Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"London braces for Queen's funeral:

Hundreds of mourners camp out on Mall with TWO MILLION set to descend on capital to pay their respects with crowds 8ft-deep lining roads inside TWELVE-mile 'ring of steel'."

And those of us who watch from afar will be praying for a perfect day where her legacy of peace and kindness will be reflected in those millions who gather.

Anne, Princess Royal declined to give her children titles even though they are the grandchildren of the Queen. This does seem fitting for her no nonsense personality that I admire. imo

I know this is why Zara Phillips Tindall & Peter Phillips were at the end of the group of grandchildren, walking behind young Lady Louise & the very young James, Viscount Severn, but the visual of young moms Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie and the Princess Royal's adult children hemming them in spoke of a caring family to me.

(And -- I used to work menswear, and have sons. imho, someone expects young Viscount Severn to grow into that coat, and needs to let the sleeve hem out. Appropriate in this event, could be different on Monday. I didn't buy dress pants for them until the funeral services were scheduled, practical.)

RIP, Your Majesty, thank you for your lifetime of service and the example set for us all!

jmho ymmv lrr

"The queen confided in her dresser Angela Kelly in 2012 that she had long harbored a secret wish," he wrote. "When she was a child, her elders — especially Queen Mary — had insisted she always kept her hands out of her pockets. And, just to make sure, all the pockets in all her clothes had been sewn up.

But when Kelly was working on her first book, the dressmaker recalled the conversation and asked the monarch if she would model with her hands in her pockets.

“The Queen looked at me in amazement as I asked whether she knew the potential implications of the photographs,” Kelly said. “She didn’t take long to answer: yes, she would do it and, yes, she was sure.”

However, the more candid photos, which show the Queen with a rare ear-to-ear smile, were not immediately released, following advice from members of the Royal Collection.

“Their opinion was that these more candid photographs would bring the monarchy down and therefore they were not suitable for the public eye,” she explained. “Why they thought that, I have no idea.”

Attachments

• 4198CCDB-C0F6-465C-BC82-7765835713EF.jpeg
    4198CCDB-C0F6-465C-BC82-7765835713EF.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DA97A173-07C8-4D54-B428-9725173228D8.jpeg
    DA97A173-07C8-4D54-B428-9725173228D8.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 33
This is such sad and sudden news after seeing her welcoming smile when Liz Truss, the new PM, visited her just the other day. My condolences to all of the Royal Family, Queen Elizabeth’s subjects, and all of us around the world who loved and respected her so much.

Personally, despite growing up in the S.F. Bay Area, she has been part of my life since I watched her coronation with awe on TV at a neighbor’s house when I was seven years old. My mother read me their governess Marion Crawford’s charming book “The Little Princesses” around that time. I reread it several times myself. Because my name is Elizabeth I chose her childhood nickname Lilibet as my screen name here on WS. As Queen Elizabeth grew older, she looked so much like my mother, who died at age 92 in 2004. Unselfish duty to others was a driving force in both their lives. Queen Elizabeth inspired me to write my first poem. I was probably about eight. I only remember parts of two verses…

The Queen is good.
The Queen is fair.
The Queen is pretty everywhere.

And when the Queen is on her own
She takes her dogs out all alone…
———————-

I will certainly miss her radiant smile, her colorful outfits, her steady and calming presence in times of adversity, and her sense of humor that showed up once in awhile. Her “entrance” at the London Olympics was delightful. What an amazing woman! I’m grateful we had her with us for so long.
My name is Elizabeth as well.

I loved the story Paul McCartney shared with Gayle King during an interview celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in June 2022:

Sir Paul McCartney thought Queen Elizabeth was a “babe” the first time they met.

The Beatles legend has relived his first visit to Buckingham Palace ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee to honour the 96-year-old monarch's 70-year-reign on the throne.

The 79-year-old music legend spoke to CBS's Gayle King for 'Her Majesty The Queen: A Gayle King Special' and recalled how he and his bandmates - George Harrison, John Lennon and Sir Ringo Starr - thought Her Majesty “was a good looking woman" when they received their MBEs from her in 1965.

Gayle asked: “Like a babe?", to which he responded: “Yeah, just like a babe.

“We were preteen boys in Liverpool.

“She looked like a film star to us.”

As working class boys from Liverpool, the 'Let it Be' hitmakers never thought it would be possible to meet the Queen - let alone be awarded an MBE.

He added: “No, you see we were just working class boys and she's the Queen, so there's an ocean or two between us

“So I never thought we would until we became The Beatles and we got rather famous.

“You're told not to shake her hand, you call her ‘ma'am’ not ‘your majesty’ and you know if she stops on the line and talks to you, talk to her, otherwise shut up.”

She was a beautiful lady.

Did anyone see the foreign leaders visiting the Westminster Hall lying-in-state?

I understand Justin Trudeau of Canada and his wife were there, as well as

Lemme guess, getting ready to "bless the carpet" with a liquid offering?
King Felipe and Queen Letizia, King Carl and Ukraine's First Lady were just there.
Presidents of Ireland and Israel and Trinidad & Tobago.

Last edited:
Did anyone see foreign leaders visiting the Westminster Hall for the lying-in-state?

Justin Trudeau of Canada was there with his wife.
Jair Bolsinaro of Brazil was there with a small group
Emmanuel Macron and Bridget Macron of France

Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads