Ransom note analysis

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh, I know what you mean, BoldBear. I've got a lot of movie (and book) lines memorized too, but the thing is ... all of these are sort of obscure lines and aren't iconic lines that most people would remember. That isn't really the point though. To me, it's bizarre that anyone would use ransom-demand movie quotes in an actual ransom note. It would be like writing a cover letter with every movie quote you could find from movies where someone was looking for a job, and then enclosing a three-page long quote-filled cover letter with your resume.

The important thing about the movie quotes though, to me anyway, is that all the "expert" opinions on who wrote the ransom note can't be right because the note was authored by Hollywood. If an expert said that the note was written by a well-educated female aged 20-40 or whatever, that's just wrong. There are several authors, and they all write scripts. Instead of looking at the way things are worded and saying "Oh, this is distancing", the experts need to figure out what kind of person would write a ransom note using a bunch of movie quotes.

Muy Curioso, sorry, but I'm a bit confused on what you meant by "Full citations (with minute film, version, etc ...)".

Oh, I know what you mean, BoldBear. I've got a lot of movie (and book) lines memorized too, but the thing is ... all of these are sort of obscure lines and aren't iconic lines that most people would remember. That isn't really the point though. To me, it's bizarre that anyone would use ransom-demand movie quotes in an actual ransom note. It would be like writing a cover letter with every movie quote you could find from movies where someone was looking for a job, and then enclosing a three-page long quote-filled cover letter with your resume.

The important thing about the movie quotes though, to me anyway, is that all the "expert" opinions on who wrote the ransom note can't be right because the note was authored by Hollywood. If an expert said that the note was written by a well-educated female aged 20-40 or whatever, that's just wrong. There are several authors, and they all write scripts. Instead of looking at the way things are worded and saying "Oh, this is distancing", the experts need to figure out what kind of person would write a ransom note using a bunch of movie quotes.

Muy Curioso, sorry, but I'm a bit confused on what you meant by "Full citations (with minute film, version, etc ...)".

What a smart observation! Who would remember all those not iconic quotes, which are thematically all the same, the words of kidnappers from different movies. Who? and most importantly Why memorize it? Thank you for your post.

What a smart observation! Who would remember all those not iconic quotes, which are thematically all the same, the words of kidnappers from different movies. Who? and most importantly Why memorize it? Thank you for your post.

Maybe someone with a house full of movie posters?

Well, the average person has seen a few movies with ransom notes in them but wouldn't remember any specific lines. I wonder, if you ask someone who is unfamiliar with this case to write a fake 3 page ransom note, how similar it would be to the movies or to the R's note. 3 pages is a lot and you would have to think of just about everything a ransom writer would write about. Would it all end up looking more or less the same?

The fact that the writer used movie quotes is likely because they were trying to be people they weren't. Being wealthy socialites, their only reference to the seedy underbelly would be from movies, so they went with it. No mystery there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe someone with a house full of movie posters?

Maybe someone with drama experience or maybe a degree in, say, journalism and marketing ? Maybe someone who "performed" in public venues? :facepalm:

The ransom note in Ruthless People is memorable because it leads to the joke of the husband, who wants his wife dead, doing the opposite of what he is told. And the R's do the same thing.

The fact that the writer used movie quotes is likely because they were trying to be people they weren't. Being wealthy socialites, their only reference to the seedy underbelly would be from movies, so they went with it. No mystery there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mystery IS there; it was a full "collection" of sayings gathered in someone`s memory, a pretty wide collection of specific sayings pertinent to kidnapping, someone suddenly remembered all those lines and put on paper right after the killing. What a memory if someone`s who `s never meant to use the " collection" just hours before the killing! Fenomena...

Doesn't require Sherlock Holmes, does it, andreww?

The mystery IS there; it was a full "collection" of sayings gathered in someone`s memory, a pretty wide collection of specific sayings pertinent to kidnapping, someone suddenly remembered all those lines and put on paper right after the killing. What a memory if someone`s who `s never meant to use the " collection" just hours before the killing! Fenomena...

"If we catch you talking to a stray dog, she dies." vs "If you talk to anyone, I don't care if it's a Pekingese pissing against a lamppost, the girl dies."

"Don't try to grow a brain, John"? vs "Do not attempt to grow a brain."

Looks like the writer has a pretty craptastic memory to me as none of these are verbatim.

"If we catch you talking to a stray dog, she dies." vs "If you talk to anyone, I don't care if it's a Pekingese pissing against a lamppost, the girl dies."

"Don't try to grow a brain, John"? vs "Do not attempt to grow a brain."

Looks like the writer has a pretty craptastic memory to me as none of these are verbatim.

These lines come from movies that most of that age have seen many times. For instance, the quote from Dirty Harry, you don't have to know the exact quote in order to use it. "You disagree with me, the girl dies. You respond to this post, the girl dies". Its not like you have to remember the exact quote to use it, but it is very obvious where the references came from.

Does anyone know where is the pineapple snack thread? I can´t find it.

Does anyone know where is the pineapple snack thread? I can´t find it.

Its gone. RIP. Since people were genuinely posting nonsense to it. All you need to know is that JonBenet ate pineapple after arriving home, and that pineapple was found in a bowl in the breakfast bar, corroborated by the autopsy report citing pineapple rind in JonBenet's digestive tract.

I do not understand. Who has deleted it?

Now some of you are going to decide what we need to know?

Now some of you are going to decide what we need to know?

I believe a moderator has either deleted it or has set it to private. As we are only "Registered Users", we don't have the power to delete or hide threads.

Tricia responded to this on the "We are only dealing in facts and reasonable scenarios from now on" thread. There is a lively discussion going on there. Maybe we can keep this thread focused on the ransom note.

BTW Muy Curioso, I'm in awe of the work you've done on the ransom note. It is very interesting and must have taken hours. Thank you for posting.

For now, this is my last post in this thread. From this moment I will only write on Intruder theories only thread, on this or any other issue. It may be temporary or permanent. Those of you interested in my work, now you know where to look. I think there is some number to upload, and I will upload in that thread.

If you want to discuss things about it, do it here, but I will not take part.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RETI20
Back