Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I want to express my appreciation to you and all of the others who are taking the time to share excerpts from the book.

Secondly, am I remember correctly that somewhere upthread JA was very concerned about a video being retrieved from the camera? Could this by why?

That was my first thought too. Makes much more sense than her worrying about a sex video.

He includes just 2 photos of Arias.

One is her smiling mugshot, the other is captioned "looking at TA's family as the jury is seated during aggravation phase. "

This man is a master of much, including the art of subtlety.

Someone else will have to post about chapter 17. It is all Horn and autopsy and wounds and violence and I won't read it, much less write about it.

I still don't get who Ann Campbell was. Why would she be at pre-trial conferences? MDLR's predecessor?

But now I get it why the note in the magazines. JA also told ALV it was computer *advertiser censored*. Was that after MM told JA's attorneys "the wrong thing"? Or did JA compound the eff-up?

Ann Campbell was a friend of Donavan Bering. Both were interviewed on several MSM shows and either one or both sat with JA's family @ trial. From ABC News:
The two Phoenix women say they have been supporting Arias since 2008 when she first arrived at the Estrella Jail in Phoenix. Bering got to know Arias well while incarcerated on an accessory to arson charge. She asked her friend Campbell to visit Arias, too, because Arias' family was out of state. Campbell said, "We hit it off right away. She's very nice and funny. And really articulate."

Their growing friendship continued after Bering was released from jail. Now, they say, they speak to Arias by phone daily and visit often. Bering has been in court nearly every day.
abc_arias_friends_mi_130220_wg.jpg

Sorry, am stuck on the reality she held onto the camera the whole time. Why? If she then deleted everything and left the camera?

Could she have taken the time to transfer the pics and video first to keep as a trophy?

Could this be any more evil????

Taking a break....feeling on the verge of tears. I hate having in my mind the image of her in that hallway and how much Travis suffered and knowing so certainly that his life meant less than nothing to that evil empty thing.

My thanks to all posting snippets and insights. I can't afford to buy this and the library already has 16 holds so it will be quite a while until I can get my hands on it.

Off topic.....What is it with the ads on this page? My forum screen is surrounded 2 ads deep with ads for an intimate product that I'd never use. They're blinking and refreshing and popping up and animated.....
I don't know but those ads take forever to load
on my pc. Every time I go to another thread or page it takes forever waiting for them to load. This is the only website that I have this problem with.

OK. End of chapter 17 moves past Horn.

JM critiques Nurmi's strategy as he explains his own.

1. Thinks Nurmi's single minded focus on sex and destroying TA's character, repeated with each witness, cost him the opportunity to lay a foundation for the narrative of self-defense.

2. Nurmi opened the door to JM bringing in her stalking behavior by bringing the subject up when Mimi was on the stand.

3. JM explains his stealth strategy of laying the foundation for bringing in the gas can receipt,3rd gas can evidence which he was withholding until his cross of the killer. DB on cross would be when he first brought in the 2 gas cans. Flores still didn't know about this evidence.

4. JM wondered why Nurmi was so interested in her bank deposits... to him they just helped with the timeline. Because of his focus, Nurmi remained oblivious to where JM was going with the receipts.

End of 17, Leslie Udy on the stand, JM asks her about the calls the killer made to her on June 10 and 11, telling Udy she had lost her best friend and didn't know what to do.

" Udy's testimony helped unveil the deceitfulness that was Jodi Arias ,someone who would even manipulate her own friend in her friend's time of grief."

Chapter 18. The defense opens and.....calls Gus, which JM finds strange since Gus doesnt have much of anything to contribute other than telling the jury the killer was the kinda gal who felt comfortable spending the night in a virtual stranger's motorhome.

And.. I get the feeling JM doesn't believe for one minute that Gus and the killer had a plutonic relationship.

Mostly JM is just on pins and needles waiting for DB to take the stand, keeps his Gus cross short to make sure there's time that afternoon for DB to testify.

It's a great chapter, one of the best. JM's writing of his cross of DB, his satisfaction that he was going to be using one of the DT's own witnesses to destroy the killer's defense, and the fact Nurmi seemed to have missed the significance of most if not all of JM's gas can related questions.

JM seems sincerely somewhat stunned that Nurmi's redirect was so vulgar, so focused on sex sex sex, and so oblivious to those gas cans...

Best snark in chapter....

DB raves about what an outstanding waitress was the killer.

JM: "His answers made me wonder whether she had acquired her bad waitressing habits, documented at Mimi's Cafe, P.F. Changs and the Purple Plum, more recently."

Best snark in chapter....

DB raves about what an outstanding waitress was the killer.

JM: "His answers made me wonder whether she had acquired her bad waitressing habits, documented at Mimi's Cafe, P.F. Changs and the Purple Plum, more recently."

Oh I bet she was always a terrible waitress, others satisfaction and/or comfort was never a priority.

I finished reading the book last night/early morn. I have the utmost respect for Juan! The book was fantastic but I want more...... more info regarding the hissy fit CMJA had during the trial, more info about the actions of MDR, more insight into some of the shenanigans in the courtroom with spectators and jurors. I guess Juan would not be the person to get into these kind of topics so who will write the next book??

Did JM mention any of the going ons in the Judge's chambers? Or sidebars?

Remember, we were all wondering what the heck was happening in there, and TA's family having to
be in the same room as JA, aka 'the killer' ...

Chapter 19. The sliming of Travis begins full force.

Gives a brief synopsis of each witness' testimony, Lisa, Desiree, Dan F., Dworkin and Nuimister, and what he perceived to be the weaknesses in JW's questions/focus.

He spends the most time on Dworkin and (ggrrr..timed out and lost paragraph).

and on YouTube videos watched early June 4. First time I've sensed an edge in what he has written about the defense. he says JW deliberately try to leave the impression for the jury that the photos of penises she brought in right afterwards for Dworkin to comment upon were on Travis's computer, not the killers.

JM believes that what she was trying to suggest was that Travis was masturbating to p-orn on his computer and taking photos of his own penis.

What was obvious to jm was that JW didn't remember that her own witness had told flores she had watched those videos with travis on june fourth.

Because jm had the photos of the penises excluded, what was never introduced was that the photos were of 2 different penises, definitely so because there were measurements of each on the photos , and the measurements were different.

Could she have 'borrowed' the adult diapers possibly from her grandparents? A lot of older folks use them. The grandparents would not notice a few gone, espicially over a month.

It might not have occurred to JA that IIRC Nowak had the NASA-issue variety. They are more robust. Jodi was drinking a strawberry frappuchino besprinkled with skateboarders and upside-down license plates as she took to the road.... Standard-issue diapers may have required reinforcing.

The diaper thing actually makes more sense to me than the "she peed in the woods" possibility. The latter is just not her thing. Plus, that's complicated when you're on an interstate. She could have peed in the car, but she'd still have had to stop someplace and risk being photo-ed.

And Jodi would have copied a Nowak detail because she's not good at coming up with logistics stuff herself. And Nowak went 900 miles or so? That would have been attractive to Jodi.

it was only after the exclusion of the photos that JW acknowledged the photos had been found on the killer's hard drive, not on Travis's computer.

The chapter ends with Nurmi about to put the killer on the stand, with no prior notice provided to JM.

If Jodi covered her shoes with socks—as per the new photo—that would speak to premeditation. There's no really convincing excuse for covering shoes with socks......

Do we know why that photo wasn't used in the trials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove