RDI Theorists

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Malice aforethought or accidental killing with cover-up?

• One of the Ramseys killed Jonbenet with malice aforethought

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • One of the Ramseys killed Jonbenet accidentally and then tried to cover it up

Votes: 136 75.6%
  • None of the above - please explain

Votes: 29 16.1%

• Total voters
I voted "none of the above" as I think it was a combination of the two. Patsy viciously assaults JonBenet on the head based on catching her and John performing a sex act. They can't risk taking her to the emergency room ("Speaking to anyone about your situation, such as Police, F.B.I., etc., will result in your daughter being beheaded.") so John did his part with the cord. This way he got his hands dirty, too.

-Tea

ssiegmund said:
It takes 4 minutes to choke to death so I'd guess strangulation is the same, although you'd pass out before that time.

I think John or Burk was in the prosess of useing the AM device on JB in the basement & Patsy walked in with the flashlite & tried to hit the molester but hit JB instead, so the cover up , she was already being strangled with a silk scarf under the cord, so as not to leave marks & so she would not remember the sex part,

I think it was an accidental killing by one of the parents.At the moment I think PR did it.

A scenario like this

PR has troubles to get JB to bed.
PR is tired after Christmas and is stressed up about the early start the next day.
PR put JB tobed with her day pants on to get her up easy without dressing the next morning.
Just as she puts JB tobed she messes up her panties and pants.
PR gets her inside the bathroom and goes out to the cupboard to get a pair of pull-ups, she is now very angry with JB.

At some point the flashlight has gotten out of its drawer. Perhaps JB want's PR to shine under the bed or in the closet to show that there is no monsters, perhaps the flashlight always resides besides JB's bed.

PR goes back to JB in the bathroom and tries to find a pair of longjohns for JB.
She has her back turned against JB and at that point JB says something particularily nasty and PR snaps and in one motion she swings around with the flashlight in her hand in a gesture to show JB she is very serious. JB is closer than she anticipated and the flashlight lands on her head.

Something like that. Not intentional at all but with a deadly result.
Unfortunately JR and PR chose a shortcut that turned out to be very long and enduring.

icedtea --- in your scenario, wouldn't it make more sense that Patsy would have attacked John? And why would they work together for a cover up? Most mothers who stumble upon their husband sexually assaulting their child would happily hand him over to the cops -- or worse. :)

Question -- it keeps being mentioned that JB was "manually strangled". Does this mean strangled with hands around her neck? And, if so, can someone link to where that is reported as evident?

tumble said:
I think it was an accidental killing by one of the parents.At the moment I think PR did it.

A scenario like this

PR has troubles to get JB to bed.
PR is tired after Christmas and is stressed up about the early start the next day.
PR put JB tobed with her day pants on to get her up easy without dressing the next morning.
Just as she puts JB tobed she messes up her panties and pants.
PR gets her inside the bathroom and goes out to the cupboard to get a pair of pull-ups, she is now very angry with JB.

At some point the flashlight has gotten out of its drawer. Perhaps JB want's PR to shine under the bed or in the closet to show that there is no monsters, perhaps the flashlight always resides besides JB's bed.

PR goes back to JB in the bathroom and tries to find a pair of longjohns for JB.
She has her back turned against JB and at that point JB says something particularily nasty and PR snaps and in one motion she swings around with the flashlight in her hand in a gesture to show JB she is very serious. JB is closer than she anticipated and the flashlight lands on her head.

Something like that. Not intentional at all but with a deadly result.
Unfortunately JR and PR chose a shortcut that turned out to be very long and enduring.
Tumble, that's very close to my own theory. Factor into it the fact that JonBenet did not have an overhead light in her room. There was a lamp on a table between the twin beds, and it was not operated by the lightswitch (the fan was.) On top of that, JonBenet was known to keep a flashlight beside her bed in case she needed one during the night.

I also think maybe Patsy had JonBenet in bed after the pineapple snack, and as she's doing last minute things like packing for the trip in the morning, she hears JB call out. She goes in and finds JonBenet has not made it to the bathroom and loses it - she's tired, she's emotionally exhausted, she has things to get done, she wants to go to bed, and for the love of the sweet baby Jesus, her daughter just won't stop having accidents. In the process of having to help her clean up and redress in dry clothes yet again, she ends bashing JonBenet on the head with the flashlight, maybe she's even got her by the collar, and rest rolls on from there.

Could it be something as simple as JonBenet disobeying her mother and refusing to go to bed in which case PR snapped? Perhaps Patsy caught JB grabbing a little snack in the middle of the night and was steamed.

Nuisanceposter said:
Tumble, that's very close to my own theory. Factor into it the fact that JonBenet did not have an overhead light in her room. There was a lamp on a table between the twin beds, and it was not operated by the lightswitch (the fan was.)
Interesting that we feel the same about it. I factored in the above already and I wondered that she maybe kept a flashlight by her bed.

Nuisanceposter said:
On top of that, JonBenet was known to keep a flashlight beside her bed in case she needed one during the night.
And here you have that info :rolleyes:

"in your scenario, wouldn't it make more sense that Patsy would have attacked John?"

I think the idea was she INTENDED to hit him and he ducked.

"And why would they work together for a cover up? Most mothers who stumble upon their husband sexually assaulting their child would happily hand him over to the cops -- or worse."

Because now it's her fault the child is dead.

"Could it be something as simple as JonBenet disobeying her mother and refusing to go to bed in which case PR snapped? Perhaps Patsy caught JB grabbing a little snack in the middle of the night and was steamed."

I've asked that question a million times.

Interesting that many RDI's here seem to think it was an accident.

Actually if it was an accident the R's behaviour of not telling the police to be careful showing up at the house in the 911 call or their decision to get alot of poeple over is quite understandable and there is nothing evil or strange about it.

But if an intruder did it those actions are not what you would expect of loving caring parent.

Leaving the house early or not cooperating with the police would not be so evil, they just don't want to get in jail for something they know was an accident. It isn't nice ofcourse to let innocent poeple get accused all around though.

But if an intruder did it, not cooperating to find the real killer is not what you would expect of a loving caring parent.

If they were sure she was dead when they did the staging, although not something you would expect a normal parent to be able to do,
IMO, the R's actions are actually about as likable as if it was an intruder who did it.

It is possible to kill someone accidentally and still be guilty of manslaughter
Yes, and there are different degrees of manslaughter, as in "involuntary"

ALL experts say that Jonbenet's death was NO, I repeat NO accident.

tumble said:
Interesting that many RDI's here seem to think it was an accident.

Actually if it was an accident the R's behaviour of not telling the police to be careful showing up at the house in the 911 call or their decision to get alot of poeple over is quite understandable and there is nothing evil or strange about it.
I do think that there is something evil abot a parent not admitting that he/she hit her child so hard that death was the result.
It is amazing how often the word 'accident' is the cause of misunderstanding when it comes to the JB case: 'accident' here does not mean that the child accidentally fell down the stairs etc, for in that case no doubt the Ramseys would have called an ambulance.
In the JB case, 'accident' means that the person who struck out at JB in rage did not mean to kill her.
The person who did this to JB did not want to take responsibility for what she had done by turning herself in to the police. Instead this person tried to get away with it by writing a ransom note and staging a garrote scene which should fool the investigators. Don't you think that is truly evil?

Yes, when we say accident, we mean unintentional.

"Instead this person tried to get away with it by writing a ransom note and staging a garrote scene which should fool the investigators. Don't you think that is truly evil?"

Maybe, but a lot of good people do bad things in a crisis. There but for the grace of the gods...

SuperDave said:
Yes, when we say accident, we mean unintentional.

"Instead this person tried to get away with it by writing a ransom note and staging a garrote scene which should fool the investigators. Don't you think that is truly evil?"

Maybe, but a lot of good people do bad things in a crisis. There but for the grace of the gods...
I think the Ramsey's social status had more to do with it than them being evil.

Class-z said:
Yes, and there are different degrees of manslaughter, as in "involuntary"

ALL experts say that Jonbenet's death was NO, I repeat NO accident.
I remember (but it's been a while) Steve Thomas suggesting that JonBenet could have fallen and hit her head on the bath tub edge.

rashomon said:
I do think that there is something evil abot a parent not admitting that he/she hit her child so hard that death was the result.
It is amazing how often the word 'accident' is the cause of misunderstanding when it comes to the JB case: 'accident' here does not mean that the child accidentally fell down the stairs etc, for in that case no doubt the Ramseys would have called an ambulance.
In the JB case, 'accident' means that the person who struck out at JB in rage did not mean to kill her.
The person who did this to JB did not want to take responsibility for what she had done by turning herself in to the police. Instead this person tried to get away with it by writing a ransom note and staging a garrote scene which should fool the investigators. Don't you think that is truly evil?
I understand, there are different types of accident, my assumtion in my post was that the accident was truly innocent and the parents didn't put the child in a dangerous position on purpose, like stiking at JB willfully.
Also I kind of assumed that there was no prior molestation issues going on in the house.

What I was trying to say with the above post was that many of the inflamed discussion about the R's actions are actually dependant on the intruder scenario. And these feeling come up beacuse an intruder scenario is being discussed.

Many, like myself, who don't belive in an intruder scenario only argue that way in that context. If it was an 'innocent' accident the R's actions after the fact comes into a whole different light.

tumble said:
I understand, there are different types of accident, my assumtion in my post was that the accident was truly innocent and the parents didn't put the child in a dangerous position on purpose, like stiking at JB willfully.
But if it was a truly 'innocent' accident, I'm 100 per cent convinced that the parents would have taken their child to the hospital at once. There would have been no need to cover something up.

I said accident.

I believe the Ramseys are involved because too many details make the intruder theory hard to accept - not impossible, but hard.

I can't get past the chronic sexual molestation. She'd been didled before the 25th/26th.

Nuisanceposter said:
Tumble, that's very close to my own theory. Factor into it the fact that JonBenet did not have an overhead light in her room. There was a lamp on a table between the twin beds, and it was not operated by the lightswitch (the fan was.) On top of that, JonBenet was known to keep a flashlight beside her bed in case she needed one during the night.

I also think maybe Patsy had JonBenet in bed after the pineapple snack, and as she's doing last minute things like packing for the trip in the morning, she hears JB call out. She goes in and finds JonBenet has not made it to the bathroom and loses it - she's tired, she's emotionally exhausted, she has things to get done, she wants to go to bed, and for the love of the sweet baby Jesus, her daughter just won't stop having accidents. In the process of having to help her clean up and redress in dry clothes yet again, she ends bashing JonBenet on the head with the flashlight, maybe she's even got her by the collar, and rest rolls on from there.
It is physically impossible for a hand held flashlight swung at JonBenet's head to have caused that huge fracture. The flashlight would have had to have been moving at a speed faster than any human arm can generate. No matter how athletic the killer was, he or she could not have killed her by swinging a flashlight, no matter how heavy, at her head. They might have managed to knock her unconscious, they might have been able to generate a huge swelling, but they could not have displaced a piece of bone and created a 6 inch fracture. Any theory that involves the flashlight as the murder weapon just isn't tenable IMO.

aussiesheila said:
It is physically impossible for a hand held flashlight swung at JonBenet's head to have caused that huge fracture. The flashlight would have had to have been moving at a speed faster than any human arm can generate. .

You have proof to back that theory up by chance? Remember, JBR was 6 years old..smaller bones, not as strong as an adult's, whatever. Also, peeps (the killer for example) might be capable of "super human" things when enraged, scared, whatever....chalk it up to adrenaline or something, I dont know. :)

I voted accident. I think Patsy did it in a fit of rage and John helped cover it up (to protect and save his own butt, career, professional reputation, etc).

exoromeo said:
You have proof to back that theory up by chance? Remember, JBR was 6 years old..smaller bones, not as strong as an adult's, whatever. Also, peeps (the killer for example) might be capable of "super human" things when enraged, scared, whatever....chalk it up to adrenaline or something, I dont know. :)

I voted accident. I think Patsy did it in a fit of rage and John helped cover it up (to protect and save his own butt, career, professional reputation, etc).
No, it's not a theory, it is a statement of what I believe to be a physical fact. And do those who say Patsy did it have proof that a flashlight blow to a head can kill?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back