Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page 155. Postcards and index cards.

JM is trying to figure out the Bob White pedo letters he is certain are forgeries. He thinks, and then he calls Estrella to ask whether or not staff there have found any contra band in her cell. Yep. He drives right over.

The intelligence officer hands JM a stack of 50 postcards that had been sent to her, all had the top layer of paper peeled off which is why they were seized as contraband. Going through the cards JM found a number of index cards as well. Only one had writing on it, the "just so you know...followed you.....*advertiser censored*" message.

Estrella folks could not explain how the cards had been smuggled/brought in to her cell.

Hi my friends. Sure have missed ya'll :loveyou:

I've been very busy with family matters lately so haven't been here in quite a while but wanted to post that Juan is teased to be coming on Fox's Kelly File tonight (later repeat show)!!. Please disregard if already posted. Look forward to getting back here in the near future.

Finished the book. Skipped some chapters (ie, Chapter on Nurmi's direct examination of JA. Still cannot handle that one). Beautifully written. Love Juan Martinez!
I was making notes on my wordpad as I was reading, then a storm came, my electricity went out, lost all notes. :(

Learned some new information, but not too much.

Off the top of my head:
-JM thinks Mimi is the reason she planned the murder.

-I liked the way JM calculated the need for all 3 gas cans for her murder trip.
I still question why she filled all 3 cans in Utah. Police didn't find those cans in Yreka. Where are they? Did she go to Monterey area from Sparks? A full tank in her rental car and 3 full gas cans will allow that trip.

-We can safely continue to debate the timeline on June 4th.

-JA purchased over-the-counter medicines and water from CVS on June 3rd.

Hi my friends. Sure have missed ya'll :loveyou:

I've been very busy with family matters lately so haven't been here in quite a while but wanted to post that Juan is teased to be coming on Fox's Kelly File tonight (later repeat show)!!. Please disregard if already posted. Look forward to getting back here in the near future.

Please do come back soon! I've missed hearing your insights about the . :)

I'm totally with you on this analysis. That's what I thought it was: his foot. I didn't think of a space between his big toe and the next one, but maybe. I'm thinking it might be a bleeb in the light cast or even a speck on the lens?

Hopefully this will be allowed since it's just a bigger pic of what we've already seen from numerous sources... this one is from JM's book. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/006...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2230154002&pf_rd_i=916520

TAdragged2b.jpg

For reference, here's a couple pics of the bathroom cabinets/vanity from the crime scene pics, I'm thinking, based on the lack of bleaching on some of the items in the washing machine(and what we can see under the sink in these pics), that perhaps the smell of bleach was from JA using the cleaning sprays, the one missing brown towel from just outside the toilet cubicle, and the messed up brownish t-shirt to mop/clean up with and did not actually dump laundry bleach in the whole wash.

Oh and the bullet casing was found right by that door stop in the second pic, just under the opened cabinet/vanity door.

TAbathcabinet.jpgTAbathcabinet2.jpg

Page 155. Postcards and index cards.

JM is trying to figure out the Bob White pedo letters he is certain are forgeries. He thinks, and then he calls Estrella to ask whether or not staff there have found any contra band in her cell. Yep. He drives right over.

The intelligence officer hands JM a stack of 50 postcards that had been sent to her, all had the top layer of paper peeled off which is why they were seized as contraband. Going through the cards JM found a number of index cards as well. Only one had writing on it, the "just so you know...followed you.....*advertiser censored*" message.

Estrella folks could not explain how the cards had been smuggled/brought in to her cell.

Re BBM
JA getting creative in jail quickly back then. If I understand that then what it means is she meticulously peeled the outer most layer of the postcard itself to expose a blank white writing surface so she could use it as writing paper.

This is how she probably practiced over and over his hand writing. I am guessing she also used to write notes to give to her DT visitors who would then bring them out of the jail to share with her fans or relatives.

There is one particular DT visitor that I would expect to help her with things like that. Well 2 or 3 for that matter. LOL

I find it amazing about peeling off the outer most layer of the postcard. The shiny waxy printed images on a postcard is probably the layer they are talking about. Trying to peel that off to leave a blank writing surface would have to be a tough job and would require some sort of sharp edge like an exacto blade or something. Maybe she could use her sharp finger nails to do it.

No matter how she did it. Imagine how many hours it took her to prepare all those index cards like that. This is just the sort of thing prisoners learn to do with all that time on their hands. With JA she learned quickly. She has proven to us in those early jail days that she is going to break the rules.

And now she is currently in some sort of lockdown for over 30 days for some phone infraction.

I am willing to bet that she will continue to break rules and constantly get in trouble there. I do not think she will ever stop her sneaky behavior. The staff there will always have to keep a close eye on her. Its good they were warned about her from the start.

She is very dangerous to this day and whatever schemes she will come up with could end up causing another death either to another inmate or to someone on the outside. I hope her funds stay low so she doesn't have enough money to bribe someone to hurt someone on the outside or inside.

Maybe someday she will stop her devious ways but I just don't see it happening for a long time if ever.

You can see light between his big toe and second so I don't think there's a sock on it. At least with this pic it's clear it is a foot, there's even a shadow under it, it's one of the reason's JM said during trial he thought T was dead by then, the position of his foot. But I don't think she could get his head up that high just by pulling on his arm, still requires more study.

I'm not clear when exactly, in the sequence of events, this photo was taken. It's in the bathroom, but before Travis' throat was slit? After that they're headed down the hallway and she drags him back?

I thought the other photo with the pant leg was after the episode in the hallway and his throat was slit. If before, it's gotta mean that the events unfolded over a longer extent of time (in terms of elapsed seconds) than was originally calculated?

'Cos it doesn't seem as though Travis' throat was slit in this photo, which means it wasn't slit in the other similar photo either.

On a related but not this moment on topic thought. JA wondered what happened to the video from the scene, right? Or at least she mumbled something about a video to EF in the interrogation? Around about when he was bringing up the photos? That had to mean she wasn't certain of the whereabouts of the video. So, where is the video?

I don't think, for Jodi, the sex photos represent a moment that was all about the sex. IMO Jodi was using that scene to experiment with the camera, which she had never used before. She was getting practice in all the possibilities. I'm guessing that's why the photos seem so poorly taken. The purpose was not good shots: it was to see what worked and what didn't to meet her purposes.

The sex on the murder day was about becoming familiar with the camera: TA's new precious toy that he hadn't allowed her to be part of selecting, even though she felt she was "expert" in camera technology because, after all, she was a "photographer".

Hope this isn't going to spoil someone's read.

I'm only starting chapter 12, but I now realize that Juan is unique. When he hits a stone wall, he doesn't do as many do, he changes direction in a number of ways.

When the defense announced it was claiming self-defense, Juan felt, "if only for just a minute" that "it felt as though I was standing on a lunar landscape, pock-marked with gaping craters having been shipwrecked there with no was of returning back to Earth..." (page 122) There had been no police investigation of abuse.

Instead of trying to build a prosecution which would prove Travis didn't abuse JA, he moved in a totally different direction. It began with the gas cans. The gas cans and the receipts, along with the WalMart gas can, moved him into the prosecution based on premeditation big-time! That led to Darryl's interview with the 1st defense team where he mentioned JA had said she was going to Mesa.

The next time I see this segue is in Chapter 12 where he looks to find a way to combat the messages between the two. "In order to counter the idea that Arias was simply a passive figure and Travis a constant sexual aggressor, I needed to move beyond the instant mssages and e-mails, which would always be open to interpretation for either side..." (p. 169)

He then decided to show that JA was aggressive herself. Again Darryl had described her as agressive, and so had Ryan Burns.

In other words, Juan didn't do what other attorneys might do. He looked beyond the problem material and looked for ways to deflate the defense in other arenas.

I'm sure there will be more.

How long before trial did he decide on this strategy?

ITA.

So I was just reading about Juan's visit to the jail, he went in order to view the pack index cards found in the killers cell. While there, he see's Anne Campbell there to visit the killer, and Anne grins at Juan. He mentions to officers that they (Arias and Campbell) are up to something no good, but he doesn't know what.

After Juan leaves the jail, he receives a phone call 5 minutes later and the officers at the jail ask him to retun. Upon his return, they show him a few magazines the killer requested to be given to Anne Campbell.

I am highly confident that Juan's comment to staff made the scrutiny of those materials more stringent ;)

GO JUAN!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Why would Juan be the one to call, in this instance, and not LE? Or does he have LE status?

They had never worked together before this case. JM makes clear they did indeed bond, and that he considered Flores a friend and an indispensable sounding board.

It really seemed to pain him that he withheld the gas can info from Flores, but he felt he couldn't take the risk of telling Flores and having the DT soliciting it somehow from Flores while he was on the stand.

What spoke to me most clearly about the strength of their bond was how JM described Flores' response after JM had solicited the info about gas cans from Brewer. He said he as he walked back to his seat Flores flashed him a grin (he wasn't offended or angry or whatever) and that he broke a cardinal rule of his own by allowing Flores to whisper in his ear- WTH? Wow!

And that was only the first step in the landscape of gas cans. I wonder how EF responded when JM rolled out the receipts?

I wish we could get all the side bars and Judge's chambers secrets....the secret testimony of the secret witness (:jail:)....just so much info. Will it ever be released or does one have to wait until all the felons appeals are over?

Doncha know? We're all still going to be on this board discussing the case when the sidebar secrets get released!

Why would Juan be the one to call, in this instance, and not LE? Or does he have LE status?
He was at the jail in preparation for the trial. Jail staff contacted him because he had just been there, investigating other aspects of prison material (pack of index cards) for trial. It is not odd or out of the ordinary to forward information like that to the prosecuting attorney - especially when he just shared a haunch with jail personnel about potential shenanigans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I have not purchased JM's book yet, but from the excerpts that I have read here, seems that the book is filled with too much hyperbole and similes for me. MOO

Similes can be masterful in the hands of a good storyteller. The wildebeest simile verges on the Homeric: somewhat exotic, a few close-up details, comes from nature, and easy for a listener to visualize. Very clever. JM used that simile in his closing for the Guilt Phase. Plus, even though it's exotic, it's very National Geographic and folks can easily conjure it up in their mind's eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79