Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Such an interesting book, especially as it helped to explain to non-Americans how your court system works. I didn't hear about this trial until the time of second penalty phase so have probably missed loads, although I've tried to read all the old posts on here!

It was interesting in the book that Juan highlighted what was found in the rental car when she was arrested (the gun and knives). Any thoughts about where she was going? I got the impression he might've had some thoughts but didn't want to stray too much into unsubstantiated pondering.

Another kill mission- Mimi/Deanna/Lisa/The Hughes's

I don't really understand her thinking (I'm taking that as a good thing!) how on earth would she have thought another murder with her as the link between the victims wouldn't have come back to her.

(respectfully snipped for brevity)

It always surprised me that this wasn't an idea put forward by Juan as a means to further dismantle the notion that Travis flew into a fit of rage because she dropped the camera, forcing Arias to kill him. (or maybe it was, and I missed it?)

The only way those photos could have been taken as she dragged him down the hall is if the camera were hanging around her neck. There is NO WAY she could have moved him while holding onto a camera.
In order to believe her story, we would have her drop a camera, then as Travis attacks her, she picks it up and slings it back around her neck to be in place to take those final photos.

My guess is that with all the other evidence it just wasn't necessary.
I've always believed that the camera was around her neck, swinging from a strap, when it snapped the " dragging" photograph. iirc, the strap to his camera was found still newly folded up, however she could have used a strap from one of her cameras. I don't believe for one minute that the camera bounced from the bathroom to the hallway and back again, while being kicked on the floor. The camera was around her neck on a strap the whole time, imo. She removed the strap before tossing the camera in the washer and took it with her, disposing it along with the gun and knife somewhere in desert ( Hoover Dam area). Maybe she thought the strap would get entangled with the washer agitator and the machine would stop. This topic was discussed on the Unresolved Questions thread way back when. Strap or No Strap.

After listening to the interviews with JM where he talks about how pivotal the "three gas can" moment was, and how he saw JA's visage change dramatically in that moment, I was curious to go back and watch again. Been looking all day, but can't find it.

Does anyone have an idea of what day that occurred?

TIA

I think her only focus was on killing him and her rage. If she wanted a trophy photo she could have taken one of him dead. She didn't. And I don't see how the camera could have been videotaping if the inadvertent photos were individual shots, not stills from a video, which they apparently weren't.

BBM We don't know that she didn't take a trophy photo.......

I've decided I can't make any assumptions any more in this case....

[/B]

After listening to the interviews with JM where he talks about how pivotal the "three gas can" moment was, and how he saw JA's visage change dramatically in that moment, I was curious to go back and watch again. Been looking all day, but can't find it.

Does anyone have an idea of what day that occurred?

TIA

This is the day he got her. One of my favorite moment of the trial. Later on he would call Chelsea Young from Tesoro to put the final nail in the coffin.

*Start at 3:34:00*
[video=youtube;V-dIe_QIWZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-dIe_QIWZI[/video]

I've always believed that the camera was around her neck, swinging from a strap, when it snapped the " dragging" photograph. iirc, the strap to his camera was found still newly folded up, however she could have used a strap from one of her cameras. I don't believe for one minute that the camera bounced from the bathroom to the hallway and back again, while being kicked on the floor. The camera was around her neck on a strap the whole time, imo. She removed the strap before tossing the camera in the washer and took it with her, disposing it along with the gun and knife somewhere in desert ( Hoover Dam area). Maybe she thought the strap would get entangled with the washer agitator and the machine would stop. This topic was discussed on the Unresolved Questions thread way back when. Strap or No Strap.

But the camera was upside down on the floor when taking the pics. She's standing in the most incriminating one...so the strap had to have come off if she did use one

I'm not clear when exactly, in the sequence of events, this photo was taken. It's in the bathroom, but before Travis' throat was slit? After that they're headed down the hallway and she drags him back?

I thought the other photo with the pant leg was after the episode in the hallway and his throat was slit. If before, it's gotta mean that the events unfolded over a longer extent of time (in terms of elapsed seconds) than was originally calculated?

'Cos it doesn't seem as though Travis' throat was slit in this photo, which means it wasn't slit in the other similar photo either.

Well, he did have a stab wound just below the neck gash... I suppose that could account for the blood we can see dripping over his neck/shoulder. Though if he was already immobile in this pic(flat on his back with his right foot laying like he had no ability left to move his leg), I don't know how he would have managed to roll over and get down the hall to the bedroom to sustain the neck gash and then get dragged back. Just seems to make more sense that she had already pulled him back to the bathroom and had managed to turn him over to pull him into the shower cubicle, though sense doesn't seem to be a big part of JA's persona. The last inadvertent pic seems to me to be his upper body as she pulled/lifted it while getting him back to the shower. I wish I could id exactly where on that wall this occurred, that would help.

BBM We don't know that she didn't take a trophy photo.......

I've decided I can't make any assumptions any more in this case....

[/B]

I love different views on this case, keeps it interesting. We can't know if there were pics on HER camera, maybe she did have a trophy pic. Just sayin'. Just imagine the total boredom we would experience if we all felt the same, we all saw the same thing in pics, and we all agreed with every inch of evidence/non-evidence. I think each of us have sleuthed this case to hell and back, and no, we are never going to know everything. Keep on assuming, I for sure will!! :fence:

Don't know if I can post this - but if not - I'm sure it will be deleted! :D

I am getting my book next week and am willing to share with you all here if you don't want to pay for it. I'll make a list of people I already have sent a message to - since I saw their posts saying they wouldn't buy it!

So:

Sharing book with list:
1. RickshawFan
2. MistyM (but not confirmed yet)

That's it - just say you would like to read it - and I'll put you in the order of your posts!

:seeya:

But the camera was upside down on the floor when taking the pics. She's standing in the most incriminating one...so the strap had to have come off if she did use one

BBM - I would have to agree with this. What do you think of my red comments in this clearer pic of the ceiling inadvertent shot from JM's book?

TAcrimepicJMa.jpg

The one thing that was disappointing about Juan's book was that he didn't really discuss the second penalty phase trial at all. I would have loved to have heard his thoughts about Jodi wanting to testify in a closed courtroom and how he felt about the endless, pointless testimony about whether there was *advertiser censored* on Travis's computer. Juan says in the Vinnie Politan interview (a GREAT interview, BTW) was that in writing the book it was difficult to know how much he should include for fear of boring the reader (as if!) so maybe that's why he left it out.

The story he obviously wanted to tell was of her conviction. I imagine PP2 for him was just plain long and ugly and exhausting. And who knows, maybe he couldn't anyway because of that secret investigation going on.

I just listened to this and was ready to post it and I saw you already did. :cheer: It is a great interview and I love the way Juan gets to speak without interruption, just like Vinnie's interview. And.....it is different content from Vinnie's.

Hi Sedona, long time no see.. you doing alright? :seeya:

This is the day he got her. One of my favorite moment of the trial. Later on he would call Chelsea Young from Tesoro to put the final nail in the coffin.

*Start at 3:34:00*
[video=youtube;V-dIe_QIWZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-dIe_QIWZI[/video]

First off, THANK YOU! You're my hero of the day!

Secondly, looking at it now (through the lens of Juan's words), as soon as he brings up the three gas cans, a sidebar is called. While the attorneys talk, the camera remains fixed on JA. You can almost see her mind working, racing to find a way to explain that third gas can away. Priceless!

They took both still photos and a video on the camera and then she erased them. Techs were able to recover the thumbnails of the still photos but not the video. Something about a video taking up so much space on the card. Det Flores says something about it on the interrogation video when he explains to Jodi how the were able to retrieve the photos.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I'd like to know what all was on the cd in the office... that "much much more" that she labelled on it. Perhaps the video was actually on there, along with the playtime pics she claimed they hadn't deleted during their alleged 2 year tryst?

Well, he did have a stab wound just below the neck gash... I suppose that could account for the blood we can see dripping over his neck/shoulder. Though if he was already immobile in this pic(flat on his back with his right foot laying like he had no ability left to move his leg), I don't know how he would have managed to roll over and get down the hall to the bedroom to sustain the neck gash and then get dragged back. Just seems to make more sense that she had already pulled him back to the bathroom and had managed to turn him over to pull him into the shower cubicle, though sense doesn't seem to be a big part of JA's persona. The last inadvertent pic seems to me to be his upper body as she pulled/lifted it while getting him back to the shower. I wish I could id exactly where on that wall this occurred, that would help.

Would it be against the rules for someone to post the three inadvertent photos? The ones from the trial were very hard for me to see or understand...

TIA

Don't know if I can post this - but if not - I'm sure it will be deleted! :D

I am getting my book next week and am willing to share with you all here if you don't want to pay for it. I'll make a list of people I already have sent a message to - since I saw their posts saying they wouldn't buy it!

So:

Sharing book with list:
1. RickshawFan
2. MistyM (but not confirmed yet)

That's it - just say you would like to read it - and I'll put you in the order of your posts!

:seeya:

Well how sweet are you. That is such a nice and kind thing to do. This forum is so blessed to have people like you, after I share mine with family and friends I could do this too. :loveyou:

That is what I saw to begin with when the darker pic was in play "sock over shoe" but I'm still looking and a friend of mine who works with images is going to study it tonight.

Will be looking forward to your friend's views, CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper