Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious, if the owners of property do not want their exact location divulged, what good do you think trying to pinpoint it does? Why do we need to know? Uninvolved people don't need their home turning into some shrine or site to be gawked at by the curious.

Edited to add that there is no longer the find the victim, solve the crime reasoning. There is nothing to be gained by figuring out where he was buried. It doesn't matter. Even the press in Minnesota is honoring their request so far.

I for one would like to believe that Jacob fought back. I don't believe that DH is/was a serial killer, but definitely a serial sex offender.

I keep telling myself the mystery of what happened to Jacob has been solved...but then why do I still feel so empty, with so many questions about what happened and what went wrong...
To be fair, we don't know that DH is actually the killer, accomplice, or was privy to information... I mean obviously he almost certainly is, but that information isn't official yet. I would also find it hard to believe that a pedophile who killed an 11 year old boy and not be caught for longer than my lifetime wouldn't commit more crimes that were similar. There were links in the area pertaining to kidnapping and rape, but not murder. The average serial killer doesn't stop until they're caught or get too old, but pedophiles seem WAAAAY more compelled to keep committing their crimes, no matter at what cost. How many stories have we seen where a pedophile goes to jail and immediately starts going right back to doing awful things? philip garrido for an example. They DO NOT just stop. I find it hard to believe that if Heinrich is the one responsible for murdering Jacob, that it was a one off. Maybe the intense coverage on the case in Minnesota could have scared him off for a time, but the drive to keep going for these creeps is so powerful that I could only imagine they'd go back.

I for one would like to believe that Jacob fought back. I don't believe that DH is/was a serial killer, but definitely a serial sex offender.

I keep telling myself the mystery of what happened to Jacob has been solved...but then why do I still feel so empty, with so many questions about what happened and what went wrong...

BBM

I feel the same way. I think because we're still in shock (even though the news isn't "shocking" in that it was a likely outcome in the case). We need time to absorb the idea of Jacob being missing to Jacob being gone for good.

Jacob's case touched many people. It's going to take a bit of time to adjust.

jmopinion

The convergence point on your "quick sketch up" is not the same area shown in your attachment 100732. As you can determine from your own "measuring stick," Pirz Lake - which is the lake shown in your attachment - is two miles beyond the 1 1/2 mile radius from DH's mother's house. I might add that the ENTIRE AREA from St. Joseph to Paynesville - except for the small towns along the way (e.g., Cold Spring, Richmond) - is comprised of farms and "lush, green vegetation."

To be fair, we don't know that DH is actually the killer, accomplice, or was privy to information... I mean obviously he almost certainly is, but that information isn't official yet. I would also find it hard to believe that a pedophile who killed an 11 year old boy and not be caught for longer than my lifetime wouldn't commit more crimes that were similar. There were links in the area pertaining to kidnapping and rape, but not murder. The average serial killer doesn't stop until they're caught or get too old, but pedophiles seem WAAAAY more compelled to keep committing their crimes, no matter at what cost. How many stories have we seen where a pedophile goes to jail and immediately starts going right back to doing awful things? philip garrido for an example. They DO NOT just stop. I find it hard to believe that if Heinrich is the one responsible for murdering Jacob, that it was a one off.

I agree to an extent. We looked at this a few months ago and couldn't find any crimes of this nature that he could have committed (the overall pattern disappeared in central MN). Now, couple your observations with the fact that no such crimes occurred. What does that tell you? As I posted earlier, I think this crime (specifically the one with J.E.W.) was atypical.

To be fair, we don't know that DH is actually the killer, accomplice, or was privy to information... I mean obviously he almost certainly is, but that information isn't official yet. I would also find it hard to believe that a pedophile who killed an 11 year old boy and not be caught for longer than my lifetime wouldn't commit more crimes that were similar. There were links in the area pertaining to kidnapping and rape, but not murder. The average serial killer doesn't stop until they're caught or get too old, but pedophiles seem WAAAAY more compelled to keep committing their crimes, no matter at what cost. How many stories have we seen where a pedophile goes to jail and immediately starts going right back to doing awful things? philip garrido for an example. They DO NOT just stop. I find it hard to believe that if Heinrich is the one responsible for murdering Jacob, that it was a one off.

He assaulted Jared before Jacob correct? Being a pedophile does not mean you are a murderer necessarily so perhaps he assaulted children prior to Jacob's murder and something happened with Jacob and he ended up killing him. He could have been scared off predation for a long time due to that. Maybe he got his outlet through the *advertiser censored* that was found? Anything is possible really, he could have assaulted other children in the years between I have no idea. I'm just glad he'll likely be away forever due to the *advertiser censored* charges.

The convergence point on your "quick sketch up" is not the same area shown in your attachment 100732. As you can determine from your own "measuring stick," Pirz Lake - which is the lake shown in your attachment - is two miles beyond the 1 1/2 mile radius from DH's mother's house. I might add that the ENTIRE AREA from St. Joseph to Paynesville - except for the small towns along the way (e.g., Cold Spring, Richmond) - is comprised of farms and "lush, green vegetation."

Ok, well I disagree with you. Google maps shows only patches of green. Much of the area is very large, open area. And the point of the exercise was FWIW, and was a match based on three constraints:
1. distance reported from Paynesville
2. distance reported from St. Joseph
3. vegetation of the area in question.

No, the distances are not exact, but they are the closest match of all three constraints.

Ok, well I disagree with you. Google maps shows only patches of green. Much of the area is very large, open area. And the point of the exercise was FWIW, and was a match based on three constraints:
1. distance reported from Paynesville
2. distance reported from St. Joseph
3. vegetation of the area in question.

No, the distances are not exact, but they are the closest match of all three constraints.

We call those "very large, open areas" "FARMS" around here.

He assaulted Jared before Jacob correct? Being a pedophile does not mean you are a murderer necessarily so perhaps he assaulted children prior to Jacob's murder and something happened with Jacob and he ended up killing him. He could have been scared off predation for a long time due to that. Maybe he got his outlet through the *advertiser censored* that was found? Anything is possible really, he could have assaulted other children in the years between I have no idea. I'm just glad he'll likely be away forever due to the *advertiser censored* charges.
I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm just saying that history would dictate that it would be unusual if he was free for so long that he would only end up killing one child, even if the murder wan't the intended goal, who killed Jacob could certainly do it again if it meant they didn't get caught. Also, for these pedophiles who go out and kidnap, *advertiser censored* will never come close to being enough for them. If the killer isn't caught in relatively short time, or it wasn't a loved one or a relative that murdered them, most will continue on...

How did he know where Jacob was buried? As far as an accomplice, he always acted alone before.

The mystery is how a hands on perp who upped his actions stopped .,Is it possible?

I am also curious to know the answers to some of our other long standing questions. Like, did he stalk Jacob at the hockey practice? Did he see the boys at Tom Thumb and then race back to DR driveway? Was he the perp that tried to abduct "Andrew" that summer of 89?

To be fair, we don't know that DH is actually the killer, accomplice, or was privy to information... I mean obviously he almost certainly is, but that information isn't official yet. I would also find it hard to believe that a pedophile who killed an 11 year old boy and not be caught for longer than my lifetime wouldn't commit more crimes that were similar. There were links in the area pertaining to kidnapping and rape, but not murder. The average serial killer doesn't stop until they're caught or get too old, but pedophiles seem WAAAAY more compelled to keep committing their crimes, no matter at what cost. How many stories have we seen where a pedophile goes to jail and immediately starts going right back to doing awful things? philip garrido for an example. They DO NOT just stop. I find it hard to believe that if Heinrich is the one responsible for murdering Jacob, that it was a one off. Maybe the intense coverage on the case in Minnesota could have scared him off for a time, but the drive to keep going for these creeps is so powerful that I could only imagine they'd go back.

I totally disagree with your theory.

The whole story has not been verified, however his DNA was discovered on JW's clothes, and in the news articles linked was taken/told to the site where his remains were located.

I will never doubt he murdered Jacob.

jmo

I am also curious to know the answers to some of our other long standing questions. Like, did he stalk Jacob at the hockey practice? Did he see the boys at Tom Thumb and then race back to DR driveway? Was he the perp that tried to abduct "Andrew" that summer of 89?

I don't think he was specifically stalking Jacob since he didn't know which child he was going to take until he asked them their ages and then decided.

The whole story has not been verified, however his DNA was discovered on JW's clothes, and in the news articles linked was taken/told to the site where his remains were located.

jmo

His DNA was found on Jacob's clothes? I must have missed that. When was that reported?

jmo
While it isn't confirmed, I do believe he murdered JW as well, Heinrich was also conclusively proven to be the assailant in Jared's case. All I'm saying is it's unusual.

I did a quick sketch up from google. The two distances converge on the green area.

View attachment 100742

Hi Sigrun .... it is beside a state highway (can be seen in the video below) .... and the reporter calls it by name which I cannot figure out .... sounds like she says "Rosenna State Highway" or something similar ... listen to it and see what you think ... thanks

0:44 ... reporter on highway .... cars and trucks go by
1:15 ... sounds like she says "Rosenna" State Highway

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/...s-they-will-find-wetterling/?e=jYKYvvuzawHEJg

Im not saying they shouldn't ..I asked you to do one thing and that was to understand what iam trying to say here...clearly you didn't understand ..with out this guy both parents would have died not knowing if jacob was alive being tortured sex trafficing or dead and iam saying at the very least ,he did 1 good deed in coming forword and saying where he left jacob...yes kill the *advertiser censored* but u have to note that the parents only got what they got today because he came forword..

I definitely see what you are saying. I think he did the only thing I could respect, and he finally gave it up. I do appreciate that. I think of all the killers who take their secrets to the grave. I wish he would have spoken up sooner, but I am grateful he didn't carry this to the grave with him. He in a sense gave them a gift. A gift that never needed to be given. A gift he first stole, then kept secret, but finally gave back up. It makes me sick that predators can prey on someone, and then be applauded for admitting their evil truths. But, it's better than the what ifs, maybes and countless other question they could leave them with. So there is, in some twisted way, something to be grateful for.

I'm still in shock over this. I really thought we may never know, but, I am so glad the parents finally can lay Jacob to rest. They can finally seek justice. They deserve justice and to have their little boy home, yet Jacob never deserved any of the things that happened to him. It breaks my heart to think the best thing for the Wetterlings is that now they can bury their son. They should be holding their grandchildren from him, not finally just beginning to seek closure. It's one of those cases you just realize, life is not fair. It can be cruel, unjust, in favor of evil at times. But that evil dwindles in the light and love of the good. That is the only solace in all this. People will remember the grinning little Jacob, and what his parents have done. The evil one will be forgotten.

BBM

I understand your sentiments and I am frustrated too.

But I don't agree that LE dropped the ball and the suspect should have been charged back then. What if your son or husband had driven/walked in that area, with tires that 'matched' and shoes that were the same size as the kidnappers? I bet there are millions of males who had tires and shoes the same size as those tracks. And lots of people have police scanners. Myself included.

I would not want to be in a community where a suspect could be arrested because of coincidences and no solid evidence. :no:

Pfftttt, this post might mean something if the cops hadn't destroyed Dan Rassier's life when they had no evidence. They had way more evidence DH did it, but that didn't stop them from harassing DR and turning the whole town against him. I guess you're okay with living in a town like that though. Not wanting to pin it on an innocent man had nothing to do with why DH was never publicly named a suspect. Unlike you I believe the police did mess and drop the ball.

There were NOT "millions" of men at that time with those exact shoe prints in that exact size who also happened to have those exact tire prints. They were a specific and identifiable brand of shoe and often tire prints with show a very specific wear pattern and unique nicks that with show in the cast. They're like finger prints, no two are alike. I think the police dropped the ball because they focused on DR from the beginning. I think they had enough evidence for a warrant to search DH's car and home all those years ago and if they had, they would have found child *advertiser censored* and maybe DNA evidence. They messed up and it wasn't because of some noble desire not to pin it on an innocent person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum