibility!

I believe it is Family of suspects & hired hands....it's funny how JB, GC, Doc are constantly put in a good light, saying they are honest etc......than trying everything in their power from the beginning to say SG is not connected to SK.....now from the beginning this has been going on ...before her remains were discovered....how is this even possible....it was like 90% of the posters, which leads me to believe it is motive driven.
Shannan was constantly put in a bad light...as if she deserved what happened...& the idea that her BiPolar Status was the cause of her actions...then 10 bodies are recovered. Now what is going on over there?????
The site needs to shut down. That can not be fixed. The same crazy group???? They same teams....Justice needs to prevail. They are criminal to allow what they have.

The LISK wasn't always run anonymously, when it was first up I checked whois and did a cursory sleuth of the fellow. Nothing of real interest, just a website developer who lives in the area... I don't know if I even kept a record of him.

And yes, here come the crazies :what:.....so we are all going to need to lookout.

:truce:

Hopefully you have & glad you mentioned that so if they need info they can go to you fellow slueth

Today I got this email from LISK:

We decided to change the look of the website so it wasn't so dark and we are trying to figure a way to make this a more useful resource.

If any of the users has any ideas please email the site so we can change it to become a more useful tool. We would like to use this as effectively as possible ... If that means deleting the entire site and starting over than that's what it will take.

A lot of the users on the site have gotten carried away by insulting each other and being offensive. THAT WAS NOT THE INTENTION.

By this happening on the website it is making the publishers of the site look as bad as the horrible people who added this ridiculous content.

All suggestions will be considered.

Lisk Website

Today I got this email from LISK:

We decided to change the look of the website so it wasn't so dark and we are trying to figure a way to make this a more useful resource.

If any of the users has any ideas please email the site so we can change it to become a more useful tool. We would like to use this as effectively as possible ... If that means deleting the entire site and starting over than that's what it will take.

A lot of the users on the site have gotten carried away by insulting each other and being offensive. THAT WAS NOT THE INTENTION.

By this happening on the website it is making the publishers of the site look as bad as the horrible people who added this ridiculous content.

All suggestions will be considered.

Lisk Website

I got it to, I went right to sight & said That WAS THEIR INTENTION, They outed & posted, personal email addresses, names, businesses. They purposely wanted the sight just for their characters....the BJ & JJ was stringing MG along....with nonsense, false hopes...if anything they sould be sued & truthfully I will be on that list....to sue them, I saved everything, the Admin/JJ drunk would swear & call people names, concocting a story like they were smoking the SK out. I was visited @ an event from a nut trying to video me.....saying they would put it on youtube. BJ told people he would email my home address, which it was outed to all, my work was called my contacts & a # from a Dr SY from TX. Than this crazy was posting on LISK that I was going to be harmed, described every1 in my home & told me I went to the pharmacy......totally outed & hurt me.

I know no one from Oak Beach & I never met a victim or their family members. I heard the story & went to sight to support,,,,,,than was said I was the SK, my family info was outed. Lawyer, FBI retired agent etc.....they decided to really play with the wrong person.....all I have to say, I am 100% sure justice will prevail. My family was extremely upset. I purchased a firearm...I was totally targeted. Claimed he entered my home as my special needs boy let him in.......the box my uncle would get in his closet.

That sight put me in danger & my family.<modsnip>

National Center for Victims of Crimes
Cyberstalking
http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32458

The above website has some basic information for people who are being cyberstalked. The website has included links of additional cyberstalking resources.

FightCyberstalking.org
http://www.fightcyberstalking.org/

The above website has information on the steps you should take if you are a victim of a cyberstalker. The site also has some “Online Safety Tips” and “Computer Safety Tips”.

**On page 2, post # 39 of this thread, there is a link to the National Conference of State Legislatures website. The site contains a list of cyberstalking laws by state.

National Center for Victims of Crimes
Cyberstalking
http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32458

The above website has some basic information for people who are being cyberstalked. The website has included links of additional cyberstalking resources.

FightCyberstalking.org
http://www.fightcyberstalking.org/

The above website has information on the steps you should take if you are a victim of a cyberstalker. The site also has some “Online Safety Tips” and “Computer Safety Tips”.

**On page 2, post # 39 of this thread, there is a link to the National Conference of State Legislatures website. The site contains a list of cyberstalking laws by state.

Thank you, I am glad you see what's going on. Greatly appreciated. :innocent:

This thread was originally opened by Dwntwnslim (thank you) so we could sleuth possible IT, computer and technology connections as it relates to the Long Island serial killer and their victims. Let's try to get back to the original intent of this thread.

The closing of the LISK.com site, while intriguing, is obviously a sensitive subject for a variety of reasons and tends to provoke posts that are somewhat volatile in nature. In an effort to uphold the integrity of Websleuths we are suspending the discussion of the closing of LISK.com. Until and unless anyone can provide main stream media news of importance concerning the above-referenced site, please refrain from posting about it or referring to its former members.

Websleuths is concerned with how we conduct ourselves on our site and the ongoing progress we make in sleuthing the cases we cover. Let's try to uphold the high standards of WS and please post responsibly and accordingly.

Thank you all in advance for your cooperation.

SoSueMe
Websleuths Co-Owner

To start anew, here are a few questions provided by Dwntwnslim to regenerate this subject:

Questions

Could the perp have access to voice manipulation software and can, in real time, change the sound and rhythm of his voice over the phone? Has he been recording the voices of people he comes into contact with to use in this endeavor?

Does he know how to do things with mobile phones and landlines?

Does he know about caller ID spoofing?

Does he know how to remotely tamper with and reprogram phones?

Does he know how to physically hack into landlines?

Does he have phone cloning software?

Can whatever he does with these phones reflect on phone bills?

Is he a capable and prolific computer hacker?

Has he tried to hack into LE computer systems? Has he succeeded?

Is he some sort of digital voyeur/stalker/peeping tom?

Has he been digitally and physically spying on members of his community for years without them know about it?

Does anyone know if any of the victims had Twitter accounts? If so, Twitter might have been able to help LE. Check this out:

ZDNet
Twitter uploads contact list
data without consent; retains
for 18 months
By Zack Whittaker / February 15, 2012
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/twitt...a-without-consent-retains-for-18-months/69480

“Twitter has admitted it stores user contact details — including phone numbers and email addresses — for an 18-month retention period when the service’s “Find friends” feature is used.

New and existing Twitter followers alike can upload their contacts list and address books from a variety of platforms to see if any of their contacts match up to a Twitter registered account. Once users access the feature from one of its smartphone applications, it uploads the data and is subsequently stored for 18 months.

The Twitter application for the iPhone, iPad, and Android devices does not ask for permission before it scans your contacts and reveals your contacts’ Twitter accounts.

Looking into Twitter’s privacy policy, it does not explicitly disclose that it uploads and stores your contact information.”

**Although I am sure LE checked out any possible Twitter angle, I passed the info onto them just in case. This Twitter info could still prove useful to LE, IMHO.

Does anyone know if any of the victims had Twitter accounts? If so, Twitter might have been able to help LE. Check this out:

ZDNet
for 18 months
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/twitt...a-without-consent-retains-for-18-months/69480

“Twitter has admitted it stores user contact details — including phone numbers and email addresses — for an 18-month retention period when the service’s “Find friends” feature is used.

New and existing Twitter followers alike can upload their contacts list and address books from a variety of platforms to see if any of their contacts match up to a Twitter registered account. Once users access the feature from one of its smartphone applications, it uploads the data and is subsequently stored for 18 months.

The Twitter application for the iPhone, iPad, and Android devices does not ask for permission before it scans your contacts and reveals your contacts’ Twitter accounts.

Looking into Twitter’s privacy policy, it does not explicitly disclose that it uploads and stores your contact information.”

**Although I am sure LE checked out any possible Twitter angle, I passed the info onto them just in case. This Twitter info could still prove useful to LE, IMHO.

Sorry to quote myself! I just wanted to add a thought but couldn't through the "Edit" function. It is my Personal Opinion that Twitter is giving the public a low number when it comes to how long they have been keeping users' personal information. They have been caught in a serious breach of privacy and don't want to alarm the public any more than they already have. I think it's highly possible that Twitter Might be storing users' personal data for up to twice as long as they have indicated. This is bad news for those of us who value our privacy but, potentially good news for LE investigating the Long Island murders. Again, this is My Opinion Only!

ZDNet
for 18 months

I did a basic look on Twitter and didn't find anything of note. Remember, too, that even though Twitter was created in 2006, it didn't get popular in the mainstream until a few years later. Most of our victims/possible victims had died by then..save for Waterman, Barthelemy, and Gilbert. I also looked for people related to the case (Pak, Brewer, Schaller, family members-not Coletti because I doubt any 80 year old man is going to use Twitter!), but again, I didn't see anything notable. All I really came up with was Sherre Gilbert's and she writes about mundane stuf as she should because she's trying to live her life as normally as possible I would hope.

One problem with Twitter is that large in part, if you're not famous or promoting something, people learn quickly that its fairly boring. They sign up, make like 3 tweets and go away. Many never fill out a profile or put up a photo. I know I just use mine to read news, weather, and celebrity updates. I probably haven't posted in 3 months.

I did a basic look on Twitter and didn't find anything of note. Remember, too, that even though Twitter was created in 2006, it didn't get popular in the mainstream until a few years later. Most of our victims/possible victims had died by then..save for Waterman, Barthelemy, and Gilbert. I also looked for people related to the case (Pak, Brewer, Schaller, family members-not Coletti because I doubt any 80 year old man is going to use Twitter!), but again, I didn't see anything notable. All I really came up with was Sherre Gilbert's and she writes about mundane stuf as she should because she's trying to live her life as normally as possible I would hope.

One problem with Twitter is that large in part, if you're not famous or promoting something, people learn quickly that its fairly boring. They sign up, make like 3 tweets and go away. Many never fill out a profile or put up a photo. I know I just use mine to read news, weather, and celebrity updates. I probably haven't posted in 3 months.

" Most of our victims/possible victims had died by then..save for Waterman, Barthelemy, and Gilbert."

Yes. They are the people I had in mind. Plus, if they did have Twitter pages, they might have since been shut down and/or they used aliases when they opened their accounts.

With the possible exceptions of Amber Costello and Shannan Gilbert, I'm wondering if the perp Might be keeping the phones of the victims as part of his trophy collection.

"All I really came up with was Sherre Gilbert's and she writes about mundane stuf as she should because she's trying to live her life as normally as possible I would hope."

If Shannan Gilbert is a victim of the serial killer, Might he be following Sherre Gilbert's tweets? Doesn't the perp like to glean information regarding the victims' lives? What if the perp also tweets? What if the perp at some point got sloppy and tweeted with an unsecured mobile device?

Here are some Twitter stats with links:

Mashable Social Media
13% of Online Americans Use Twitter [STATS]
June 01, 2011 by Lauren Indvik
http://mashable.com/2011/06/01/twitter-pew-study/

"Much of that growth came from younger adults, Pew found. Nearly one in five U.S. Internet users ages 25 to 34 use Twitter, up from 9% in November."

Pew Internet
Pew Internet & American Life Project
8% of online Americans use Twitter
Dec. 9, 2010
by Aaron Smith, Lee Rainie
http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2010/Twitter-Update-2010/Findings/Overview.aspx

"Some of the groups who are notable for their relatively high levels of Twitter use include:

Young adults – Internet users ages 18-29 are significantly more likely to use Twitter than older adults.

African-Americans and Latinos – Minority internet users are more than twice as likely to use Twitter as are white internet users.

Urbanites – Urban residents are roughly twice as likely to use Twitter as rural dwellers."

Mashable Social Media
STATS: Young People Are Flocking to Twitter
September 02, 2009
by Adam Ostrow
http://mashable.com/2009/09/02/twitter-demographics/

"The share of visitors to Twitter under the age of 35 is increasing at a breakneck pace. The most notable positive shifts are evident among the 12-17 and 18-24 year old segments, which are coming at the expense of the 35+ segments.”

Hi Dwntwnslim,

I learned sooooo much! Thank you for all the info and the links! It was great to read about all this stuff in one place. I really appreciate the time you took - my poor brain is exhausted from absorbing your great teachings, so off to bed I go to dream of sockpuppets and such....:eek:ddsmiley:

I don't agree with the profiler in the original post about the perp being aged 20-30. Unless there's more that we haven't been told, what has he done that has been so technical besides get on craigslist and use a cell phone? There's so many people even over age 60 who use computers and cell phones. People in their 40's and 50's are still working, driving, and needing phones plus computers to communicate with family and friends.

I don't agree with the profiler in the original post about the perp being aged 20-30. Unless there's more that we haven't been told, what has he done that has been so technical besides get on craigslist and use a cell phone? There's so many people even over age 60 who use computers and cell phones. People in their 40's and 50's are still working, driving, and needing phones plus computers to communicate with family and friends.

Good points txsvicki about the possible age of the perp. My parents are in their 60s and are tech savvy. In fact they have professional experience working with computers and other types of technology.

I think he might be tech savvy due to the fact that the digital trail the perp left (If he left a digital trail) has been difficult to establish. He knows how to find information on how to take digital forensic counter measures. JMO. But, yes, the "tech savvy" theory could be completely wrong. For all we know the perp could be some sort of neo-Luddite like the unibomber.

Btw, does the "txs" in your handle mean your from Texas?

Hi Dwntwnslim,

I learned sooooo much! Thank you for all the info and the links! It was great to read about all this stuff in one place. I really appreciate the time you took - my poor brain is exhausted from absorbing your great teachings, so off to bed I go to dream of sockpuppets and such....:eek:ddsmiley:

Your Welcome!

The story about Craigslist serial killer, Philip Markoff broke in April of 2009. LE was able to track the IP address he used to set-up one of his dates to his home address. I wonder if his story inspired the LI perp to take digital forensic counter measures?

COMPUTERWORLD

The story about Craigslist serial killer, Philip Markoff broke in April of 2009. LE was able to track the IP address he used to set-up one of his dates to his home address. I wonder if his story inspired the LI perp to take digital forensic counter measures?

COMPUTERWORLD
Digital trail led investigators to alleged
Craigslist murderer
By Sharon Gaudin
April 21, 2009
http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti..._investigators_to_alleged_Craigslist_murderer

"Investigators say digital forensics work was key to tracking down the suspect, according to Jake Wark, press secretary for the Suffolk County, Mass., district attorney's office."

"The technology involved was absolutely crucial in identifying the suspect," said Wark in an interview with Computerworld. "The investigation led to the recovery of an abundance of cellular, wireless and other electronic evidence."

"He added that investigators from the Boston police homicide unit were able to link the IP address that was used to send an e-mail setting up the April 14 date with the murder victim to Markoff's home address."

How do you think LE, some of the profilers and media are defining "tech savvy", "literate with computers", "internet fluent" and "how to utilize technology" when talking about the LI perp? What do these various sources mean when they use those terms? What skills does a person have to possess to be "tech savvy", "literate with computers" etc.?

International Business Times
Crimes of New York: Into the Mind of the Long Island Serial Killer
By Michael Billera
December 5, 2011
http://newyork.ibtimes.com/articles/261475/20111205/crimes-new-york-mind-long-island-serial.htm

"Because of the killer's fluency with the Internet , Dr. O'Toole believes he is in his mid- to late twenties, possibly early thirties. Someone, she suggests, "who is confident and younger."

S.T.A.L.K., INC.
Partial Profile of Long Island, NY Serial Killer
http://stalkinc.com/profile6.html

“...between the ages of 34 and 50. He has had and is known for having a long-time fascination with Law-Enforcement and has acquired police paraphernalia over the years. He is very literate with computers and communications in general. Because of this he is probably very adept at computer generated sounds, voices or phrases. He could be a collector of cell phones, not only of ones belonging to the victims.”

The New York Times
Serial Killer in L.I. Case Is Seen As Versed in Police
Techniques
By William K. Rashbaum and Joseph Goldstein; Al Baker contributed reporting.
April 9, 2011
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...A35757C0A9679D8B63&ref=longislandserialkiller

''He is a guy who is aware of how we utilize technology,'' one investigator said.

**I Am Really Interested In Everyone's Input On This!**

I focus on the computer/Internet angle in this thread because I have professional experience in the area (database development and web design) therefore, that's what I write about. But there are a multitude of areas and professions that require technical skills other than in computers/IT. Some that come to mind are:

Telecommunications
Art/Graphic Design
Auto Mechanics
Teaching
Military

Those are just some I could think of at the top of my head. What I'm trying to say is the perp's Possible technical skills Do Not have to be acquired via direct involvement with the computer/IT industry.

**The perp Does Not have to be a computer geek in order to have technical skils."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back