Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think the confusion is that she said both. They made a video, and that she didn't know how to make a video, so they didn't make a video.

As to not knowing how, she specifically refers to not getting the timer right.

I think it's reasonable to assume that some video footage was shot, but it wasn't what they wanted, it was somewhat uncontrolled, inadvertent, and haphazard.

This covers both statements. "We shot a video." and "I didn't know how to shoot a video."

The timer comment was about taking pics. As in, couldn't set the timer to take pics of them doing the deed.

The confusion was hers alone. She lied about making a video, lied on the stand that they had made a video, then couldn't think fast enough the next day and told the truth. There was no video.

On that my mind won't change. I absolutely do not believe he would consent to make a sex video with her that day. I'm not positive they even had sex at all, and the more little clues come out the less I believe they did.

(latest clue- TA's journal found on the floor of his car in the garage. IMO she snuck it out to his car and read it as she waited for any and all rooomies to leave the house that AM).

ETA...OK. I'm slow-minded today. I see what you mean about how those 2 statements could both be considered true. JMO...still think the 1st was the lie and the 2nd was the truth.

f you check out the few minutes of video on day 25 when she says no video and see the expression on her face right afterwords, you might agree. :)

How would you feel if a woman you knew was unbalanced stopped at your house on the way to kill someone, asked you...for example, to help her find a way to prove TA had abused her, and then she called you 2 days later and told you she had tried that idea but he had responded by attacking her and she had to kill him in self defense?

Thing is, all of this is complete speculation, and subject to being shaped by one's subjective beliefs about what makes people tick.

The one thing Nurmi has ever said that struck me is what he said in his rambling book-- that he is quite sure that she would hsve received the DP if Matt had testified . Though being forced by JM to confess he'd forged the pedo letters might have been "all" that Nurmi was referring to.

I'd pay to see a tape of JM tearing Matt a new one. JM was invested in this case. When Deanna told him she had 21 original letters from Travis, JM hung up the phone, got in his car and drove five hours to Riverside, CA to pick them up personally.

She wrote a June 2-3 journal entry after the fact to establish a timeline, etc. The entry is available on juror 13's webpage, but a quick summary of the Matt portion-

She wrote she had met Matt and his friend Kareem at a specific restaurant (trying to remember which city), had tuna tartare, walked up the street a few blocks and sang karaoke, even naming the songs and how her singing was so powerful it changed the mood of everyone in the bar.

Meanwhile, as analyzed here awhile ago--of course, and in great depth :).....her whole story of that couldn't be true, start to finish.

To include , at the very time she is telling LE who she knows will be reading her journals what an incredible singer she is, a new account on Flikyr is opened using his name and photos of their travels are posted that Travis did not have in his possession.

Not that he would have been posting them anyway- why would he, and since iirc he was fairly involved text flirting about the same time.

Well that shows she didn't want LE to know she created the Flkr account, but since creating such an account can take as little as five to ten minutes, it doesn't implicate Matt in any kind of false alibi situation. She still could have spent 95% of the time she said she did with Matt and his friend changing atmospheres and still had a little time to herself to be a better Travis than Travis could be.

I'd pay to see a tape of JM tearing Matt a new one. JM was invested in this case. When Deanna told him she had 21 original letters from Travis, JM hung up the phone, got in his car and drove five hours to Riverside, CA to pick them up personally.
Ya gotta love the guy.

Well that shows she didn't want LE to know she created the Flkr account, but since creating such an account can take as little as five to ten minutes, it doesn't implicate Matt in any kind of false alibi situation. She still could have spent 95% of the time she said she did with Matt and his friend changing atmospheres and still had a little time to herself to be a better Travis than Travis could be.

Not given the time frame. We know the exact time the photos were uploaded, and she wrote in her journal when it was she was out about town with Matt.

Even being ambidextrous wouldn't have made it possible to hold a microphone in one hand and upload photos to her computer with the other. ;)

BTW...you know I've always appreciated your well-honed and written snarky humor, right?

Against my better judgement, JM's book has me sucked back into the details of the trial. Pfft!! :)

I wanted to listen to the day 25 cross examination that was posted on the previous thread, and figured what the heck, I'll listen to all three parts again.

The beginning of part one reminded me of how uncomfortable JM made me at the time, as he was trying to get Jodi to admit that Travis was uncomfortable with having the pictures taken in the shower, that she had to convince him, and that she had taken pictures of him shaving. Which she had not, that day, the bits of interview he was playing to show her lies were her actually talking about a previous encounter, that had occurred in January. She kept trying to tell him that her statements were relating to another day, and he would NOT let it go. She clearly says that she didn't like the shaving pictures, but he must have, as he used one as his Myspace profile pic. At the time, it seemed to me that he was just making an error, chasing the wrong point. It hurt me to listen to it. Now, with hindsight, all I can think is that he must have had another motive. He knows this case backwards and forwards, and there is NO WAY he would beat that horse without reason.

The possible reasons that I could come up with while listening this morning:

1) it was a good excuse to play and replay (and replay, and play one more time) the clip of her talking to EF, because she giggles and is just having a grand ole time talking about how he was uncomfortable being photographed in the shower, and 'felt gay'
2) He was just trying to amp up her argumentative superior nature to illustrate it for the jury.
3) He was hoping that, as an addendum to #2, that she would say something like 'That was obviously a different time, he couldn't have made it his profile pic that day because he was DEAD'

I'm sure this was discussed at length at the time, just curious about what you lovely folks think about that.

*I am just at the point in the book where he is talking about his approach to cross examining her. So if I am a page away from him addressing this in some way, please just tell me to chill out. :D

How would you feel if a woman you knew was unbalanced stopped at your house on the way to kill someone, asked you...for example, to help her find a way to prove TA had abused her, and then she called you 2 days later and told you she had tried that idea but he had responded by attacking her and she had to kill him in self defense?

Thing is, all of this is complete speculation, and subject to being shaped by one's subjective beliefs about what makes people tick.

The one thing Nurmi has ever said that struck me is what he said in his rambling book-- that he is quite sure that she would hsve received the DP if Matt had testified . Though being forced by JM to confess he'd forged the pedo letters might have been "all" that Nurmi was referring to.
I do think that's what Nurmi meant. They already didn't like her, framing a dead man with false pedo evidence to save your own skin would pretty much seal the deal.

I don't understand your question. The only advice I would give is to stay away from him, and if she insisted that she couldn't I might advise her to carry a voice activated recorder at all times and to call the police at the first sign of violence. The only way I'd feel responsible is if I advised her to go over there and kill him, and I wouldn't advise that.

OK. Day 24. 3 of 3. 37:18 on, about that video.

JM - on direct you said u couldn't figure out how to make a video on his camera, right? Waffle waffle, won't admit she couldn't figure it out, but that she just didn't want to ruin the mood by trying to figure it out.

What she ends up saying is that they made a video, but that it was on HER camera.

I do think that's what Nurmi meant. They already didn't like her, framing a dead man with false pedo evidence to save your own skin would pretty much seal the deal.

I don't understand your question. The only advice I would give is to stay away from him, and if she insisted that she couldn't I might advise her to carry a voice activated recorder at all times and to call the police at the first sign of violence. The only way I'd feel responsible is if I advised her to go over there and kill him, and I wouldn't advise that.

? I was asking you to imagine that as a scenario of being Matt ...the whacked lady being the .

Okay - I have a few items to share from Juan's book.

1. Have a question for Juan re Flores calling him about :jail: driving out, instead of flying...

2. From Chapter 3 - page 39:
Each time Flores and I spoke, our discussions about Arias were akin to a catchy song that you can't seem to get out of your head, where you sing the same lyrics and hum the identical tune. So it was with our conversations every time he called. We always said that it was Arias who killed Travis; but we agreed we just couldn't prove it at least for now.
All that began to change on June 19, when I got a phone call from Flores. I heard the eagerness in his voice, and I knew he had something important to tell me. The crime lab had managed to retrieve photographs contained in the memory card of the Sanyo camera that had been found in the washing machine at Travis' house....
They were deleted, but we got them," he said.
He explained that although they had been deleted, a detective had been able to recover the photos from the unallocated space of the memory card. Police believed that someone had wanted these photos permanently gone, because they had taken the five separate steps to erase them.

Five separate steps to delete each photo, or all of them at once? If it's each photo, that would take quite a while, I would think...
Maybe deleted each photo while waiting for the first batch of stuff washing...

also this from Chapter 4, page 51: (talking about the surveillance unit trying to find her the night of July 14th..
l...A surveillance unit was sent to that address (Pine St) to monitor her movements, as it started getting dark, Arias and her other were seen talking in an animated fashion while they sat in her mother's car parked in front of the home. It appeared they were engaged in an emotional conversation, because Arias seem to be crying. After about an hour, Arias got out of the car and went back inside as her mother drove off

Wondering "what" that was about? :jail: crying?

Anyway... continuing to read my book! :book:

Not given the time frame. We know the exact time the photos were uploaded, and she wrote in her journal when it was she was out about town with Matt.

Even being ambidextrous wouldn't have made it possible to hold a microphone in one hand and upload photos to her computer with the other. ;)

BTW...you know I've always appreciated your well-honed and written snarky humor, right?
Well yeah she lied about the time so the laws of physics would be on her side about creating the Flikr account, but it's still only five to ten minutes she needed to herself and it neither precludes significant time spent with Matt nor implicates him in helping her adjust Uncle Einstein's rules, and thanks ;).

? I was asking you to imagine that as a scenario of being Matt ...the whacked lady being the .
Yea I get that. Even if Matt were somehow sympathetic to whatever role she was playing, I can't see a scenario where she could make him feel a sense of shared responsibility for killing him, especially not just by telling him she did it, no matter how sympathetic he was towards her.

Besides, as far as we know, she wasn't selling the abuse/pedo story for another two years. It's unlikely she was selling it to just him two years before anyone else.

Against my better judgement, JM's book has me sucked back into the details of the trial. Pfft!! :)

I wanted to listen to the day 25 cross examination that was posted on the previous thread, and figured what the heck, I'll listen to all three parts again.

The beginning of part one reminded me of how uncomfortable JM made me at the time, as he was trying to get Jodi to admit that Travis was uncomfortable with having the pictures taken in the shower, that she had to convince him, and that she had taken pictures of him shaving. Which she had not, that day, the bits of interview he was playing to show her lies were her actually talking about a previous encounter, that had occurred in January. She kept trying to tell him that her statements were relating to another day, and he would NOT let it go. She clearly says that she didn't like the shaving pictures, but he must have, as he used one as his Myspace profile pic. At the time, it seemed to me that he was just making an error, there wrong point. It hurt me to listen to it. Now, with hindsight, all I can think is that he must have had another motive. He knows this case backwards and forwards, and there is NO WAY he would beat that horse without reason.

The possible reasons that I could come up with while listening this morning:

1) it was a good excuse to play and replay (and replay, and play one more time) the clip of her talking to EF, because she giggles and is just having a grand ole time talking about how he was uncomfortable being photographed in the shower, and 'felt gay'
2) He was just trying to amp up her argumentative superior nature to illustrate it for the jury.
3) He was hoping that, as an addendum to #2, that she would say something like 'That was obviously a different time, he couldn't have made it his profile pic that day because he was DEAD'

I'm sure this was discussed at length at the time, just curious about what you lovely folks think about that.

*I am just at the point in the book where he is talking about his approach to cross examining her. So if I am a page away from him addressing this in some way, please just tell me to chill out. :D

Being the obsessed puller- together of pieces that I am, this piece is exactly what I've been putting together, and I've just rewatched that exact segment multiple times.

Self spoiler: I think he kept replaying it to rein her in...she refused to answer in any straightforward way a whole series of questions all relating to the same topic, AND he wanted a point to sink into the jury that he couldn't assert as truth-

Travis did NOT want her to take photos of him in the shower and that's why she had given different reasons for saying he did, reasons that made no sense in any case.

Some of what I've put together:

1. She says they had just taken sex pics and a video of having intercourse. Now suddenly the pics were all to be tasteful and from the waist up?

2. She says Travis wanted them taken, that's why they're on his camera. Who is he going to show them to, these tasteful photos of him naked in the shower, taken by someone else?

If he wants photos of his muscles etc. for himself, is he, this person who is so private about taking showers, really going to choose to have naked muscles in the shower as his muscle momentoes?

Nope. He didn't give her permission to take those photos. Which is why she told the ridiculous lie that she kept taking pics and he kept looked at them with her, deciding which ones to delete, the entire time he was taking a shower. To imply consent.

(A ridiculous lie not least because there were no other deleted photos from the shower, as her DT knew and as she knew. Needing to establish consent must have been quite the priority for that ).

BTW....I think she was laughing because she loved remembering that whole 8 minutes of controlling Travis with a gun and telling him everything she wanted to say before she killed him.

Yea I get that. Even if Matt were somehow sympathetic to whatever role she was playing, I can't see a scenario where she could make him feel a sense of shared responsibility for killing him, especially not just by telling him she did it, no matter how sympathetic he was towards her.

Besides, as far as we know, she wasn't selling the abuse/pedo story for another two years. It's unlikely she was selling it to just him two years before anyone else.

She began telling the lie that Travis physically abused her as early as July 2008, when she wrote just that in her "manifesto" and in her sick letter to his family. Even threw in the bruises part, and the " I covered up for him because that's what abused women do" line.

But what did abuse matter if the ninjas did it? When she was finally convinced the ninjas weren't going to save her is when she returned to that lie, with her brand new pedo lie to make sense of the abuse lie.

Wondering "what" that was about? :jail: crying?
Sandy must have bought the wrong kind of tape for the hood-gun. She drove away because they were still open for another 15min.

I heart you, Hope4More!!

And I give you mad credit for being able to listen to this multiple times.
I swear, if I heard 'the gun went off' one more time I was going to whatever her in the nose.

I heart you, Hope4More!!

And I give you mad credit for being able to listen to this multiple times.
I swear, if I heard 'the gun went off' one more time I was going to whatever her in the nose.

RFLMAO.

I'm a lesser person. I wanted JM to keep replaying it until the lost it and started screaming at him that she was going to whatever HIM in the nose if he played it one more time. :D

He knew it was bothering the crap out of her to keep hearing it.

She began telling the lie that Travis physically abused her as early as July 2008, when she wrote just that in her "manifesto" and in her sick letter to his family. Even threw in the bruises part, and the " I covered up for him because that's what abused women do" line.

But what did abuse matter if the ninjas did it? When she was finally convinced the ninjas weren't going to save her is when she returned to that lie, with her brand new pedo lie to make sense of the abuse lie.

I guess I forgot about that. Interesting she considered the ninja story more plausible for two years. She kinda got that right.

BTW....I think she was laughing because she loved remembering that whole 8 minutes of controlling Travis with a gun and telling him everything she wanted to say before she killed him.

snip!!

I totally agree. She relished every minute of it, and does to this day, I have no doubt.
I was thinking about this aspect of her creepy personality when the discussion was centering on her taking trophies after she killed him. I'll bet she has a stash buried out there somewhere, and knowing it's out there and it's hers and hers alone keeps her going in prison.

snip!!

I totally agree. She relished every minute of it, and does to this day, I have no doubt.
I was thinking about this aspect of her creepy personality when the discussion was centering on her taking trophies after she killed him. I'll bet she has a stash buried out there somewhere, and knowing it's out there and it's hers and hers alone keeps her going in prison.
and ironically keeps her staying in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech
Back