Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why rebury him at all? Why not just let someone find him? In 1987 how likely would it have been that his remains would have been tied back to the killer?

I am glad Jacob is home but these details today has just made me sick and broken hearted.
Bobcats aren't quiet things to operate even now. I'm sure they were very loud in 1989. His burial story just sounds bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he doesn't know how to properly use Bobcat.
Regardless, it's irrelevant. What's the difference on how he dug the hole? If he was going to lie, presumably he would lie about the crime itself. He could have floated one of those "ACCIDENTAL" death scenarios posters here were coming up with.

I imagine it would be difficult to float an accidental death if Jacob was indeed shot execution style. And I do think picking at these details is very relevant. Finding him in a lie could result in him facing actual charges. If anyone can find a flaw in his testimony, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a WS member!

Well said. And also I want to know what more LE thought they needed. They had shoe track similarities, tire track similarities, MO similarities, and Paynesville chief of police saying DH was a suspect. Hello McFly, anybody home? Think McFly, think! If not enough to convict, then please continue to investigate more aggressively.

Maybe he doesn't know how to properly use Bobcat.
Regardless, it's irrelevant. What's the difference on how he dug the hole? If he was going to lie, presumably he would lie about the crime itself. He could have floated one of those "ACCIDENTAL" death scenarios posters here were coming up with.

Hard to explain the accidental bullet holes,

I was floating the acidental death. Would be easier for the parents, The horror is not pleasant, is it.

I don't know WHY he would make it up....just seems really strange to steal a bobcat to dig a hole when you could steal a proper shovel.

Did he drive his car to the construction site and leave it there while driving the bobcat back to the murder site?

I suppose it's possible.....but it's still bizarre to me.

Since it was at a gravel pit, I'm assuming the construction site was right there within walking distance. He had to see it from where he was. No way he could chance getting in his car, driving somewhere and somebody finding Jacob in the meantime. I'll bet anything it was in his field of vision.

There was a case in Australia where a cold-blooded, psychopathic serial killer, surprise, killed a bunch of people. Circumstantially, they knew he did it. Same problem. It was obvious he was guilty, but it wasn’t the kind of thing you could convict on. And they had no bodies, just a bunch of missing people that were circumstantially tied to the POI. So, they set up an elaborate sting and totally duped this guy. He took them right to the remains in the Outback and they found several bodies there. He was convicted and is now in prison. That is how you take the gloves off, that is how you manage assertively and that is how you prioritize.
If I learn something new to change my mind I will, but so far that is how I see this. Bad management.

Snipped for focus. The case of Stephanie Bennett near me is another one where it took a while for the police to id a suspect. Once they did, they didn't have enough evidence to even get a warrant for DNA. They spent weeks trailing him and trying to get usable DNA from him until they got it and we're able to arrest him.

I'm guessing the Stearns county sheriffs department may not have had the resources to do that, but I bet the FBI did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

They did that with Heinrich, For months. Not a year though

Exactly!

Or consider these possibilities: 1. A person who didn't really know how to run a bobcat would dig an insufficient hole. 2. It was dark enough for him not to see the hole from up in the bobcat. 3. He was in a RUSH!

I imagine it would be difficult to float an accidental death if Jacob was indeed shot execution style. And I do think picking at these details is very relevant. Finding him in a lie could result in him facing actual charges. If anyone can find a flaw in his testimony, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a WS member!

Which is why there is no reason for him to lie on how he dug the hole.

I am broken hearted. This piece of **** got to go on with his life, hurting more innocents.
I have no wise word. Except to say, yes, there are evil people among us. They look normal.
So scary.
Who can you trust?
Sad.

AFTER he got immunity.

Since it was at a gravel pit, I'm assuming the construction site was right there within walking distance. He had to see it from where he was. No way he could chance getting in his car, driving somewhere and somebody finding Jacob in the meantime. I'll bet anything it was in his field of vision.

One source I read said it was from a construction site. Another said a construction business. There is a farm equipment place down the road on the north side.

Why rebury him at all? Why not just let someone find him? In 1987 how likely would it have been that his remains would have been tied back to the killer?

I am glad Jacob is home but these details today has just made me sick and broken hearted.
Bobcats aren't quiet things to operate even now. I'm sure they were very loud in 1989. His burial story just sounds bizarre.

He was already suspected. If LE found a body early on, there could potentially be enough evidence to convict him.

Or consider these possibilities: 1. A person who didn't really know how to run a bobcat would dig an insufficient hole. 2. It was dark enough for him not to see the hole from up in the bobcat. 3. He was in a RUSH!

Now I do think that's the most logical explanation, using a bobcat and not being experienced is a hard thing to do. Do we know what the weather/moon cycle was? Would love to know if it was a clear night with a full moon or what.

I truly hope someone is pouring over the details he gave them, wouldn't it be great if they found a lie...

**warning, graphic**

I really have a hard time believing his details of the abuse inflicted on Jacob. I'm wondering if there could possibly be evidence left like blood/dna on Jacobs clothes that would indicate a worse scenario than be described. Would that be enough evidence to perjury himself?

I'd like to hear more about how they "followed" Heinrich after he was questioned.

The local officials at the time seems to have gone silent.

I actually heard the retired Stearns County sheriff at the time has a note on his front door telling media to don't even knock!

A transcript of the proceeding would be so useful given these varying media accounts.

In WCCO story:
-gun used was obtained after the JS abduction
-DH was in the field with JW for a half hour
- Second burial site a mile from the first burial site?

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/09/06/heinrich-court-wetterling-abduction/

Heinrich said he then handcuffed Jacob hands behind his back and forced him into the front seat. According to Heinrich Jacob asked, “What did I do wrong?”

He walked to a nearby construction company and found a Bobcat.
per:
http://www.startribune.com/danny-heinrich-confesses-to-abducting-and-killing-jacob-wetterling/392438361/

Heinrich said he then handcuffed Jacob hands behind his back and forced him into the front seat. According to Heinrich Jacob asked, “What did I do wrong?”

That's what I remember too but the FULL transcript would be useful.

I wasn't expecting this much information being publicly released today.
First and foremost, I have so much respect for the Wetterling family. Their integrity and strength is nothing short of amazing to me. Even with a tragedy of this magnitude they have never lost sight of who they are, what they were fighting for and for Jacobs Hope. I commend them and have the upmost respect for them. They are true role models that deserve to be recognized for all that they have done for missing and exploited children and for their strong morals and judgement. The majority of the population wouldn't be able to stay composed or focused for all these years and especially when hearing the confession and the details of Jacobs assault and murder. I believe their strength was for Jacob and they did it because that's what he would have wanted. My deepest condolences and sympathies are with the Wetterling family during this difficult time.

I would guess that we all know of people that have had bad childhoods, bad experiences or tragedy happen to them that have gone on to live normal productive lives. So, how does someone get this messed up to think that they have the right to kidnap, sexually abuse, assault, exploit, and murder? Not to mention, thinking they are justified in taking away and defining how the family and friends of the victims live the rest of their lives. This monster literally stole the lives of so many people, granted they are still living and breathing, but I guarantee you they are not living their lives the same as they would have prior to the day the crime was committed to them or their loved one. Where is justice for them and why isn't that a criminal offense that's punishable by law?

I'd like to hear more about how they "followed" Heinrich after he was questioned.

The local officials at the time seems to have gone silent.

I actually heard the retired Stearns County sheriff at the time has a note on his front door telling media to don't even knock!

My guess is he would only be followed for a short time. Not for a whole year.

Now I do think that's the most logical explanation, using a bobcat and not being experienced is a hard thing to do. Do we know what the weather/moon cycle was? Would love to know if it was a clear night with a full moon or what.

I truly hope someone is pouring over the details he gave them, wouldn't it be great if they found a lie...

**warning, graphic**

I really have a hard time believing his details of the abuse inflicted on Jacob. I'm wondering if there could possibly be evidence left like blood/dna on Jacobs clothes that would indicate a worse scenario than be described. Would that be enough evidence to perjury himself?

Law enforcement and prosecutors are very satisfied with this deal that ended almost 27 years of mystery. So are the families. I'm certain they are not looking to pick apart the account in any way. They have been very adamant that this was the only way to resolve this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum