Rebecca Zahau Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious. Have we heard whether NR has changed her opinion on RZ’s death, too? Sister DS changed her position. Very curious what it was that possibly changed both their minds? I know DS has said she doesn’t believe it was Adam, but what is her theory? In my opinion, the jury might find it a bit curious, too. What made the ex wife change her mind?

Snip -

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15982091/exclusive-max-shacknais-aunt-talks-about-coronado-mansion-deaths
[/FONT]

Hope you don't mind Lash, but I think this is very insightful. I too would be curious if NR changed her mind. She was fired up enough to book it to the mansion and creep around looking for answers. I wonder if she thinks she has them now?

Rebecca's phone records do not prove anything - remember she's dead. I went back and looked at the voluminous thread on phone records and the general consensus was why wouldn't JS want to prove his phone call to Rebecca that was a critical piece of the suicide findings..What was the purpose of holding them back?

Her phone records do point to extreme stress. She spoke to her sister 20 times. How could JS otherwise prove content of a voice message that he left RZ? He told LE what he said. We know he had been told Max would never walk or talk again. It is a fact that a detective investigating Max's injuries phoned her 5 times.

RSBM.

He couldn't subpoena Jonah's because Jonah isn't part of the lawsuit but it also is a moot point because they did have RZ's phone records and released them to the press. The information was obtained by the Zahou's attorney nearly seven years ago and covered extensively in the media. I'm not sure why people don't want to believe Jonah made the call. Yes, he did and so did a police detective.

I'm sorry, that is totally wrong. A party can seek documents from non-parties as well as from the opposing party. Subpoenas are served on non-parties all the time in civil cases. It is routine. I would be shocked if Greer did not subpoena JS's phone records.

So instead of getting caught up in details that the keystone cops chose not to provide proof of JS’ fateful call, what we do know is that JS says he made a call that triggered Rebecca’s suicide and we should all just take everyone’s word for it including the brother of the wrongful death case defendant.

Okay, how silly of the public to want real evidence which would follow Gore’s pronouncement that “Science doesn’t Lie!”. Well I guess on this critical piece of evidence science/proof didn’t matter for SDSO to call it suicide. Talk about making the rules fit the narrative. How many of those 7-8 consultations did the lead detective have with JS (per trial testimony) to wrap up this fairytale? JMO unless proven otherwise.

RSBM.

I'm sorry, that is totally wrong. A party can seek documents from non-parties as well as from the opposing party. Subpoenas are served on non-parties all the time in civil cases. It is routine. I would be shocked if Greer did not subpoena JS's phone records.

The phone records of a third-party have to be material to the case. Jonah's phone records are not material to this case because they already have RZ's. Jonah also testified as to what he said.

Her phone records do point to extreme stress. She spoke to her sister 20 times. How could JS otherwise prove content of a voice message that he left RZ? He told LE what he said. We know he had been told Max would never walk or talk again. It is a fact that a detective investigating Max's injuries phoned her 5 times.

I noted this paragraph in that link:

The phone records show a flurry of text messages and phone calls in the 24 hours prior to Zahau's hanging; including 34 messages and calls to and from the phone of Jonah Shacknai; 20 contacts with her sister Mary Zahau-Loehner; 10 calls or texts involving Adam Shacknai; and 7 contacts with a phone owned by Jonah Shacknai's friend, Phoenix-based dermatologist Dr. Howard Luber.

It sounds to me like Rebecca was doing everything she could to stay so busy she did not have think about Max’s injuries. I believe she made close to 100 texts and phone calls that day, while also insisting on picking up Nina and Adam from the airport.

I wonder why Rebecca did not tell Det. Atkins that she was sending her little sister home on Tuesday when she spoke with him? He stated in a deposition that he was not informed of that. Do we know if she took his calls?

The phone records of a third-party have to be material to the case. Jonah's phone records are not material to this case because they already have RZ's. Jonah also testified as to what he said.

Discovery in civil cases is very broad -- you can obtain records that are admissible as evidence or that are reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence. It doesn't mater what is in RZ's records or what JS testified to. I've been doing this for decades. Those phone records could definitely be obtained by subpoena. Any law school graduate knows that. It is basic textbook law.

I noted this paragraph in that link:

It sounds to me like Rebecca was doing everything she could to stay so busy she did not have think about Max’s injuries. I believe she made close to 100 texts and phone calls that day, while also insisting on picking up Nina and Adam from the airport.

I wonder why Rebecca did not tell Det. Atkins that she was sending her little sister home on Tuesday when she spoke with him? He stated in a deposition that he was not informed of that. Do we know if she took his calls?

The Detective surely left her messages if he phoned five times. If he wasn't aware the sister had gone home, that is an indication of evasiveness on RZ's part which is another indicator she was stressed. He would want to speak to both her and her sister, imo.

A few more days.

Well, until appeals. I’m sure this case will continue on and on and on. I believe both sides will soldier on. Doesn’t matter who wins or loses.

But do the Zahaus have enough money to appeal? It sounds like they are almost down to their last dollar. If they lose the case, I can’t imagine Greer or any other attorney would take the appeal on for free.

Discovery in civil cases is very broad -- you can obtain records that are admissible as evidence or that are reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence. It doesn't mater what is in RZ's records or what JS testified to. I've been doing this for decades. Those phone records could definitely be obtained by subpoena. Any law school graduate knows that. It is basic textbook law.

If it is that easy, why didn't Greer subpoena Jonah's phone records and ask the Judge to admit them into evidence? He knew JS phoned RZ because he not only had her records, he released them to the press many years ago. Did he confront JS during testimony and accuse him of NOT making the call? No.

Dina did not appear during sweeps week and have Max’s body exhumed for the show.

Some people found the exhumation of Rebecca to be a macabre publicity stunt. I don’t believe anyone “judged” the Zahaus for this, but certanly some found it to be distasteful.

After all that she has been through I still find Dina to be the most credible Shacknai "witness" in this case. JMO

But do the Zahaus have enough money to appeal? It sounds like they are almost down to their last dollar. If they lose the case, I can’t imagine Greer or any other attorney would take the appeal on for free.

There’s so much publicity about this case. Media can’t get enough of it. There’s a Jose Baez out there waiting for his turn. And that’s not to cast aspersions on the Z family...as someone posted....that’s what they feel they must do. Likewise Mr Greer believes in this case. But it’s a Media ratings bonanza. It’s a way to get back in the news. Marcia Clarke now stepping into the spotlight. How many families mourning loved ones...where’s she been advocating for anyone not a Sweeps Week ratings bonanza?

The appeals will go on.

Did Adam's attorney file a Motion for Adjudication? If so, it might not make it an appeal.

Anybody know where these two pieces of evidence were found, and if they were tested to determine what the red stains were?

#3 Paper towel w/red stains
#12 Tissue w/red stain

Thinking the tissue could be what’s on the floor between the knives in the evidence photo. Or maybe not since it doesn’t have a number like the other evidence. Perhaps another piece of missed evidence.

That actually looks like it might be a dryer sheet. Very handy for wiping away prints.

I started looking at articles re testing for glove prints and just to summarize a few points:

1) Need to determine if gloves were worn and different gloves leave different marks. Harder to check for when you are not looking for them or do not know if they were used .

2) Glove prints are always formed best on smooth surfaces. Their development requires great care because the prints are not that strong and are easily destroyed if too much powder is used.

3) A lamp is used to find them and cautious used in brushing for them.

4) If prints of gloves and friction ridges appear together it may be difficult to distinguish the difference without closer examination. Glove prints are best formed on smooth surfaces.

Was any evidence ever given that they did check and dust for glove prints at the crime scene???
It sounds like if you first use fingerprint powder it would destroy glove prints.

Avoid leaving fingerprints:
You can avoid leaving fingerprints without having to wear gloves by using liquid latex. Brush on additional layers of latex. Let each layer dry before applying the next, until your fingerprints have been obscured. Dust your fingertips with baby powder to prevent the latex from one finger from sticking to another.

I didn’t do a lot of research, but easily found information on how to avoid leaving fingerprints.

The visual of AS supposedly standing on a 3 legged wooden table with Rebecca over one arm (all tied up) trying to saw at a rope is absurd to me. Let's not forget that the recording sounded like the phone was up against his ear. Just not possible, imo.

That was a thick, new ski rope (per JS). Those are typically very durable and made of braided polyethylene blend materials. VERY hard to cut. How did he do it? How long did it take to saw through it with a kitchen knife? Where are the shards? What do the ends of the rope look like?

That actually looks like it might be a dryer sheet. Very handy for wiping away prints.

Yes, it does look like a dryer sheet. Whatever it is, it must not have been collected as evidence since it wasn’t assigned a number. I don’t see a dryer sheet on the list of items taken into evidence from the mansion.

Does anybody know if the three sealed warrants were ever unsealed from 2011?

Yes, it does look like a dryer sheet. Whatever it is, it must not have been collected as evidence since it wasn’t assigned a number. I don’t see a dryer sheet on the list of items taken into evidence from the mansion.

Does anybody know if the three sealed warrants were ever unsealed from 2011?

I remember reading something that mentioned dryer sheets, which I thought was interesting because they are very effective at wiping things down. It doesn't appear they were collected, however, not even the pinkish colored one you noticed on the bedroom floor.

There are 3 search warrants you can few at the very beginning of this thread: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-Zahau&highlight=search+warrant+rebecca+zahau

Anybody know where these two pieces of evidence were found, and if they were tested to determine what the red stains were?

#3 Paper towel w/red stains
#12 Tissue w/red stain

Thinking the tissue could be what’s on the floor between the knives in the evidence photo. Or maybe not since it doesn’t have a number like the other evidence. Perhaps another piece of missed evidence.

"Red stains" during the trial was used as an alternative to saying "blood" stains. One might conclude similarly in search warrant. So those two items probably had blood stains. I've not seen indication one way or another whether they were actually tested or not. Additionally, as another poster mentioned, the unlabeled item does appear to be a drier sheet, which was uncollected. Was laundry being done in that room? Why was a drier sheet there? Did LE look for the source of that sheet (box of drier sheets)? Did they check all trash receptacles for other drier sheets in case more were used? They are so handy for cleaning fingerprints and hairs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho