Q&A for LI Locals and those that grew up here

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is there night fishing in the area of Robert Moses or Captree?

I am curious to hear what the LI natives have to say about "Obsessive Compulsive Mechanic" POI mentioned on the Dark Minds episode. The whole thing about the dolls and access to cars made sense to me.

Question for native....I know I razz you quite a bit....but since I assume you fish somewhere off Jones Beach....how likely is it that the players know each other from the marinas? For instance Dave S works at Captree Marina, the drifter according to you...was a tugboat captain...would these two have encountered each other? do you think the LISK is a fisherman also and do you think you might have encountered him before? Dr. H's son worked at Captree also...so he would know Dave S right? It seems the Marina's are the common denominator with some of the fringe players in this case. THX :)

If he was a fisherman, I doubt he would leave the bodies on land. Why not feed them to the crabs? But the type of fishing I do is a relatively small community. We all have "heard" of each other one way or another. And no I do not fish by Jones Beach. I fish way south of there, or way east of there.

If he was a fisherman, I doubt he would leave the bodies on land. Why not feed them to the crabs? But the type of fishing I do is a relatively small community. We all have "heard" of each other one way or another. And no I do not fish by Jones Beach. I fish way south of there, or way east of there.

he tried with FI legs to dump off shore and they washed right back up

Here are the things that drive me crazy about this case. 1) why has the FB I never gotten involved with such a high level case? 2) Why LE has never been able to find a "common john" through IP addresses Craigslist 3) It seems to me that these women's johns/ boyfriends of the GB4 have to know more than they're telling. 4)It seems to me that someone had a close call with this guy and survived. Finally. Sometimes I think LE knows who the LIsK but they don't have any evidence.

It's my opinion that there's no common ip address because the killer never contacted them that way and the fact that they all had ads is a coincidence. I believe all the victims were chosen at random from someplace the killer knew that a victim would likely be. Like walking between a hotel and convenience store at odd hours, walking near a train station at odd hours etc. It's not to hard to tell a hooker from the general public, especially given the right time and location. The right words can get them close and bingo, new victim.

" Its not hard to tell a hooker from the general public..."

I couldn't agree with you more, MCME. Now tell me why then- Sgt.James Burke/now- Chief of Department James Burke, the Creator of "Intelligence Policng", and a person that was known as "Starsky" because he supposedly had an uncanny ability to identify criminals in his patrol area couldn't ID a street hooker, Lowrita R that had 27 arrests for prostitution, drugs, and larceny ( see - 1995 SCPD IAB report substantiating that fact) and still involved himself with her for at least 6 months, or more like 2 years, and never realized she was a prostitute?

Then tell me how such an 'alleged' police officer could leave his weapon in her care on at least 2 different occasions?

Now this isn't your "Joe Average" citizen, this is the CHIEF OF THE ENTIRE SCPD. He is the same Chief, by virtue of his rank and authority is running the GILGO BEACH investigation. If you want to say he does have a unique expertise in this case because he has a history with prostitutes, then I say he is extremely qualified.

If that isn't enough then please consider when Burke left the DA office as their Chief Investigator/CO of the DA's detective squad he was replaced by another guy named Madigan. That Madigan jumped over many ranks from LT/Captain to be Spota's hand picked cop to become the Chief of Detectives.

If you think Spota has his hand in all of this for the purpose to keep the damage to a minimum then I have that bridge to sell you.

I am saddened to see the cobwebs in here....so sad for these victims. I have not read near as much as you all, of that I am certain. However, I was raised near Robert Moses and practically lived there during the hot summer days. I have read that clamming started to die out in the 90's....I remember every time I would cross the bridge there would be clam boat on top of clam boat out in the mornings. Now here is the thing, clams are brought to market in burlap sacks....I don't know if anyone has thought of this, but could it be an old clammer or family member of one, hence the sacks being kept in a garage or shed???? Just a thought?

Is there night fishing in the area of Robert Moses or Captree?

I am pretty sure that night fishing is a thing, though I know that if you are looking to park in any of the Jones Beach lots late late at night, you are supposed to have a night fishing permit (or a star gazing permit). However, I don't know how tough they are with the permits because many nights I've snuck into parking lots that were night permit-only and received no ticket. No one even looked at me twice!

I am pretty sure that night fishing is a thing, though I know that if you are looking to park in any of the Jones Beach lots late late at night, you are supposed to have a night fishing permit (or a star gazing permit). However, I don't know how tough they are with the permits because many nights I've snuck into parking lots that were night permit-only and received no ticket. No one even looked at me twice!

I am a night fishing/4x4 fishing permit holder. We go to Sore Thumb or Gilgo. Robert Moses/Democrat Point can only be accessed before 7:30 AM during season (April-Sept).
Yes, there is night fishing. Many stay over-night and permits and equipment are, frequently, checked by LE.

I've been going to Sore Thumb & Demo for years (legally) and have never been stopped for a permit or equipment check. I actually have never seen LE on the actual beach, just sometimes at the entrance. Once you are on the beach it kind of turns into a free for all with people driving over the dunes and speeding. There are strict rules but no one is there to enforce them. Past 2 Friday nights saw kids at the west end of Sore Thumb with a huge bonfire. I can see the 4x4 fishing passes not being offered in the near future.

Thanks for bringing this up. You just gave me another angle to investigate.

sore_thumb_6.jpg

Here are the things that drive me crazy about this case. 1) why has the FB I never gotten involved with such a high level case? 2) Why LE has never been able to find a "common john" through IP addresses Craigslist 3) It seems to me that these women's johns/ boyfriends of the GB4 have to know more than they're telling. 4)It seems to me that someone had a close call with this guy and survived. Finally. Sometimes I think LE knows who the LIsK but they don't have any evidence.

imho:
1) a combo of resistance from SCPD and not enough public outcry
2) like mcme, i would say craigslist itself was not the method used for contact, just info from the ads (i.e. coded phone # in the ad)
3)someone's got to be holding something back, maybe they don't realize it
4)yes, even the "epic" sk's have had that happen(close encounters that escaped or passed on a meeting last minute but saw the guy)
5) LE knowing LISK seems to be one of the hot debates and the million dollar question over the past year

It's my opinion that there's no common ip address because the killer never contacted them that way and the fact that they all had ads is a coincidence. I believe all the victims were chosen at random from someplace the killer knew that a victim would likely be. Like walking between a hotel and convenience store at odd hours, walking near a train station at odd hours etc. It's not to hard to tell a hooker from the general public, especially given the right time and location. The right words can get them close and bingo, new victim.

I would agree craigslist wasn't used *directly* to contact them--but I don't thinks it's a coincidence they happen to all had ads--I think the ad info was part of what was used to come up with the best place to get each one of them(like you say someplace they would likely be ) based on their info, or get them near where he wanted them(making them victims of opportunity, but an opportunity he created, not a true random opportunity)

Been away from this case for awhile and wanted to ask the locals, have there been any other verifiable cases of victims of LISK since the 10 bodies were recovered at Gilgo Beach? TIA

I've been going to Sore Thumb & Demo for years (legally) and have never been stopped for a permit or equipment check. I actually have never seen LE on the actual beach, just sometimes at the entrance. Once you are on the beach it kind of turns into a free for all with people driving over the dunes and speeding. There are strict rules but no one is there to enforce them. Past 2 Friday nights saw kids at the west end of Sore Thumb with a huge bonfire. I can see the 4x4 fishing passes not being offered in the near future.

Thanks for bringing this up. You just gave me another angle to investigate.

View attachment 75559

I've noticed increased LE patrolling Sore Thumb. Not just at the entrance, but, driving the dunes and close to the water. I really hope we don't lose privileges to this little piece of heaven.

Actually just saw a truck patrolling the whole beach yesterday. Not a state vehicle though. SCPD truck.

Gah, if they're patrolling the beach areas, that's going to keep me from snooping around!

Actually just saw a truck patrolling the whole beach yesterday. Not a state vehicle though. SCPD truck.

Wait a minute, why is a SCPD truck patrolling the beach at all? Isn't that supposed to be NY State Parks jurisdiction...??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back