Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page 155. Postcards and index cards.

JM is trying to figure out the Bob White pedo letters he is certain are forgeries. He thinks, and then he calls Estrella to ask whether or not staff there have found any contra band in her cell. Yep. He drives right over.

The intelligence officer hands JM a stack of 50 postcards that had been sent to her, all had the top layer of paper peeled off which is why they were seized as contraband. Going through the cards JM found a number of index cards as well. Only one had writing on it, the "just so you know...followed you.....*advertiser censored*" message.

Estrella folks could not explain how the cards had been smuggled/brought in to her cell.

Jodi's just so off...Why would she risk smuggling in index cards when she already had a large stash of peeled-down postcards?

Finished the book. Skipped some chapters (ie, Chapter on Nurmi's direct examination of JA. Still cannot handle that one). Beautifully written. Love Juan Martinez!
I was making notes on my wordpad as I was reading, then a storm came, my electricity went out, lost all notes. :(

Learned some new information, but not too much.

Off the top of my head:
-JM thinks Mimi is the reason she planned the murder.

-I liked the way JM calculated the need for all 3 gas cans for her murder trip.
I still question why she filled all 3 cans in Utah. Police didn't find those cans in Yreka. Where are they? Did she go to Monterey area from Sparks? A full tank in her rental car and 3 full gas cans will allow that trip.

-We can safely continue to debate the timeline on June 4th.

-JA purchased over-the-counter medicines and water from CVS on June 3rd.

What kind of medicines? Something that could disable Travis?

Re BBM
JA getting creative in jail quickly back then. If I understand that then what it means is she meticulously peeled the outer most layer of the postcard itself to expose a blank white writing surface so she could use it as writing paper.

This is how she probably practiced over and over his hand writing. I am guessing she also used to write notes to give to her DT visitors who would then bring them out of the jail to share with her fans or relatives.

There is one particular DT visitor that I would expect to help her with things like that. Well 2 or 3 for that matter. LOL

I find it amazing about peeling off the outer most layer of the postcard. The shiny waxy printed images on a postcard is probably the layer they are talking about. Trying to peel that off to leave a blank writing surface would have to be a tough job and would require some sort of sharp edge like an exacto blade or something. Maybe she could use her sharp finger nails to do it.

No matter how she did it. Imagine how many hours it took her to prepare all those index cards like that. This is just the sort of thing prisoners learn to do with all that time on their hands. With JA she learned quickly. She has proven to us in those early jail days that she is going to break the rules.

And now she is currently in some sort of lockdown for over 30 days for some phone infraction.

I am willing to bet that she will continue to break rules and constantly get in trouble there. I do not think she will ever stop her sneaky behavior. The staff there will always have to keep a close eye on her. Its good they were warned about her from the start.

She is very dangerous to this day and whatever schemes she will come up with could end up causing another death either to another inmate or to someone on the outside. I hope her funds stay low so she doesn't have enough money to bribe someone to hurt someone on the outside or inside.

Maybe someday she will stop her devious ways but I just don't see it happening for a long time if ever.

I'm guessing there could have been an inmate who was expert at peeling postcards. Maybe someone who had access to a blade of some sort? Then Jodi just hired the expert, paid off with commissary money, or, um, "favors"?

I have been avoiding ole JA since she went away, having made the decision that I would read Juan's book and then put her away forever. Scabby ole thang has had too much of my time as it is. :)

I was sick yesterday, and devoured more than half of the book, and I am very pleased that Juan's writing style seems to match his style of prosecution... direct, to the point, and not spending much time on irrelevant fluff.

As much as I know about this case it has been a pleasure to read up on it again through Juan's eyes.

I haven't read through all of these posts, and I don't want to bring any spoilers if it hasn't been discussed, but the story of his 'bombshell' alone has been worth the price of the book for me.

Good stuff, go Juan!

There is a picture just posted in the juan book thread
There's a different thread for the book? Can someone please post the link to that? I had thought THIS was the book thread. Thanks to whomever can help a girl out!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

On a related but not this moment on topic thought. JA wondered what happened to the video from the scene, right? Or at least she mumbled something about a video to EF in the interrogation? Around about when he was bringing up the photos? That had to mean she wasn't certain of the whereabouts of the video. So, where is the video?

They took both still photos and a video on the camera and then she erased them. Techs were able to recover the thumbnails of the still photos but not the video. Something about a video taking up so much space on the card. Det Flores says something about it on the interrogation video when he explains to Jodi how the were able to retrieve the photos.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Heh... I decided to re-listen to Daryls testimony, and Gus Searcy is up first on the youtube version I am currently listening to.
He's so gross, talking about how it's like the Superbowl, being invited to the PPL formal event, and how exciting it is for the women, that they GET to dress up, and the men HAVE to dress up, so it works out nicely for the women. Barf.

I loved the way Juan totally negated his purpose for being called, so that the defense started out extra pointlessly. I don't think Nurmi did any research on his opponent. At all.

Martinez was the perfect guy to put Arias away. Dedicated, sincere, thorough, patient. Intelligent with an agile mind, able to quickly chase her down when she would try to lead him and the jury down one of her endless, wordy trails. He studied the case, studied her, respected the victim, his family and the process. The right man for the job. Glad he answered the call to take this case even though it came 37 minutes after he was off the "on call" duty

Jodi's just so off...Why would she risk smuggling in index cards when she already had a large stash of peeled-down postcards?

Maybe because Travis used index cards daily, for his to-do lists, and his friends knew that he did. I think he even mentioned this habit of his in one of his blog entries.

There's a different thread for the book? Can someone please post the link to that? I had thought THIS was the book thread. Thanks to whomever can help a girl out!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I asked the same thing the other day . In that situation I came to find out that somebody had posted in the sidebar thread and the moderators had moved it to this thread, so it was confusing. Perhaps it was done again?

JM on the sex tape.

He writes TA sounded groggy in the beginning, "indicative of just being awakened from sleep."

That's interesting, especially since I know JM knows every detail of this case inside and out. Indicative of being woken up? That's not possible if the call happened on May 9-10.

We've looked at every minute of the timeline on those days. They argued about not-accidental texts, her not repaying him for his car, etc., they got off the phone and supposedly had a chat on MySpace, at the beginning of which his password was changed, and then went directly on to that sex call.

According to her own timeline, Travis had no opportunity to sleep and to have just woken up for that call.

Sorry, am stuck on the reality she held onto the camera the whole time. Why? If she then deleted everything and left the camera?

(respectfully snipped for brevity)

It always surprised me that this wasn't an idea put forward by Juan as a means to further dismantle the notion that Travis flew into a fit of rage because she dropped the camera, forcing Arias to kill him. (or maybe it was, and I missed it?)

The only way those photos could have been taken as she dragged him down the hall is if the camera were hanging around her neck. There is NO WAY she could have moved him while holding onto a camera.
In order to believe her story, we would have her drop a camera, then as Travis attacks her, she picks it up and slings it back around her neck to be in place to take those final photos.

My guess is that with all the other evidence it just wasn't necessary.

On the more humorous side about the tape, JM writes:

(As she approaches orgasm) " her whispering rises into what seems like an interminable streak as Travis quietly listens. "

Later: " they both reach orgasm at the same time with Arias screeching so loudly that she drowned out Travis's moans. As much as it seems like the recording should end, the sexual dialogue continues."

LOL.

(respectfully snipped for brevity)

It always surprised me that this wasn't an idea put forward by Juan as a means to further dismantle the notion that Travis flew into a fit of rage because she dropped the camera, forcing Arias to kill him. (or maybe it was, and I missed it?)

The only way those photos could have been taken as she dragged him down the hall is if the camera were hanging around her neck. There is NO WAY she could have moved him while holding onto a camera.
In order to believe her story, we would have her drop a camera, then as Travis attacks her, she picks it up and slings it back around her neck to be in place to take those final photos.

My guess is that with all the other evidence it just wasn't necessary.

Or maybe it was attached to her left wrist by a strap (not his, which was still in the box, unused).

JM believes that she wielded the knife in her right hand.

Or maybe it was attached to her left wrist by a strap (not his, which was still in the box, unused).

JM believes that she wielded the knife in her right hand.

Thanks for that, I missed the bit about the strap.
Based on the angles, maybe he had a black rapid strap (strap goes over the left shoulder, camera hangs lens down at the right hip). If she was bent over at the waist to grab him, knees bent, I can see camera hitting the floor while still attached to her and inadvertently taking those shots.

ETA... I just went through her MySpace photos and saw that she appeared to have used a wrist strap. And, being the expert photographer that she was, and knowing everything as she did, she probably insisted that Travis get a wrist strap too.

Thanks for that, I missed the bit about the strap.
Based on the angles, maybe he had a black rapid strap (strap goes over the left shoulder, camera hangs lens down at the right hip). If she was bent over at the waist to grab him, knees bent, I can see camera hitting the floor while still attached to her and inadvertently taking those shots.

ETA... I just went through her MySpace photos and saw that she appeared to have used a wrist strap. And, being the expert photographer that she was, and knowing everything as she did, she probably insisted that Travis get a wrist strap too.

But IIRC there was no strap on the camera or in the washer when it was recovered. Seems a strange thing to think about removing after you've slaughtered your obsession and done a hasty cleanup.

Do you remember the Maricopa County's office being flooded with calls from people with "important evidence" that Martinez needed to know? And remember he said thank you but he had everything they needed? That event sure has different meaning now. He truly had everything.

Who's hungry? Tonight it's smothered quail served on rice. Salad.
Sweet tea or homemade sangria
Went to the ranch last week and the quail hunting was fantastic

Bet Jodi has already choked down her slot served supper and washed it down with a lunchroom size carton of milk like kindergarteners get

Sounds great.

No prison food here, either. I made chicken piccata: thin cut chicken breast in lemon/white wine sauce with mushrooms, garlic, onions, and a few capers. Served with sauteed spinach and a small serving of angel hair pasta. Oh, and a nice buttery Chardonnay.

Choke on that, JA.

Good preparation for the rest of her life in a cell.
Not a chance. I'd live with Grammy and Gramps any time over prison. Come and go within reason. Hot showers anytime you want. Furniture not bolted to a wall....

In fact, I may take an extra shower tonight just because I can.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Good point. I've forgotten a lot. I can't decide if that's a bad thing or a good thing.
Either way, I'm just spinning my wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela