Post Verdict - Ross Harris Trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much it cost to put Ross Harris away in the hot-car murder case

The cost of sending Ross Harris to prison for the rest of his life was an extraordinary $550,000, documents examined by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution show.
Taxpayers provided about $275,000 for the unsuccessful defense of Harris, who was convicted of killing his 22-month-old son Cooper by leaving him to die in a hot SUV in 2014. The defense team charged about half the usual hourly rate for murder cases and worked for free for a year.

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/how...e-hot-car-murder-case/pPW0NOdD6Es3NwYLW37R4N/

The cost of sending Ross Harris to prison for the rest of his life was an extraordinary $550,000, documents examined by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution show.
Taxpayers provided about $275,000 for the unsuccessful defense of Harris, who was convicted of killing his 22-month-old son Cooper by leaving him to die in a hot SUV in 2014. The defense team charged about half the usual hourly rate for murder cases and worked for free for a year.

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/how...e-hot-car-murder-case/pPW0NOdD6Es3NwYLW37R4N/

So this is why Leanna made sure to divorce him. Hmmmmmmmmm

Interesting to see the financial details. Good thing they took the DP off the table.

Does anyone know how many appeals Ross will have? What is the typical or normal amount of appeals for a convicted murderer?

First they appeal the lower court decision.
If a party disagrees with a ruling made by the Court, he or she has two options. First, the party can file a motion for reconsideration, asking the Court to review the appeal again. The Court must physically receive a motion for reconsideration by 4:30 p.m. on the tenth day after the Court issued its opinion.
The Court may shorten this deadline.
Second, a party disagreeing with the Court’s decision may also file a notice of intention to petition for certiorari. This document notifies the Court that the filing party is requesting that the case be heard by the Supreme Court of Georgia. A party may still file this notice after they have filed a motion for reconsideration, but a party is not required to file the motion in order to file the notice of petition for certiorari.

First they appeal the lower court decision.
If a party disagrees with a ruling made by the Court, he or she has two options. First, the party can file a motion for reconsideration, asking the Court to review the appeal again. The Court must physically receive a motion for reconsideration by 4:30 p.m. on the tenth day after the Court issued its opinion.
The Court may shorten this deadline.
Second, a party disagreeing with the Court’s decision may also file a notice of intention to petition for certiorari. This document notifies the Court that the filing party is requesting that the case be heard by the Supreme Court of Georgia. A party may still file this notice after they have filed a motion for reconsideration, but a party is not required to file the motion in order to file the notice of petition for certiorari.
I am assuming that they will definitely go through the Supreme Court route. I'm assuming that will fail, so would there be any recourse for Ross after that point?

I am assuming that they will definitely go through the Supreme Court route. I'm assuming that will fail, so would there be any recourse for Ross after that point?

Well once he exhausts the appeal at the state level he's cooked unless something violated a federal law, in which case the us Supreme Court can decide to hear it. Us Supreme Court receives 10,000 petitions a year and only hears approx 800 of them.

So, he ended up at Valdosta State Prison. The Security Level there is "Close." Can someone explain what that means?

NAME: HARRIS, JUSTIN ROSS

GDC ID: 1001920988

1001920988.jpg

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION

YOB: 1980
RACE: WHITE
HEIGHT: 6'02''
WEIGHT: 255
EYE COLOR: BROWN
HAIR COLOR: BROWN

SCARS, MARKS, TATTOOS

INCARCERATION DETAILS

MAJOR OFFENSE: MURDER
MOST RECENT INSTITUTION: VALDOSTA STATE PRISON
MAX POSSIBLE RELEASE DATE: LIFE, W/O PAROLE

Important Release Information
ACTUAL RELEASE DATE: CURRENTLY SERVING
CURRENT STATUS: ACTIVE

KNOWN ALIASES

A.K.A. HARRIS,JUSTIN ROSS

STATE OF GEORGIA - CURRENT SENTENCES

CASE NO: 830513 OFFENSE: MURDER
CONVICTION COUNTY: COBB COUNTY
CRIME COMMIT DATE: 06/18/2014
SENTENCE LENGTH: NOT AVAILABLE

CASE NO: 830513 OFFENSE: SEX EXPLOITATION CHILD
SENTENCE LENGTH: 10 YEARS, 0 MONTHS, 0 DAYS

CASE NO: 830513 OFFENSE: distrbut obscene material

CASE NO: 830513 OFFENSE: CRUELTY TO CHILDREN
SENTENCE LENGTH: 20 YEARS, 0 MONTHS, 0 DAYS

CASE NO: 830513 OFFENSE: distrbut obscene material

STATE OF GEORGIA - PRIOR SENTENCES

STATE OF GEORGIA - INCARCERATION HISTORY

INCARCERATION BEGIN: 12/06/2016
INCARCERATION END: ACTIVE

ADDRESS:
3259 VALTECH ROAD
VALDOSTA GA 31601
LOWNDES COUNTY
PHONE: (229) 333-7900
FAX: (229) 333-5387 / (229) 245-6586
POPULATION:ADULT MALE FELONS
CONSTRUCTED: 1988/1956
CAPACITY:1312
OPENED:1989/1959
SECURITY LEVEL:CLOSE
RENOVATED: 1989

VISITATION DAYS / HOURS:
General Population:
Days: Saturdays, Sundays, and State Holidays
Hours: 9:00AM - 3:00PM

Tier Visitation Hours (scheduled 24 hours prior by visitor):
Days: Mondays and Wednesdays, excluding State Holidays
Hours: 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM
MISSION:
To protect the public by maintaining custody of close security offenders while providing academic and vocational education, mental health and mental retardation services and specialized evidence-based counseling programs. The Annex protects the public by maintaining custody of medium and minimum security offenders while providing outside work details to the community. The Georgia Correctional Industries chemical plant, located on the grounds of the Annex, manufactures cleaning supplies for prisons throughout the Department. This is a Tier I & II facility.

HOUSING:
Valdosta State Prison consists of 10 General Population units with 500 beds, six Mental Health units with 264 beds, 25 Isolation beds plus 12 Acute Care Unit beds and four Crisis Stabilization Unit beds. The Annex contains 554 General Population beds. Of those beds, 100 are designated as Residential Substance Abuse Center beds. This facility also houses a Special Management Unit (SMU), a C.E.R.T. Team, Tactical Squad and a Canine Unit.

OPEN DORMITORY
SINGLE CELLS
RESIDENTIAL SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROGRAM
WORK DETAILS
Valdosta State Prison and Annex inside details: Orderlies, Grounds Maintenance, Horticulture, Laundry, Food Service, Trash, Aides, Barbers and Maintenance. The Annex provides the following outside details: Correctional Industries, Department of Transportation, City of Valdosta, (1 detail), Lowndes County (3 details), Valdosta State Prison (2 details), Department of Transportation (Weigh Station), City of Adel and Maintenance (Outside Institution).

PROGRAMS:
Academic: General Education Diploma, Adult Basic Education, Literacy Remedial, Special Education, Monthly Correspondence Course Work
Substance Abuse: Substance Abuse Ed., Alcoholics Anonymous/Narcotics Anonymous, Residential Substance Abuse Center, Matrix Early Recovery, Matrix Relapse Prevention
Counseling: Motivation for Change, Re-Entry, Family Violence, Moral Reconation Therapy, Health Awareness, Thinking for a Change, Victim Impact, Lifers Group, Sex Offender Psycho-Educational Program (SOPP), Career Center in Media Center
Recreation: General Recreation, Intramural Sports
Religious Activities: Various Worship Services, Bible Study, Spiritual Enlightenment, Faith & Character Based Program, KAIROS, Gospel Choir
Vocational/OJT: Barbering, Custodial Maintenance, Dorm Orderlies, Laundry & Warehouse Orderlies, Food Service, General Office Clerk, Paint Detail
http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/FacilityMap/html/S_50000195.html

So, he ended up at Valdosta State Prison. The Security Level there is "Close." Can someone explain what that means?
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Close security prisons typically are comprised of single cells and divided into cellblocks, which may be in one building or multiple buildings. Cell doors generally are remotely controlled from a secure control station. Each cell is equipped with its own combination plumbing fixture, which includes a sink and toilet. The perimeter barrier is designed with a double fence with armed watch towers or armed roving patrols. Inmate movement is restricted and supervised by correctional staff. Inmates are allowed out of their cells to work or attend corrective programs inside the facility.
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/custody.htm

Valdosta State Prison is a Georgia Department of Corrections state prison for men located in Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia.
The facility first opened in 1959, and has a maximum capacity of 1312 inmates held at close security level.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdosta_State_Prison

Close security prisons typically are comprised of single cells and divided into cellblocks, which may be in one building or multiple buildings. Cell doors generally are remotely controlled from a secure control station. Each cell is equipped with its own combination plumbing fixture, which includes a sink and toilet. The perimeter barrier is designed with a double fence with armed watch towers or armed roving patrols. Inmate movement is restricted and supervised by correctional staff. Inmates are allowed out of their cells to work or attend corrective programs inside the facility.
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/custody.htm

Valdosta State Prison is a Georgia Department of Corrections state prison for men located in Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia.
The facility first opened in 1959, and has a maximum capacity of 1312 inmates held at close security level.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdosta_State_Prison

Ahhhh the dreaded sink toilet combo lmfao

This is such a small, inconsequential thing in relation to the weight of the whole matter but.................

I get a smug, satisfied feeling when seeing the prison mugshot of the newly-shorn Harris. IMO, his hair was a big part of his self-identity. We all saw it as unappealing (not to mention ridiculous) but from Harris's skewed perspective, it made him look and even more importantly, feel younger. I'm pretty sure that he had plenty of chances while in remand to have it cut (and I wouldn't be surprised if his DT tried to talk him into doing just that) yet he remained steadfast in his arrogance re: overgrown nonsense on top of head. With hair, he had a connection to his old self. With hair, he had hope.

A bald Harris looks exactly like what he is now - just another number in a system of other numbered felons with the rest of life to sit on "the dreaded sink toilet combo" (jdj125, you made my day with this!) to contemplate who he really is and what he really did.

60 bucks an hour? I'm totally good with that, if attorney's didn't cost so much then the cost of these trials wouldn't be so outrageously astronomical. JMO

Yeah, most men at his age that still have all their hair are rather proud of it. I had forgotten what he looked like so I just had to Google image search. God, what an ugly man. I try not to comment on people's looks but he is and was so very unattractive. No amount of hair could salvage that. I don't know how he got so many girlfriends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, what? People on fb familiar with GA's prison system said he would be at Jackson for about a year, getting evaluated and whatnot before being transferred to his permanent home?? Am I understanding this process has been completed and he is now at Valdosta? I was also told it was standard for newly convicted felons to be held at Jackson for 60 days in ISOLATION (cannot see attorneys or anyone else). That too was misinformation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298