Potential DT Witness Sally Karioth

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Another thing about this witnesses publications...they are severely dated. One book is from 1985. In grad school we were not allowed to use anything older than 5 years. She does not seem to be much of an academic.

I think that it may just be her upper midwestern accent that has stuck with her all of her life.
Her parents may have immigrated here, or, grandparents that were close in her up-bringing.

I appreciate that. But she may have been a bit easier to understand if she didn't have a wad of gum in her mouth. I think her testimony today in court had less to do with her accent, and more to do with her disrespect of the court and her apparent ease with the camera.

I think she was trying out for a part. She seemed rehearsed. JB didn't do it. She did it herself. Did you notice that at many times in her "statements" she couldn't go off script? She kept finishing what she started saying without regard to what anyone was asking her?

This one is fishy to me..

TC, Robin

I appreciate that. But she may have been a bit easier to understand if she didn't have a wad of gum in her mouth. I think her testimony today in court had less to do with her accent, and more to do with her disrespect of the court and her apparent ease with the camera.

I think she was trying out for a part. She seemed rehearsed. JB didn't do it. She did it herself. Did you notice that at many times in her "statements" she couldn't go off script? She kept finishing what she started saying without regard to what anyone was asking her?

TC, Robin

Yes when she was quoting people and telling stories it was just awful. She should not have been allowed to get up there and spew that nonsense. I lost a smidgeon of respect for HHJP on that one...

TC, Robin

I've been unable to verify that she actually testified during Susan Smith's trial, has anyone had better luck?

I think she helped the state more than the DT. Especially when she told JA how she helped a grieving mother protect her dead child (who had never been in the rain or cold) by going to the gravesite with a blanket and umbrella - even though the mom knew the child was gone :(

A mother should always have the need to protect their child -- even in death (as odd as that may sound). Caylee didn't think twice about dumping her child in the woods.

Then she wrapped it up by saying the bond between a mother and child never breaks. Wonder if ICA took that in (nah, prolly not).

So once I got past the animations and listened to what she was really saying to the state, I am confident the SA won this round.

MOO

Mel

I believe the points you made in this post will not be lost on the jury.

I decided to comment here before reading any of the other opinions because I want to see if what everyone else thinks about this particular expert witness is in line with what I'm thinking...which would mean it more than likely is in line with what the jury members are thinking.

I was immediately annoyed by her rambling....getting off track. Her credentials didn't seem all that credible IMO. I sort of had the feeling she was, how do I put this lol...she was very "into" herself. Meaning, she likes to hear herself talk, she thinks that her experience with previous trials, etc. makes her special. Maybe it does, but IMO it came off as a little cocky, conceited, self-serving. I kinda got the impression that she agreed to do this because she knew it was a high profile case and she wanted her 15 mins of fame. MOO

As for her testimony about grief, I completely agree with JA that she basically admitted that "any" behavior, any demeanor could be considered as a result of grief. She did say that there was normal grief versus inappropriate grief, which I agree with. And I do think people grieve differently. But if you were to look up grief, you would see that there are "stages" that MOST people go through. Statistically, I'm betting, it is extremely unlikely that someone whose baby has died an accidental death would behave the way that ICA has behaved. I wish JA had asked her about statistics such as this, which would show that jury that while "any" behavior is possible when grieving, that it is a very tiny chance that someone would behave the way ICA did, in the extreme way that she did with all the lying, partying, etc.

Not trying to bash this expert witness...just stating MOO and wondering if I'm the only one who perceived her testimony in this way. :)

The witness today was as anecdotal as they get. She had nothing to add. What I saw was a wei:waitasec:red sort of self promotion. I am still scratching my head over this witness.:waitasec:

TC, Robin

Respectfully snipped and BBM....That's exactly the word I was looking for. Self promotion. This is how it came off to me too. Having skimmed and read a few of the posts in this thread, I can see that many of the opinions here lined up with mine, and probably with the jury's as well. I think her testimony was a big waste of time and I have a feeling that even the DT is scratching their heads over this one. :waitasec: MOO

She didn't seem completely sober to me. Anyone else thought so?

ETA: I rephrased my question :) because it was deleted by a mod.

I came to WS just to see if anyone else thought this.

YES. She seemed.... impaired. Maybe the gum was to cover the, um, libations she had before she got to court?

That was about the loopiest testimony I've ever seen.

I typed about 12 times today during her testimony (blog at WFTV that doesn't post me) that she seemed drunk to me. Slurring her speech and rambling on and on. Mostly about herself and her Musical Theatre wanna be career.

respectfully snipped

Did anyone else notice her Jayne Mansfield sideways smiles at the jury? If I had been on the jury, I would have found that flirty, wink wink behavior repulsive.

All in all, she was one big epic fail for the defense. Chalk another one up as working out better for the prosecution than the people who hired her, thanks to Jeff Ashton's brilliant cross.

I"m just finishing watching this witnesses testimony. I found her a bit.... creepy. I'm not sure she is someone I would find comforting if I was grieving and needed help!

I"m just finishing watching this witnesses testimony. I found her a bit.... creepy. I'm not sure she is someone I would find comforting if I was grieving and needed help!

Did you notice, toward the beginning of her testimony, how she threw evil eyes at Ashton??

Something was very bizarre about her... just not right.

She was working overtime trying to connect with the jury. Total goo goo eyes and trying to make it seem like they were a team. I would have been turned off by her if on the jury for that, the fact she never even IVd Casey, and her arrogant disposition.

I came to WS just to see if anyone else thought this.

YES. She seemed.... impaired. Maybe the gum was to cover the, um, libations she had before she got to court?

That was about the loopiest testimony I've ever seen.

Yes, I think she had already been to a sidebar of her own...

My thoughts (and I haven't heard all of her testimony lol) :
WT heck?? This defense is running off track more each day. Anyone think it's a coincidence Jose Baez completed his undergraduate work at good ol Florida State in 1997 while Miss Sally has been on the faculty since 1970? things that make you go hmmmmm......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cocky, arrogant, slurred for whatever reason, had a sly smile when there were sidebars or objections to parts of her testimony, had no useful information to help the jury regarding Casey's guilt or innocence.

Jeff Ashton proved once again that he is just AMAZING! No matter how sly or incompetent the witness may be, our man Ashton somehow, someway manages to make it a win for the State. And yes, I like to mention his brilliance every chance I get!:)

My thoughts (and I haven't heard all of her testimony lol) :
WT heck?? This defense is running off track more each day. Anyone think it's a coincidence Jose Baez completed his undergraduate work at good ol Florida State in 1997 while Miss Sally has been on the faculty since 1970? things that make you go hmmmmm......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today should be the last day for the defense to present its case-yipeeee! If I hear JB start a sentence with "aaaannnnndddddddddddd" one more time you all will hear me scream!

Back on topic-I couldn't even get through SK's credentials let alone her testimony so I came here to read what she had to say, looks like I didn't miss anything and many feel the same way my first impression was of her! :crazy:

Respectfully snipped and BBM....That's exactly the word I was looking for. Self promotion. This is how it came off to me too. Having skimmed and read a few of the posts in this thread, I can see that many of the opinions here lined up with mine, and probably with the jury's as well. I think her testimony was a big waste of time and I have a feeling that even the DT is scratching their heads over this one. :waitasec: MOO

But she made ica cry. Crying equals grief????????:loser: so in that respect it brought forward that ica truly only grieves for HERSELF. :maddening:

Strange to me that she mentioned *still* working with Dr. Charles Figley at FSU, however he's been at Tulane since 08. I studied under both Dr. Figley and his wife Kathleen at FSU and have never been taught that "grief" covers everything. That was just ridiculous and the good Dr. would be ashamed..

just moo

The big moment for me in her testimony was when she said she testified at Susan Smith's trial. Her psycho babble didn't help SS and I don't think it will ICA either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briankap
Back