Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was one of her biggest mistakes. She could have bought 3 gas cans at 3 different hardware stores and no one would have been any the wiser. She could have bought a different gun too, at a gun show where there are no records.

Agree. Just sheer stupidity to steal the gun and bring attention to it. A gun show at Vegas would have done fine to pickup a cheap gun.

And returning something like a gas can is stupid because it would also bring attention since anything like that where fluid would make it "used" is likely to become more of a scene when trying to return it. Walmart maybe good at returns but when you try to return something like that I could see it becoming a scene since Walmart would likely have to throw it away since gas was poured into it and Walmart doesn't know what the person fluid would have been put in it.

Even if she would have just not returned it would have been better than trying to return it which just brings more attention.

Things like this were really stupid which is surprising she would do things like this since she carefully planned other things.

She was being manipulative: she didn't call DB back because she thought he'd back off his inquisitiveness —give him a little time to cool his heels—or she'd flirt him into compliance. She evidently didn't get the memo that says, "When you create a fuss, people remember, especially when you're not making sense." I'm sure she never anticipated DB would remember detail from the conversation.

(This time I remembered to quote you. Coffee sure helps.)

I think she took DB's compliance for granted. She believed she only had to snap her fingers, which might explain why she got pissy when he dared to ask questions. I imagine the second call was meant simply as a reminder. Like many here, I wonder if she had something on him that she could happily use against him.

That probably would be a waste of your time, lol, since I tend to be all over the place trying to hammer down that kind of detail securely enough that it doesn't go flying away with the next gust of new info. ;)

FWIW, she didn't have any other piece of written correspondence from TA. She did have 2 of his journals so she didn't need the note to study his handwriting.

The one new bit of info along those lines is that LE found TA's last journal in his car. Perhaps that's why she didn't steal it too.

Did LE find the two missing journals?

P 175. Nurmi.

In part of section in which JM explains his strategy to blunt what he anticipates will be the DT's focus on TA, not her, as the sexual aggressor.

Ryan Burns is being interviewed by Nurmi, JM is sitting in. This is subtle stuff. JM has said earlier that he didn't use a tape recorder OR take notes when he did his own interviews, because the taping might inhibit the interviewee, and note-taking might make him miss something important .

So, the first thing he says about Nurmi besides that he was a "hulking man" is that Nurmi has both a tape recorder AND a notepad in front of him, lol.

What JM also says is that he (as in, not Nurmi) thanked Burns twice for making himself available,at beginning and end of the interview.

Gentle and subtle references, but revealing nonetheless about Nurmi's style.

Her turn at pro per would be worth paying to see.

Not just the golf pencil which she had to keep sharpening, but her total cluelessness, including beginning to ask questions of her stooge fellow Estrellian inmate before she was even sworn in.

Despite prior coaching her stooge responded with wrong answers to almost every question about the codes and magazines.

JM shredded the stooge.

The killer took advantage of playing at being an attorney, though, and had Deanna kicked out of the courtroom because the told JS that she intended to call Deanna as a witness later on.

I wonder if she was ever aware how transparent her childish hostility to Deanna was. She never missed an opportunity, no matter how low or petty, to get in a dig at her. Takes me back to, oh, the fifth grade or so.

I still don't get who Ann Campbell was. Why would she be at pre-trial conferences? MDLR's predecessor?

But now I get it why the note in the magazines. JA also told ALV it was computer *advertiser censored*. Was that after MM told JA's attorneys "the wrong thing"? Or did JA compound the eff-up?

Ann is an Estrella alum and killer buddy.

One thing I had considered about the stolen gun was maybe she had planned to put it back and no one would notice it was missing. Like the returned gas can. Im sure we discussed that already many times as a possibility.

But even if that was the original plan then when LE got involved with the reported theft then she should have never used that same gun.

P 175. Nurmi.

In part of section in which JM explains his strategy to blunt what he anticipates will be the DT's focus on TA, not her, as the sexual aggressor.

Ryan Burns is being interviewed by Nurmi, JM is sitting in. This is subtle stuff. JM has said earlier that he didn't use a tape recorder OR take notes when he did his own interviews, because the taping might inhibit the interviewee, and note-taking might make him miss something important .

So, the first thing he says about Nurmi besides that he was a "hulking man" is that Nurmi has both a tape recorder AND a notepad in front of him, lol.

What JM also says is that he (as in, not Nurmi) thanked Burns twice for making himself available,at beginning and end of the interview.

Gentle and subtle references, but revealing nonetheless about Nurmi's style.

JM did tape ALV though: he'd play back stuff in court....and was very clear like, "Didn't you say, when you talked to me in my office, before trial started......" Do you remember that"?
Is an interview different from a deposition?

One thing I had considered about the stolen gun was maybe she had planned to put it back and no one would notice it was missing. Like the returned gas can. Im sure we discussed that already many times as a possibility.

But even if that was the original plan then when LE got involved with the reported theft then she should have never used that same gun.

Stupid is as stupid does.

She dyed her hair by 2:12pm June 3.

JM seems to think most likely after breakfast with DB and her trip to the bank at 10:15, during a 4 hour gap before the selfies in car were taken at 2:12.

The next documented stop was WalMart in Salinas at 3:25pm.

JM did tape ALV though: he'd play back stuff in court....and was very clear like, "Didn't you say, when you talked to me in my office, before trial started......" Do you remember that"?
Is an interview different from a deposition?

Yes...Depos are always taped.

She dyed her hair by 2:12pm June 3.

JM seems to think most likely after breakfast with DB and her trip to the bank at 10:15, during a 4 hour gap before the selfies in car were taken at 2:12.

The next documented stop was WalMart in Salinas at 3:25pm.

She spent the 1+ hour between hairdo and Walmart admiring herself in the mirror?

JM doesn't deviate from the June 4 timeline he laid out at trial, largely based on photo timestamps.

BTW, one of the photos in his book is of those photo CD's she brought along.

One is clearly labelled "T-Dogg's pictures of NM trip, balloon fiesta, himself, and much much more, "with little hearts drawn all over the CD.

What were the pics she posted in his name on a new Flickr account on June 3?

ETA- she texted TA specifically about those pics, iirc, in May, asking him if he had them.

One thing I took from the book was just how incredibly disciplined Juan Martinez is, which, although it was already evident from watching him at trial, became more pronounced with this behind the scenes look into the mind of Martinez. From the descriptions of how he would never eat or drink at his desk, even a sip of water, because he didn't want to soil the paperwork or his clothing, to how he would not engage in conversation with Flores while court was in session to ensure they would not be overheard by the microphones, to the fact that he went over each transcript and listened to the audio recordings to ensure that everything was transcribed correctly, and his decision early on regarding how he was going to cross examine someone as slippery as Jodi, speaks to the precision with which he approached everything in this case. Very, very impressive. Maricopa County is fortunate to have someone like him.

Absolutely.

He admitted on DP show that his style does sometimes make people get a little mad at him but we cant argue about its effectiveness and it works for him. His preparedness and work ethic he puts into his cases is amazing.

Contrast that with the defense team and I came away thinking that sometimes the defense was "winging it" during questioning. The defense did put it some work but it sometimes came across more as delay tactics and things they thought about during the trial rather than beforehand. Lots of filing motions which were done on the fly and seemed to be stalling tactics.

I always got the sense the DT position was to delay as much as possible with the hopes that something could come up to get the case thrown out. At times it seemed headed that way. Luckily Juan stuck with it and got the job done.

Off topic.....What is it with the ads on this page? My forum screen is surrounded 2 ads deep with ads for an intimate product that I'd never use. They're blinking and refreshing and popping up and animated.....

JM chose Leslie Udy as his last witness for case in chief (a deviation for him about predetermining witness order) because of the powerful impression he thought it would leave on jurors to hear of the killer talking sentimentally about a future Travis a day after she had brutally slaughtered the man.

JM doesn't deviate from the June 4 timeline he laid out at trial, largely based on photo timestamps.

BTW, one of the photos in his book is of those photo CD's she brought along.

One is clearly labelled "T-Dogg's pictures of NM trip, balloon fiesta, himself, and much much more, "with little hearts drawn all over the CD.

What were the pics she posted in his name on a new Flickr account on June 3?

ETA- she texted TA specifically about those pics, iirc, in May, asking him if he had them.

Bringing along the CD's would be another sign of premeditation. Why else would she bring them in the car unless she was planning on going to Mesa? How did LE know that was the CD she took along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak