Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Early today my grandson, a reasonably staunch anti-monarchist, called me because he knew how upset I would be about the Queen. I couldn’t stop crying and he quietly said he understood how much she means to me and millions of people throughout the world. It seems even those who oppose the monarchy have respect and admiration for this beloved Queen Elizabeth II.

As a Canadian raised by my British grandmother, I have always loved the Queen and things royal. We looked forward to her Christmas speech every Christmas morning. In public school, I was asked to read the Queen’s speech from the back of our readers because I could mimic her so well. I grew up being taught how to curtsy in case I met the Queen (never did, but always thought I would most likely fall flat on my face if I ever did).

This remarkable woman was a constant, like a mom to all; always there, a part of our lives, a bright and shining light, guiding and calming through many storms, an example to all.

The world has lost a magnificent role model and we are so fortunate to have had her for so long. She is barely gone but already deeply missed.

Rest in peace Your Majesty.

(edited to note I am Canadian)

I am very very saddened by her sudden passing.

I felt like this when Princess Diana died too, but it took me by surprise at that time and I believe was a catalyst for the life changes I became impelled to make very soon afterward and throughout those changing and difficult times, Diana was very much with me.

I am reminded of the unique vacuum that is left following death.

My most poignant memory of Queen Elizabeth is when she sat alone ,socially distancing and masked at the funeral of her beloved husband. That is the image that kept surfacing in my mind all day.

My best happy memory, the day we made her our queen too, was her visit to the fish stall in Cork's English market.
She never forgot him and invited him to the UK subsequently

My partner "met" Elizabeth II in the late 70s when the queen visited Samoa. My partner's stepfather was a very high level US government official in American Samoa. It was a very brief encounter but she still remembers the queen shaking her hand as what I think was an 11 year old. And she remembers her dress which we found in old press reports tonight.

RIP Elizabeth Regina

Early today my grandson, a reasonably staunch anti-monarchist, called me because he knew how upset I would be about the Queen. I couldn’t stop crying and he quietly said he understood how much she means to me and millions of people throughout the world. It seems even those who oppose the monarchy have respect and admiration for this beloved Queen Elizabeth II.

Raised by my British grandmother, I have always loved the Queen and things royal. We looked forward to her Christmas speech every Christmas morning. In public school, I was asked to read the Queen’s speech from the back of our readers because I could mimic her so well. I grew up being taught how to curtsy in case I met the Queen (never did, but always thought I would most likely fall flat on my face if I ever did).

This remarkable woman was a constant, like a mom to all; always there, a part of our lives, a bright and shining light, guiding and calming through many storms, an example to all.

The world has lost a magnificent role model and we are so fortunate to have had her for so long. She is barely gone but already deeply missed.

As am American, part of me could say that we kicked the royals out almost 250 years ago. But obviously it is not that simple and the US and UK continue to have a special relationship to this day. Elizabeth was our queen as well because we can't have one but also because she embodied the best of our shared values. I hope your grandson realizes some day what a loss this is for your country. It transcends politics and spans over a thousand years of history. You have lost a great woman! RIP Elizabeth II Regina.

Edit:minor typo

As a Canadian raised by my British grandmother, I have always loved the Queen and things royal. We looked forward to her Christmas speech every Christmas morning. In public school, I was asked to read the Queen’s speech from the back of our readers because I could mimic her so well. I grew up being taught how to curtsy in case I met the Queen (never did, but always thought I would most likely fall flat on my face if I ever did).

(edited to note I am Canadian)
I'm an English anti-monarchist, and I am feeling very down right now.

She was a wonderful person I believe. I miss her even though I don't like the fact I do.

Hate the institution not the person.

18:52

Prince Harry has been spotted leaving Balmoral Castle.
The Duke of Sussex joined his family to mourn the death of the Queen.
Members of the Royal family rushed to Scotland to be by the monarch's side yesterday however Harry arrived too late to be with the Queen before she passed away.

1662716742532.png

1662716628329.png
"As crowds gathered in rain-swept London Thursday evening due to the news that Queen Elizabeth II was gravely ill, the clouds suddenly parted, revealing a double rainbow above Buckingham Palace."

"Approximately 20 minutes after the appearance of the rainbow, the palace issued a statement at 6:30 p.m. local time announcing that Elizabeth had passed away at Balmoral Castle, her retreat in Aberdeenshire, Scotland."

Prince Harry has been spotted leaving Balmoral Castle.
The Duke of Sussex joined his family to mourn the death of the Queen.
Members of the Royal family rushed to Scotland to be by the monarch's side yesterday however Harry arrived too late to be with the Queen before she passed away.

William, Andrew and Edward also arrived too late yesterday. It must have been quite a sudden downturn in her health.

Disappointing to learn Harry left as soon as he could, I’d hoped he might have spent some quality time with his dad and brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli