Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that always confused me was the timing of the tire slashing. Juan says he discovered a police report that Travis had made in February 2008 about his tires being slashed in front of his house. Then Juan learns from Flores that his tires were slashed on consecutive nights.

According to the text messages on Beth Karas's site, Travis texted a friend on December 7, 2007 that his tires have been slashed twice in two days and judging by his texts with Lisa, this happened at her house. In February 2008 he texts a friend that his tires have been slashed for the third time in two months.

Not sure how important this is, it's just confusing.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I just had a thought on that one. If one of the investigators had called and gotten information on such, it would have had to have been turned over for evidence as disclosure and discovery?

If it's a prosecutor that just " made a phone call".. Would that have to be turned over for discovery to the defense team as to such discovery ?

Is this "behind the scenes" why he is so proud of that third gas can, and how it was a * surprise * at the trial when they put that up and she lied about it.

If it had not been given to defense with discovery that phone call was made... that sure would be something he kept under wraps for 4 years. Is the big deal he is talking about is that phone call, and knowledge, was never made knowledgeable to the defense team ? Nurmi and Wilmont were therefore blindsided? (like the magazine ?)

:thinking:

It appeared during the trial they were very surprised re gas can

Interesting thought. I think I know what you mean. Lets suppose Juan figures something interesting out like that on his own. And lets say he is still figuring things out like that.
Then at some point he would have to turn over discovery. But he is still figuring things out and doing research. So at some point he can make a conclusion and use it in his case.
Only he can decide when his research is complete about that. He could find even more for all he knows.

I dont think he would have to turn over discovery until he feels he is ready to use it in his case and he has figured everything out. He himself doesn't know how much more he may find so he keeps digging and preparing his case.

It brings up some legal questions that I have no idea how and when things like that have to be turned over.

Its a good point you bring up about things like this. Because if LE had been the ones to determine that then I would have to agree it would have had to be turned over right away but since Juan figured things out and he is still digging then whos to say when he is done researching. Very interesting subject.

The book is good. From the chapter on Flores interrogating her: "'I can't' she said in her best B-actress angst." :giggle:

Oooohhhh. That is exactly the kind of detail about his trial prep I want to know about. :)

Still waiting for my mailman, but saw that Amazon now has its free peep of the book going, and read the prologue.

I love his completely accurate and eloquent take --and slapdown- that he could easily imagine her dreaming big but living the life of a bad waitress at a Purple Plum dive, definitely implying that anything more than that she ever did or had was the result of parasitic attachment. :)

I can just see you tackling him as he nears your door!

JA put the 1,000 places book on the nightstand as a final coup de grace?

The more we've learned about the sadistic evil twisted mind of this witch the more I marvel how apt TA's description of her was on May 26.

He wasn't pelting her with insults, he was telling her that her mask was off and he now clearly saw her as the vile, pure evil, corrupted carcass she is.

How intolerable for her it must have been to hear someone tell her the truth of what she is.

Thanks for the info. I ordered the hard cover and it will come in today's mail. Unfortunately, we tend to get our delivery between 6-7 PM and even the next day when the roads are messed up, which they are!

As for the gas can research... IMHO Juan got a light-bulb moment and followed through. I'm sure Flores and the other investigators got all the receipts for him and did the WalMart research. I'm betting that when the prosecution handed over the receipts to the defense, they didn't bother telling them the research they had done!

Yes. Juan looked through the receipts gathered by detectives. Then he told NG that he personally called Walmart to identify the items purchased

Interesting thought. I think I know what you mean. Lets suppose Juan figures something interesting out like that on his own. And lets say he is still figuring things out like that.
Then at some point he would have to turn over discovery. But he is still figuring things out and doing research. So at some point he can make a conclusion and use it in his case.
Only he can decide when his research is complete about that. He could find even more for all he knows.

I dont think he would have to turn over discovery until he feels he is ready to use it in his case and he has figured everything out. He himself doesn't know how much more he may find so he keeps digging and preparing his case.

It brings up some legal questions that I have no idea how and when things like that have to be turned over.

Its a good point you bring up about things like this. Because if LE had been the ones to determine that then I would have to agree it would have had to be turned over right away but since Juan figured things out and he is still digging then whos to say when he is done researching. Very interesting subject.

Shout out to AZL to answer ? If she doesn't respond, perhaps a post for the legal thread in the next day there in the legal question thread ? This interests me just to learn more about legal !

Thank you for the feedback on my post!

One thing that always confused me was the timing of the tire slashing. Juan says he discovered a police report that Travis had made in February 2008 about his tires being slashed in front of his house. Then Juan learns from Flores that his tires were slashed on consecutive nights.

According to the text messages on Beth Karas's site, Travis texted a friend on December 7, 2007 that his tires have been slashed twice in two days and judging by his texts with Lisa, this happened at her house. In February 2008 he texts a friend that his tires have been slashed for the third time in two months.

Not sure how important this is, it's just confusing.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

His were slashed twice, on consecutive nights in December, then Lisa's were slashed in February.

I can't resist giving you all a taste of what a good read the book is--but no spoilers!. I don't think this quotation will violate copyright.

From Chapter 7, when JA is about to offer the ninja baloney:

"They didn't say," Arias repeated in a faint voice.
"He didn't say?"
"They"
And with that, Arias had the beginnings of her second story [ . . .] it wasn't her committing the crime, it was "they." [. . .]
"Yeah." She paused, patting tears from here eyes. "Is there any way I can see those pictures?" It was a telling moment of lucidity during a moment that at least superficially appeared emotional, and it was a strategy of hers that I would encounter later on. Even in the midst of crafting this new story, she had not lost sight of her true aim--the crime scene photos and how they could enable her to fabricate a story that matched the events depicted in the photographs.

I wish we were all in the same room reading the book together!!

My mailman is late!!!!! Does USPS not know that this is a very important documnet to WS team? I guess they do not know...:waiting:

The thing is, the prosecution has to turn over all the evidence to the defense. They don't have to tell the defense their conclusions (work product?). Also, the prosecution sends the defense a list of witnesses. Someone on the defense team seems to have ignored the WalMart people. That's their problem.

The prologue is JM speaking about the day of sentencing. Seven years of this case coming to an end. Said he'd prosecuted 181 jury trials. 72 of those were for murder and he'd never seen a defendant who was as calculating as Jodi who was now standing before the judge

Its no wonder we all became fascinated with this case. She truly is one of a kind.

Here's a little something that is new to me:

"Though Arias had only met Ryan once, Angela recalled Jodi telling her how much she liked him, that he was her 'soul mate,' and that she was convinced the two would get married" (Chapter 9).

Is this new info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member