Procedure and legal questions

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps. The ease of this evidence being introduced by the SA will, as I said in my original post, depend upon whether or not the defense can make and argue the potentially correct objection(s) to this move by the SA, which, as I said before, I'm not going to lay out here at WS for the defense and/or Casey's family to read. ;)

bolded by me...

Chezhire..
I worried about that too! Hopefully, that will be a no and better to put it to rest forever..here and now.

Would someone please tell me why Baez is taking depos of jail personnel....NOW? What do they have to do with Caylee's death and this case other than KC being in jail?

Shouldn't he be focusing on depos of family and friends?

Baez won't be ready for trial in Oct. It took him 27 months for his last case (Nilton Diaz) and even THEN he wasn't ready....imo! It's taken 8 months for him to START taking depos this time! :clap: great job!

He is doing it because he can. I find the fact that he waited so long to begin the onslaught of depositions, more of a surprise than the actual doing of these depo's.

The Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure delineate who can and cannot be deposed in preparation for trial.

We've seen that witnesses are placed into categories, when they are named as witnesses by either side.

These categories are important and govern among other things, whether or not they are "automatically deposable."

From Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure, Section 3.220, the multipart section which addresses pretrial discovery:

(A) The defendant may, without leave of court, take the deposition of any witness listed by the prosecutor as a Category A witness or listed by a co-defendant as a witness to be called at a joint trial or hearing. After receipt by the defendant of the Discovery Exhibit, the defendant may, without leave of court, take the deposition of any unlisted witness who may have information relevant to the offense charged. The prosecutor may, without leave of court, take the deposition of any witness listed by the defendant to be called at a trial or
hearing.
(B) No party may take the deposition of a witness listed by the prosecutor as a Category B witness except upon leave of court with good cause shown. In determining whether to allow a deposition, the court should consider the consequences to the defendant, the complexities of the issues involved, the complexity of the testimony of the witness (e.g., experts), and the other opportunities available to the defendant to discover the information sought by deposition.
(C) A witness listed by the prosecutor as a Category C witness shall not be subject to deposition unless the court determines that the witness should be listed in another category.

As to LE being subject to deposition by JB:

Still from section 3.220:

(5) Depositions of Law Enforcement Officers. Subject to the general provisions of subdivision (h)(1), law enforcement officers shall appear for deposition, without subpoena, upon written notice of taking deposition delivered at the address of the law enforcement agency or department, or an address designated by the law enforcement agency or department, five days prior to the date of the deposition. Law enforcement officers who fail to appear for deposition after being served notice are subject to contempt proceedings.

JB is within his rights to be deposing these correctional officers.
These witnesses most likely had direct dealings with Casey and were somehow involved with events such as her being told of the discovery of the body later identified as Caylee, or have other info which could be damaging or helpful to the defense. That is how they are connected with the death of the child. But that is not the standard to determine whether or not JB is allowed to go forward and depose.
The wisdom of who should or shouldn't be deposed is a whole other topic of stategy, but JB's actions are permissible.
If these JB expeditions were not proper in any way, shape or form, the State's Attorney's would not sit idly by.:wink:!
So that raises the question of, "What happens if the deposition is permissible but gets out of control, improper, or should not be going the route it is taking?":eek:

Then the prosecution can do this, under the Rules:

(1) Motion to Restrict Disclosure of Matters.

On a showing of good cause, the court shall at any time order that specified disclosures be restricted, deferred, or exempted from discovery, that certain matters not be inquired into, that the scope of the deposition be limited to certain matters, that a deposition be sealed and after being sealed be opened only by order of the court, or make such other order as is appropriate to protect a witness from harassment, unnecessary inconvenience, or invasion of privacy, including prohibiting the taking of a deposition. ...

Humble-Opinion:wolf:

Did KC's 'accident' lawyer, TM, ever receive permission to practise in Florida for this case? Anyone ever hear how his 'ammended' request was answered?

Would someone please tell me why Baez is taking depos of jail personnel....NOW? What do they have to do with Caylee's death and this case other than KC being in jail?

Shouldn't he be focusing on depos of family and friends?

Baez won't be ready for trial in Oct. It took him 27 months for his last case (Nilton Diaz) and even THEN he wasn't ready....imo! It's taken 8 months for him to START taking depos this time! :clap: great job!

If you were KC's defense lawyer, wouldn't you want to know what information, if any, her jail keepers had on her?

Did KC's 'accident' lawyer, TM, ever receive permission to practise in Florida for this case? Anyone ever hear how his 'ammended' request was answered?

I've been wondering the same. Didn't he have a status hearing on March 24 or so, with the California bar court? I haven't checked the docket to see whether his motion in Florida has been acted upon.

Under the Sunshine Law, is JB under the same obligation to release transcripts of these depositions he's taking, or do the rules differ for the defense?

Thanks much. I'm sure this question has been asked and answered dozens of times here already, but I swear I cannot find the posts. Again, thanks.

I am waiting on news/update on this question, too.

Under the Sunshine Law, is JB under the same obligation to release transcripts of these depositions he's taking, or do the rules differ for the defense?

Thanks much. I'm sure this question has been asked and answered dozens of times here already, but I swear I cannot find the posts. Again, thanks.

The sunshine law only applies to government agencies -- it was for sunshine in PUBLIC records in the possession of government agencies. Therefore records in the hands of a private attorney are not subject to a sunshine law request (and they are covered by attorney work product privilege perhaps.)

The sunshine law only applies to government agencies -- it was for sunshine in PUBLIC records in the possession of government agencies. Therefore records in the hands of a private attorney are not subject to a sunshine law request (and they are covered by attorney work product privilege perhaps.)

Thanks for the info on that. How about normal discovery. If JB intends to use something in the trial, he has to turn it over, correct. He can't do a "surprise" tactic and pull something out of his azz during the trial, correct?

I don't know ... good question! He filed an amended motion for Pro Hac Vice on or about March 13 ...

When does KC enter her plea? Is it at the begining of the trial or has she done so already?

Because I read the only way the defense can use insanity is if she pleads NOT GUILTY BY REASON OF INSANITY - but she will have to plea that and then the state will assign an evaluation to determine the insanity.

Am I wrong?

When does KC enter her plea? Is it at the begining of the trial or has she done so already?

Because I read the only way the defense can use insanity is if she pleads NOT GUILTY BY REASON OF INSANITY - but she will have to plea that and then the state will assign an evaluation to determine the insanity.

Am I wrong?

She's already entered a plea of NOT GUILTY. She did this with a written plea to the court shortly after being arrested.

She's already entered a plea of NOT GUILTY. She did this with a written plea to the court shortly after being arrested.

So can she change her plea? If not then the insanity defense theory should be dropped from discussion.

So can she change her plea? If not then the insanity defense theory should be dropped from discussion.

She has already entered a formal plea of "not guilty." Her attorneys, on her behalf, can file a "notice of insanity defense" at pretty much any point in the proceedings.

The thing is ... and I read this in an ABA position paper several years ago ... one can not "claim insanity", just as one can not "claim" syphilis. It is a medical diagnosis. It changes the entire case and subsequent proceedings. It, in effect, shifts the burden of proof. As there is no longer a need to prove that she did it by the State ... but from the defense, a need to prove that she was legally insane at the time.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes.../SEC027.HTM&Title=->2007->Ch0775->Section 027

Thanks for the info on that. How about normal discovery. If JB intends to use something in the trial, he has to turn it over, correct. He can't do a "surprise" tactic and pull something out of his azz during the trial, correct?

Ewwwww! Ecs, thank you kindly for that mental image of JB. :eek: LOL!

But I would also like to know the answer, please.

Her plea could be changed before the trial. However I doubt JB is headed in the direction of an insanity defense.

IMO

Thank you so much. May I also ask just one more question: Is the defense bound by the same discovery rules that apply to the prosecution?

Exactly. There's no trial by ambush allowed! You can bet the SA would object on the grounds of JBaez's failure to provide whatever it is within the discovery delays prior to trial, and the judge would grant the SA's motion/objection to any such item's attempted introduction into evidence.

More LEGAL QUESTIONS:

1. If Baez is obligated to keep confidential "privileged" communication information about physical evidence like the location of Caylee's body, what about P.I. Casey?

If P.I. Casey found Caylee and did not remove or tamper with anything was he legally obligated to report his find?

If P.I. Casey didn't find Caylee because of a random tip from a psychic but got the location from one of the Anthony's would that change his obligation?

2. Is there any way that Lee could officially be made an agent for Baez like a secretary or assistant?

I think Cindy and George knew before P.I. Casey was sent to Suburban to look for Caylee that Caylee was dead. Baez's objection to P.I. Casey being subpoenaed was that he had information that was privileged work product. P.I. Casey was allowed to go off the record when talking about the person who told him not to call 911 if he found Caylee.

John Morgan said Lee told P.I. Casey. I don't know how it is possible for information coming from Lee to be privileged.

But I also can't imagine Baez telling P.I. Casey to not call 911 if he found Caylee.

I need some legal input to understand how this information fits together.

Thanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member